Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Luas Cross City Line (BXD)

Options
  • 23-04-2013 12:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭

I've created a gallery of photographs for the forthcoming LUAS Cross City Line which will operate from St. Stephen's Green to Broombridge. This can be viewed at http://smu.gs/ZsJ6XB

The first part of the gallery is a photograhic survey of the route in its current form before construction starts later in the year.

I would hope this thread will become a focal point of discussion about the future LUAS Cross City Line. If anybody has any questions then please feel free to post them.

The Wanderer.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭Eiretrains

Looking forward to seeing the developments on the Broadstone trackbed, I was there in November and I caught the weed sprayer moving along the trackbed.:D
    I wish they could have named the planned stop on Fassaugh Rd 'Dalymount' instead to attract people to my footballing haunt.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,082 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Eiretrains wrote: »
    I wish they could have named the planned stop on Fassaugh Rd 'Dalymount' instead to attract people to my footballing haunt.

Don't you mean NAMAMount? ;):D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭Con Logue

When the Arrow service between Heuston and Kildare commenced in 1994, I remember well one review of the service that described the now demolished Cherry Orchard station as "Ireland's first combat ready railway station". Broombridge will certainly need to be combat ready with plenty of tough security guards when the building materials for the Cross City Line are put in place there..

• Registered Users Posts: 68,492 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The presence of any amount of people seen as 'authority' as well as lighting might be enough to keep them away

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

I would hope this thread will become a focal point of discussion about the future LUAS Cross City Line. If anybody has any questions then please feel free to post them.

The Wanderer.

Top Stuff Wanderer,well done.

It's sad to note that it's only now the some entity has finally decided that The Parnell St/Domnick St end of Dublin merits a Public Transport service.

It's equally sad (:o) to note the discombobulation which the traditional Dublin Taxidriver is facing.....especially with Ivor Callelly now unavoidably unable to champion a joint Luas/TaxiRank in O Connell St.....:eek:

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭GCU Flexible Demeanour

Con Logue wrote: »
    Broombridge will certainly need to be combat ready with plenty of tough security guards when the building materials for the Cross City Line are put in place there..
    I've been Googling around a little about the new Luas line, terminating at the IE station in Broombridge. There is a standard line on security
    http://www.rpa.ie/en/projects/luas_city_broombridge/Pages/FAQs.aspx#anchor_security

Q: Will there be good security and safety arrangements at stops?

A: Luas Broombridge will be a very secure system for the passengers. The stops will be extensively monitored by means of CCTV and the vehicles will also have on-board cameras to deter unruly behaviour. In both cases the output will be recorded and retained for a period so that it can be used as evidence if required subsequently. In addition all vehicles and stops will be patrolled on a regular basis by uniformed staff.
    However, the Broombridge IE station is in a permanent state of ruin. There seems to be an obvious security issue in having a Luas terminus at that point - I can't see people feeling comfortable as they wait for a connection.

Now, maybe we could hope that regular traffic - in the form of frequent passing of Luas-related passengers - would mean the station is no longer a magnet for anti-social behaviour. I'd just wonder does anyone - RPA, or IE or whomever, have a plan? Certainly, there's no evidence of the authorities being able to protect the existing station.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,635 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

To be fair - the current station is in the middle of an industrial wilderness that will be gone after the LUAS depot is built - the site itself will be far less attractive to the local gurriers post-redevelopment.

lxflyer wrote: »
    To be fair - the current station is in the middle of an industrial wilderness that will be gone after the LUAS depot is built - the site itself will be far less attractive to the local gurriers post-redevelopment.
    Let me say, I certainly hope that's the case. But, presumably, the Luas won't take up the whole area. The industrial estate across the canal will, presumably, still be there and still be dead at night.

To be clear, I'm not suggesting we abandon the area to the Zombie Apocalypse. It just strikes me as something that requires a structured plan, in advance, as the local Mau Mau may well try it on.

Well I would suggest that, given trams will be stored on site, there is going to have be a significant security presence at the location.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,327 ✭✭✭dowlingm

sadly rather than being a positive development I foresee any number of apologists damning the "gentrification" and "police state" required to merely impede gurriers from doing as they damned well please.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,488 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Another Luas Depot, why do we need three for such a small system?

Amsterdam has an enormous tram system and still only has two depots, one purely for storage, why do we need all the costs associated with three?

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 6,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

Eiretrains wrote: »
    Looking forward to seeing the developments on the Broadstone trackbed, I was there in November and I caught the weed sprayer moving along the trackbed.:D

There'll be one on Fassaugh Road? Grand and handy altogether then!

I've been walking around the city centre when I'm in Dublin, that bridge over the Liffey is coming on slowly, it must be close to two years since it started?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,327 ✭✭✭dowlingm

Another Luas Depot, why do we need three for such a small system?

Amsterdam has an enormous tram system and still only has two depots, one purely for storage, why do we need all the costs associated with three?
    Can't speak to Amsterdam's system but one would hope that Line D won't be the last Luas extension and thus will make sense in time. The single interline linkages makes the system fragile in the event of fires etc. so trams could find an alternate home for the night if their own was cut off. A depot at both ends of the B-D axis should mean less deadheading time one would think.

