Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car hit, other driver drove off

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

cats.life wrote: »
    i,ll do the gardai, its only a small part cos she was never there to answer him when op called :D

Sorry, Gard has been recast as Brendan Gleeson. In drag.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

Sorry i was on holiday' i had to catch up, any sign of some pictures of car

Sorry i was on holiday' i had to catch up, any sign of some pictures of car

A few pages back:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=79456901&postcount=550

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Merch

been following the thread all along, read most of it, I may have posted? (its been so long I cant recall)
    I was kinda waiting for the pictures, when I saw the damage it reminded me of what some wanker did to my car nearly 5 years back when it was parked up (I ended up paying the excess and having to go through my insurer) I'm nearly free of it now.

That damage is bad, the scratches are more like gouges. Even if its not there can be damage not apparent initially that costs to repair.
    Nothing has occurred lately and fingers crossed it will stay that way, but I had two people reverse/roll back into me also and a further two people reverse at me without hitting me (all just oblivious they had done anything wrong) 4/5 were in a car park.

Good that you got her, I didnt and paid for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

Oh i missed that post' good work, cheers:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

well I'll be a monkeys uncle.

The cheque for my excess arrived in the post today from the MIBI.

I filled in an online form about three weeks ago, took me about ten minutes, got a confirmation mail from them, and got the cheque today. Hows that for service??!?

To the guy that kept saying "give up man, you'll get nowhere" - WHERE IS YOUR GOD NOW??

anyway - very impressed, and that seems to be that. I'm not sure if the fact that the MIBI have paid means yer wan has admitted it, or if they've seen the CCTV or what. If I hear anything back, as always, I'll let ye know.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

tbh wrote: »
    well I'll be a monkeys uncle.

The cheque for my excess arrived in the post today from the MIBI.

I filled in an online form about three weeks ago, took me about ten minutes, got a confirmation mail from them, and got the cheque today. Hows that for service??!?

To the guy that kept saying "give up man, you'll get nowhere" - WHERE IS YOUR GOD NOW??

anyway - very impressed, and that seems to be that. I'm not sure if the fact that the MIBI have paid means yer wan has admitted it, or if they've seen the CCTV or what. If I hear anything back, as always, I'll let ye know.

BUT BUT BUT we want to attend the court case when this witch is prosecuted. We need to see her face the music and squirm. I also have to see her to determine which Boards actress plays her in the film.

BUT BUT BUT we want to attend the court case when this witch is prosecuted. We need to see her face the music and squirm. I also have to see her to determine which Boards actress plays her in the film.

If I hear anything back about that, I'll let ye know, but I doubt I will. The claims handler just let me know that it's all done and dusted on their side, the claim has been closed and the other driver has been sent the bill.

If I hear anything back about that, I'll let ye know, but I doubt I will. The claims handler just let me know that it's all done and dusted on their side, the claim has been closed and the other driver has been sent the bill.

Any bets she will blame you for persecuting her over a "that tiny scratch" for the rest of her miserable life?
    Some people have no concept of other people and no capacity to learn.
    Punishing them is like throwing tissues at a granite wall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

Is she not getting done for driving without insurance? pooh to that

• Advertisement

Is she not getting done for driving without insurance? pooh to that

I'm guessing she is, I just meant the cops won't be letting me know. I'm guessing she is because the MIBI would have contacted the guard to establish if a: she was uninsured and b: if she did it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

I'm guessing she is, I just meant the cops won't be letting me know. I'm guessing she is because the MIBI would have contacted the guard to establish if a: she was uninsured and b: if she did it.

But but... You must find out! How are we otherwise going to get to go to court and cheer as she gets punished??

But but... You must find out! How are we otherwise going to get to go to court and cheer as she gets punished??

I know :(

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭plys

Any bets she will blame you for persecuting her over a "that tiny scratch" for the rest of her miserable life?
    Some people have no concept of other people and no capacity to learn.
    Punishing them is like throwing tissues at a granite wall.

:pac::pac:

OP, I'm delighted for you.

This country is full of muppets who think the law does not apply to them. Hearing about one such individual getting their come-uppance, and hearing first-hand how the victim gets vindicated has gone some way to restoring my faith in our beautiful country.

Also, thank you for keeping us up to date so diligently on your saga! Can I have a cameo role as the CCTV operator??!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

Not trying to worry you TBH, but if the insurance company does not recieve payment from this woman (after sending her a bill) then surely you will lose your no-claims as you will have made a claim on your own insurance which was not recouped.
    You say that the MIBI have paid you for the excess, surely they should be paying your insurance company for the balance of the cost of repair.
    Just wondering, that's all.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

mgbgt1978 wrote: »
    Not trying to worry you TBH, but if the insurance company does not recieve payment from this woman (after sending her a bill) then surely you will lose your no-claims as you will have made a claim on your own insurance which was not recouped.
    You say that the MIBI have paid you for the excess, surely they should be paying your insurance company for the balance of the cost of repair.

No MIBI would have covered that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

Afaik the Insurance company would get paid from the MIBI and the OP will get his excess back from MIBI. Now in turn the woman will be chased for payment to MIBI. The guards will also deal with her for driving without insurance and failure to produce etc.

The OP will hear nothing more about any of this now that his car is fixed and he has his money back. Perhaps he should ring his insurance company to ensure his NCB is intact but I believe it will be.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,671 ✭✭✭brian_t

I think that the only way you will find out if you keep asking the original garda on a regular basis.

Boardies should also bare in mind that some District Courts are small buildings with hardly enough room for all the solicitors and witnesses never mind the public. Even if you do get in it can be very hard to follow what's going on.

