Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Winds of Winter (Book 6 Discussion) **SPOILERS for all books & future books**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Riamfada wrote: »
    I think Melisadre will bring Jon back al la Thoros of Myr bringing back everyone.

In TV season 3 Mel meets the brotherhood who explain how this is done, this is not in the Book, so I reckon this was put in to spoonfeed viewers later on. Just like Renly & Loras. Ros to explain hidden plot lines etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    Would the throne not go to Myrcella? When Robb thought Bran and Sansa were dead, the next in line was Sansa. Was that because Robb had no Uncles or male cousins?

But Sansa is quite literally the last living, known Stark. Ned has no brothers left alive who had no sons.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

If Tommen dies then the throne will pass to his older sister Mycella.

If Mycella dies without children then the throne would have passed to her uncle Stannis.

Stannis is a traitor in the eyes of King's Landing so the throne should then be passed on to his daughter Shireen.

If Shireen is considered unsuitable due to her relationship with Stannis or her illness the next in line would be the Aegon. If he is who he thinks he is of course.

If Aegon is fake then next in line is Daenerys. By the time she arrives in Westeros she may not even have to win the throne through right of conquest.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,086 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

FunLover18 wrote: »
    But he's south of the Wall ... Has there ever been a white walker south of the Wall

Snow is south of the wall now too, Winter has come. :D

Wasn't Cold Hands South of the Wall?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,462 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

If the system still runs by Targaryen rules on succession then Myrcella would be skipped over for Stannis, the Baratheon's have Targaryen blood and took their throne so they might aswell keep their succession rules, the system was designed to prevent power struggles so it makes sense.

Coldhands couldn't pass through the Wall.

• Advertisement

Blay wrote: »
    If the system still runs by Targaryen rules on succession then Myrcella would be skipped over for Stannis, the Baratheon's have Targaryen blood and took their throne so they might aswell keep their succession rules.

Coldhands couldn't pass through the Wall.

Blay is right, Coldhands couldn't pass the Wall. I understood that the source of the whitewalkers is The Others (whether they can pass or not is unclear) but I don't think Stannis (or anyone for that matter) can become a whitewalker south of the wall ... although Qyburn seems to have found a way.

Are there any theories out there regarding the Archmaester who met Sam in Oldtown and went off to find Danaerys (I can't remember his name)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

If the system still runs by Targaryen rules on succession then Myrcella would be skipped over for Stannis, the Baratheon's have Targaryen blood and took their throne so they might aswell keep their succession rules.

That's true, but obviously the Lannisters and Tyrells aren't going to let Stannis take the throne which would mean Myrcella would be next in line regardless of whether the Targaryan laws of succession were kept.

Stannis being ruled out would likely mean that Shireen would be too.

After that there is no clear heir. The Lannisters and Tyrells would have to either legitimise one of Robert's bastards (King Gendry? :P), establish a new dynasty or hand the throne to a claimant such as Dany, Aegon or even Stannis (this would probably only happen if there was a winner emerging in the war and promises of titles/land etc were made).

I'd imagine the second option above would be the preference for the Lannisters/Tyrells at the moment with a marriage between the houses.

That's true, but obviously the Lannisters and Tyrells aren't going to let Stannis take the throne which would mean Myrcella would be next in line regardless of whether the Targaryan laws of succession were kept.

After that there is no clear heir. The Lannisters and Tyrells would have to either legitimise one of Robert's bastards (King Gendry? :P), establish a new dynasty or hand the throne to a claimant such as Dany, Aegon or even Stannis (this would probably only happen if there was a winner emerging in the war and promises of titles/land etc were made).

The second option above would be the preference at the moment with a marriage between the houses.

What about cousins? Would it not go to Stannis' uncles (if he had any) and their sons?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

Are there any theories out there regarding the Archmaester who met Sam in Oldtown and went off to find Danaerys (I can't remember his name)

Marwin the Mage? He trained Miri maz dhur who killed drogo

What about cousins? Would it not go to Stannis' uncles (if he had any) and their sons?

It would, but we know almost nothing about the extended Baratheon family or if there even is one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

Not necessarily. For example, if Shireen, as Stannis' heir, was married into another noble house at war with her father.

Not necessarily. For example, if Shireen, as Stannis' heir, was married into another noble house at war with her father.

