Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The "What is this Irish word/phrase in English" thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭deirdremf

Samantha4 wrote: »
    I stand corrected! So here I am replying to myself. Ciontóir is actually in the Foclóir Gaeilge-Béarla, although I stand over what I say in that it's a term that is not used much to describe 'offenders.' Still, it's there, and that's the main thing. :)
    Well, I can accept that the word might be makey-uppy, the written language is full of them. But what word would you use instead of "ciontóir"?

BTW an cainteoir dúchais tú? An fáth leis an gceist, ná go bhfuil go leor foghlaimeoirí anseo (mise ina measc!) agus is minic an té ar leathshúil ina rí (nó ina banríon) anseo.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

deirdremf wrote: »
    Well, I can accept that the word might be makey-uppy, the written language is full of them. But what word would you use instead of "ciontóir"?

BTW an cainteoir dúchais tú? An fáth leis an gceist, ná go bhfuil go leor foghlaimeoirí anseo (mise ina measc!) agus is minic an té ar leathshúil ina rí (nó ina banríon) anseo.

I'm assuming it means "guy who did the foul" (not sure of an appropriate English word). Ciontach means "guilty" and ciontóir is making a noun of this adjective.

Gumbi wrote: »
    I'm assuming it means "guy who did the foul" (not sure of an appropriate English word). Ciontach means "guilty" and ciontóir is making a noun of this adjective.
    Does that make it good Irish?
    I mean, I know that you can do it, but Samantha seemed to think it wasn't good Irish, so I'm wondering what would be a better way to say it in her opinion.

Does that make it good Irish?
    I mean, I know that you can do it, but Samantha seemed to think it wasn't good Irish, so I'm wondering what would be a better way to say it in her opinion.

Nothing wrong with it IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,666 ✭✭✭Worztron

Hi guys.

Can someone tell me the Irish words for these places?
    • Swansea
    • Wrexham
    This page give Wales and Cardiff only. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Irish_exonyms

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭An gal gréine

Worztron wrote: »
    Hi guys.

• Swansea
    • Wrexham
    This page give Wales and Cardiff only. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Irish_exonyms

When there is no Irish word we leave them as they are.
    In this case you could use the Welsh Abertawe and Wrecsam.
    In the page you list they have no 'r' in Caerdydd for Cardiff but I do like their alternative Cathairdaf.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Samantha4

Hi guys.

• Swansea
    • Wrexham

Swansea is Abertawe, I think (will double check spelling). I'm not too sure on the other one, Wrexham, but I looked it up on some of the place names websites and, although didn't find anything on the name in Welsh, it appears to be written as Wrecsam in Welsh. It probably means the name was originally English, or founded and settled by the English, if there is no Welsh name for it.

Hi guys.

• Swansea
    • Wrexham
    This page give Wales and Cardiff only. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Irish_exonyms[/QUOTE]

Just realized that you are looking for the Irish placenames, not the Welsh! As Gal Gréine mentions, Irish placenames are often left in their orginal form, so you could just leave them as they are. But they are frequently translated i.e. Talamh an Éisc (Newfoundland), Páras (Paris), and usually where there is a historic or linguistic connection. I think you could write Wrecsam (Welsh) as Recsam, taking out the W. Re. Swansea, if you follow the example given on the translation of Cardiff, you could use Béal Tawe. Others might know more than me on placenames in Welsh, though...

When there is no Irish word we leave them as they are.
    In this case you could use the Welsh Abertawe and Wrecsam.
    In the page you list they have no 'r' in Caerdydd for Cardiff but I do like their alternative Cathairdaf.

I have 3 words for Cardiff:
    Caerdydd
    Caedydd
    Cathairtaf

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

Móra dhuit ar maidin, is ea, is cainteoir (ciontóir!) dúchais mé. Cad fútsa? Tá an Ghaeilge ar do thoil agat , pé scéal é ach go háirithe. Nílim deimhnitheach I ndáiríre an bhfuil aon fhocal amháin a shásódh aistriúchán ar 'offender.' Is dóígh liom go bhfeilfeadh rud éigin simplí ar nós 'an té a théann i mbun ciona/an té a imríonn faillí..'ach b'fhéidir go bhfuil sin pas beag útámálach, leis.

• Advertisement

I have 3 words for Cardiff:
    Caerdydd
    Caedydd
    Cathairtaf

Irish journalists and writers use the first of the above... from what I've read.

