Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Movie Fest - New Cinema Event for Dublin

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

I thought Final Destination 5 was utter muck. There was a bit of a groan from people when they realised what it was. I just can't think of any positive aspect to it at all.

But Cowboys & Aliens made up for it. It wasn't the greatest film in the world, but it was good fun. The intro with Jon Favreau was kind of funny because he seemed to be waffling, then realised he was waffling and tried to end the intro, but then just carried on waffling.

I missed some of the preview stuff. I think there was no Tintin preview because of a fault with the clip. Is that right? I remember the guy saying something about it, but obviously I wasn't paying enough attention. :D

And Puss In Boots looks brilliant. I was expecting something really weak after the last few Shrek films, but they really went to town (at least in the 13 odd minutes they showed). It was hilarious.

The whole event was brilliantly put together. There were a few hiccups, but there always will be for anything like this. And for a first time try at it, it came together really well. Well done to all involved. I'll definitely be going to it next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭WatchWolf

I thought 30 Minutes Or Less was great! Unlike the "Final Destination 5" (ugh, what junk). The Amazing Spider-man footage was awesome. Cowboys and Aliens was alright.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,000 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I say Final Destination was a highlight comparatively. It was garbage - especially when they focus on plot, which is often - but hey at least the gymnast scene was amusing.

Couldn't have cared less for Cowboys and Aliens. Really, really bland film. The Western setting felt half-hearted at best. All the performers were on auto-pilot. Maybe it was apathy after a long day of films, but I honestly was bored stupid as it went into its predictably action-heavy finale. Massive disappointment.

That said, I was pleasantly surprised by Puss In Boots stuff. Genuinely well-made - reminded me of Kung Fun Panda. It seems like a very deliberate attempt to distance itself from the Shrek style, which is only to be encouraged.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

Ah final destination did exactly what it was meant to do. It's just gore humour. Nothing more, nothing less. I did actually like the way it all ended though. Sort of clever (something I never thought I'd say for that set of movies!).

And the groan was expected. Everyone had predicted it though! It was more a groan of I knew it but wish I hadn't :D

Thought Cowboys and Aliens was great and 30 minutes was good. The easily amused boyfriend was more impressed than I was though!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭livEwirE

Just curious did anyone turn up At the fest dressed up as comic book characters? where there any hardcore geeks dressed as princess Leia or stormtroopers?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36 anonjoe555

over all it was more than worth the 45 quid i fored over,
    highlight for me was probably drive, that soundtrack was frucking amazing,
    cowboys and aliens was ok, definitly better than that piece of sh1t comic it was based on,
    the new spiderman looks better than i was expecting, i still think peter parker was mis-casted though.

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭EDDIE WATERS

so what happens to the mib t shirts

As already said:
    MovieFest wrote: »
    No MIB stuff arrived in time unfortunately. Apologies if you're a big MIB fan :(

Did get the spiderman Tshirts though

• Registered Users Posts: 36 anonjoe555

yea, was wondering that myself, said something about it on the website

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭EDDIE WATERS

I know that but they should give them out if they arrive and to this just show them your wristband and get the mib shirts and now all mention of mib is gone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

I thought this was a great even. Very well run and very well timed. Just sad I didn't win any raffle prizes :P

The mystery film Drive was the highlight of my weekend. I hadn't heard anything about it and was so pleasantly surprised. Character development was brilliant, Ryan Gosling gave a great performance. I didn't think it was slow paced at all, loved the way the love connection developed. They didn't speak much but you could just see the tension in the looks they gave each other!

I enjoyed Final Destination 5. I am very easy to please with films. Rubbish plot but the death scenes were awesome and funny, was better than I expected.

The Change Up was really good too! Again, terrible plot but the jokes were really funny and had me laughing!

Fright Night was my second favourite after Drive. Scary, funny, thrilling. Really refreshing horror movie since they can go bad so often. Would see it again!

Cowboys and Aliens was just what I expected, huge action scenes! I really had a good time watching it.

Think ye can tell I am easy to please :P I thought 30 Minutes or Less was funny too. No way a A list film or anything but I got a few laughs out of it, an easy watch on a Sunday morning.

Loved loads of the preview footage too! Puss in Boots and Amazing Spiderman footage was my favourite, so glad to have seen it :D

Hope they do the even again :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,389 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

I only went on the Sunday but I really enjoyed it and hope it goes ahead again next year.

30 minutes or less I felt was really enjoyable. As has already been said it had all been seen before and some of the jokes missed the mark but it provided a good few laughs and was a good way to kick off the day.

I wasn't looking forward the Final Destination but have to admit I was pleasently surprised. It knows what audience it's aiming for and pretty much takes the p*ss out of itself. Good for what it is.

Cowboys and Aliens I felt was ok. I was enjoying it purely as a Western before the aliens show up, from then on I don't think the genres merge as well as they expected.

The footage was enjoyable but I am one of those people who enjoys seeing the trailers before a film. Puss in boots was probably the highlight but I am still unsure about Spider-man.

Overall it was really enjoyable as I said and would like to see it grow next year. The idea of holding it in the Convention centre next year would be a logistical nightmare I'd guess but I think adding a few merchandise stalls, running it throughout the day and providing choices for what people can go see would be good improvements.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,856 ✭✭✭✭event

Sorry for the bump, but does anyone know if this is happening this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,744 ✭✭✭✭Basq

So sad I'm not in the country for this, I really enjoyed it last year! I totally recommend it, was reasonably priced last year I thought too, for what you got!

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Drum.lad

Ya it was great...the benefit of watching movies with a well behaved appreciative crowd was worth the price of admission.

Drum.lad wrote: »
    Ya it was great...the benefit of watching movies with a well behaved appreciative crowd was worth the price of admission.

For sure! There was some dope next to me texting during a film, staff came right up and told her to switch it off! Great service :D And I got those cool Harry Potter 3D glasses :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,000 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Shame all the films except Drive ranged from mediocre to downright awful (except maybe Fright Night, which I haven't seen yet) :pac: Sunday, while relatively enjoyable, suffered greatly from a piss-poor selection of films.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,744 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Thought 'Fright Night' was quite under-rated myself..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭allanb49

i thought drive was dull and over rated, fright night was a solid popcorn movie

• Advertisement

For sure! There was some dope next to me texting during a film, staff came right up and told her to switch it off! Great service :D And I got those cool Harry Potter 3D glasses :pac:

I even got a harry potter snitch clock! So awesome! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

I wasn't around for the last one. how many movies do you get to see and what was the admission?

I even got a harry potter snitch clock! So awesome! :D

Curse you! I was dying to win that!

Each day was 3 movies and tonnes of previews for €22.50 if I remember right. You get some free crap too.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,623 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

This looks AMAZING!!! I can't wait for the 2012 one! Def going and can't believe I'm only learning about this now! €22.50 per day is excellent value!! :)

People wanna start guessing what movies we will get??

• Registered Users Posts: 15,856 ✭✭✭✭event

wish they'd announce when though, ill probably need to book time off work for it

Judge Dredd i'll say could be there

allanb49 wrote: »
    Judge Dredd i'll say could be there

Ya makes sense...Total Recall is out on the 29th and they did have a preview of it last year,sounds like a safe bet.

Start of August,

The Del Torro one might be shown too, can't think of the name

• Advertisement

allanb49 wrote: »
    Start of August,

The Del Torro one might be shown too, can't think of the name

Pacific Rim? That isn't out until July 2013.

Advertisement