Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AIB Visa Debit Card roll out thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭Karen23

Eathrin wrote: »
    The staff in AIB Belfield have been very dismissive of any requests for new cards telling me I had to wait any time I've called.

Got the same response today in Ballymun :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,564 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Tardis wrote: »
    To anyone who already has their visa debit, is the visa debit number the same as the laser number it replaced?

If you mean the card number, then No, laser/Maestro start with "6".

All forms of Visa start with "4"

If you mean the PIN, then no idea, but I doubt it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 sha the man

does anyone know what to do if you dont want a visa debit card. i dont want it ,yet i have been automatically issued with one and my present card (simple atm no laser or nothing on it) will be cancelled within three months. why cant they just leave me alone i dont want to pay 10 cent per transaction. i have no interest in online shopping or anything

• Site Banned Posts: 161 ✭✭John37

does anyone know what to do if you dont want a visa debit card. i dont want it ,yet i have been automatically issued with one and my present card (simple atm no laser or nothing on it) will be cancelled within three months. why cant they just leave me alone i dont want to pay 10 cent per transaction. i have no interest in online shopping or anything

The charges I was told where the same as the old laser card. Is this not tru folks?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,533 ✭✭✭✭28064212

John37 wrote: »
    The charges I was told where the same as the old laser card. Is this not tru folks?
    They are. If you have a Visa Debit and use it as an ATM-only card, you'll pay the same fees. The only exception is stamp duty, which is (I think) an extra €5 a year

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,916 ✭✭✭dubmick

Ordered mine today through card services. Out of interest does the card look any different?

We need set up a sticky of retailers that accept conactless payments.

dubmick wrote: »
    Ordered mine today through card services. Out of interest does the card look any different?

We need set up a sticky of retailers that accept conactless payments.

the card has the rfid logo on it in addition to the visa debit logo. the banks are f...ked and need to secure new revenure and rfid is it you will pay 15.00 a euro a year to the goverment eg 5 for the visa 5 for the atm and 5 for the rfid. each transaction is 10 cents on the rfid and there are charges on the visa debit. the bottom line is that ordinary atm customers simply dont make the banks enough money. there is no way that visa is involved unless it makes them money. they would not put their logo on the card unless they were getting something out of it. i judt think it will lead to me paying more money to access my money. in addition some enterpriseing little sh.t with a smartphone and an rfid reader built in could use his smartphone to pay for something online something to think about. can you imagine inside the lues at rish hour 20 or 30 people with rfid cards

• Registered Users Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

Sorry but what are contactless payments?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Cushie Butterfield

the card has the rfid logo on it in addition to the visa debit logo. the banks are f...ked and need to secure new revenure and rfid is it you will pay 15.00 a euro a year to the goverment eg 5 for the visa 5 for the atm and 5 for the rfid. each transaction is 10 cents on the rfid and there are charges on the visa debit.
    Has government stamp duty gone up? I haven't seen any notification of this anywhere. Govt stamp duty is €2.50 of the ATM card & €2.50 for the debit card, so the majority of users would be paying €5.00 per annum. Where did you get the figure of €10.00 for this, & the extra €5.00 for paywave?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,564 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Eathrin wrote: »
    Sorry but what are contactless payments?

This...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,916 ✭✭✭dubmick

No bank charges for contactless payments until Nov 2013

• Registered Users Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

Oh that's nice but not completely necessary.

the card has the rfid logo on it in addition to the visa debit logo. the banks are f...ked and need to secure new revenure and rfid is it you will pay 15.00 a euro a year to the goverment eg 5 for the visa 5 for the atm and 5 for the rfid. each transaction is 10 cents on the rfid and there are charges on the visa debit. the bottom line is that ordinary atm customers simply dont make the banks enough money. there is no way that visa is involved unless it makes them money. they would not put their logo on the card unless they were getting something out of it. i judt think it will lead to me paying more money to access my money. in addition some enterpriseing little sh.t with a smartphone and an rfid reader built in could use his smartphone to pay for something online something to think about. can you imagine inside the lues at rish hour 20 or 30 people with rfid cards
    That's total and utter nonsense. Firstly, the fees are exactly the same as for the Laser and/or ATM cards: 20c for Point of Sale Purchase, Contactless and Cash Withdrawal Transactions. In fact, Contactless is free until November 29 2013, so it's actually cheaper for the moment. Stamp Duty is €2.50 if you make an ATM withdrawal during the year, and €2.50 if you use it as a debit card during the year. If you use a Visa Debit card the same way you use your ATM-only card, it will cost you exactly the same in fees. Source

Secondly, the 20c doesn't go to Visa, it goes to AIB. Visa make their money off retailers.

