Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AIB Visa Debit Card roll out thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭CSSE09

350125GO! wrote: »
    Hey just hearing about this visa debit card now. Are they sending them out to replace your laser right away or do you have to wait for your laser to expire?
    :confused:
    My laser dosent expire until 2016.

Call them up and request a replacement, funnily enough my new laser card that I got 4 weeks ago developed a fault...quick and painless call to card services, new card by next week :D

• Registered Users Posts: 28,734 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Just to let ye know..

Was just in a branch here (not my home branch) and asked about replacing my laser card as it's starting to crack (again). Guy behind the desk told me any replacements will be for Visa debits and put me onto Card Services.

Ordered and will be here next week - existing Laser will continue to work until I receive it.

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭revz

I went into the Grafton Street branch on the way back from College (Not my home branch), and went up to customer service with my laser card in hand (completely fine) which didn't expire until 2016, and just asked what was happening with the Visa debit cards and when people might be getting them.
    They just gave me a form to sign, said they'd send it on to my branch tomorrow and I'd receive my card soon, no hassle.
    My laser card will still work for 2 weeks after this arrived they said but I've disposed of it already (and successfully purchased something online with my new card; I can actually buy stuff online now!)
    It arrived in 3-4 working days after I went in.
    Was delighted with the customer service!

Edit: just as a note I have a student account and got a black+green/blue card with contactless functionality.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

I spoke to my branch and they ordered one for me. I just told them I would like to upgrade.... Happy days :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

Karen23 wrote: »
    You can change the pin to your old one ( or any other number ) by selecting PIN services at the ATM.

Yeah, I know that, I was just clarifying that not all card details were the same as the ones they replaced.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

Aib customer service doesn't seem to know what's going on , the staff in the bank don't seem to know what's going on ! It's a shambles.

I got my Visa card was told by a phone agent my pin was different and they'd send me out a new one which I never received then a second agent told me its the same as your laser card !

3 staff members from 2 different branches had different story's aswell !. I can confirm you do indeed get a new pin code ! At least in my case anyway.

• Administrators Posts: 53,459 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

If you get a new card because your laser expired then you shouldn't get a new pin (i.e. your card arrives in the post without you phoning to ask for it because your laser expires in nov 12).

If you phone up to ask for an upgrade / report a lost or stolen card then they will send you a new pin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

Im thinking of switching to AIB does anybody know if new members would get the visa debit card?

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Shinerrs

Sorry you just get Laser until they officially launch the visa in september 2013, from what I have to understand from it. No harms to call them and ask.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Heisenberg1

Im thinking of switching to AIB does anybody know if new members would get the visa debit card?

Yes you will be given a Visa debit, AIB don't issue Laser cards anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

Shinerrs wrote: »
    Sorry you just get Laser until they officially launch the visa in september 2013, from what I have to understand from it. No harms to call them and ask.

The're in the process of rolling them out now which is scheduled to take 6 months or so :confused: Where do you hear that the official launch is September 2013?

I can't see why they'd issue a new customer a Laser card only to have to give them a new Visa card in the next 6 months. I was under the impression any new cards being issued now or replacement cards would be Visa cards. I went into my local branch yesterday and told them my card was broken and when I asked whether the new card would be Visa they said yes as is what has happened with most people on this thread. Why'd they'd give a Laser card to a new customer but upgrade mine to a Laser doesn't make much sense tbh. If they are doing that well just take the Laser and after a day or two go back to the bank and say you broke the card :p

Ring them up first of all yeah but I'd imagine you'd get a Visa Debit card automatically.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Shinerrs

I know but I got a laser card from them 2-3 weeks ago. which sucks datad 2016

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭dotsman

Yes.

I'm sorry, but that's simply wrong. AIB don't issue any Laser/Maestro cards anymore. I don't know how many times I have to state it in this thread. It's very simple. On the 1st of November, AIB switched over from Maestro to Visa. From that date, they only issue Visa Debit Cards. All new/replacement cards are Visa. They are migrating the backlog of existing cards (over 1 million) between now and next summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭Karen23

dotsman wrote: »
    Yes.

I'm sorry, but that's simply wrong. AIB don't issue any Laser/Maestro cards anymore. I don't know how many times I have to state it in this thread. It's very simple. On the 1st of November, AIB switched over from Maestro to Visa. From that date, they only issue Visa Debit Cards. All new/replacement cards are Visa. They are migrating the backlog of existing cards (over 1 million) between now and next summer.

