Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Movie Fest - New Cinema Event for Dublin

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭Skinfull

Not overly impressed with this selection. Nothing that wont be out on general release within a couple of weeks of the fest anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

Isn't that the point though? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

Skinfull wrote: »
    Not overly impressed with this selection. Nothing that wont be out on general release within a couple of weeks of the fest anyway.

Last year was the same. What you have to remember though is that you are getting 3 films pre-release for €25 a day, plus there will be loads of preview footage and some free goody bags!

Sad I will miss it this year, loved it last year! Some of the films weren't great but it was a really fun weekend and I loved all the previews.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭Skinfull

Last year was the same. What you have to remember though is that you are getting 3 films pre-release for €25 a day, plus there will be loads of preview footage and some free goody bags!

Sad I will miss it this year, loved it last year! Some of the films weren't great but it was a really fun weekend and I loved all the previews.

If it was pre-release by quite some time then I may be tempted, but when I can see them in a couple of weeks, for free with an unlimited card the draw is lessened considerably.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭OU812

A couple of years ago there used to be an event called "Cinema Days" for the industry (reviewers & exhibitors). Three to four days, starts at ten AM & four movies a day.

Lunch & dinner would be included - all paid for by the distributors.

The movies would range from a couple of weeks to a couple of months - IIRC we saw The Matrix four months prior to release for example.

There'd also be all sorts of goodie bags with merchandise (toys, books, soundtracks t-shirts etc). They'd also have video linkups so that the reviewers could question the stars & directors afterwards.

It used to be a great event until the distributors decided they were all going to be secretive about their product coming up, which is dumb in a country this size as they all know each other.

It started in 1997 & went on for about five years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44,855 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

OU812 wrote: »
    A couple of years ago there used to be an event called "Cinema Days" for the industry (reviewers & exhibitors). Three to four days, starts at ten AM & four movies a day.

Lunch & dinner would be included - all paid for by the distributors.

The movies would range from a couple of weeks to a couple of months - IIRC we saw The Matrix four months prior to release for example.

There'd also be all sorts of goodie bags with merchandise (toys, books, soundtracks t-shirts etc). They'd also have video linkups so that the reviewers could question the stars & directors afterwards.

It used to be a great event until the distributors decided they were all going to be secretive about their product coming up, which is dumb in a country this size as they all know each other.

It started in 1997 & went on for about five years.
    It still goes on - just not in Ireland - the have them in Holland and Vegas, possibly Barcelona too. I know a few of the irish cinema people head over to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭AllWasWell

Just booked my tickets there..very excited! Anyone know when they'll be announcing the next film?

Skinfull wrote: »
    If it was pre-release by quite some time then I may be tempted, but when I can see them in a couple of weeks, for free with an unlimited card the draw is lessened considerably.
    It's great value if you're not on the unlimited card though, the usual 33 euro for 3 tickets is ridiculous and at least there'll be a tonne of extra things going (and none of the overbearing 20 minutes of cineworld adverts) and actual ushers attending the screening for once.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,002 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

e_e wrote: »
    (and none of the overbearing 20 minutes of cineworld adverts)

No, in this case its hours of previews and trailers. :p

Movie stuff > J Lo and trying so hard to be funny McDonalds ads though :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,002 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Movie stuff > J Lo and trying so hard to be funny McDonalds ads though :pac:

Oh, last years extended Footloose preview was pretty painful :(

I'll bring earplugs and a blindfold in case such an event should happen. ;)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,623 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

I'll bring earplugs and a blindfold in case such an event should happen. ;)

It will happen it's called Twilight Preview :P

• Registered Users Posts: 47 jack_edson

Are there still going to be surprise movies each day?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,623 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

jack_edson wrote: »
    Are there still going to be surprise movies each day?

I'd say so, they've only announced 3 out of a possible 6 movies, so they'll prob announce one more and leave the other 2 as surprises.

If they show The Master as the surprise screening il be so fricken happy! Cannot wait to see it..
    Also hoping to see The Perks of Being a Wallflower at it

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭WatchWolf

I wouldn't get your hopes up for The Master.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭irishash

Well fright fest has just ended in the uk, and last year we had Final Destination 5, so I am going to guess one of the surprise movies is going to horror/scary. Hopefully something like v/h/s. Last year was good craic, and as mentioned before, it is great to have a film savy crowd to watch with. Although I must admit I was a bit jaded by the time the last movie came along (did not help it was terrible!!). As for the master being one of the movie, I would think not. Running time and subject matter do not fit with the tempo of the days. Bear in mind that fright night and final destination 5, while not high art, were enjoyed by all.

Right, I'm gonna call it that if there is a surprise film it'll be Killing Them Softly.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 tonyg7

Whats the 4th movie? I presume it'll be 2 surprize movies again so why not get the schedule out NOW...??? Theres only 10 days to go now so it would be nice to know really...

• Advertisement

tonyg7 wrote: »
    Whats the 4th movie? I presume it'll be 2 surprize movies again so why not get the schedule out NOW...??? Theres only 10 days to go now so it would be nice to know really...

I would guess that the reason for the delay on identity of the 4th would be down to the fact that maybe they are trying to get a big name release from a studio and are waiting for confirmation. I know from experience (from working on a small film festival once) that you usually ask for the hardest to get film first, and then enter in to a haggle.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭WatchWolf

It has been confirmed that another special guest is set to appear. Movies.ie will be revealing it "very soon".

Its Clint Eastwood, isn't it???????

Would you not think that Looper was tough to get considering its not out in the US til the 28th?? That movie alone was a great one to get. If they get something even better I'll buy next years ticket tomorrow...

tonyg7 wrote: »
    Its Clint Eastwood, isn't it???????
    Clint Eastwood & Tom Waits will engage in a blindfolded chess match while answering questions from the audience.

I have a funny feeling that "The Campaign" may be a good bet for one of the remaining films to be announced. No comedy on the slate yet, and last year there was at least one comedy.

• The 4th movie has been announced: http://www.clickonline.com/movies/movie-fest-titles-revealed!/13031/

It is "Stitches"
    Stitches tells the story of a child’s entertainer who dies at a kids party and comes back many years later to take revenge on his now teenaged victims. Comedian Ross Noble stars as the chilling clown, who uses his performance skills to pick off teens in inventive ways. The film comes from Irish director Conor McMahon and recently went down a treat at the Film4 Fright Fest in London

Irish Director so maybe he'll be in attendance.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,493 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Can't imagine Ross Noble being too great an actor

They've a great mix of films so far, really looking forward to it, especially the mystery screenings!

• Advertisement

So I'm right in assuming that there'll be one mystery film per day?

Advertisement