Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where will we finish ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,208 ✭✭✭shamrock55

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

Dont think its possible for us to win the league - we are still a thin squad, especially in defense and up front.

Compared to city, our squad is very small and this will be an issue with injuries and europa league etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭Ilik Urgee

Well if Bale's on the billboards in Times Square they must be favorites.

What a crock of shit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭White Heart Loon

Not too sure about winning this year, we're certainly building one that can compete for the next few years with depth and strength in every area. The problem with massive squads like City and Chelsea is that it's hard to keep players on the bench week in week out and keep them happy. Having three/four rotating players for each position is a tighter knit squad, but more susceptible to injury problems. This is why AVB is opting for players who can play multiple roles in the squad. I can seriously see us pushing for a title after this season.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

please noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭positivenote

okay let someone clarify this for me ? why do we have an inferiority complex... its the best squad we have had since I can remember, almost every player has been capped as full internationals, plenty of experience, superb manger who could have been in charge of Real or PSG with millions to spend... im not saying thta we will win the league, but if we kept Bale there is no reason for some of the 'we cant win it' or 'to suggest so is ridiculous'. I honestly dont think that it would be a huge surprise if we were in with a shout. I know season after season they never fail to let us down in some way or another, but why no confidence for the vast majority of yids? Top 4 should be the least of our expectations as there is no way arse/liverpool etc are as good as we are.

rant over :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

okay let someone clarify this for me ? why do we have an inferiority complex... its the best squad we have had since I can remember, almost every player has been capped as full internationals, plenty of experience, superb manger who could have been in charge of Real or PSG with millions to spend... im not saying thta we will win the league, but if we kept Bale there is no reason for some of the 'we cant win it' or 'to suggest so is ridiculous'. I honestly dont think that it would be a huge surprise if we were in with a shout. I know season after season they never fail to let us down in some way or another, but why no confidence for the vast majority of yids? Top 4 should be the least of our expectations as there is no way arse/liverpool etc are as good as we are.

rant over :)
    You've answered it yourself in your post. How many times over the years have we been left bitterly disappointed? Personally speaking, in whatever I do, I hope for the best but expect the worst. We shouldn't be expecting Spurs to challenge for anything more than 4th, because then if we don't get 4th that will lead to a lot of frustration and unrealistic ambitions, the former we've experienced here almost on a yearly basis.

If we get fourth this year I'll be delighted, anything else is a bonus.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭aramush

That's my laugh in for today!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Here Precious2

aramush wrote: »

Go back over to all your pool chums and keep on crying:P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭slegs

I am keen to see how the Liverpool "Football Club" title challenge will work out this year.

Lol

• Advertisement

We're all laughing too, albeit at you rather than with you. Don't worry though, next year is Liverpool's year. If ye play ye're cards right we might give you Siggs for a special price;)

slegs wrote: »
    I am keen to see how the Liverpool "Football Club" title challenge will work out this year.

Lol

Why the inverted commas? We all know we wont challenge, its amusing, if a little sad that Spurs supporters think they will challenge for the title.

Why the inverted commas? We all know we wont challenge, its amusing, if a little sad that Spurs supporters think they will challenge for the title.

hypocrisy-meter.png

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭ziedth

I find it amusing that a supporter of a team that has finished closer to relegation than the title for the last three years finds it not the least bit silly to come on here and make a smart arse comment on our title ambitions.

Of course none of us here think we are going to challenge. We're 25/1 in the bookies for a very good reason, but this is the first time in many of our lives that the POSSIBILITY of a challenge is there. That is a world away from the team with two wins before 'Arry took over a few short years ago.

One could say we are ironically as delusional as Liverpool fans to even begin to think "this is our year" but I have seen us battle for survival, a decade in mid table obscurity, loose cup finals and dodgy pastas so I'll grab this chance to realistically dream of playing with the big boys for the short while that I can.

ziedth wrote: »
    I find it amusing that a supporter of a team that has finished closer to relegation than the title for the last three years finds it not the least bit silly to come on here and make a smart arse comment on our title ambitions.

Of course none of us here think we are going to challenge. We're 25/1 in the bookies for a very good reason, but this is the first time in many of our lives that the POSSIBILITY of a challenge is there. That is a world away from the team with two wins before 'Arry took over a few short years ago.

One could say we are ironically as delusional as Liverpool fans to even begin to think "this is our year" but I have seen us battle for survival, a decade in mid table obscurity, loose cup finals and dodgy pastas so I'll grab this chance to realistically dream of playing with the big boys for the short while that I can.

