Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Luas Cross City (Line BX/D) [now open]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭etchyed

nowecant wrote: »
    I did not miss the sarcasm, i just don't think its very constructive. I think we have a baby troll here. Evidence can be seen in the users only other posts.
    From this...
    ...they are clearly not all thick.
    ...it's very apparent that you did indeed miss the sarcasm in this:
    ringostare wrote: »
    Clearly they're all thick in the RPA...
    I believe (although maybe I'm attaching too much sophistication to this particular user's post) that ringostare was making the point that too many posters here speak about decisions made by state bodies as if they were somehow dreamt up on the back of a fag packet at the pub after work. The chosen route of BXD resulted from a public consultation process. While Quickelles is not guilty of this kind of fag-packet accusation, it was probably only a matter of time before someone else chimed in with it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 378 ✭✭Quickelles

etchyed wrote: »
    I think you missed some sarcasm.

.....which was equally unconstructive.

I didn't know the reason why and merely asked - (No suggestion that there wasn't a good reason)!

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭etchyed

Quickelles wrote: »

I didn't know the reason why and merely asked - (No suggestion that there wasn't a good reason)!
    Jesus, why is everyone so touchy around here?

I clearly said that your post was not of the sort I described.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭nowecant

If we are at the level of school yard arguments how about school yard methods of finishing it?

Quits ?

Quits ?

Let me sleep on that......

• Advertisement

Can one of the Mods look into the possibility of merging a few of the Luas BXD/Cross City threads ?

A quick search and i can find two other threads

"Luas Cross City Line (BXD)" http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=84281925

"Luas BXD / Broombridge railway order granted" http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056717869&page=10

• Registered Users Posts: 78,308 ✭✭✭✭Victor

ringostare wrote: »
    Clearly they're all thick in the RPA and the idea never occured to them.
    It may be sarcasm, but for sarcasm to mean anything, it needs to be easily identifiable as such.
    I did not miss the sarcasm, i just don't think its very constructive. I think we have a baby troll here. Evidence can be seen in the users only other posts.

If you have a problem with a post, report it. Do not comment about it on thread.

New Luas line on track for airport

TRANSPORT Minister Leo Varadkar wants to extend the new Luas Cross City line to Dublin Airport — if funds become available.

The Star has learned that the country’s transport boss is still keen on old plans to build a tram line to the airport via areas like Finglas and Ballymun in north Dublin.

There is “plenty of potential for the Luas to be extended”, said a spokesperson for Minister Varadkar.

“He [the Minister] would like to see more lines being added, such as a line to Finglas and to areas like Lucan.”

The spokesperson said the shelved e3bn Metro North Line is also “still and option” but said the Luas could be cheaper.

He said the Department needs more private capital and State funds to proceed with any tram line extensions.

He also said the Minister has been seeking assistance from the European Investment Bank.

The €370m Luas Cross City line — which is to be completed by 2017 — will link the Red and Green lines in the city.

It will travel 6km from St Stephen’s Green to Broombridge Cabra, where passengers will be able to change onto Irish Rail’s Maynooth line.

The Railway Procure-ment Agency said they will begin the process of extending the Cross City line when they receive orders from the Department.

Construction on the line will start next month, creating up to 800 jobs.

The works will cause traffic disruption, with some permanent changes being made to traffic flow around St Stephen’s Green.

Famous statues along the route that will be moved and put into storage, or relocated, during construction include: the Molly Malone statue at College Green; the Lady Gratton Fountain at St Stephen’s Green; the Thomas Moore statue on College St; the Steine Sculpture (Long Stone) on Townsend St; and the
    Fr Matthew statue on O’Connell St.

Utilities will be moved and old, unused coal cellars will also be filled in under city streets like Dawson St so that there are no dangerous, hollowed-out areas beneath the new tram tracks.

Once outside the city centre, the new line will stop at DIT Broadstone, Phibsborough, Cabra and finally at Broombridge.

The project — costing e61.6m per kilometre —will have 13 stops and will offer an end-to-end travel time of 24 minutes.

http://www.thestar.ie/star/new-luas-line-on-track-for-airport/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭AngryLips

It would result in a solution not unlike the airport link in Porto if they extended the Luas to Dublin Airport. When you think about the cost of MN or DU you could actually get another two or three Luas lines for the same price.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,678 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

God help the people who come to Ireland and have to go through places like Finglas and Ballymun. Talk about first impressions.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    God help the people who come to Ireland and have to go through places like Finglas and Ballymun. Talk about first impressions.....

Tourists staying in the city centre pre-Port Tunnel had no option but to go via Ballymun (drastic change is recent years) /Phibsborough etc and I can't say I've heard any complaints.

I would definitely support extending the line to Finglas. Such a huge population area would significantly increase the amount of people who could use the line. Crossing the Tolka valley would be a large expense though but one I feel would be worth it. It might actually work as a starting point for people who wish to explore this newly developing park.

Here is the winning entry for the Liffey valley Metro West Bridge.
    http://www.herald.ie/news/futuristic-design-revealed-for-metro-west-bridge-over-liffey-27902780.html

The five finalists can be seen here
    http://www.riai.ie/index.php/competitions/archive-detail/metro_west_liffey_valley_bridge_competition

I also posted this in the new DIT Grangegorman development thread but thought people here might be interested as it shows the Luas Broadstone stop. This will be the new Broadstone Gate entrance to the new DIT campus in Grangegorman. It will be located where the Maxoil garage is on Constitution Hill almost opposite Kings Inn

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    I take it you've never been on the RER from Charles de Gaulle!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

I also posted this in the new DIT Grangegorman development thread but thought people here might be interested as it shows the Luas Broadstone stop. This will be the new Broadstone Gate entrance to the new DIT campus in Grangegorman. It will be located where the Maxoil garage is on Constitution Hill almost opposite Kings Inn
    R.I.P. cheap petrol! :D

I'm wondering why they preferred Boombridge over going out the Navan Road, serving the Phoenix Park, Cabra and Castleknock and meeting the Maynooth line at the Phoenix Park Racecourse Station?

