Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Luas Cross City (Line BX/D) [now open]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,326 ✭✭✭cgcsb

donvito99 wrote: »
    Not buses. Taxis, rentals. And when I said etc, I meant other routes, Whitehall and so on. Prob shouldn't have said Phibsborough.

If a taxi driver took you to the airport via ballymun, you should ask for your money back, he was taking you for a spin. Drumcondra road is the second most direct route after the port tunnel.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

cgcsb wrote: »
    If a taxi driver took you to the airport via ballymun, you should ask for your money back, he was taking you for a spin. Drumcondra road is the second most direct route after the port tunnel.

Not if you're going to Templeogue, Rathmines, Terenure, Rathfarnham via Christchurch, but I guess tourists wouldn't necessarily take that route.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭nowecant

Seen guys taking measures and levels at the Taxi rank on O'Connell street today.

Does anyone have any links to information regarding the proposed final traffic flow around the city centre?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,326 ✭✭✭cgcsb

donvito99 wrote: »
    Not if you're going to Templeogue, Rathmines, Terenure, Rathfarnham via Christchurch, but I guess tourists wouldn't necessarily take that route.:rolleyes:

Anyone going to Templeogue, Terenure or Rathfarnham from the Airport should just take the M50. Heading for Rathmines, you'd be much faster taking Drumcondra-Dorset st-Bolton st-Curch st-Christchurch. That's the route that AA and google maps recommend also.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,352 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Can we get back on topic - Luas BXD?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭PauloConn

So Leao's signing the documents today so will that make it official or officially give it funding? I'm looking forward to it, going to make the city a whole lot easier to get about

• Registered Users Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭AngryLips

According to this report in the Irish Times:
    The new line will integrate with suburban rail services on the Maynooth and Dunboyne train lines

...I thought that Broombridge was only served by Maynooth services - is that right?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,690 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

AngryLips wrote: »
    According to this report in the Irish Times:

...I thought that Broombridge was only served by Maynooth services - is that right?

Both Maynooth and M3 Parkway services at Broombridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,544 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

AngryLips wrote: »

M3 Parkway trains serve Broombridge during peak hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 TheDB

Shouldn't we change the name of thread to reflect the new official name, Luas Cross City.

• 21 minutes to travel the 5.6Km extension of the Luas Green Line through the city centre from St Stephen’s Green West to Broombridge Station on the Maynooth railway line
    • 24 minutes to travel the 5.9km from Broombridge to St. Stephen’s Green
    • Length of track off Street – 2.9km – in the Old Broadstone Railway cutting

http://www.luascrosscity.ie/re-think/fast-stops/

My god it's slow. The above journey times are being massaged by the length of off-road section. Imagine how painful it will be as it crawls through the city centre. I doubt it will take too many passengers off the buses from Castleknock, Blanchardstown etc. who go to St Stephen's Green area. But then again it is going to fock up the whole Dublin Bus network.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

TheDB wrote: »
    Shouldn't we change the name of thread to reflect the new official name, Luas Cross City.

My god it's slow. The above journey times are being massaged by the length of off-road section. Imagine how painful it will be as it crawls through the city centre. I doubt it will take too many passengers off the buses from Castleknock, Blanchardstown etc. who go to St Stephen's Green area. But then again it is going to fock up the whole Dublin Bus network.

It's going nowhere near Castleknock or Blanchardstown, so I agree.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

It's awfully slow, which is why I don't see the point in a Finglas extension.

It takes just 25 mins to get from Charlestown(pretty much the most northern point of Finglas) to city centre on Dublin Bus. The Luas will take around 40 mins.

It's going nowhere near Castleknock or Blanchardstown, so I agree.

Yeah it connects onto the maynooth line. It's not going to attract too many cross mode passengers.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 378 ✭✭Quickelles

Bride's Glen to Stephen's Green; 18 km in 40 minutes. Then 21 minutes for the additional 5km to Broomsbridge.

Good argument for a metro.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

LEO:

It's not to late to go underground from Beechwood to Broadstone!

or is it.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Keep in mind that loads of people on here (including myself sometimes) give out about the city centre section of the red line, yet it is highly popular and successful.

monument wrote: »
    Keep in mind that loads of people on here (including myself sometimes) give out about the city centre section of the red line, yet it is highly popular and successful.

The Red Line didn't clog the main public transport artery of the city. Luas bxd is going to give Dublin a heart attack.

The Red Line didn't clog the main public transport artery of the city. Luas bxd is going to give Dublin a heart attack.

Giving Dublin a "heart attack" might be a good thing. A shock to the system can be positive. Heart attack victims can go onto recover if they can change their ways.

Pushing so many buses into the artery that is College Green to Parnell Square is madness and the main reason for doing so seems to be the apparent need not to affect motorists on other routes. If it takes adding BXD to the mix to save the patient, so be it!

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭nowecant

I wonder what is making it so slow, could it have anything to do with shared road space, current traffic arrangements etc?

Would it be possible to speed it up in future should these be changed?

