Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where will we finish ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,695 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

Emoran wrote: »
    For what reason ? I was at the game and I expected us to win. Most people did?

For what reason have I been cringing at these comments?
    Because they are foolish and we look silly. We are only 8 points of the top but surely no one in their right mind thinks we are still EPL contenders now. The gap between us and the top 5 in terms of performances and form is huge at the moment. We have been in a downward spiral since early October but some people (myself included) have been claiming there is no crisis for the last month and using the argument 'were only X points' behind Y in the table' to argue their point.

I was talking about the Liverpool game, I expected a draw or hopefully better myself.

We are all a bit wounded right now, and I for one will be keeping my head down and staying quiet for the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭jobeenfitz

For what reason have I been cringing at these comments?
    Because they are foolish and we look silly. We are only 8 points of the top but surely no one in their right mind thinks we are still EPL contenders now. The gap between us and the top 5 in terms of performances and form is huge at the moment. We have been in a downward spiral since early October but some people (myself included) have been claiming there is no crisis for the last month and using the argument 'were only X points' behind Y in the table' to argue their point.

I was talking about the Liverpool game, I expected a draw or hopefully better myself.

We are all a bit wounded right now, and I for one will be keeping my head down and staying quiet for the moment.

I don't see any problem guessing where we will finish. I don't see any problem having an optimistic outlook. It is easy to say it is silly when things go wrong but there was also a chance things could have gone better and we could be a lot closer to the top. I was one of the optimistic ones and just because I am wrong I don't feel silly. I might get it right, next year maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

Everton drawing with West Brom keeps us 5th (level on points for 4th) going into the City game. Wouldn't have expected that after losing 5-0 to Liverpool.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭ziedth

City
    Hull
    Everton
    Newcastle
    Norwich
    Cardiff

Those are our next 6 and will simply IMO define our season. 12 or more points and ill start to believe in the possibility of a top 4. 10ish which is what I think we'll get isn't a disaster but it won't be enough and someone will pull away.

I reckon the top 3 (order aside) the majority will agree on. I still think Liverpool with Suarez firing will have it all but wrapped up come may but if any of the 5 teams hovering put a decent run together they can do it.

Like I said, the next 6 will tell a hell of allot.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,904 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Our run in is also favourable.
    Sunderland - H
    West Brom - A
    Fulham - H
    Stoke - A
    Westham - A
    Aston Villa - H

We used to have a horrid away record, we've more or less always had that stigma. I wonder why/how it has change?

The lane should be a fortress, we start games in a lazy fashion, we've looked nervous too at times and teams can sense that.

We'll be in with a fight for fourth for the remaining of the season. If Vertonghen and Kaboul could regain fitness and remain fit for the remainder, then this would be a huge lift.

I'd be worried about the Europa League, seems to be our Achilles heel each season. And losing Defoe at a crucial stage in the season is just barmy without a replacement. Someone else needs to step up with a few goals, what have the midfield contributed?

Soldado has got to come good before the season is out.

• Advertisement

March is our crucial month. Some awful games then.

Just had a look at March, that's tough indeed. All about grinding out results, I look forward to it. Love to snatch fourth place at the death for a change.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭DubPerryman

Sugarlumps wrote: »
    I'd be worried about the Europa League, seems to be our Achilles heel each season. And losing Defoe at a crucial stage in the season is just barmy without a replacement. Someone else needs to step up with a few goals, what have the midfield contributed?

Thankfully, it looks more than likely that TS will play the youth in the Europa Cup. He came out on Sunday and said his job is dependent on us getting on 4th, which is nice to hear.

Hopefully the Europa won't be as much of a hindrance going forward.

Thankfully, it looks more than likely that TS will play the youth in the Europa Cup. He came out on Sunday and said his job is dependent on us getting on 4th, which is nice to hear.

Hopefully the Europa won't be as much of a hindrance going forward.

I hope you're right, injuries are the last thing we need. Presume Soldado will feature in those games.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

Sugarlumps wrote: »
    Our run in is also favourable.
    Sunderland - H
    West Brom - A
    Fulham - H
    Stoke - A
    Westham - A
    Aston Villa - H

Remember all of the above will most likely be fighting relegation mate.

• Advertisement

Hatch99 wrote: »
    Remember all of the above will most likely be fighting relegation mate.

Very true, but all winnable. Our record against lower opposition has been good this season, me thinks? I'd love to banish Westham.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Leinstersqspur

Up until last weekend none of the clubs above us were dropping points, now Everton and Liverpool have, long may that continue.

The Europa League should not be a priority, it would be nice to win it but too much effort required for such a poorly constructed tournament.

PS. If Dawson starts on Wednesday week we'll be in trouble, should be a great game though.

Hopefully there will be a friendly behind closed doors over the weekend which Vertonghen will get a run out in.

Though I see Sherwood being loyal to Dawson. I don't know why, it could be the English thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,695 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

Not this thread again. Its been a jinx to our season aspirations since it started. Banish it to hell I tell ya, to hellllll!!!

