Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where will we finish ?

Options
1323334353638»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Levy Lover

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    You seem very perturbed about today's events. I can understand that tbf.[/QUOTE

Automatic champions league qualification .. Sounds nice doesn't it.

Surely Ye win Wednesday night .. 2 mid table teams fighting it out for a nothing cup 👀

• Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭positivenote

Absolute dog shiet today... Its such a spurs thing to do. When we are resorting to Carroll and The young fella to come on and change things it says it all about the depth of the squad. The only thing left to happen is for Leicester to get done for doping and the title being awarded to arsenal... absolutely freaked with the players, levy for not growing the squad and Poch for not getting the players to react. Please dont give me any of the 'automatic CL qualification' crap either... if you are not as upset by this today then you obviously dont realise how much it means, just like the players.
    :mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,637 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

Please dont give me any of the 'automatic CL qualification' crap either... if you are not as upset by this today then you obviously dont realise how much it means, just like the players.

Well said.

The days of our players thinking that finishing above arsenal actually meant something are long long gone. Apart from a few players who came through the ranks, it's means f' all.

Dust settled.

Starting to sober up.

Have we really finished 3rd in a 2 horse title race? **** me lads.

I follow the arsenal thread on the main soccer forum, so I know 2nd is no comfort to them in what has been another terrible Wenger - average season but bloody hell, it doesn't matter if it was arsenal, city or westham in 2nd, this is awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭yiddo59

Gutted bout today but nowhere near as guuted as I was in 2006 re lasanagate and in 2012 when the Chavs beat Bayern in the CL final. At least this time round we can console ourselves with the prospect of CL football next season!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

its been a very good season but today was like the bad old days under Hoddle/Pleat/Santini

glad the season is over now and happy not to think about it properly again until Aug

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

yiddo59 wrote: »
    Gutted bout today but nowhere near as guuted as I was in 2006 re lasanagate and in 2012 when the Chavs beat Bayern in the CL final. At least this time round we can console ourselves with the prospect of CL football next season!
    Well said,it could be worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

I've been avoiding making another post since my post after the match because people seemed so butthurt over the fact I was disappointed by our capitulation towards the end of this season.

However, I've read a post on the Ozspurs Facebook group that pretty much sums up how I'm feeling right now. I don't care if you don't agree and I'm not looking to get into a debate on whether we should be happy with third or not but I would recommend reading a very well written post.

They didn't play the game for those that mattered today.

Most games are played for the title and opportunities that come with that. In the boardroom, the games are played for the coin coming into the club with the success of winning.

On the pitch, the games are played for the bonuses that can be found in the contracts of the players.

But occasionally there is a game that needs to be played for the fans. A game that gives the fans the bragging rights at the local pub, the card game with the mates or around the water cooler at the office.

That game was the game just gone.

That game makes no real difference to the boardroom (I know the bonus difference between 2nd and 3rd). that game was not about letting the players have a better or bigger holiday. That game made no real difference to Poch.

That game was for the fans. The fans who want to have bragging rights, It was a game where the club, management and players needed to step up and reward the fans on the streets. We have waited so long to do so and suffered so much in the waiting.

Of course, we want restitution. We want to say, believe and KNOW that North London is ours. We had it in the grasp of our hands. The fans would be finally able to brag and we would have bragged bloody loudly.

But it is gone. The club, manager and team failed to see that this game should have been played for the fans and a win at all costs, a game of blood, sweat and tears, a result that would give us bragging rights WAS the minimum expectation and result to give the fans.

It was not good enough.

THFC till I die.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭MrKingsley

That is a very good post Irishmover.

But for me the performance, if we can call it that, rests purely on the shoulders of the players. They were pathetic. Already on holidays.

Honestly the fact that we lost 5-1 to a ten men, already relegated Newcastle United in meltdown is more frustrating than finishing below arsenal. Thats obviously hurts enormously but yesterday was a pure sham

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭mushykeogh

Overall it was a great season, but the last few weeks were awful. 8 points from our last 6 games when all we need was 9 to secure 2nd place!. Unfortunately its typical spurs, the players and managers change but it seems the same frailties remain. 1 feicin point required from playing teams in 6th and 18th place and we couldn't do it. You could argue that the only time the team had to perform, the only time there was no second chance, we sh1t the bed and couldn't deliver.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Glebee

Good season up until WBA at home a few weeks ago with a few blips along the way. After that it all went pair shaped.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

irishmover wrote: »
    I've been avoiding making another post since my post after the match because people seemed so butthurt over the fact I was disappointed by our capitulation towards the end of this season.

However, I've read a post on the Ozspurs Facebook group that pretty much sums up how I'm feeling right now. I don't care if you don't agree and I'm not looking to get into a debate on whether we should be happy with third or not but I would recommend reading a very well written post.

He doesn't speak for all fans though. Some fans support Spurs for bragging rights. I support them for football. Personally I'd prefer to finish third and get Champions League football than to finish mid table one place ahead of Arsenal.

I don't even live in London, so the bragging rights thing doesn't much affect me.

one thing is clear - we are quite an ordinary team after the first 11

if this weakness isn't addressed in the summer our participation in the CL will be very brief

over to you Danny.....

one thing is clear - we are quite an ordinary team after the first 11

if this weakness isn't addressed in the summer our participation in the CL will be very brief

over to you Danny.....

Quite possibly. Then again we have a better squad now than we did when we got to the quarters in 2011. In my opinion.