Móra dhuit ar maidin, is ea, is cainteoir (ciontóir!) dúchais mé. Cad fútsa? Tá an Ghaeilge ar do thoil agat , pé scéal é ach go háirithe. Nílim deimhnitheach I ndáiríre an bhfuil aon fhocal amháin a shásódh aistriúchán ar 'offender.' Is dóígh liom go bhfeilfeadh rud éigin simplí ar nós 'an té a théann i mbun ciona/an té a imríonn faillí..'ach b'fhéidir go bhfuil sin pas beag útámálach, leis.
    Foghlaimeoir bocht mise, faraoir, le hualach mór ceisteanna faoi gach gné den Ghaeilge!

Ó thaobh an chiontóra de, is dócha go mbíonn daoine ag iarraidh focal amháin in aghaidh focail Bhéarla, nó rud eicínt gairid, gonta ar a laghad. Ach ní mar sin a fheidhmíonn cúrsaí an tsaoil, ná cúrsaí teanga ach a oiread.

Bheinn féin sásta le "fear an chiona" nó "bean an chiona", nó b'féidir "fear/bean/lucht déanta an chiona".

Foghlaimeoir bocht mise, faraoir, le hualach mór ceisteanna faoi gach gné den Ghaeilge!

Ó thaobh an chiontóra de, is dócha go mbíonn daoine ag iarraidh focal amháin in aghaidh focail Bhéarla, nó rud eicínt gairid, gonta ar a laghad. Ach ní mar sin a fheidhmíonn cúrsaí an tsaoil, ná cúrsaí teanga ach a oiread.

Bheinn féin sásta le "fear an chiona" nó "bean an chiona", nó b'féidir "fear/bean/lucht déanta an chiona".
    Bí ag ceistiú agus ag aistriú leat agus fáilte! Tuigim duit, focal sách gonta atá ann, agus sin an taobh lena úsáid, ní foláir. Aistriúchán an-shlachtmhar é an ceann atá déanta agat féin. Agus gan amhras, tá an nós sin i nGramadach na Gaeilge dul i muinín an Tuisil Ghinidigh mar atá déanta agatsa. Is minic go mbíodh ceisteanna ar phróiseas an aistrithe idir chamáin ar sheanachlár Raidió na Gaeltachta , faoi stiúir Liam Mhic Con Iomaire. (níl teideal an chláir ag rith liom faoi láthair). Cuireadh deireadh leis, ar chúis éigin, tá tamall de bhlianta ann ó bhí sé ar siúl.
    Oíche mhaith.

Is minic go mbíodh ceisteanna ar phróiseas an aistrithe idir chamáin ar sheanachlár Raidió na Gaeltachta , faoi stiúir Liam Mhic Con Iomaire. (níl teideal an chláir ag rith liom faoi láthair). Cuireadh deireadh leis, ar chúis éigin, tá tamall de bhlianta ann ó bhí sé ar siúl.

Is mairg gur imigh 'Leagan Cainte' le Nan Fudge, Dónal Ó Baoill agus Seosamh Ó Cuaig as na cúigí éagsúla, agus roimhe sin 'Gaoth an fhocail'. Bhí am acu na ceisteanna a chíoradh agus a phlé. Tá triúir ana-mhaith ann go fóill ar chlár 'Rónán Beo' ach deifir níos mó curtha orthu.

Is mairg gur imigh 'Leagan Cainte' le Nan Fudge, Dónal Ó Baoill agus Seosamh Ó Cuaig as na cúigí éagsúla, agus roimhe sin 'Gaoth an fhocail'. Bhí am acu na ceisteanna a chíoradh agus a phlé. Tá triúir ana-mhaith ann go fóill ar chlár 'Rónán Beo' ach deifir níos mó curtha orthu.

Mo bhuíoch ort, A Ghail, (leagan Gaeilge de shaghas éigin ar 'Gail' an Bhéarla!) Leagan Cainte, an ceart lom agat. Ní rabhas in ann cuimhneamh air. Tá tugtha faoi ndeara agam gur cláracha ceoil is mó a bhíonn ar siúl ar RnaG na laethanta seo, agus nach ndéanann siad mórán cláracha cainte a thuilleadh. Is mór an trua san, mo thuairimse. Ina theannta san táid tar éis ciorrú ar an méid podchraoltaí a bhíodh ar fail ar an leathanach cartlainne.
    [PS I don't wish to leave out those who don't speak Irish but who are interested in it, by speaking Irish - just wondering, is this an Irish speaking page or is there actually one on boards??]

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

[PS I don't wish to leave out those who don't speak Irish but who are interested in it, by speaking Irish - just wondering, is this an Irish speaking page or is there actually one on boards??]

