Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where will we finish ?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 868 ✭✭✭Gerry91

Neutral-

Believe me ye can win the league this year!

I think it's going to be between yerselves and the rivals. Bold prediction maybe but we'll see...

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭Deisler

I would happily take top 4 and a trophy. Still, you never know!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭slegs

A draw with Chelsea is a great result from a game we usually get well beaten in (we should have gone in 2 up though). We continue to draw against our main rivals and they are dropping points too. It is everyone below us we need to beat as United used to do in recent years. With United and City apparently looking fragile in their first year of new managers and Chelsea an accident waiting to happen with Mourinho I don't think we will get a better chance in the next 5 years.

Arsenals record is very impressive in last 6 months since their poor start to last season. They have really become very consistent. The Aston Villa game was the first league game in last 15 that they haven't won I think? They went 10 on the trot at the end of last season didnt they?

Levy get another top striker in January and this could be the year!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

We can definitely finish ahead of united . If I was to make a prediction today. It would be

1. Chelsea
    2. Arsenal
    3. Spurs
    4. City

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Relax lads, it's early yet. We were about 10 points ahead of Arsenal last March iirc, before dropping 12 points in the next 8 games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Leinstersqspur

Let's just go out and beat Spammers, Villa, Hull, Everton & Newcastle in our next fives games and we'll assess our position then. Will we throw away points against Everton again this season?

If we get 15pts from our next five we're contenders for top 3. If we're in the mix with ten games to go we're title contenders.

But let's not get silly too soon. Just be optimistic;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,936 ✭✭✭SuprSi

THFC wrote: »
    Relax lads, it's early yet. We were about 10 points ahead of Arsenal last March iirc, before dropping 12 points in the next 8 games.

Absolutely, we're 6 games into the season, the Manchester clubs will come good at some point so we've got to get as many points as possible over the next few months to galvanise the team. I don't think we're title contenders yet, but we're definite contenders for at least 4th spot. Let's just hope we don't bottle it this time around.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭GS11

Let's just go out and beat Spammers, Villa, Hull, Everton & Newcastle in our next fives games and we'll assess our position then. Will we throw away points against Everton again this season?

If we get 15pts from our next five we're contenders for top 3. If we're in the mix with ten games to go we're title contenders.

But let's not get silly too soon. Just be optimistic;)

I think this season we should be in a better position to beat teams that are weaker than us, we lacked the creativity to do that last season and it cost us.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,901 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

GS11 wrote: »
    I think this season we should be in a better position to beat teams that are weaker than us, we lacked the creativity to do that last season and it cost us.

That's what has always gone against us over the years, the odd upset is understandable, but you've got to show consistence over the so called lesser teams, grind the results out if needs be.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,547 ✭✭✭golfball37

Charlie Nicholas made a good point on Soccer Saturday about us.

We have a terrific squad but winners are decided by how players play under pressure and in the high pressure games. We are still behind a host of other squads in that respect.

I can see us beating all the teams weaker than us but being outclassed in some of the big games. Hopefully one or two wins in these will give us the confidence we need to perform under pressure. The 2nd half on Saturday was a re-affirming that we are not used to winning big games, until that mindset changes we won't win the EPL.

We should still finish in the top 3 this season however imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Devo from Dublin

I think Paulinho needs a rest.
    Surely wont be involved against Anzhi.??

I think Paulinho needs a rest.
    Surely wont be involved against Anzhi.??

hope not, he needs a rest for sure, as does dembele

sandro will play over there

• Registered Users Posts: 9,680 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

golfball37 wrote: »

We have a terrific squad but winners are decided by how players play under pressure and in the high pressure games. We are still behind a host of other squads in that respect.

I can see us beating all the teams weaker than us but being outclassed in some of the big games. Hopefully one or two wins in these will give us the confidence we need to perform under pressure. The 2nd half on Saturday was a re-affirming that we are not used to winning big games, until that mindset changes we won't win the EPL.

We should still finish in the top 3 this season however imo.

I didn't see the charlie Nicholas piece but I was thinking something similar myself.

1 point from a possible 6 against our top 4 rivals says it all really.
    Hopefully we can get as close to max points as possible against the so called lesser teams and then leave our rivals to take points of each other and that way we stay in the race.

I think we'll put in a much better showing in the games against the top 5-6 teams in the second half of the season as the players will have gotten use to the pace and gelled by then. Bring it on! COYS

golfball37 wrote: »

:D:D:D haha you're having a laugh:D:D:D

Charlie Nicholls made a good point?! This is the same diamond stud wearing ex-gooner who sits on the Soccer Saturday panel each week? The only valid opinion on that panel is Le Tiss! Nicholls is a relic...
    1 point from a possible 6 against our top 4 rivals says it all really.

I think we'll put in a much better showing in the games against the top 5-6 teams in the second half of the season

The reality is that we had no points from the corresponding fixtures last season! So we're a point better than last season.

Ferguson figured out years ago that if you could consistently beat the lesser teams and not drop points v Stoke, Everton, Norwich et al that you'll likely win the league.

The next five games will show our true credentials. "Charlie Nicholls made a good point":D:D:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

:D:D:D haha you're having a laugh:D:D:D

Charlie Nicholls made a good point?! This is the same diamond stud wearing ex-gooner who sits on the Soccer Saturday panel each week? The only valid opinion on that panel is Le Tiss! Nicholls is a relic...

