Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AIB Visa Debit Card roll out thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

Just rang them up saying my laser is faulty. Which it's not.. hehe

Visa Debit on it's way in the post! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

Alt_Grrr wrote: »
    The card number stays the same (the 7 digits in the bottom row), but the laser number (the 19 digits across the middle) is replaced by a visa number (16 digits) and they don't seem to match up. Also the CVV2 number on the back is different.

the pin remains the same.

Its not that big a problem, the laser card is still active until the middle of January next year (they will expire early according to the letter), so you have plenty of time to update details.

The card number is not the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭Alt_Grrr

Jimdagym wrote: »
    The card number is not the same.

Holding the two of them in my hands now, the card number (the 7 digit number which is on the bottom, labelled "card number") is the same on both.

Holding the two of them in my hands now, the card number (the 7 digit number which is on the bottom, labelled "card number") is the same on both.

Mine are not.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 TomH2012

Hey I ordered my AIB debit visa today aswell does anyone know if the card will be accepted on amazon, play.com ,topman and Zara sites etc

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Alt_Grrr View Post
    Mine are not.

Ordered mine last week. Was away all week, went home today to find the card in the post. The pin on a different letter was there too. Card number on the bottom of the 2 cards are completely different on mine too.

TomH2012 wrote: »
    Hey I ordered my AIB debit visa today aswell does anyone know if the card will be accepted on amazon, play.com ,topman and Zara sites etc
    Amazon.com accepts American Express, Diners Club, Discover, JCB, MasterCard, Eurocard, Visa, Visa Check Cards, payment from your checking account, Amazon.com gift cards, Amazon.com Gift Card claim codes, Amazon Payments Stored Balance, and the Amazon Store Card.
    We do not currently accept international wire transfers, PayPal, or Smart Cards. For grocery purchases, we are unable to apply manufacturer's coupons or food stamps.

From amazon site for example:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html/ref=hp_sn_pay?nodeId=513058

Anywhere that accepts or displays the visa logo will take these Visa debit cards.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Yawns wrote: »

Anywhere that accepts or displays the visa logo will take these Visa debit cards.

that'd be the majority of online retailer then wouldn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

batistuta9 wrote: »

Yes. And if they don't, PayPal accept Visa, as well as MoneyBookers and so on..

I think I may have solved this mystery, I never ordered it, it just turned up in the post.
    Got my card today after ordering it on wednesday. No hassle at all.
    Mine are not.
    Yawns wrote: »
    Ordered mine last week. Was away all week, went home today to find the card in the post. The pin on a different letter was there too. Card number on the bottom of the 2 cards are completely different on mine too.

I suspect that ordering a new card changes the card number. Mine has the same card number and it has the same pin.

• Advertisement

I think I may have solved this mystery, I never ordered it, it just turned up in the post.

I suspect that ordering a new card changes the card number. Mine has the same card number and it has the same pin.

That could be it alright. Mine was a replacement for a damaged one. New card number, new pin.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭dotsman

That could be it alright. Mine was a replacement for a damaged one. New card number, new pin.

I think people maybe confusing the Card Number. Both the Old Debit cards (Maestro) and the new ones (Visa) have a 7 digit "Card Number" at the bottom, to the right of the "Branch Number". However, the number that matters (ie the one you enter when purchasing on a website) is different - it has to be. Visa Debit uses a 16-digit number, while the Maestro uses a 19-digit number. These numbers are the main numbers that appear in the centre of the card and, although the contain the 7-digit card number, start differently to identify whether it is a Visa or a Maestro and the issuing bank.

See the wikipedia entries for Maestro and Visa Debit for more info (note, it appears that the wiki page hasn't been updated to specifically include AIB Visa Debit's unique number, but anything starting with 4319 is Visa Debit Ireland)

dotsman wrote: »
    I think people maybe confusing the Card Number. Both the Old Debit cards (Maestro) and the new ones (Visa) have a 7 digit "Card Number" at the bottom, to the right of the "Branch Number". However, the number that matters (ie the one you enter when purchasing on a website) is different - it has to be. Visa Debit uses a 16-digit number, while the Maestro uses a 19-digit number. These numbers are the main numbers that appear in the centre of the card and, although the contain the 7-digit card number, start differently to identify whether it is a Visa or a Maestro and the issuing bank.