Teach na nGealt - fáilte! :)

Teach na nGealt - fáilte! :)

Bhuel, más mar sin atá sé, ní mór dom géabh a thabhairt air sin, agus dul le gealaigh!:)

Is there an Irish word for burp?

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭mr chips

Brúchtaíl. Double-check the spelling though ...

mr chips wrote: »
    Brúchtaíl. Double-check the spelling though ...

Isn't that bursting?

I found belch (which is the same as burp) = brúcht

• Advertisement

Isn't that bursting?

I found belch (which is the same as burp) = brúcht

This is what I use.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Would it be the case that "brúcht" = "a burp"
    and "ag brúchtaíl" = "burping"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭MaryKirwan

I'm taking a night course tonight and I hear they ask you to introduce yourself. Could someone take a look over this and tell me where it's phrased badly or outright wrong? I just made general bullet points.

-Is mise Máire.
    - Táim dhá bhliain is fiche d'aois
    - Rugadh mé ar mBaile Átha Cliath agus tá mé i mo cónaí i Dúndroma.
    -Níl aon deartháir no deirfiúr ar bith agam
    - Rinne mé staidéar ar Béarla agus fealsúnacht i UCD agus is mian liom a bheith ina mhúinteoir bunscoile.
    - Ach tá mé lag sa Gaeilge mar sin tá súil agam chun fheabhas a chur a lán sna seachtainí seo a leanas anseo.

Couple of points.

Rughadh mé i mBaile Átha Cliath agus táim i mo chónaí i nDúndroma

Nothing wrong with tá mé, but you used táim before it, better to have consistency than to mix dialectal tendencies. Oh, and you'll get away with Rugadh mé i... most of the time, but in Irish it's more natural to say Rugadh i...mé

Mixing aon and ar bith doesn't work in my opinion. Also, nó, which which or, becomes nor in the negative (technically this happens in English, too, but people generally don't adhere to it).

Níl deartháir ná deirfiúr (ar bith - optional, meaning "at all", just an intensifier really) agam.

Ar basically always lenites (just a few exceptions), so it should be ar Bhéarla. However, Irish tends to use the definite article with lots of nouns, languages included. So I would say ar an mBéarla (ar + an adds m to Béarla). Also, the proposition must be repeated in Irish (so use ar before each noun).

Is mian liom bheith i mo mhúinteoir scoile.

Rinne mé staidéar ar an mBéarla agus ar fhealsúnacht i UCD agus is mian liom a bheith i mo mhúinteoir bunscoile

Oh, ba mhian would actually be more correct. (I would like to be, because a mian is a wish, this is an aspiration).

I don't think it's very good Irish to say "lag sa something", I don't think it's an established idiom. THe second half of your sentence is a bit of mess really. I'd suggest:

Níl mo chuid Gaeilge ró-mhaith faoi láthair, mar sin, tá súil agam feabhas a chur uirthi (Gaeilge is feminine, so if you're referring specifically to your Irish, this is more correct) sna seachtainí le teacht.

My Irish isn't too good at the moment, as such, I wish to improve it in the weeks to come/next few weeks.

Hope this helps. Try keep your sentect structures as simple as possible; grammatically speaking it can get very messy very fast if you don't know what you're doing.

MaryKirwan wrote: »
    I'm taking a night course tonight and I hear they ask you to introduce yourself. Could someone take a look over this and tell me where it's phrased badly or outright wrong? I just made general bullet points.

-Is mise Máire.
    That's fine.

- Táim dhá bhliain is fiche d'aois
    That's fine.

- Rugadh mé ar mBaile Átha Cliath
    Correction: Rugadh mé i mBaile Átha Cliath. Or: Rugadh i mBaile Átha Cliath mé. Both are equally correct, the choice is the speaker's and where he/she wishes to place the emphasis: on the place or on the subject.
    (Note: Ar is only for townlands that start with 'An', An Spidéal is the exception).

agus tá mé i mo cónaí i Dúndroma.
    Correction: tá mé i mo chónaí (with a séimhiú) i nDún Droma (an urú after i with certain consonants; Dún Droma is two separate words in the Irish logainm/placename)

-Níl aon deartháir no deirfiúr ar bith agam
    Correction: Níl deartháir deirfiúr agam. OR Níl deartháir deirfiúr ar bith agam.
    (Note; Ar bith can be used freely with the CORRECT word, in this case, ná).