Do bear in mingd that cases also get deferred several times due to incomplete or missing paperwork or people involved (even Garda) not turning up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

brian_t wrote: »
    I think that the only way you will find out if you keep asking the original garda on a regular basis.

Boardies should also bare in mind that some District Courts are small buildings with hardly enough room for all the solicitors and witnesses never mind the public. Even if you do get in it can be very hard to follow what's going on.

Do bear in mingd that cases also get deferred several times due to incomplete or missing paperwork or people involved (even Garda) not turning up.

Does it matter now, the op has got his car repaired and he is happy out.
    It's up to the gardai to do what ever they want with the other driver.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

hondasam wrote: »
    Does it matter now, the op has got his car repaired and he is happy out.
    It's up to the gardai to do what ever they want with the other driver.

Sam, I have you down to play the Garda in our film. I think you would suit the part.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

Sam, I have you down to play the Garda in our film. I think you would suit the part.

I would look good in a uniform tayto, you want to be my deputy?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

Yawns wrote: »
    Afaik the Insurance company would get paid from the MIBI and the OP will get his excess back from MIBI. Now in turn the woman will be chased for payment to MIBI. The guards will also deal with her for driving without insurance and failure to produce etc.

The OP will hear nothing more about any of this now that his car is fixed and he has his money back. Perhaps he should ring his insurance company to ensure his NCB is intact but I believe it will be.

That's what I thought Yawns. But tbh has said that the other driver has been sent the bill....maybe that is just a formality and then the insurer claims from the MIBI when the other driver doesn't pay up.

That's what I thought Yawns. But tbh has said that the other driver has been sent the bill....maybe that is just a formality and then the insurer claims from the MIBI when the other driver doesn't pay up.

I believe that would be the case of the woman getting the bill so she could pay them. If she refuses to pay then a civil case will be taken against her to recoup the money. I think the insurance company has already been paid and the MIBI are now in charge of issuing her an invoice.

The guards will deal with the no insurance and not producing documents in a different matter as they are offences and she will have to be summoned to court for them. She will have a chance to pay the repair bill out of her own pocket first. If she does so she won't need to be taken to court. Even if she decides to refuse to pay, it could be a while before it finally gets to court.

With a bit of luck her current insurance company has pulled the policy due to not disclosing facts relating to the risk assessment. Mainly the period of driving with no insurance, the fact that she hit a car and then hours later took a policy out. If they do cancel her insurance, she will have to declare it to future insurance companies that a company cancelled and the reason why. Fun times ahead for her anyway.

yeah - it doesnt work the way i had assumed it would, so heres what I know:

the insurance company, not the MIBI, are trying to recover the money from the other driver. The clains adjuster said they try to aak her to pay, if she doesnt they take her to court and usually what happens is that they get a judgement but the driver never pays. I would have thought that the insurance company would have had to have seen the evidence themselves before paying but maybe they have enough if they need to go to court.

second, MIBI have refunded my excess, not the insurance company. So I assume the MIBI have been in contact with the guard and shes told them shes happy the other driver isnt insured and is responsible.

and finally, the insurance company have told me the claim is closed and theres no comeback on me, whatever happens. The repairs were actually approved a while ago but I held off until they confirmed there was no possibility I'd have to pay. I dont lose my NCB, in fact, not only am i not out of pocket, but in fact the car is in better nick than before she hit it

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

yeah - it doesnt work the way i had assumed it would, so heres what I know:

the insurance company, not the MIBI, are trying to recover the money from the other driver. The clains adjuster said they try to aak her to pay, if she doesnt they take her to court and usually what happens is that they get a judgement but the driver never pays. I would have thought that the insurance company would have had to have seen the evidence themselves before paying but maybe they have enough if they need to go to court.

second, MIBI have refunded my excess, not the insurance company. So I assume the MIBI have been in contact with the guard and shes told them shes happy the other driver isnt insured and is responsible.

and finally, the insurance company have told me the claim is closed and theres no comeback on me, whatever happens. The repairs were actually approved a while ago but I held off until they confirmed there was no possibility I'd have to pay. I dont lose my NCB, in fact, not only am i not out of pocket, but in fact the car is in better nick than before she hit it

Ace Result, well done for sticking with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭dharn

if an uninsured driver is involved in an accident where they cause a personal injury, and the courts award the injured person,4 million, is the bill sent to the uninsured driver ??

Thanks for clearing that up tbh. I thought the mibi would take care of it all and not your insurer from the get go once it was ascertained that she had no insurance.

Delighted it's been completely confirmed you keep your NCB and glad to hear the car is in great nick. It would be nice to hear in a few months time that the woman gets what she deserved in court but unless we get lucky I guess we'll never find out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

dharn wrote: »
    if an uninsured driver is involved in an accident where they cause a personal injury, and the courts award the injured person,4 million, is the bill sent to the uninsured driver ??
    Yes. A judgement will be sought against the uninsured driver for the amount. Of course they'll never be able to repay it but at least it'll bankrupt them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,148 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

I'm glad I only found this thread now when it's all done and dusted, I wouldn't have been able to handle the waiting and everything.

Glad to see it worked out well OP and i kinda laughed at the line under your username "Ah sure no-one will notice, it's grand" (the mindset of the villain) :)

• Advertisement

I'm glad I only found this thread now when it's all done and dusted, I wouldn't have been able to handle the waiting and everything.

Glad to see it worked out well OP and i kinda laughed at the line under your username "Ah sure no-one will notice, it's grand" (the mindset of the villain) :)

There hasn't been anything as gripping in our lives since Twin Peaks.

Advertisement