Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AIB Visa Debit Card roll out thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,533 ✭✭✭✭28064212

batistuta9 wrote: »
    it takes the number, name, expiry date which then can be transferred onto blank cards or used to buy stuff online with
    There's another way to get that information. You can look at the card. The attack doesn't disclose any new information. RFID isn't any more insecure than a physical copy of the card existing.

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 9,680 ✭✭✭billyhead

Folks,

I have ordered a new visa debit card to replace my laser card and i was wondering will te AIB card reader I received for my laser card no longer be needed and can I dump it out

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

No, you use the Visa Debit with it instead of the Laser card.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,119 ✭✭✭batistuta9

28064212 wrote: »
    There's another way to get that information. You can look at the card. The attack doesn't disclose any new information. RFID isn't any more insecure than a physical copy of the card existing.

it's easier to get that info though if it's being transmitted & to store it as well by skimming the cards, do you not think?

very few people would be able to remember a 16 digit number, name & a date from a few seconds glance at a card, most would get the name & date + probably a few digits but not the whole thing, this would further get messed up the more you done it in a short space of time.

+ how many people have actually had a hold of your bank card not that many i'd say

so using it is in a way less secure

i'm not saying don't use them, ban them, or that's there's going to an epidemic of people getting skimmed, - though some will - etc. just the fact that your cards info can be picked up easier from the cards that use RFID

• Registered Users Posts: 10,533 ✭✭✭✭28064212

batistuta9 wrote: »
    it's easier to get that info though if it's being transmitted & to store it as well by skimming the cards, do you not think?
    Have to be within 3-5cm of the card. Is the wallet in the left or right pocket? Back? Coat? Bag? ATM skimmers and cameras are already more productive. and give more information.

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,119 ✭✭✭batistuta9

28064212 wrote: »
    Have to be within 3-5cm of the card. Is the wallet in the left or right pocket? Back? Coat? Bag? ATM skimmers and cameras are already more productive. and give more information.

yeah that's around the range i've seen on it too, actually bang on 4cm comes up a lot but there's also plenty of reports of people using amplifiers on the readers

here's a paper from tel aviv university on amplifying them from 2006 for aound $100 http://www.eng.tau.ac.il/~yash/kw-usenix06/index.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭segaBOY

Just called card services. Explained that I visit the UK a lot and that laser doesn't work on some machines (it never works on the tube for e.g.). They said no prob, asked my laser card no., expiry date, my DOB, a/c no., branch and my home address and told me the pin will be posted tomorrow evening and the card at the end of the week. Should have it mid next week I reckon. Also my laser will remain open for the next 14 days.

Pretty painless process and told the complete truth.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

segaBOY wrote: »
    Just called card services. Explained that I visit the UK a lot and that laser doesn't work on some machines (it never works on the tube for e.g.). They said no prob, asked my laser card no., expiry date, my DOB, a/c no., branch and my home address and told me the pin will be posted tomorrow evening and the card at the end of the week. Should have it mid next week I reckon. Also my laser will remain open for the next 14 days.

I phoned them yesterday and said the same thing, they told me I would have to contact my branch :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 43,835 ✭✭✭✭Basq

segaBOY wrote: »

I've actually a dodgy Laser card as well..

.. some places it works fine in but was in a florist last week and Tesco at the weekend which it didn't work in.

Will give them a call before weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭segaBOY

I phoned them yesterday and said the same thing, they told me I would have to contact my branch :confused:

Maybe give them a call again? I told them that I travel to the UK a lot (which I do) and that laser doesn't always work (which it doesn't). The lady was very polite on the phone and sorted it no problems. I selected other queries in the initial option and then selected "general account queries". I did not select the lost/stolen card or replacement card as I felt it was not fully appropriate (not sure if this actually matters). That is exactly what I did. I hope it is of some help. It felt like I was living in a third world country having to fight with everyone outside this island to take money off of me when trying to use a laser, breaks one's heart.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,040 ✭✭✭OU812

Got my PIN today, expecting card on Thursday

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

Got my card today after ordering it on wednesday. No hassle at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Chessala

Got the card now as well. I usually call my branch directly to avoid the auto menu. Was redirected to the cards department and got my card on Monday, was ordered on Wednesday.

Do I need to do anything to unblock the VISA function? I know with BOI you had to activate it in an ATM but no word from AIB?

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭BroLo

Chessala wrote: »
    Got the card now as well. I usually call my branch directly to avoid the auto menu. Was redirected to the cards department and got my card on Monday, was ordered on Wednesday.

Do I need to do anything to unblock the VISA function? I know with BOI you had to activate it in an ATM but no word from AIB?

Do you mean to use it online and on the phone?

