Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Winds of Winter (Book 6 Discussion) **SPOILERS for all books & future books**

Options
1141516171820»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭intellectual dosser

What are the original sources behind this controversial chapter?

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Hibbeler

Wasn't all of this based on the comments of one of the people GRRM gets to read over his work (not sure who it was, Elia Garcia maybe?) who said that he read one Sansa chapter from TWOW that might be controversial to some people. Obviously all of the speculation since then has caused the whole thing to balloon up. It might be bad, it might not be.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭GerB40

What are the original sources behind this controversial chapter?

Elio and Linda at westeros.org are basically George R R Martins unofficial personal assistants. They know the story inside out (even moreso than George in some cases) so whenever George is stuck or forgets certain details he contacts Elio and Linda who will invariably get him out of whichever jam he finds himself in. Because of this trust they have been given snippets of what's to come in the next book or two and it was them who mentioned this infamous chapter.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Hibbeler

GRRM says he wants to finish Winds by 2016...

http://www.ew.com/article/2015/04/03/george-rr-martin-winds-date

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭GerB40

Hibbeler wrote: »
    GRRM says he wants to finish Winds by 2016...

http://www.ew.com/article/2015/04/03/george-rr-martin-winds-date

It's good to hear a sense of urgency from the main man regarding TWoW but one part has me intrigued.

In one intriguing new wrinkle, Martin says he just came up with a big, revealing twist on a long-time character that he never previously considered. “This is going to drive your readers crazy,” he teases, “but I love it. I’m still weighing whether to go that direction or not. It’s a great twist. It’s easy to do things that are shocking or unexpected, but they have to grow out of characters. They have to grow out of situations. Otherwise, it’s just being shocking for being shocking. But this is something that seems very organic and natural, and I could see how it would happen. And with the various three, four characters involved… it all makes sense. But it’s nothing I’ve ever thought of before. And it’s nothing they can do in the show, because the show has already—on this particular character—made a couple decisions that will preclude it, where in my case I have not made those decisions.”

What more could he possibly put us through?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,304 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

Must not get excited. Must not get excited. Must not get excited.

I wonder what the twist would be :)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

GerB40 wrote: »
    It's good to hear a sense of urgency from the main man regarding TWoW but one part has me intrigued.

In one intriguing new wrinkle, Martin says he just came up with a big, revealing twist on a long-time character that he never previously considered. “This is going to drive your readers crazy,” he teases, “but I love it. I’m still weighing whether to go that direction or not. It’s a great twist. It’s easy to do things that are shocking or unexpected, but they have to grow out of characters. They have to grow out of situations. Otherwise, it’s just being shocking for being shocking. But this is something that seems very organic and natural, and I could see how it would happen. And with the various three, four characters involved… it all makes sense. But it’s nothing I’ve ever thought of before. And it’s nothing they can do in the show, because the show has already—on this particular character—made a couple decisions that will preclude it, where in my case I have not made those decisions.”

What more could he possibly put us through?
    Dany going back to Quarth or Jeyne Westerling having Robbs child would be my best guesses.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,805 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Dany going back to Quarth or Jeyne Westerling having Robbs child would be my best guesses.

The thread title warns against spoilers, do we need to use spoiler tags? It's annoying on the phone.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

I was rereading book two last night.

When Davos meets with Salladhor Saan in the inn on Dragonstone Salladhor describes the forging of the flaming sword. First he tempered it with animal blood but it was roo brittle so finally he stabbed his wife to temper the steel for he loved her best.

Jon was "smoking" when he was stabbed. I wonder if stabbing the Red woman will turn his blade into the lightbringer

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Hans Bricks

I was rereading book two last night.

When Davos meets with Salladhor Saan in the inn on Dragonstone Salladhor describes the forging of the flaming sword. First he tempered it with animal blood but it was roo brittle so finally he stabbed his wife to temper the steel for he loved her best.

Jon was "smoking" when he was stabbed. I wonder if stabbing the Red woman will turn his blade into the lightbringer

Azor Ahai had to kill the love of his life for Lightbringer to be truly forged. I imagine it would have to have been Ygritte or possibly Arya in that case. Melisandre couldn't possibly be Nissa Nissa from Jon's POV.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,086 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Azor Ahai had to kill the love of his life for Lightbringer to be truly forged. I imagine it would have to have been Ygritte or possibly Arya in that case. Melisandre couldn't possibly be Nissa Nissa from Jon's POV.

Or Ghost

• Registered Users Posts: 17,869 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Stab Arya or Ghost? Seriously?

Thargor wrote: »
    Stab Arya or Ghost? Seriously?

I was thinking of potential Nissa Nissa candidates and since Ygritte has already kicked the bucket, Arya is arguably the most important female in Jon's life. Not in an incestual sense either though.

You probably won't find much better than this in terms of believable theories & cryptic messages from GRRM

http://gameofthronesandnorsemythology.blogspot.ie/2013/05/ragnarok-song-of-ice-fire.html

I've only read three blog posts. They're very long, but definitely worth the read if you're interested in predicting what will happen for the rest of the series. Really made my head spin.

Advertisement