Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AIB Visa Debit Card roll out thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

There are different fees regardless of what brand the debit cards are.
    AIB reintroduced current account fees, so there are now debit card charges on a lot of accounts. You should consult your schedule of fees.

http://www.aib.ie/personal/home/Fees-and-Charges

Any new fees have nothing whatsoever to do with the Visa debit change over though. It's more just about generally trying to extract more money out of people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭user1842

Solair wrote: »
    There are different fees regardless of what brand the debit cards are.
    AIB reintroduced current account fees, so there are now debit card charges on a lot of accounts. You should consult your schedule of fees.

http://www.aib.ie/personal/home/Fees-and-Charges

Any new fees have nothing whatsoever to do with the Visa debit change over though. It's more just about generally trying to extract more money out of people.

You are correct in regards to the fees AIB charges their customers have nothing to do with VISA debit.

However the fees have increased for retailers for accepting each VISA debit transaction from Laser.

The Laser fee was 3.81c per EMV chip transaction, the VISA debit fee is 10c* per EMV chip transaction.

The above fee is called interchange and goes to the issuing bank.

The retailer pays a lot more than the 10c for each EMV chip transaction. They also pay the business that provides them the payment terminal (acquirer) another fixed fee per transaction along with a monthly rental charge.

*for the average debit card EMV chip transaction, for EMV chip transactions under €15 its 5c and for contactless transactions under €2 its 1c

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭quinnd6

I wonder will AIB ever have visa debit cards at all?
    The fact they don't and all the other banks do makes them look useless.
    I might consider leaving them altogether.
    The rate of interest they offer has gone down aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭BroLo

They will. They have issued them in some (one?) Dublin branches. They will be coming to other branches across the country in the next few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭quinnd6

I'll believe it when I see it.

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

BroLo wrote: »

Well said my son!

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭cazzak79

I got mine as I'm in bankcentre branch it's going branch by branch at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 18,144 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Got mine too!

8103479684_8ae5bd2704.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

quinnd6 wrote: »
    I wonder will AIB ever have visa debit cards at all?
    The fact they don't and all the other banks do makes them look useless.
    I might consider leaving them altogether.
    The rate of interest they offer has gone down aswell.

Can you not read? Just a few posts before yours?:rolleyes:
    namloc1980 wrote: »
    Got mine too!

8103479684_8ae5bd2704.jpg

What branch are you? Bankcentre as well?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

I'm getting sent out a new card this week. Was hoping it would be the debit. After reading people getting new cards lately it looks like laser...

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭cazzak79

Are u in bankcentre branch those customers are the only ones getting it yet

• Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

cazzak79 wrote: »
    Are u in bankcentre branch those customers are the only ones getting it yet

Nope, not in Dublin :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

I was given the couple weeks line a couple of weeks ago.
    Laser makes online shopping so tedious.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭NeonCookies

I'm with AIB but I'm abroad at the moment. Does anyone know if I'm issued a Visa Debit card (they know I'm abroad, but it would be sent to my parents house), will my laser card stop working? If so, how soon after? I'm not using the laser card here at all right now, but I'd just like to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Cushie Butterfield

I'm with AIB but I'm abroad at the moment. Does anyone know if I'm issued a Visa Debit card (they know I'm abroad, but it would be sent to my parents house), will my laser card stop working? If so, how soon after? I'm not using the laser card here at all right now, but I'd just like to know.
    The way it worked with BOI was that your Laser would stop working two months after your VisaDebit being issued, so it would probably be a similar situation with AIB.

You could get your parents to activate your new VisaDebit in an ATM here if you trust them with your PIN & have them post it over to you or you can activate it yourself when abroad at an ATM displaying the Visa logo. YOu can do a search here by tying in your location:
    http://www.visa.com/atmlocator/index.jsp

Anyone that has already received their card: Was it automatically issued or did you have to request it? Will you have to pay the debit card fee again if you request it?