- Rinne mé staidéar ar Béarla agus fealsúnacht i UCD
    Correction: Rinne mé staidéar ar an mBéarla/agus ar an bhFealsúnacht i UCD.
    (Note: Subjects in Irish should have the article before them, 'An Béarla', 'An Ghaeilge,'An Fhealsúnacht' srl. That's why in Hiberno-English, 'the Irish' is used. Therefore, it should be 'ar an mBéarla' etc.

agus is mian liom a bheith ina mhúinteoir bunscoile.
    Correction: Ba mhaith liom / Ba mhian liom a bheith i mo mhúinteoir bunscoile.
    (Note: Ba mhaith=I would like. Ba mhian=closer to a desire.
    Because you are talking in the 1st person singular, it must be ' i mo')

- Ach tá mé lag sa Gaeilge
    Correction: sa takes a séimhiú. Sa Ghaeilge.

mar sin tá súil agam chun fheabhas a chur a lán sna seachtainí seo a leanas anseo.
    Correction: Mar sin, (comma after this 'nath cainte') tá súil agam feabhas mór (without a h) a chur uirthi sna seachtainí atá romhainn.
    (Note: 'A leanas' generally not used in the abstract sense that you have used it in. 'To really improve' is simply 'feabhas mór'. You could also just use 'táim' the foirm tháite.)

By the way, you clearly aren't 'lag sa Ghaeilge', so go for it agus go n-éirí go geal leat!

Couple of points.

Rughadh mé i mBaile Átha Cliath agus táim i mo chónaí i nDúndroma

Nothing wrong with tá mé, but you used táim before it, better to have consistency than to mix dialectal tendencies. Oh, and you'll get away with Rugadh mé i... most of the time, but in Irish it's more natural to say Rugadh i...mé

Mixing aon and ar bith doesn't work in my opinion. Also, nó, which which or, becomes nor in the negative (technically this happens in English, too, but people generally don't adhere to it).

Níl deartháir ná deirfiúr (ar bith - optional, meaning "at all", just an intensifier really) agam.

Ar basically always lenites (just a few exceptions), so it should be ar Bhéarla. However, Irish tends to use the definite article with lots of nouns, languages included. So I would say ar an mBéarla (ar + an adds m to Béarla). Also, the proposition must be repeated in Irish (so use ar before each noun).

Is mian liom bheith i mo mhúinteoir scoile.

Rinne mé staidéar ar an mBéarla agus ar fhealsúnacht i UCD agus is mian liom a bheith i mo mhúinteoir bunscoile

Oh, ba mhian would actually be more correct. (I would like to be, because a mian is a wish, this is an aspiration).

I don't think it's very good Irish to say "lag sa something", I don't think it's an established idiom. THe second half of your sentence is a bit of mess really. I'd suggest:

Níl mo chuid Gaeilge ró-mhaith faoi láthair, mar sin, tá súil agam feabhas a chur uirthi (Gaeilge is feminine, so if you're referring specifically to your Irish, this is more correct) sna seachtainí le teacht.

My Irish isn't too good at the moment, as such, I wish to improve it in the weeks to come/next few weeks.

Hope this helps. Try keep your sentect structures as simple as possible; grammatically speaking it can get very messy very fast if you don't know what you're doing.

1. This should read RÓMHAITH.
    2. LAG SA is an accepted way to express weakness or debility, mental and physical.
    3. Sna seachtainí ATÁ le teacht - the verb needs to be included here. Generally, 'atá romhainn' is used, i.e., the preposition, for future events and past ones. i.e. an samhradh seo imithe tharainn; an samhradh seo chugainn, sna seachtainí atá romhainn etc.

Fair enough with lag sa.

Are you sure about the hyphen in ró-mhaith?

Yep, slip up with regard to the ATÁ.

hi Gumbi,

Yes, lag sa is quite common....bhí sé an-lag sa chorp ar deireadh srl. Quite commonly used. You can use 'chun' as well, but generally used for proficiency.

Beir bua!
    S

Fair enough with lag sa.

Are you sure about the hyphen in ró-mhaith?

Yep, slip up with regard to the ATÁ.

No worries, Irish Grammar is such a minefield that it's nearly impossible not to slip up, I do it myself! :) Yes, ró only uses a fleiscín/hyphen when it comes before a vowel. The rules for AN, RÓ, SEAN, DROCH all slightly vary, hence it is tricky to keep them in mind.

• Advertisement

Are you sure about this?
    I can't really say I've heard "ba mhian" in this context. I'd certainly go for "is mian"
    In the same context, I'd say "ba mhaith".

Advertisement