It's ridiculous the Phoenix Park doesn't have a stop (and Heuston does not count!)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

I would definitely support extending the line to Finglas. Such a huge population area would significantly increase the amount of people who could use the line. Crossing the Tolka valley would be a large expense though but one I feel would be worth it. It might actually work as a starting point for people who wish to explore this newly developing park.

Here is the winning entry for the Liffey valley Metro West Bridge.
    http://www.herald.ie/news/futuristic-design-revealed-for-metro-west-bridge-over-liffey-27902780.html

The five finalists can be seen here
    http://www.riai.ie/index.php/competitions/archive-detail/metro_west_liffey_valley_bridge_competition

You might be getting your locations mixed up?

The valley is not too large between the end of BXD and Finglas.

monument wrote: »
    You might be getting your locations mixed up?

The valley is not too large between the end of BXD and Finglas.

Oh its certainly not as big as as the Liffey valley, but its not insignificant either and would require a decent sized bridge to get a level run from one side to the other. I added the links to the others bridges as an example of what has been proposed for a very similar solution.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭TheBandicoot

No, no no! :mad: That's terrible news from Varadkar. Instead of looking for small amounts of money to spend on itty bitty projects(that are not even designed yet), he and the Department should be looking to raise a large pot to get DU or MN, which are both shovel-ready, built. Varadkar's comments just indicate to me that the Department has its priorities all wrong and lacks long term vision.

Seeing the under-capacity already evident at peak times on the Red Line (especially between Heuston/Connelly) and on even the extension of the Green Line at the morning rush (once it leaves the wide open spaces of the old Harcourt St route and hits the Ballyogan Road) - the capacity issue would surely make this a non-solution to the Airport problem?

By all means extend it to Finglas; but it will NOT be a solution to the Airport link.
    :mad:

By all means extend it to Finglas; but it will NOT be a solution to the Airport link.

Completely agree. If I had to choose between Dart Uunderground or Metro North I would probably choose DU as I think its more important to our transport infrastructure overall.

• Advertisement

Completely agree. If I had to choose between Dart Uunderground or Metro North I would probably choose DU as I think its more important to our transport infrastructure overall.

Absolutely. DU would open up possibilities for a DART solution to the Airport problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭AngryLips

Seeing the under-capacity already evident at peak times on the Red Line (especially between Heuston/Connelly) and on even the extension of the Green Line at the morning rush (once it leaves the wide open spaces of the old Harcourt St route and hits the Ballyogan Road) - the capacity issue would surely make this a non-solution to the Airport problem?

I'm not arguing the point but is capacity actually a problem on Luas? It's talked about here much more than I've actually experienced it in real life.

AngryLips wrote: »
    I'm not arguing the point but is capacity actually a problem on Luas? It's talked about here much more than I've actually experienced it in real life.

Not off-peak; but definitely at the morning peak on the Green Line and evening peak on the Red Line between the inter-city railway stations.

Just this morning I saw people failing to get into a tram at Glencairn on the Green extension; it was full on arrival and the next one wasn't for 18 minutes.

The combination of Airport traffic and commuter loads would overwhelm the Green Line.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Cool Mo D

Not off-peak; but definitely at the morning peak on the Green Line and evening peak on the Red Line between the inter-city railway stations.

Just this morning I saw people failing to get into a tram at Glencairn on the Green extension; it was full on arrival and the next one wasn't for 18 minutes.

The combination of Airport traffic and commuter loads would overwhelm the Green Line.

I don't think that's true. If the green line went to the airport, most traffic would from the airport would be getting off in the city centre, the same as traffic from the southside. There wouldn't be a huge overlap of people travelling across the city. Metro North is still a better option though.

Cool Mo D wrote: »
    I don't think that's true. If the green line went to the airport, most traffic would from the airport would be getting off in the city centre, the same as traffic from the southside. There wouldn't be a huge overlap of people travelling across the city. Metro North is still a better option though.

There would be a very considerable usage from the southside Green line to the Airport and back, and as I said at peak hours the current Green Line can already struggle to cope.

I recall only a couple of years ago people were predicting the Green extension would be unused; since the P+R facilities got going we have what we had this morning at Glencairn.

Off-peak; light use between Cherrywood and Ballyogan. But that doesn't help the commuters!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Ahh the star, the headline is not at all reflective of what was said.

donvito99 wrote: »
    Tourists staying in the city centre pre-Port Tunnel had no option but to go via Ballymun (drastic change is recent years) /Phibsborough etc and I can't say I've heard any complaints.

What airport bound bus ever went via ballymun? They've always gone via drumcondra and santry as far as I know.

cgcsb wrote: »
    Ahh the star, the headline is not at all reflective of what was said.

Ye I was hesitant about posting it myself but thought it best that it was here rather than not.

I'm wondering why they preferred Boombridge over going out the Navan Road, serving the Phoenix Park, Cabra and Castleknock and meeting the Maynooth line at the Phoenix Park Racecourse Station?

Where would there be space for a surface luas alignment on the Navan road and between the NAvan road and city centre?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

cgcsb wrote: »
    What airport bound bus ever went via ballymun? They've always gone via drumcondra and santry as far as I know.

Not buses. Taxis, rentals. And when I said etc, I meant other routes, Whitehall and so on. Prob shouldn't have said Phibsborough.

Advertisement