Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Movie Fest - New Cinema Event for Dublin

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,000 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

e_e wrote: »
    Hoping to see Looper, V/H/S, Killing Them Softly and (at a longer shot) The Master at it.

While I'd like to see films along those lines, I'm not optimistic given the largely dire selection from last year (with Drive the only great film shown, and that was a surprise film!). Let's hope they have some good stuff, but I'm quite wary about picking up tickets before seeing a line-up announcement!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,667 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I'll be giving this a miss again. I'd have to book work off now in order to be free that weekend and I'm not doing that if I don't know what's showing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 tonyg7

Killing Them Softly looks a good bet, as does The Campaign. Maybe Savages, The Sweeney or Premium Rush....????????:

As for knowing the line up I'd sooner go thinking that its THREE surprize films and that i'm getting THREE premieres... :-)

• Just ordered my tickets. :D
    They are for sale on the Cineworld website now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

It's not a good sign that they'd start selling tickets without giving some sort of line up. Gives the impression that they're not so confident in what's being shown, though I hope I'm wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭Skinfull

tonyg7 wrote: »
    Killing Them Softly looks a good bet, as does The Campaign. Maybe Savages, The Sweeney or Premium Rush....????????:

As for knowing the line up I'd sooner go thinking that its THREE surprize films and that i'm getting THREE premieres... :-)

The Sweeny? That's been out already hasn't it?

The problem is that any of the movies I'd like to see in the line up are all out fairly soon after the fest and none of them are MUST SEE movies. Its gonna have to be something special to entice me.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,650 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

I reckon they will realise pretty soon that the whole teaser thing is not going to be enough to sell tickets.

They are going to end up having to spill a lot more information faster than they originally planned.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,000 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The comic-con stuff alone is hardly worthy of twenty five euro per day. I don't like trailers at the best of times, but over-extended previews of bad to mediocre films and a load of trailers? Nein danke!

Put up the films or shut up, MovieFest :pac: If they want to have a 'festival' of note they need to recongise it's the films people go for, not the event itself. Hope it doesn't sell out until they make some proper announcements, would set a bad precedent.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,744 ✭✭✭✭Basq

They said on their news section yesterday that "We’ll reveal the first movie showing at the fest tomorrow!"

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

The comic-con stuff alone is hardly worthy of twenty five euro per day. I don't like trailers at the best of times, but over-extended previews of bad to mediocre films and a load of trailers? Nein danke!

Put up the films or shut up, MovieFest :pac: If they want to have a 'festival' of note they need to recongise it's the films people go for, not the event itself. Hope it doesn't sell out until they make some proper announcements, would set a bad precedent.

I couldn't justify buying tickets for something where i had no idea what I was going to see, you dont arrive at the cinema and let them give you a random ticket for something :pac:

• Advertisement

• First film announced:
    Today we're able to reveal our first movie preview... PREMIUM RUSH.

PREMIUM RUSH will get its first Irish screening at Movie Fest, Joseph Gordon Levitt stars in this sharp, edgy thriller about a New York City bicycle courier who gets mixed up in a dodgy deal, resulting in some impressive bike chases across Manhattan. The movie is directed by David Koepp and co-stars Jamie Chung and Michael Shannon.

It's not Looper but it doesn't look bad tbh..

.. it's out this weekend in the US so you'll be able to judge reactions shortly.

EDIT: RottenTomatoes.com has 7 reviews so far - all positive.

JGL AND Michael Shannon? OK I'm sold.

• More information from twitter:
    We're delighted to announce that PARANORMAN will open this years Movie Fest on Saturday September 8th, with special guest writer/director Chris Butler in attendance.

PARANORMAN is a comedy horror animation from the makers of Coraline. It's currently the highest rated movie showing at the American box-office, boasting a score of 88% on critic aggregator site Rottentomatoes.com
    The film tells of the tale of Norman, a misunderstood boy, who takes on ghosts, zombies and grown-ups to save his town from a centuries-old curse. It features the vocal talents of Kodi Smit-McPhee, Anna Kendrick, Jeff Garlin, Casey Affleck, John Goodman and Christopher Mintz-Plasse

Looks like another winner tbh..

.. 88% on RottenTomatoes.

• The line-up is looking great so far. Having a director/writer in attendance will be cool. Can't wait!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 tonyg7

Is Premium Rush on Saturday or Sunday? I got my tickets for sunday without knowing what flicks is on then...

• Basq wrote: »
    It's not Looper but it doesn't look bad tbh..

Acorrding to RTE:
    Organisers have told RTÉ TEN that the eagerly-awaited Joseph Gordon-Levitt and Bruce Willis-starring time travel adventure Looper will be shown in a special preview at Movie Fest, which takes place at Cineworld, Dublin on Saturday 8 and Sunday 9 September.

You can watch the trailer for Looper by clicking the link on your left.

Also screening at Movie Fest this year will be the thriller Premium Rush and the new animated movie ParaNorman, with its director, Chris Butler, a special guest on Saturday September 8.

Over the two days there will also be mystery screenings, exclusive trailers and footage from Comic-Con and clips from the likes of Iron Man 3, The Hobbit, Seven Psychopaths, Twilight - Breaking Dawn Part 2 and many more.

The full Movie Fest line-up will be announced in the coming days.

Another great Film :)

Jaysus... they love ol' Joseph Gordon over there at MovieFest.

Jaysus... they love ol' Joseph Gordon over there at MovieFest.

They must have read your post. Maybe you should mention another film and see what happens.

• Advertisement

Tickets booked!

They must have read your post. Maybe you should mention another film and see what happens.
    Since I'm not going...

.. I hope everyone enjoys Twilight - Breaking Dawn Part 2.

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭OU812

That Premium Rush looks great, no effects (much), just a great thriller.

There's an Oscar in that JGL's future...

Since I'm not going...

.. I hope everyone enjoys Twilight - Breaking Dawn Part 2.

:pac:
    :eek::mad::eek::mad::eek:

Why couldn't you have said something good and far from release. Would it have killed you to say "The Hobbit"

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

Only one more film to be announced then! I'm predicting something less serious as the last film.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 jack_edson

All looks pretty positive so far. Hoping Looper/Premium Rush are both on the Sunday as I can't go Saturday. Was anyone there last year? Was it good (as an event that is, as opposed to the movies themselves)?

EDIT: Double post

I was there last year and I really enjoyed it. Thought that it was well worth the money

I'd laugh if they threw in a painfully slow arthouse movie to shake it up.

The Turin Horse Part 2, perhaps.

• Advertisement

They've definitely improved the lineup this year, fair play to them.

If only it wasn't on the one weekend of the year i am completely unavailable.

Advertisement