Or do you mean the contactless feature?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,680 ✭✭✭billyhead

Can someone please clarify what extra costs over the Laser card their are for using the new card. Just need to know before I start going spending mad with it. Are you charged extra for every online and contactless purchase. Are the same charges for ATM withdrawals as the laser card etc. Also is there an annual stamp duty charge like credit cards?

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Chessala

@Brolo: I mean to use it online like a credit card. Not caring much for the contactless feature

billyhead wrote: »
    Can someone please clarify what extra costs over the Laser card their are for using the new card. Just need to know before I start going spending mad with it. Are you charged extra for every online and contactless purchase. Are the same charges for ATM withdrawals as the laser card etc. Also is there an annual stamp duty charge like credit cards?

http://www.aib.ie/personal/current-accounts/Debit-Card-Fees-and-Charges

For every transaction in Euro it's 20 cent. Contactless transactions are free until 29 Nov 2013 though.

For every Point of Sale (buying something) transaction in a foreign currency its 1.75% of euro value (Minimum EUR 0.45, Maximum EUR 11.00)

For every cash withdrawal transaction it's 2.5% of euro value.

And finally there's a cash withdrawal commission of 1% of euro value (Minimum EUR 2.00, Maximum EUR 6.00)
    Chessala wrote: »
    @Brolo: I mean to use it online like a credit card. Not caring much for the contactless feature

You don't need to activate it to use it online, just work away. You only need to activate it at an ATM to use the contactless features. I asked the cards dept this.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,746 ✭✭✭✭FewFew

Opened a new account at the end of September. Trading account, so I explained most of my transactions were online, so need a Visa Debit. Grand. They said they wouldn't order my card til the start of October.

Waited a month. Rang up and they said my card was never ordered. Thought it may be Visa Debit roll-out related, but now reading this thread... RAGE!

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Shyboy

Jimdagym wrote: »
    Got my card today after ordering it on wednesday. No hassle at all.

This might be an obvious question, but does the new Visa Debit Card have a totally different number than the old Laser Card?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,040 ✭✭✭OU812

^ Yes, laser has three more digits. You'll also get a new PIN

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Shyboy

Ok, thanks!!

• Registered Users Posts: 43,835 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Friend in Sligo was isused a Visa Debit there this morning without requesting, so it's looking like they're rolling them out countrywide.

Rang up AIB Card Services and got through to a nice woman. Told her Laser card was faulty anyways - which it is.

Was told she'd issue a 14 day cancellation on my current card and issue me a Visa Debit.

Was told New PIN will leave their offices tomorrow, and New Card will leave on Monday. And both cards will go to my billing address.

Both informative, and painless! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭Fromthetrees

Basq wrote: »
    Friend in Sligo was isused a Visa Debit there this morning without requesting, so it's looking like they're rolling them out countrywide.

Rang up AIB Card Services and got through to a nice woman. Told her Laser card was faulty anyways - which it is.

Was told she'd issue a 14 day cancellation on my current card and issue me a Visa Debit.

Was told New PIN will leave their offices tomorrow, and New Card will leave on Monday. And both cards will go to my billing address.

Both informative, and painless! ;)

I rang AIB yesterday about it, they said they were issuing all customers with Debit Cards soon, they said they were sending them out at my specific branch in January.

Oddly enough, my card has developed a fault since yesterday and I'm going to have to order a new card today. :)

I thought AIB were issuing their debit cards as Mastercards not Visa?

I rang AIB yesterday about it, they said they were issuing all customers with Debit Cards soon, they said they were sending them out at my specific branch in January.

Oddly enough, my card has developed a fault since yesterday and I'm going to have to order a new card today. :)

I thought AIB were issuing their debit cards as Mastercards not Visa?

No offence, but I think the past 30 pages show that it's Visa debit cards and not Mastercard debit cards?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭Karen23

My boss lost her laser and rang for a replacement and got a visa debit , woman in front of me this morning in the supermarket had one too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

Just rang card services there and should have my new visa debit card Monday. At long last I can buy online without any hassle!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭Fromthetrees

BroLo wrote: »
    No offence, but I think the past 30 pages show that it's Visa debit cards and not Mastercard debit cards?

I'm clearly too stupid to take offence. Just rang them there and ordered a replacement card and he said it's a Visa Debit Card they'll be sending out. Looks like this stupid person will be closing their Neteller account. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

I've been sent one without asking. Arrived this morning, totally unexpected.

Is there anyone that has been sent one without really wanting one?

A contactless payment card to boot, which I'm not too keen on. What are my options for a, 'just get money from the ATM' card now?

Same saga as before, I never really wanted a Laser\Maestro card either. Oh well.

Ask them do they do just ATM cards.

If that fails you can get the card without contactless. Mine came without it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭cazzak79

The cards are visa debug cards so yep it's visa
    Also all laser cards are being replaced so you will be getting a visa debit cards to replace it's phased basis unless you ring them up need replacing your old card

Advertisement