The biggest myth in football, Liverpool fans are delusional. I think in recent years any true Liverpool supporters expectations have lowered dramatically, we hardly have a squad good enough to grace the top four let alone win a title.

Anyway, this is a Spurs thread but it was funny to think that people believe Spurs might challenge. One step at a time, if you make the top four be grateful.

One step at a time, if you make the top four be grateful.

We have made top4 twice in last 4 years...nothing new to us there.

Worry about winning the merseyside league this season.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

Careful now.

Lads, this thread is embarrassing....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Hatch99 wrote: »
    Lads, this thread is embarrassing....

Ding, Ding!!

Nothing wrong with a bit of optimism. The beginning of the season is likely the only time you will have it.

God knows Liverpool fans have been blessed with deluded optimism for many years.

Spurs fans know full well that 4th would be a huge result.

• Advertisement

Nothing wrong with a bit of optimism. The beginning of the season is likely the only time you will have it.

God knows Liverpool fans have been blessed with deluded optimism for many years.

Spurs fans know full well that 4th would be a huge result.

I have no issue with optimism, but for us to mock Liverpool fans on a serious note is a bit rich. Granted we have finished ahead of them over the last few years, but it's not long ago they were winning the European Cup so I personally will hold off until we have at least got to the CL before I take the pish out of them.

so I personally will hold off until we have at least got to the CL before I take the pish out of them.

You'll find that one of their lot came in here on the wind up originally....

I have no issue with optimism, but for us to mock Liverpool fans on a serious note is a bit rich. Granted we have finished ahead of them over the last few years, but it's not long ago they were winning the European Cup so I personally will hold off until we have at least got to the CL before I take the pish out of them.

I don't think we are mocking them. Their superiority complex comes out without much prompting.

You'll find that one of their lot came in here on the wind up originally....

Look at the title of the thread, can you blame them ?
    I don't think we are mocking them. Their superiority complex comes out without much prompting.

Fair enough mate.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,639 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

Nothing wrong with optimism. And we are all Spurs fans here and we all want the same thing - to win the EPL but lets keep our feet on the ground.

all these new additions to the squad, not to mention the bodies going out the door mean alot of change in a short period of time. The next few weeks or even a month or two are going to be bumpy. Lets enjoy the ride and look forward to a serious top 4 challenge but lets save the EPL titles talk for 2014/15

• Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭positivenote

so when is it okay to say that we might have a chance of challenging for the title? if we keep bale, there is no reason with the quality we have that it is an unrealistic suggestion to be in contention. top 4 shouldn't be the height of our ambitions surely? having finished there 2 of the last 3 seasons, and reached our highest points total last season we should be looking to improve on that rather than treating 4th as the only realistic and viable success...

cue the onslaught of abuse....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭jobeenfitz

Some of us, deep down must be thinking if the new recruits gel quickly and we are lucky with injuries we could be thereabouts come April. I am sure the team will be thinking this and if their not I would worry. Fair play to you Positivenote for your optimistic thread. Nobody is saying "we are going to win the league". But who knows what could happen. It may not be likely but it is possible. The bookies have almost halved our price from 33/1 to 18/1 in a couple of weeks.
    I'm not saying we will win the league but I am sure as hell hoping it can and will happen. So what if I'm completely wrong and someone laughs and calls me a fool. I don't give a sh1t what some pool, gooner or other fan thinks.

COYS, win the fukn league.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,639 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

Sure its possible. We have the players capable of a record points finish but I think City and Chelsea are just going to be that little bit out of reach, and United are united so you just don't know.

Bit worried about all the foreigners we've signed all of a sudden. Its not that long ago that HR had to come in and gut the squad and bring back some brittish back bone when the lads bought under Ramos and Jol to a lesser extent didn't cut it.

Anyway, these new lads are a step above the level of players we had back then (aren't they)

This weekends NLD will tell a lot.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

We definitely do have a better team / squad then we have had in a long time, at least on paper. I just hope it doesn't take too long for the team to gel. A win this weekend would certainly be a nice way to start.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

Kiith wrote: »
    We definitely do have a better team / squad then we have had in a long time, at least on paper. I just hope it doesn't take too long for the team to gel. A win this weekend would certainly be a nice way to start.

gelling is the big problem here. To be honest the 4 new lads have settled very well especially soldado and pauliho

Lamela may be a different story, the last few argentines didnt work too well - veron / tevez

Advertisement