Thirdly, no, it not possible for someone with "with a smartphone and an rfid reader built in" to pay for something online. That's just a fundamental failure to understand the methods involved

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

28064212 wrote: »
    That's total and utter nonsense. Firstly, the fees are exactly the same as for the Laser and/or ATM cards: 20c for Point of Sale Purchase, Contactless and Cash Withdrawal Transactions. In fact, Contactless is free until November 29 2013, so it's actually cheaper for the moment. Stamp Duty is €2.50 if you make an ATM withdrawal during the year, and €2.50 if you use it as a debit card during the year. If you use a Visa Debit card the same way you use your ATM-only card, it will cost you exactly the same in fees. Source

Secondly, the 20c doesn't go to Visa, it goes to AIB. Visa make their money off retailers.

Thirdly, no, it not possible for someone with "with a smartphone and an rfid reader built in" to pay for something online. That's just a fundamental failure to understand the methods involved

am actually i got the information with the booklets that came with the bank of ireland rfid/visa debit/atm card. the part about the little s...t is i agree inference in that bank of Ireland state that they will not be responsible for stolen funds until you report it. Bluetooth was great and still is for a lot of people however you phone can be messed with via it. i dont leave on wi fi when i am not using it for the same reason

am actually i got the information with the booklets that came with the bank of ireland rfid/visa debit/atm card. the part about the little s...t is i agree inference in that bank of Ireland state that they will not be responsible for stolen funds until you report it. Bluetooth was great and still is for a lot of people however you phone can be messed with via it. i dont leave on wi fi when i am not using it for the same reason
    Bank of Ireland fees. Again, exactly the same regardless of the type of card. Stamp duty is the same for all banks, so again, totally wrong.

And your lack of understanding of the systems involved does not make them insecure.

Bank of Ireland fees. Again, exactly the same regardless of the type of card. Stamp duty is the same for all banks, so again, totally wrong.

And your lack of understanding of the systems involved does not make them insecure.

look what are you looking for the booklet downloaded to boards.ie. it is not my job to convince you to mind you own money. if you want to give money to that banks that is your problem i've got better things to do personally i don't have any more money to give to the banks they have all my money already the tw.ts in the dail have given the banks our money and now are getting it out of us through higher taxes and charges including this compulsory new card. i will be closing my account with bank of Ireland because of this i simply came on here to see if there was a way to keep my current account and my present ordinary atm card minus the visa debit/rfid.

look what are you looking for the booklet downloaded to boards.ie.
    No, just some evidence to back up your demonstrably false claims.
    I simply came on here to see if there was a way to keep my current account and my present ordinary atm card minus the visa debit/rfid.
    If you use your visa debit card as an ordinary atm card, you will be charged the exact same fees

No, just some evidence to back up your demonstrably false claims.

If you use your visa debit card as an ordinary atm card, you will be charged the exact same fees

as i said i have better things to do then argue with keyboard worriers. if you have not got the information then fine it is no longer relevant i am closing the account anyway the new card becomes active as soon as you put it in the atm with all the features do you not get it I DONT HAVE ANY MORE MONEY TO GIVE TO THE GOVERNMENT OR ANY BANKING W..NKERS

as i said i have better things to do then argue with keyboard worriers. if you have not got the information then fine it is no longer relevant i am closing the account anyway the new card becomes active as soon as you put it in the atm with all the features do you not get it I DONT HAVE ANY MORE MONEY TO GIVE TO THE GOVERNMENT OR ANY BANKING W..NKERS
    What are you shouting at me for? You don't understand how the cards or the fees work, so you've decided that they're evil. I've provided you with the undeniable evidence that they have the exact same fees as any other card.

What are you shouting at me for? You don't understand how the cards or the fees work, so you've decided that they're evil. I've provided you with the undeniable evidence that they have the exact same fees as any other card.

i understand exactly how they work i read the booklet that came with it. i am unsubscribing to this thread for the third time i have better things to do then converse with keyboard worriers

• Advertisement

i understand exactly how they work i read the booklet that came with it. i am unsubscribing to this thread for the third time i have better things to do then converse with keyboard worriers
    You clearly don't. Perhaps you can post the text that you think claims things that are flatly contradicted by the banks' websites?

