Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AIB Visa Debit Card roll out thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

iv got mine already just waiting on the pin code but say if i had 100 euro in my a/c do these visa debit cards let me go into a higher over-draft or this that something you need to get put on your a/c?

cheers

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

No, they're not credit cards. You can only spend what you have in your account.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭ArthurG

OU812 wrote: »
    ^ Yes, laser has three more digits. You'll also get a new PIN

My PIN is the same as my old Laser card. Then again I didn't 'loose' or 'damage' the Laser card, it was replaced without my asking.

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭BroLo

If you request a new card they'll issue a new PIN. If you get it without asking as a part of the roll out you'll keep your PIN. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

Will the Visa Debit have the same ATM withdrawal limits in the US as Laser?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,041 ✭✭✭OU812

Replacement cards arrived. Nice looking.

If you've any direct debits on the laser, you'll have to set them up again.

• Administrators Posts: 53,567 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

OU812 wrote: »
    Replacement cards arrived. Nice looking.

If you've any direct debits on the laser, you'll have to set them up again.
    :confused:

Direct Debit works off Account number / sort code and is totally separate to your debit card.

Ordering a new card should not affect your direct debits at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭Karen23

awec wrote: »

Direct Debit works off Account number / sort code and is totally separate to your debit card.

I would have thought this was right and that the new card shouldn't affect any of your direct debits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭Random

awec wrote: »

some people give their laser info instead of bank info though and their laser gets billed each month. these people will need to updated their utility company etc with their new visa debit info

im not sure if its called direct debit as such but its the same general idea

its no big deal to change the info though once you know which companys bill your laser (which shouldnt be tough)

Random wrote: »
    some people give their laser info instead of bank info though and their laser gets billed each month. these people will need to updated their utility company etc with their new visa debit info

im not sure if its called direct debit as such but its the same general idea

its no big deal to change the info though once you know which companys bill your laser (which shouldnt be tough)
    That's not direct debit as you say. :)

Continuous payment authorisation/recurring payments that is. And they shouldn't really be used as you are not covered by a bank guarantee scheme (if there's a problem the bank won't pay out like they do with direct debit). Companies can just take money as and when they need it (even if you cancel the card they can still get money from you). You have the least amount of protection here as a consumer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭supernova84

Can the new aib debit card be used in iTunes? I tried it there and it's saying payment method declined. The bank said iTunes accept this new card. Anyone try using it with iTunes yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭neddynasty

My laser card expired at the end of October just gone and they sent me out a new laser card. Thought they'd be sending a Visa Debit.

Can the new aib debit card be used in iTunes? I tried it there and it's saying payment method declined. The bank said iTunes accept this new card. Anyone try using it with iTunes yet?
    It should work anywhere that accepts Visa.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭segaBOY

neddynasty wrote: »
    My laser card expired at the end of October just gone and they sent me out a new laser card. Thought they'd be sending a Visa Debit.

Must have been issued just before 01 Nov. You may request a Visa Debit with the steps outlined in previous posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭aimerlans

will everyone with a current a/c be receiving one of these new cards?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Cushie Butterfield

Yes, I have used it. After I added it to my account details a payment of €1.98 was pending on my current account. This was a pre-authorisation by iTunes which disappeared from pending amounts after a couple of days & available funds went back up by that amount.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭Nolimits

aimerlans wrote: »
    will everyone with a current a/c be receiving one of these new cards?

You will in time, I lost my card and when I rang up yesterday I was told I'd be getting a Visa debit.

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Shyboy

Yes, received my new card yesterday and used it with Itunes, no problems.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

Totally ringing card services on Monday.

Also people mentioned the Card Reader on here. I ordered one months ago online when the notice first popped up about them. It never turned up. When I try to order now it says I can 'if I pay' as it is a second one, even though I never received the first one. Would it be card services I get onto about this also?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,122 ✭✭✭batistuta9

what's the card reader used for again?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭dotsman

hdowney wrote: »
    Totally ringing card services on Monday.