See the wikipedia entries for Maestro and Visa Debit for more info (note, it appears that the wiki page hasn't been updated to specifically include AIB Visa Debit's unique number, but anything starting with 4319 is Visa Debit Ireland)

I'm pretty sure we're not confused. We were talking specifically about the card number at the bottom and not the main numbers on the card. It seems to be if you order a new visa debit card, you'll receive a card with a new card number along with a new pin. If you don't request a card, but one is sent to you anyway as part of the roll out, then you will have the same pin and card number at the bottom. It's a trivial matter only.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,860 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

Lads, I have a student account. IF I lose my current laser card, will I have to pay charges on the debit card?

At the moment, I pay absolutely no charges at all for the laser. I just pay the yearly tenner or whatever it is and thats all.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

If your account is currently not subject to fees then nothing will change for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,806 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Got mine today.. the look of the Visa Debit and Visa Credit Cards are very similar in my wallet - other than the fact that the the Visa Debit has more of a matte finish and no bubbles appearance.

• Administrators Posts: 53,460 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Any half-decent online retailer will accept both Visa and MasterCard. They would be crazy not to.

I have never found an online retailer that I have not been able to use a Visa card on.

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Got mine too!

8103479684_8ae5bd2704.jpg

If there's no wifi symbol on the card, that means it doesn't have contactless right?

anyone know why it doesn't have it?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,065 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Just reported my card lost there. I have it in my hand, but want it updated as it's not out of date for ages. A few purchases will be made online next week for Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭jaydoxx

If there's no wifi symbol on the card, that means it doesn't have contactless right?

It does have it; see bottom right of image.

• Advertisement

its not a wi-fi symbol, its a set of expanding waves for the NFC/RFID payment system, look at the symbol on the right of the card.

It is a contact-less payment card, good for transactions up to €15 euro. The info leaflet supplied with the card should have a better explanation.

dotsman wrote: »
    I think people maybe confusing the Card Number.

We're not, see below.
    The card number stays the same (the 7 digits in the bottom row), but the laser number (the 19 digits across the middle) is replaced by a visa number (16 digits) and they don't seem to match up. Also the CVV2 number on the back is different.

the pin remains the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 350125GO!

Hey just hearing about this visa debit card now. Are they sending them out to replace your laser right away or do you have to wait for your laser to expire?
    :confused:
    My laser dosent expire until 2016.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Expiring ones will be replaced first but eventually they will all be phased out.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 350125GO!

BuffyBot wrote: »
    Expiring ones will be replaced first but eventually they will all be phased out.

Thanks. Im not to pushed about having a visa debit card as i have an ulsterbank account. But i moved recently and never changed my address so was worried that somebody has just recived my new card and pin!

Must change that asp.

350125GO! wrote: »
    Hey just hearing about this visa debit card now. Are they sending them out to replace your laser right away or do you have to wait for your laser to expire?
    :confused:
    My laser dosent expire until 2016.

they are ending the laser card system in 2013, they are moving customers off it at the moment, my laser card is going to expire early according to the letter.

jaydoxx wrote: »
    It does have it; see bottom right of image.
    its not a wi-fi symbol, its a set of expanding waves for the NFC/RFID payment system, look at the symbol on the right of the card.

It is a contact-less payment card, good for transactions up to €15 euro. The info leaflet supplied with the card should have a better explanation.

I'm not on about the card in the picture i quoted, i'm not blind :pac:

I'm on about one i seen the last day that doesn't have the NFC symbol, anyone know why it wouldn't have it?

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Graciefacey

I'm not on about the card in the picture i quoted, i'm not blind :pac:

I'm on about one i seen the last day that doesn't have the NFC symbol, anyone know why it wouldn't have it?

this question has been answered several times. The basic student account which currently has a black banklink card is replaced with a card with no contactless facility. The only other situation where somebody would have no contactless facility is if they hold a 'basic current account' ie an account which holds no direct debits, standing orders or cards but is simply used as a feeder account. This type of account is not common in Ireland but is in Europe and the Us. 99% of aib visa debits will hold the contactless facility

this question has been answered several times. The basic student account which currently has a black banklink card is replaced with a card with no contactless facility. The only other situation where somebody would have no contactless facility is if they hold a 'basic current account' ie an account which holds no direct debits, standing orders or cards but is simply used as a feeder account. This type of account is not common in Ireland but is in Europe and the Us. 99% of aib visa debits will hold the contactless facility

she would have a student account, i don't know what type, but didn't have a black banklink card it was a laser card that was replaced should that make a difference?

could she order a contactless one without needing to change accounts or that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭Karen23

You can change the pin to your old one ( or any other number ) by selecting PIN services at the ATM.

Advertisement