Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Winds of Winter (Book 6 Discussion) **SPOILERS for all books & future books**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭Burt Macklin

Whose head has Qyburn used to make Robert Strong, Robb Stark or King Robert, we know it is most likely The Mountains body that has been used, I would imagine either Robb or King Robert have been used hence the name Robert.

My personal favourite theory is that Qyburn used Falyse Stokeworth's head, mainly because the image of The Mountain's body with Falyse's head is hilarious.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭chickenboy

Whose head has Qyburn used to make Robert Strong, Robb Stark or King Robert, we know it is most likely The Mountains body that has been used, I would imagine either Robb or King Robert have been used hence the name Robert.

I'm sure a vision Bran had suggests that he doesn't have any head at all. It was three knights looming, one I took to be the hound, one to be Jamie, and the other with oozing black blood and darkness when he opened his helm.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

chickenboy wrote: »
    I'm sure a vision Bran had suggests that he doesn't have any head at all. It was three knights looming, one I took to be the hound, one to be Jamie, and the other with oozing black blood and darkness when he opened his helm.

This. It does sound like them 3 alrite. The golden one could be The Viper too, but more than likely Jamie.
    While Bran is in a coma from his fall in A Game of Thrones, he has a dream while flying with the three-eyed crow:
    “ "There were shadows all around them. One Shadow was dark as ash, with the terrible face of a hound. Another was armored like the sun, golden and beautiful. Over them loomed a Giant in armor made of stone, but when he opened his visor, there was nothing inside but darkness and thick black blood."

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Mr Freeze wrote: »
    This. It does sound like them 3 alrite. The golden one could be The Viper too, but more than likely Jamie.

What's the connection?

Sandor is his brother.
    Jamie is his brother of the Kingsguard.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭chickenboy

Gbear wrote: »
    What's the connection?

Sandor is his brother.
    Jamie is his brother of the Kingsguard.

The only connection was that they were threats to the Starks, rather than a connection between the three Knights (I think!)

• Advertisement

chickenboy wrote: »
    The only connection was that they were threats to the Starks, rather than a connection between the three Knights (I think!)

No, I was saying that there was a connection and it's that they're all brothers of some sort.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,632 ✭✭✭nerd69

Gbear wrote: »
    No, I was saying that there was a connection and it's that they're all brothers of some sort.

martell could be brother of a fallen princess?
    maby a stretch

This letter that Ramsay sent...what do ye think of it?

http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Bastard_Letter

Do ye think it was actually Ramsay that sent it or some one else? He seems to know an awful lot about the going on's in Castle Black, but then obviously hasn't defeated Stannis, as Stannis has Theon.

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭Kunkka

Do ye think it was actually Ramsay that sent it or some one else? He seems to know an awful lot about the going on's in Castle Black, but then obviously hasn't defeated Stannis, as Stannis has Theon.

My first thought was Stannis sent it to get Jon to break his vows and come south.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Kunkka wrote: »
    My first thought was Stannis sent it to get Jon to break his vows and come south.

I definitely don't think it is (want it to be) Ramsay. There is an argument to be made however that Stannis sent Theon away, but I don't think so.

It could be Mance, having somehow taken over Winterfell from the Boltons, trying to lure Jon out. If it's not Ramsay then it has to be someone who know Mance is still alive which is a very small number of people.

• Advertisement

My guess is that it was Ramsay and everything in it is true as far as he knows.

The Manderlys have butchered the Freys and gone over to Stannis.
    Stannis gives them his sword, a few of his men stick on some Frey clothing and banners and they stroll back to Winterfall with Stannis' army not too far behind.

They'll get into Winterfell and either butcher the remaining forces loyal to the Dreadfort and lock the gates, awaiting the return of Davos with Rickon, or else they'll unlock the gates and let Stannis in regardless.

In either case, they can essentially hold Stannis hostage until their plans with Davos bear fruit.

Any information in the letter could've been tortured out of Mance or given by Stannis to the Manderlys and on to Ramsay.

There's quite a few possibilities but I think that one is the most likely.

Either Mance or Stannis could easily have sent it I suppose, based on info from Theon.

I never thought of Ramsay actually sending it, based on misinformation from the Manderleys though.

The only thing that makes it really seem like it might have been Ramsay, was the constant use of the word Bastard when referring to John, and then signing off as "Trueborn Son". That really sounds like something Ramsay would do.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,846 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Hopefully the release date for this will be announced soon, although I am certainly not holding my breath. A release about this time next year with the release date announced this summer would be nice, possibly to coincide with the last episode of the TV show, and release with the first episode next season!

I'll start my re-read about 3-4 months before release date I reckon, although I could probably re-read the WoT 3 times over while waiting for release of this (I won't obviously).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

5starpool wrote: »
    Hopefully the release date for this will be announced soon, although I am certainly not holding my breath. A release about this time next year with the release date announced this summer would be nice, possibly to coincide with the last episode of the TV show, and release with the first episode next season!

I'll start my re-read about 3-4 months before release date I reckon, although I could probably re-read the WoT 3 times over while waiting for release of this (I won't obviously).

I don't expect an announcement until 2015 and I wouldn't be at all surprised if the book took until late 2016/early 2017. The man is getting to a point in his life where he wants to spend the time left with his loved ones/doing what he enjoys, and unfortunately writing the books we want is not one of them.

To be perfectly honest I'd be happy with his guarantee that the series will actually get finished.