Also people mentioned the Card Reader on here. I ordered one months ago online when the notice first popped up about them. It never turned up. When I try to order now it says I can 'if I pay' as it is a second one, even though I never received the first one. Would it be card services I get onto about this also?

When you ring them up, make sure they have the correct address for you. By far, the number one reason for people not getting statements, replacement cards, or a card reader etc is that the customer hasn't given the bank their latest address.

I've been living at my current address for 5 years and still receive statements for past occupants.
    batistuta9 wrote: »
    what's the card reader used for again?

The card reader is used for the "risky" aspects of internet banking such as setting up payees etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

dotsman wrote: »
    When you ring them up, make sure they have the correct address for you. By far, the number one reason for people not getting statements, replacement cards, or a card reader etc is that the customer hasn't given the bank their latest address.

I've been living at my current address for 5 years and still receive statements for past occupants.

The card reader is used for the "risky" aspects of internet banking such as setting up payees etc.

I have lived here 12 years! I know they have my correct address in that a, all correspondance they send me comes here and b, (and possibly more importantly) I lived here when I opened the bank account, so they have never had any other address for me.

However I wouldn't put it past them to have put something down wrong or the like, so I will clarify everything with them when I ring up. cheers

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Would it be card services I get onto about this also?

No, telephone banking :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,860 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

A friend of mine told me AIB were issuing debit cards over the next weeks but hadn't heard anything since. Is it just me or is it not being advertised much?

Quick question, if I have a student account, do I still get charged all the transaction fees for the debit card?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,835 ✭✭✭✭cormie

My new visa debit cards are on the way. I asked the cashier and he said they won't be out til January and maybe I could get one earlier but would have to speak to my account manager, was with someone in the bank who needed to speak to customer service so I quickly asked them about it and was directed to the phone on the wall in the bank where you just press 1 and speak to somebody, tell them you want to replace your cards and that's that, cards on their way. No need to tell them porkies, I just said I want to replace it and said no when he asked was it damaged etc.

quick question:
    If my card is registered to a few online retailers and other monthly chargers, I guess my next payments won't go through without me changing the card details (expiry date/card type)?

anything else to be aware of upon switching I wonder?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,842 ✭✭✭✭Basq

cormie wrote: »
    quick question:
    If my card is registered to a few online retailers and other monthly chargers, I guess my next payments won't go through without me changing the card details (expiry date/card type)?

anything else to be aware of upon switching I wonder?
    They'll need to change since they'll definitely have new expiry dates anyways..

.. was told this on phone by AIB Card Services last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭Alt_Grrr

Basq wrote: »
    They'll need to change since they'll definitely have new expiry dates anyways..

.. was told this on phone by AIB Card Services last week.

I got my visa debit card about a week ago, the numbers are different (as I understand the first few digits code for card type) and of course the expiry dates are different.

I was told everything would be exactly the same, number, pin and everything but I think each different type of card has a different 4 digits at the start, backed up by what you're saying, so the staff must be a bit unsure at the moment. Going to have to change the account details anyway with the expiry date anyway.

Pin can be made the same by going to ATM but comes with a different one.

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭Alt_Grrr

cormie wrote: »
    I was told everything would be exactly the same, number, pin and everything but I think each different type of card has a different 4 digits at the start, backed up by what you're saying, so the staff must be a bit unsure at the moment. Going to have to change the account details anyway with the expiry date anyway.

Pin can be made the same by going to ATM but comes with a different one.

The card number stays the same (the 7 digits in the bottom row), but the laser number (the 19 digits across the middle) is replaced by a visa number (16 digits) and they don't seem to match up. Also the CVV2 number on the back is different.

the pin remains the same.

Its not that big a problem, the laser card is still active until the middle of January next year (they will expire early according to the letter), so you have plenty of time to update details.

• Advertisement

Thanks for that. I was told the lazer will self destruct within 14 days of ordering the "replacement" card but it won't be an issue anyway, I'll just update the card details where necessary. Thanks for the help!

Advertisement