Oh, and I think you mean "keyboard warriors", which, again, means something totally different to what you appear to think it means

• Registered Users Posts: 8,119 ✭✭✭batistuta9

he mightn't know what he's talking about but contactless cards are actually insecure...

a german security researcher actually put up an app on the play store & github that can get the data off them not that long ago, it's since been removed & not on github anymore either but i'm sure the .apk is knocking around somewhere online

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭dotsman

When did this thread get moved to the Conspiracy Theories forum?

We have make-believe charges, imaginary taxes and hypothetical (but very unrealistic) fraud scenarios. What next - these cards were invented by aliens?

dotsman wrote: »
    When did this thread get moved to the Conspiracy Theories forum?

We have make-believe charges, imaginary taxes and hypothetical (but very unrealistic) fraud scenarios. What next - these cards were invented by aliens?

if that was about what i posted i suppose you one time thought that people stealing card info with skimmers at ATM's & through hyperlink's to fake websites, keyloggers, etc. online were hypothetical (but very unrealistic) fraud scenarios :pac::pac::pac:

welcome to the future kid

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭dotsman

batistuta9 wrote: »
    if that was about what i posted i suppose you one time thought that people stealing card info with skimmers at ATM's & through hyperlink's to fake websites, keyloggers, etc. online were hypothetical (but very unrealistic) fraud scenarios :pac::pac::pac:

welcome to the future kid

The technology itself is not flawed - the human processes may become flawed, but the technology is safe. Even if someone is able to develop a scanner that "steals" money from peoples accounts, simply by walking past them, the one thing you have to realise is that that money needs to go somewhere.

Contactless payments are just that - payments. They are a transfer of money from the customer's bank account in to the bank account of a business. All banks have to do to prevent such a fraud is to restrict contactless payments to only be made to registered business accounts. For example, a contactless payment made in Ireland could only go to a registered shop/bar/restaurant in Ireland, and not simply be transferred to a random bank account in some third world country.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

The technology itself is not flawed - the human processes may become flawed, but the technology is safe. Even if someone is able to develop a scanner that "steals" money from peoples accounts, simply by walking past them, the one thing you have to realise is that that money needs to go somewhere.

Contactless payments are just that - payments. They are a transfer of money from the customer's bank account in to the bank account of a business. All banks have to do to prevent such a fraud is to restrict contactless payments to only be made to registered business accounts. For example, a contactless payment made in Ireland could only go to a registered shop/bar/restaurant in Ireland, and not simply be transferred to a random bank account in some third world country.

Have a look at YouTube and look for info on RFID credit card skimming, it's scary the info you can get wirelessly from your card. I've personally tested this theory and using very cheap technology can get information from these cards just by being near the card.

Mythbusters wanted to do an episode on RFID hacking and it was quickly stopped by the powers that be within visa, MasterCard etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Graciefacey

Also just to clarify, your card will not be debited if you 'walk past' a card reader. The amount of fools who have asked me this question is laughable

no, it exactly the technology(RFID) that is flawed, it's not 100% secure or safe as you'd call it - the data is sent unencrypted.

and you don't understand what's going on either...

if someone skims one of these cards it's not the princely sum of up to €/£15 that they get transferred into their account that they've setup

it's the data on the card that's took not the amount their paying or infact they don't even need to be purchasing anything for the data to get read, the person skimming just need to be close enough to the card - although you actually need to be pretty close to it, it's possible

it takes the number, name, expiry date which then can be transferred onto blank cards or used to buy stuff online with

and no one needs to develop anything all they have to do is just use the same kind of readers that enables all the business/whatever to do contactless payments, the guy just developed a app for it to show that that data could be read from them & that this is possible with phones that have NFC - nearly all now

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Please take the bickering to PM, if you must do it at all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭ArthurG

Funny, I recall similar hysteria when chip & PIN first came out.

OH LORDY EVIL TERRORISTS WILL STEAL MAH MONEY AND BUY DRUGS TO GIVE TO KITTENS

Here's my solution (kitty does like it):

tin-foil-hat.jpg

Advertisement