That's why I said 'likely'. Her age, her greyscale and being at Castle Black don't make a marriage look like a possibilty any time soon though.

Blay is right, Coldhands couldn't pass the Wall. I understood that the source of the whitewalkers is The Others (whether they can pass or not is unclear) but I don't think Stannis (or anyone for that matter) can become a whitewalker south of the wall ... although Qyburn seems to have found a way.

The last vision of Quaithe tells Danaerys,

"No. Hear me, Daenerys Targaryen. The glass candles are burning..."

The Archmaester had a dragon glass candle. I would guess he is a dragon tamer, or he is on his way to try and kill them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

New trailer for Season 4 - Titan of Braavos looks good!

http://grrm.livejournal.com/360552.html

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

The last vision of Quaithe tells Danaerys,

"No. Hear me, Daenerys Targaryen. The glass candles are burning..."

Ya, It's hard to know what these glass candles are yet.

So many damn prophecies too, hopefully the next book ties up a few of them as either false or correct.

...Tommen and the Lannister clan will have lost their claim to the throne, I just hope G RR Martin doesn't go as far as to kill the kid.

I'd fully expect Tommen to be killed in a similar fashion to Rhaegar's children.

He is going to get his head smashed in at some stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭beardedmaster

Mr Freeze wrote: »
    I'd fully expect Tommen to be killed in a similar fashion to Rhaegar's children.

As horrible as that sounds, you're probably right. I hope Ser Pounce, Lady Whiskers and Boots emerge unscathed, however.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,394 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Further to my wish to see Jamie kill Cersei after she orders Kings landing burned to the ground while Danaerys' army sac the city. It would be another nice throwback to have The Undead Mountain kill both Tommen and his sister on crazy Cersei's orders because she didn't want anybody to hurt them. And to present the bodies to her wrapped in gold cloaks.

Ok last crazy theory from me for a while, what if Melisandre somehow wargs the spirt of Jon Snow from Ghost into the shell of Stannis, then her visions of Stannis and Jon Snow while thinking of Azor Ahai will be true.

Ok last crazy theory from me for a while, what if Melisandre somehow wargs the spirt of Jon Snow from Ghost into the shell of Stannis, then her visions of Stannis and Jon Snow while thinking of Azor Ahai will be true.

I just pictured Xzibit when I read that.

• Advertisement

Whose head has Qyburn used to make Robert Strong, Robb Stark or King Robert, we know it is most likely The Mountains body that has been used, I would imagine either Robb or King Robert have been used hence the name Robert.

Whose head has Qyburn used to make Robert Strong, Robb Stark or King Robert, we know it is most likely The Mountains body that has been used, I would imagine either Robb or King Robert have been used hence the name Robert.

Is it not more likely that the skull they sent to Dorne wasn't Gregor's. It's not like they can do DNA tests

^ He never removes his helm supposedly, so there might be no head.

^ He never removes his helm supposedly, so there might be no head.

Yeh but if he did remove it people would recognise the Mountain.

You could be right of course, head or no head he has to keep his helm on. We may never know

Well I think the head they sent to Dorne was probably The Mountains, as they did say it was huge, but it was just a large polished skull, so there is no definite proof that it was his.

The abnormal size of the skull would indicate that it could be The Mountain's head. I believe it's his head anyways, and Ser Robert Strong is his reanimated body with no head.

Is it not more likely that the skull they sent to Dorne wasn't Gregor's. It's not like they can do DNA tests

The head sent to Dorne was gigantic, Qyburn is a Necromancer also didn't Walder Fray send Robbs head to Kings Landing after the Frey men put Grey Winds head on Robbs body?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,462 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

No, Joffrey wanted it and Tywin told him to piss off and that's when they have their little fight.

Ya, It's hard to know what these glass candles are yet.

So many damn prophecies too, hopefully the next book ties up a few of them as either false or correct.

Obsidian or Dragon Glass candles is what they are.

No Joffrey wanted it and Tywin told him to piss off and that's when they have their little fight.

Joffrey wanted to give it to Sansa at his wedding, Tywin said no, I still think the head was sent to Kings Landing though, must look it up.

• Advertisement

Obsidian or Dragon Glass candles is what they are.

Sorry, I meant what do they mean, despite just magic being back in the world with the birth of the Dragons?

I suppose the question is, what are the Maesters up to? and what do they think the candles mean? I never read up on this at all.

Advertisement