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭NeonCookies

The way it worked with BOI was that your Laser would stop working two months after your VisaDebit being issued, so it would probably be a similar situation with AIB.

You could get your parents to activate your new VisaDebit in an ATM here if you trust them with your PIN & have them post it over to you or you can activate it yourself when abroad at an ATM displaying the Visa logo. YOu can do a search here by tying in your location:
    http://www.visa.com/atmlocator/index.jsp

Thanks very much. Yea, I would trust them with my pin so I could do that. I will be home in early March, but I'll be going travelling for a few weeks before I get home so I don't want to end up being stuck as my credit card has a low limit because it's a student one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭dotsman

Anyone that has already received their card: Was it automatically issued or did you have to request it? Will you have to pay the debit card fee again if you request it?
    Automatically. Anybody requesting a replacement card up to November 1st get's a Maestro. After November 1st, anybody requesting a replacement will get a Visa.

Not sure about the fee you are referring to. I've never heard of a fee (but it has been a few years since I had to request a replacement).

dotsman wrote: »
    Automatically. Anybody requesting a replacement card up to November 1st get's a Maestro. After November 1st, anybody requesting a replacement will get a Visa.

Not sure about the fee you are referring to. I've never heard of a fee (but it has been a few years since I had to request a replacement).

Ah right I see.

The fee I'm talking about is the €5.00 fee for a Debit card...

• Advertisement

Ah right I see.

The fee I'm talking about is the €5.00 fee for a Debit card...

The Government Stamp Duty? No, it doesn't apply to replacements.

dotsman wrote: »
    The Government Stamp Duty? No, it doesn't apply to replacements.

Yea that's the one. Perfect, think I'll order my replacement next week, presuming they're available. :)

So what we're saying is, a whole crowd of people will go into AIB after Nov 1st to order a replacement card because they "lost" their Laser? And AIB will be completely fine with everybody spoofing them?
    Or can we ask directly for a Visa card?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Cushie Butterfield

Eathrin wrote: »
    So what we're saying is, a whole crowd of people will go into AIB after Nov 1st to order a replacement card because they "lost" their Laser? And AIB will be completely fine with everybody spoofing them?
    It's just a matter of circumventing the system to jump the queue. You could just go in & say you want to oder a VisaDebit, but the likelihood is you'll be told that they're being phased in on a branch by branch basis & you'll have to wait for your turn. So the reality is that you will have to say you lost your Laser - the staff don't really care they just need an option to input on their system & the closest option available for them to input which would achieve the desired outcome is lost or damaged card.

It would have been the same if for some reason you wanted a new Laser card - they need a reason - it's just they don't have the option to input or tick 'customer wants a new card'.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Chessala

Just got off the phone with AIB and was told that 8Quote) "Today is the launch day." for the card.

I requested my new one since my card by now needs several tries to be read anyway. Will be sent out on Tuesday so we'll see....Wexford branch btw.

Rang my branch in Limerick today and they said they haven't been told when they'll get it yet :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Heisenberg1

I asked today in my branch Stillorgan was there any updates the girl said that

they will be rolling out to customers of that branch in wait for it....... June

2013:eek: What a bunch of clowns AIB are.

There won't be that big of a crowd. There will be far more resistance from customers than there will be demand. A few more than usual will report their card damaged/lost next week and that will be it.
    I asked today in my branch Stillorgan was there any updates the girl said that

they will be rolling out to customers of that branch in wait for it....... June

2013:eek: What a bunch of clowns AIB are.

What's wrong with that? The roll-out is from October to next Summer. They have to process, print, verify and post over a million cards. Someone has to be last. If it means that much to you, you can just ask for a replacement card after November 1st.

Would they be alright with me specifying a Visa debit when asking for a replacement?

• Advertisement

Would they be alright with me specifying a Visa debit when asking for a replacement?

My understanding is that, from the 1st, they can only replace debit cards with Visa (they will stop issuing Maestro from the 31st). Best to confirm when asking.

Advertisement