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭PauloConn

It will be good to change the traffic flows in the city. People will complain as it will disrupt things but if it links up the major systems then it might not be such a bad thing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,277 ✭✭✭markpb

nowecant wrote: »
    I wonder what is making it so slow, could it have anything to do with shared road space, current traffic arrangements etc?

I think RPA have a policy of keeping on-street speeds extremely low to ensure that there aren't (m)any incidents with pedestrians and other road users.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

nowecant wrote: »

City centre speed limit is 30kph or 5 k every 10 minutes (12/14 minutes would be probably fairer here as it doesn't go from 0 to 30 in a second). Factor in 10 stop with 45 seconds per stop to Broombridge up to 17.5 minutes . Factor in 2 minutes for the extra 1K up to 19.5. And then lights etc

Rough numbers but you get the idea

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 378 ✭✭Quickelles

They might shave a bit off the time if they design the Grangegorman "ghost" stop in such a way that it doesn't slow down the tram passing through until it actually opens.

They have added about 3 minutes to the Cherrywood - Ballyogan stretch of the Green Line by forcing the trams to virtually stop in three "ghosts" - even though they don't operate.

And I note that the "Racecourse" ghost station never opens though there are lots of race meetings in Leopardstown. What's the problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

Nimrod 7 wrote: »
    It's awfully slow, which is why I don't see the point in a Finglas extension.

It takes just 25 mins to get from Charlestown(pretty much the most northern point of Finglas) to city centre on Dublin Bus. The Luas will take around 40 mins.

On what route and what time . On a very good day. It take me 30 - 35 minutes from the bottom of Ballymun road to Merrion Square and 20-25 minutes of that is to O'Connell St but this is peak

On what route and what time . On a very good day. It take me 30 - 35 minutes from the bottom of Ballymun road to Merrion Square and 20-25 minutes of that is to O'Connell St but this is peak

140 at off peak times.

The 140 is as direct as a route can get imo so most of the Charlestown/Mayestown area is well served at the moment.

Finglas Village to St. Stephen's Green is maybe 5 minutes shorter but the luas would take a good 30-35 minutes

City centre speed limit is 30kph or 5 k every 10 minutes (12/14 minutes would be probably fairer here as it doesn't go from 0 to 30 in a second). Factor in 10 stop with 45 seconds per stop to Broombridge up to 17.5 minutes . Factor in 2 minutes for the extra 1K up to 19.5. And then lights etc

Rough numbers but you get the idea

The many busy and/or major junctions, and some fairly sharp turns, I'm guessing are strong influences.

The bit of shared running on O'Connell Street could be a worry.

140 at off peak times.

The 140 is as direct as a route can get imo so most of the Charlestown/Mayestown area is well served at the moment.

Finglas Village to St. Stephen's Green is maybe 5 minutes shorter but the luas would take a good 30-35 minutes

The real important things are reliability and frequency. Speed is nearly secondary if those are not right. Luas beats Dublin Bus on reliability and frequency.

Frequency in its self can add to the over all speed of a person's journey.

And with the issue of reliability: It's better for people to know that most trams will (give or take a small bit) take 30mins, rather than that some buses will take 20mins but that often others may take closer to 40mins.

monument wrote: »
    The real important things are reliability and frequency. Speed is nearly secondary if those are not right. Luas beats Dublin Bus on reliability and frequency.

Frequency in its self can add to the over all speed of a person's journey.

And with the issue of reliability: It's better for people to know that most trams will (give or take a small bit) take 30mins, rather than that some buses will take 20mins but that often others may take closer to 40mins.

True, the Luas is a lot more consistent that DB. And the frequency of it can change the person's overall journey time.

True, the Luas is a lot more consistent that DB. And the frequency of it can change the person's overall journey time.

Luas bxd will directly effect 30 cross city bus routes. Dublin Bus said it would cause up to 10min delays on 85% of its passenger journeys (tbh I'd like to see a more detailed study on the effects the cross city luas will have on DB).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,277 ✭✭✭markpb

Luas bxd will directly effect 30 cross city bus routes. Dublin Bus said it would cause up to 10min delays on 85% of its passenger journeys (tbh I'd like to see a more detailed study on the effects the cross city luas will have on DB).

There's nothing wedding DB to their current city centre corridor, they can always move (with the assistance of the city council, of course).

And in fact, since the time for objections and changes of mind has passed, DB will have to start planning for this. Luas BXD is going that way for better or for worse. DB can protest and complain or they can be proactive and start finding alternative routes.

Would it be churlish to point out that the route for BXD was being decided when DB were planning their network reorganisation? Some of those cross city routes were created when DB knew they would eventually face disruption from BXD.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭Richard Logue

Has anyone seen this mornings Sunday Business Post? In it they have a sub headline claiming that the RPA have no major rail projects.

Anyone who has ever been involved with project management in general will know that a major project like Luas BXD will have had a lot of detailed planning and surveying long before the general public become aware of what is going to happen and when.

It's my opinion that making a statement as the SBP have made on their front page is at best ignorant of how project management of infrastructure projects really work.

Advertisement