Yes , dotsman is right. We opened a joint account last week and both got Visa debit cards.

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Shyboy

I have had my new Visa Debit from AIB for the past few weeks and in general, it is great.

One small thing I have noticed is, if I withdraw cash from a non-AIB ATM, say Ulster or BOI, it takes a day or so for this to reflect in my account. My old laser card used to reflect the transaction/balance immediately.

I wonder why this is??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

Dammit, lost my card at the end of October and it was just replaced with another Laser. Couple of days later and I'd have got a Visa Debit.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

danthefan wrote: »
    Dammit, lost my card at the end of October and it was just replaced with another Laser. Couple of days later and I'd have got a Visa Debit.

Shur just lose it again ! :D

You know you can just ring up and get one that's what I done ! Tell them you need it for online shopping.

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭Alt_Grrr

I know but I got a laser card from them 2-3 weeks ago. which sucks datad 2016

If it was issued before November 1st, then its laser, but you will get a new one in the post soon enough as they move customers off maestro onto visa.

If you lost it or it was stolen then the replacement would be a visa debit card.

• Administrators Posts: 53,459 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Shyboy wrote: »
    I have had my new Visa Debit from AIB for the past few weeks and in general, it is great.

One small thing I have noticed is, if I withdraw cash from a non-AIB ATM, say Ulster or BOI, it takes a day or so for this to reflect in my account. My old laser card used to reflect the transaction/balance immediately.

I wonder why this is??
    Your available balance should update immediately, your balance and the details of the transaction will take a day or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Shyboy

awec wrote: »
    Your available balance should update immediately, your balance and the details of the transaction will take a day or so.

The strange thing is that with my old card any ATM transactions, whether with AIB or not, cleared immediately. :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭quinnd6

Apparently you could be waiting up to 11 months if you do nothing and just wait for them to send you out a card so I rang them up about it and ordered a new visa debit card.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Debs91

I just contacted my local branch and if I were to wait I would be receiving mine in Jan/Feb 2013.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

Got my new card this morning after calling to say it was lost last Friday evening :)

Just in time for Christmas shopping so happy days :)

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭neaideabh

Went into them at the start of the month and ordered a card! Got it and made 4 online purchases already!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,860 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

I rang them last Thursday I think. Got the PIN Monday and the Card Wednesday. Have it hooked up to paypal and google checkout already. Gonna head over to the Bargain Alerts forum to try save meself from going completely broke! Although pay day is tomorrow..... ;)

By the way, does anyone know of any shops in Dublin that use the wireless payment facility?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,103 ✭✭✭batistuta9

The_B_Man wrote: »
    By the way, does anyone know of any shops in Dublin that use the wireless payment facility?

this is really all i've heard about it here

http://siliconrepublic.com/business/item/29524-boots-to-accept-contactless

http://www.siliconrepublic.com/digital-life/item/28286-first-spar-eurospar-and-ma/

haven't a clue if anywhere else offer it yet

• Registered Users Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

Meh I don't get the contactless tbh, only takes 10 seconds to enter your pin, not like your going to miss the bus anyways!

My Visa Debit didn't come with Contactless for some reason, is it on a trial basis or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,103 ✭✭✭batistuta9

lee3155 wrote: »
    Meh I don't get the contactless tbh, only takes 10 seconds to enter your pin, not like your going to miss the bus anyways!

My Visa Debit didn't come with Contactless for some reason, is it on a trial basis or something?

yeah it takes 10 seconds to enter your PIN but that cúnt of a POS machine takes a lot longer to get verified, print your receipt and all :pac:

No idea how long the contactless will end up taking but if it's like using an oyster card in London it'll be good

Neither's did a friend of mine, people here said it's something to do with the type of account you have, a basicstudent account was 1 + if you had a black banklink card.

she's got a student account, don't what type though, but had a laser card :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

So I went into the bank on Monday and used the phone for their online banking whatever, clicked the button for card services. Said to the woman on the other end of the phone that I wanted to change my laser to a visa debit. No probs she said. Got my details posted the pin tue and the card thur. Card arrived today :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Success!! Ordered a new card today, will have it next week. Online shopping here I come :D Just asked for a Visa Debit, no problem.

Advertisement