Either Mance or Stannis could easily have sent it I suppose, based on info from Theon.

I never thought of Ramsay actually sending it, based on misinformation from the Manderleys though.

The problem I'd have with Stannis sending it is that it doesn't seem very Stannisy. If Jon broke his vows Stannis would take his head.

It'd be a bit cheeky to engineer Jon breaking his vows only to behead him for helping him after.

Mance is another one I like to an extent - the letter aligns perfectly with his motivations as well.
    But I don't see how he could possibly be free, unless he's been taught how to glamour people (rather than Mel doing it for him) and has taken Ramsay's face.

The only thing that makes it really seem like it might have been Ramsay, was the constant use of the word Bastard when referring to John, and then signing off as "Trueborn Son". That really sounds like something Ramsay would do.

Also the bit about eating hearts. Classic Ramsay.

The only problem I'd have with Ramsay being the sender is that nobody knows who Mance is so how did Ramsay find out? I know he's a renowned torturer and presumably anyone could be broken, but there's no way for anyone to verifiy who Abel is.
    He could've said he was some random wildling that Jon sent and that ought to be more plausible to Ramsay than him being a man who thousands saw die.

One explanation is that Mance told him freely for some reason. Maybe he's manipulating Ramsay? Maybe he promised him the wildlings? Maybe he promised him the North and they'd remove Roose?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,304 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

When I was reading it I thought it sounded a lot like Mance. I was sure it was him who wrote it

hotshots85 wrote: »
    George R R Martin has posted a new chapter on his blog, link below.

http://www.georgerrmartin.com/excerpt-from-the-winds-of-winter/

Separate thread created for this, but should be edited in to the 2nd post in this thread along with the other sample chapters (probably)

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭valor rorghulis

I think Ramsay wrote it based on false information.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭intellectual dosser

Really interesting interview with George R. R. Martin in Rolling Stone (found via Reddit)

I was particularly interested in the part he mentioned 'who really killed' Joffrey.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭celica00

I don't expect an announcement until 2015 and I wouldn't be at all surprised if the book took until late 2016/early 2017. The man is getting to a point in his life where he wants to spend the time left with his loved ones/doing what he enjoys, and unfortunately writing the books we want is not one of them.

To be perfectly honest I'd be happy with his guarantee that the series will actually get finished.

How would you know that, did he ever mention such a thing? :confused:

• Advertisement

celica00 wrote: »
    How would you know that, did he ever mention such a thing? :confused:

No he didn't, I am just going based on assumptions and I'd be happy to be proven wrong, Aim low and avoid disappointment is my game!

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭celica00

No he didn't, I am just going based on assumptions and I'd be happy to be proven wrong, Aim low and avoid disappointment is my game!

alright, you frigthened me for a second ha :D

Was talking with a friend last night about Tyrions outcome in this series on TV, and I decided to go back and read the chapter again.

I'm sure you all remember it, but after Jamie tells Tyrion that Tysha wasnt a whore, he asks if he actually killed Joffrey. Tyrion, livid at the Tysha revelation:
    You poor stupid blind crippled fool. Must I spell every little thing out for you? Very well. Cersei is a lying whore, she’s been ****ing Lancel and Osmund Kettleblack and probably Moon Boy for all I know. And I am the monster they all say I am. Yes, I killed your vile son

It was unnecessary, and stupid, anyone think this will have consequence in the future?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

Can you fill an non-show watcher in on Tyrion's outcome? What happened?

It was unnecessary, and stupid, anyone think this will have consequence in the future?

I don't think it was unnecessary at all (unfortunate yes, unnecessary no).....it has consequences on how both Jamie and Tyrion think at least for the next 2 books, it maybe even changes the way Jamie behaves.

Both characters end up thinking of the exchange in nearly every of their following chapters.

Jamie is always thinking:
    She’s been ****ing Lancel and Osmund Kettleblack and probably Moon Boy for all I know.

And Tyrion thinks of Tysha loads:
    Where do whores go?

I hope the exchange is in the show, but I doubt it. They would want to preserve Tyrions character, as I felt he let himself down at the moment a bit...Nobody will think less of him what he does before escaping, but for saying that to Jamie they might.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

Was talking with a friend last night about Tyrions outcome in this series on TV, and I decided to go back and read the chapter again.

I'm sure you all remember it, but after Jamie tells Tyrion that Tysha wasnt a whore, he asks if he actually killed Joffrey. Tyrion, livid at the Tysha revelation:

It always seemed odd to me that Tyrion would say that. Given that he and Jaime have been shown to be quite close since Jaime's earlier return on the show, it'll be interesting to see if it's repeated in the show.

Although the downstream effects could possibly be quite significant, so they might have to make it happen.

Next weeks episode is the finale when we expect to see Tyrions escape played out.

You've read the books but don't watch the show? You're a rare breed!

I don't think it was unnecessary at all (unfortunate yes, unnecessary no).....it has consequences on how both Jamie and Tyrion think at least for the next 2 books, it maybe even changes the way Jamie behaves.

Telling Jamie that lie was unnecessary, he told him just to piss him off after hearing about Tysha. Jamie didn't care much for Joffrey but I'm sure he still believed in his brothers innocence and was using as motivation behind the escape.

• Advertisement

Telling Jamie that lie was unnecessary, he told him just to piss him off after hearing about Tysha.

Ya, but it could be necessary for both characters development from that point on...

I was disgusted when I read it, he definitely shouldn't have done it.

Advertisement