Just one of many good posts in the arsenal thread.
    jester77 wrote:
    Yip, it's mad that we finished 2nd, yet we never even challenged for the title. Every other team around us just flopped, we flopped the least, but we flopped.
    jester77 wrote:
    Can't believe we finished ahead of Spurs. Really shows how much of a disconnect there is between players and fans and I'm not just talking about Spurs, same for most clubs. They had a chance to finish ahead of their bitter rivals, yet they were on holidays a few weeks back and just picked up 2 points from their last 12 when all they need was 3. Players are more concerned for themselves than their clubs, it's the sad state of modern football when you think of the ridiculous wages they get.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭awkwardboy

For me the collapse of the past few weeks clearly shows we have a very good 11 but not much after that. We sorely missed Alli and Dembele and with either of them available I think we would have got 2nd easily. Mason doesn't appear to be up to it. I gave him the benefit of the doubt but I don't think he is good enough. Maybe for league/F.A. cup but that's about it. Nothing on the bench that looks remotely like it could change a game.
    Overall it's is a bitter disappointment though, no denying that. I am hoping I'll be more positive in a few days. The Arsenal thing doesn't bother me much to be honest. Their pettiness though does irk me, essentially celebrating their own failure to mount a serious challenge. Onwards and upwards though. A few summer quality signings and we'll be back in business ... I hope!

Ormus wrote: »
    Quite possibly. Then again we have a better squad now than we did when we got to the quarters in 2011. In my opinion.

better or weaker than 2011 is debatable but its all about the here and now

this is a massive crossroads for the club

the club either uses this season's success as a springboard or they rest on their laurels and we go backwards/stagnate.

we need to hit the ground running next season and that means doing business promptly and efficiently before August

better or weaker than 2011 is debatable but its all about the here and now

this is a massive crossroads for the club

the club either uses this season's success as a springboard or they rest on their laurels and we go backwards/stagnate.

we need to hit the ground running next season and that means doing business promptly and efficiently before August

Ok, so even though we've just had our highest league finish in donkeys years with barely any investment, even though Leicester won the league with a team that cost 20p, even though we've squandered hundreds and hundreds of millions in the past, even though the likes of United have spent 250m and are still as bad as they were under Moyes, we're still sure that spending piles of cash = success?

I'm not saying it isn't. But surely it's debatable?

Personally I hope we sign a few young, hungry, up and coming players this summer. Maybe a bit of experience in central mid as back up / competition for Dier. Wouldn't object to us spending 20m on an attacking midfielder, and maybe the same on a powerful young striker.

A cheeky punt on Gregory Van Der Wiel on a free transfer from PSG to replace Walker might also be worth a go.

Ormus wrote: »
    Ok, so even though we've just had our highest league finish in donkeys years with barely any investment, even though Leicester won the league with a team that cost 20p, even though we've squandered hundreds and hundreds of millions in the past, even though the likes of United have spent 250m and are still as bad as they were under Moyes, we're still sure that spending piles of cash = success?

I'm not saying it isn't. But surely it's debatable?

Personally I hope we sign a few young, hungry, up and coming players this summer. Maybe a bit of experience in central mid as back up / competition for Dier. Wouldn't object to us spending 20m on an attacking midfielder, and maybe the same on a powerful young striker.

A cheeky punt on Gregory Van Der Wiel on a free transfer from PSG to replace Walker might also be worth a go.

I don't really care who we bring in as long as they are:

1 Players the manager wants (his targets) don't care if they are cheaper younger players or big budget - as long as Poch is backed fully, that's the key.

2 The deals get done well before the beginning of next season

1 Players the manager wants (his targets) don't care if they are cheaper younger players or big budget - as long as Poch is backed fully, that's the key.

That seems fair.

A small evil part of me hopes that we wait until deadline day and then sign one of Levy's mates and play him up front instead of Kane, just to see how annoyed you'd be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭MrKingsley

100% back this

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭DubPerryman

I guess now the dust has settled ever so slightly, I think it's time to review the season.

We had the Golden Boot player - when's the last time that happened?!

We scored the 2nd most goals and conceded the 2nd fewest (no thanks to our final match.)

We fought for our first title but in the end we fell short and capitulated.

If anything, this season taught us some valuable lessons which will only improve our future;

First, we have a young and hungry team ready to compete with the best and fight for titles.

Second, our squad strength is not yet where it should be for a full title challenge and to compete in Europe too.

Finally, EVERY POINT COUNTS. We didn't lose second place against Newcastle. We lost it by giving away a two goal lead at home to Stoke. By conceding a goal at Old Trafford against a poor United team. So, next season when a member comes on here and complains about two dropped points; remember.... league positions are decided on every single point.

Even though it finished in a disappointment, we had a great season all round.

My hope for next season is another title challenge ending in CL qualification and to get out of the group in the Champions League.

I don't think we're ready for a full assault on Europe yet. We need to prove ourselves as worthy contenders/champions domestically first. Then we can push on in Europe. I don't want us to be one season wonders, slow growth and consistency is key.

We scored the 2nd most goals and conceded the 2nd fewest (no thanks to our final match.)

This stat only serves to aggravate my annoyance with our end of season collapse even more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭mushykeogh

This stat only serves to aggravate my annoyance with our end of season collapse even more.

I saw another stat where we recovered the most points from a losing position but also lost the most points having lead!

Advertisement