Presumably it's needed for storage space, plus it cuts cost of dead running to start in the early mornings.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Also if a tram failed on the new extension, imagine how long it would take to clear it off the running lines.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭The_Wanderer

lxflyer wrote: »
    Presumably it's needed for storage space, plus it cuts cost of dead running to start in the early mornings.

Plus it allows longer periods at night for engineering works to take place. If a tram had to return empty from Broombridge to Sandyford and empty from Sandyford to Broombridge in the morning it would only allow a period from 0200 - 0400 approximately for maintenance work to take place.

With the depot at Broombridge I would suspect a period of 0100 - 0430 can be used for engineering works.

So while it may seem extreme to have depots at each end of the line it is actually makes very good sense in the overall picture.

The Wanderer.

P.S. I still think they will need armed security there to keep the place secure! :D

P.S. I still think they will need armed security there to keep the place secure! :D
    A picture might give people an idea of how tucked away the station is.

https://maps.google.ie/?ll=53.372864,-6.29993&spn=0.000013,0.009645&t=m&z=17&layer=c&cbll=53.372866,-6.29993&panoid=Day8S3TtlJLnXLFY3B9_6A&cbp=12,102.67,,2,1.96

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

The land adjacent to the station looks like it was "ploughed" recently. i.e. it's all turned.

Can't believe the plans don't include 24 hour security. How many thousands worth of damage will be caused before they do.

Still don't know where the Gardaí are in all this, I'm suspecting still absent is the answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

n97 mini wrote: »
    The land adjacent to the station looks like it was "ploughed" recently. i.e. it's all turned.

Can't believe the plans don't include 24 hour security. How many thousands worth of damage will be caused before they do.

Still don't know where the Gardaí are in all this, I'm suspecting still absent is the answer.

The Gardai are in their usual position,Caught In The Middle.

Those Gardai in Cabra and Finglas,who regularly respond to various calls regarding this "Facility",would be able to rattle off a long list of names accurately listing those who conspire to keep Broombridge free from Normality.

Forget about Commuting and Railways for a moment,and instead focus on those images of Broombridge Station and it's ideal location for a wide variety of anti-social and downright criminal practices.

There are some individuals with a significant stake in keeping Broombridge exactly as it is........;)

The RPA will at some point have to address this reality,and it will be interestying to see just how they propose to do it ?

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

AlekSmart wrote: »
    The Gardai are in their usual position,Caught In The Middle.
    Not doubting what you say, but in all my times in Broombridge I've seen gay orgies*, bonfires on the platforms, cider parties, burning cars, I've been on several stoned trains etc., but I've never seen the gardaí?

*http://www.joe.ie/news/current-affairs/pic-what-the-hell-is-going-on-at-broombridge-train-station-in-dublin-nsfw/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,137 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

n97 mini wrote: »
    Not doubting what you say, but in all my times in Broombridge I've seen gay orgies*, bonfires on the platforms, cider parties, burning cars, I've been on several stoned trains etc., but I've never seen the gardaí?

*http://www.joe.ie/news/current-affairs/pic-what-the-hell-is-going-on-at-broombridge-train-station-in-dublin-nsfw/

That's not a gay orgy. If you look closely you will see that its merely a bonfire on the platform, cider party and lads dropping their trousers to flash at a train and the burning car could be out of shot. :D

In all fairness to your description of Broombridge, I reckon it would be the last place on earth gay people would hold an orgy. But each to their own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭TheBandicoot

I'm waiting with baited breath for a local councillor to object to the destruction of the 'youth facility' that the wasteland provides, or at least demand that some youth centre or sport facility is provided in trade. The unfortunate thing is he would probably be right, the area probably means a lot to certain locals and many will have fond memories of their teenage experiences there.

The LUAS Cross City route was walked on Saturday and pictures from that are in the LUAS Cross City gallery at http://smu.gs/1DroKFF

The Wanderer.

DSC_0345-M.jpg

Evening all,

Plus update to the LUAS Cross City construction. See http://smu.gs/1MuiYa3 to view. Features tracks laid around College Green.

DSC_8288-M.jpg

The Wanderer.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Montpelier Hill

Hi everyone, nice to see tram rails are now being put in place on the corner at top of Dawson st. (took a few photos but unable to post.)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭ClovenHoof

Will new trams be ordered for the line?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭ClovenHoof

Broombridge won't be a problem any more. The issue now is there is nothing around the station in terms of human activity. When the interchange is built it will be filled with people for nearly 18 hours a day.

The Skangers will probably move off to somewhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

ClovenHoof wrote: »
    Will new trams be ordered for the line?

Already ordered, they will be 56m long with 9 sections, 3 metres longer than the current green line trams.

I think just 7 are on order with options to extend the green line tram like the red line trams were. There were plans for 10 extra trams.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭BowWow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭Seesee

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/bus-concerns-on-the-new-luas-cross-city-line-1.2478013

I'm gobsmacked at this!

Here's more:
    http://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/buses-may-be-banned-from-college-green-due-to-luas-1.2478056

How could they not have planned this down to the nth degree before starting the project. Did they just think about how the luas would run on it's own and to hell with any other mode of transport?

Heads will roll - ha ha ha!

Advertisement