The reality is that we had no points from the corresponding fixtures last season! So we're a point better than last season.

Ferguson figured out years ago that if you could consistently beat the lesser teams and not drop points v Stoke, Everton, Norwich et al that you'll likely win the league.

The next five games will show our true credentials. "Charlie Nicholls made a good point":D:D:D:D:D:D

Regardless of how good a pundit he is normally, I agree with the point Charlie Nicholas made. It's in the big matches that you find out who in your squad has that winning mentality and the balls to stand up and fight.

This myth about just beating the smaller teams pops up every year. The reality is that every game is important. If you lose to a rival, they get 3 points and you get none. Sounds obvious cos it is obvious.

Chelsea have taken 2 points from the two big games , us and united

United have taken one, pool and Chelsea

Arsenal have taken 3 from one game

We have one from two games

Arsenals game was at home so Chelsea are out in front, two draws both away from home

Ormus wrote: »
    Regardless of how good a pundit he is normally, I agree with the point Charlie Nicholas made. It's in the big matches that you find out who in your squad has that winning mentality and the balls to stand up and fight.

I don't agree at all, most players can get themselves up for the big games, thats the whole reason we see upsets. Players have greater motivation to prove themselves against superior teams.

It's against the inferior teams, those wet and windy nights in the north, where the opposition are out to kick you up and down the pitch. That's where you need a winning mentality and the balls to stand up and fight. That's the reason we knew Arsenal would beat us to 4th last season, because they had that level of consistency that would ensure they beat Newcastle on the last day, it was never in doubt really.

Lampards quotes on Saturday ring true, 'That’s what you have to do when you spend that money. We’ve lived for the last eight years with that pressure, year in year out, and that’s what Tottenham have to deal with if they want to win the league. You have to get a level of consistency and it’s not easy. It’s a difficult league.’

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

I don't agree at all, most players can get themselves up for the big games, thats the whole reason we see upsets. Players have greater motivation to prove themselves against superior teams.

It's against the inferior teams, those wet and windy nights in the north, where the opposition are out to kick you up and down the pitch. That's where you need a winning mentality and the balls to stand up and fight. That's the reason we knew Arsenal would beat us to 4th last season, because they had that level of consistency that would ensure they beat Newcastle on the last day, it was never in doubt really.

Lampards quotes on Saturday ring true, 'That’s what you have to do when you spend that money. We’ve lived for the last eight years with that pressure, year in year out, and that’s what Tottenham have to deal with if they want to win the league. You have to get a level of consistency and it’s not easy. It’s a difficult league.’

That's the same thing. The tough games are the ones you need your best players to step up for. Sometimes the tough games are at Old Trafford and sometimes it's when we go one nil down away to Norwich.

Of course there are always gonna be potential upsets but generally the toughest games are against the better teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KingdomYid

Hmmm, so can this thread be closed or renamed can we make top 4 this season? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭jobeenfitz

Today was a sh1t day. We are still only 3 points off top. Who knows what will happen but now is not a good time to discuss this. The optimistic levels are a bit depleted right now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭bishopmuzorewa

KingdomYid wrote: »
    Hmmm, so can this thread be closed or renamed can we make top 4 this season? ;)

Bad day at the office. A priority in the International break is getting Capoue , Lennon and Kaboul fit. 3 points off the top after 7 games....Villa next ...vital we get 3 points. I hate this europa league ****e and I hate waiting until sunday to play PL games.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KingdomYid

jobeenfitz wrote: »
    Today was a sh1t day. We are still only 3 points off top. Who knows what will happen but now is not a good time to discuss this. The optimistic levels are a bit depleted right now.

Fair enough, but IMO we are not league challengers this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,208 ✭✭✭shamrock55

A dumb thread to start with,you guys spend a shed load of money win a couple of games and then think your gonna win the league, gives the rest of us a good laugh i suppose:D

shamrock55 wrote: »
    A dumb thread to start with,you guys spend a shed load of money win a couple of games and then think your gonna win the league, gives the rest of us a good laugh i suppose:D

This coming from a Liverpool supporter:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭jobeenfitz

I think most sensible people are asking if its a possibility. No harm asking the question. Doesn't matter either if it gives someone a good laugh, again no harm there. What would be sad is if you are afraid to consider it for fear of being laughed at.

This coming from a Liverpool supporter:rolleyes:

Do you see any "i think we might do it this year" threads about liverpool

shamrock55 wrote: »
    Do you see any "i think we might do it this year" threads about liverpool

Lets be realistic here. Ye should start a thread "I think we might finish above Everton this season" because that should be yere target ..win the merseyside league!!!

No offence but yere not our competition for Top 4. That's just fact.

Lets be realistic here. Ye should start a thread "I think we might finish above Everton this season" because that should be yere target ..win the merseyside league!!!

No offence but yere not our competition for Top 4. That's just fact.

Never said we were, how could we compete with the mighty spurs anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭RickyBobby1

Coming from a neutral (Newcastle fan :( )
    I still think Spurs have a very good chance of top 4.I personally think Liverpool will start to slid down the table after there defeat this Saturday :)
    I think todays result was just one of those days for them but I expect them to bounce back.
    Not sure about serious title contenders but I wouldn't be suprised to see them give it s good go

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

What happened ye today lads? Was watching the Arsenal game and only caught the result afterwards? Just a blip or something more serious? Do ye think ye can still make a push for the title or was this just a freak result?

Advertisement