Hopefully there will be a friendly behind closed doors over the weekend which Vertonghen will get a run out in.

As suspected....

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2896/premier-league/2014/01/23/4564515/-?
    Younes Kaboul, Paulinho, Sandro and Jan Vertonghen all returned to action as Tottenham beat West Ham in a behind-closed-doors friendly on Thursday.

The four players have missed 26 Premier League matches between them since the start of December, as new manager Tim Sherwood has been forced to shuffle his pack in the middle of defence and midfield.

But they were all back on the pitch against the Hammers, with Sandro - out since the 5-0 defeat against Liverpool which prompted Andre Villas-Boas' sacking - playing the first half.

Paulinho, who last featured for Spurs against Stoke on December 29, played for an hour and was on the scoresheet in a 3-0 win.

Kaboul, who has not played since Manchester City beat the north Londoners 6-0 in November, and Vertonghen, missing since December 4, also played 60 minutes as they stepped up their recovery.

Would they be in contention for City, for the bench I mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Left Back on the Bench

That's good news. I'd throw them all on the bench, maybe starting Jan instead of Dawson. Don't know will he do that. I'd definitely keep the same formation

That's good news. I'd throw them all on the bench, maybe starting Jan instead of Dawson. Don't know will he do that. I'd definitely keep the same formation

I can see Dawson starting, TS seems like the loyal sort. Even though I think we all know it's a mistake.

Sandro should start, to break things up, but we've been saying the same about Capoue for the last three matches, and that hasn't happened.

I think we'll see the same tactics/starting 11 as the Swansea match. Though Chadli maybe quite fortunate to keep his place.

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Left Back on the Bench

I can see Dawson starting, TS seems like the loyal sort. Even though I think we all know it's a mistake.

Sandro should start, to break things up, but we've been saying the same about Capoue for the last three matches, and that hasn't happened.

I think we'll see the same tactics/starting 11 as the Swansea match. Though Chadli maybe quite fortunate to keep his place.
    Who'll he drop for Sandro though? I wouldn't play Chadli either, maybe go with siggy wide. Hope he doesn't play 4-4-2

There's no way he'll play 4-4-2, no doubt it'll be the same formation as last week. Although Sherwood isn't the most articulate in interviews, he's not exactly a door stop either. He's done well up to now?

Sigurdsson must start ahead of Chadli. He runs around with circus music jangling in his ears. We start every game so slow, were the one's at home, so play like the home team for a change. I fancy us getting something, certainly not a repeat mauling.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

Did townsend play ? Is he fit ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Leinstersqspur

We played 4-3-3 v Swansea when we had the ball. Funny, some reports suggested Chadli had one of his best games for us.

Wouldn't be surprised if we start the same team as last time out, too soon for Vertz & Kaboul me thinks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭White Heart Loon

Chadli is good cover for Rose though

Just following on from the chat in the off topic thread, it really looks like March is moving month. We have a load of tough fixtures, as do Arsenal. It seems like a lot of the 'top 6' are playing each other in March.

Our run-in is handy enough. If we're still in the hunt for a top 4 come April, we could win our final six (on current form).

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭ziedth

Could be a VERY different looking league come the end of March. Only then I think we'll know who is in with a chance.

It suits us this year as we have been written off (rightly) for some time. If we are out of it come may then I don't think it will come as a surprise to anyone but being up there will be a world away from my feelings after the Liverpool game.

After AVB left I joked about Hoddle coming in and instantly changing us to a 3-5-2..... but would it be the worst idea??

We need to have two up front in order to get the best out of Adebayor/Soldado.

Dawson's pace is a worry, but he seems to be a good leader. So pace either side of him would help.

Eriksen is arguably our most creative and influential player, plus he keeps drifting in centrally when he's played out left.

Also, TS seems to want to play Bentaleb in every match, yet we all agree that we need more cover for the defence.

Finally, Lennon had yet another ineffective day today against Hull.

Bearing all the above in mind. How would the following appeal to everyone?

Lloris

Kaboul - Dawson - Vertonghen

Walker
    Rose

Sandro --- Bentaleb

Eriksen

Ade --- Soldado

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭3ships

In that formation depending on opposition

Below is the against Top4 defalut - Vlad as sweeper/cover

Lloris

Kaboul - Vlad - Vertonghen

Walker
    Rose

Sandro

Paulo Dembele

Erikson

Ade

3ships wrote: »
    In that formation depending on opposition

Below is the against Top4 defalut - Vlad as sweeper/cover

Lloris

Kaboul - Vlad - Vertonghen

Walker
    Rose

Sandro

Paulo Dembele

Erikson

Ade

I dunno we seem awful one sided there!

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Hammar

irishmover wrote: »
    I dunno we seem awful one sided there!

3Ships obviously rates Walker very highly!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

After today I'm downgrading my expectations for this season,not a hope of getting 4th,Liverpool must be favourites for it now.

Advertisement