Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car hit, other driver drove off

Options
  • 14-05-2012 2:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭

Hi Guys - apologies if this has been done to death. My wife was parked in Blanch, came back to the car to discover some woman in a jeep had hit our car and drove off. rear wheel arch, rear passenger door and driver door are fairly badly damaged. Luckily we had a witness who waited an hour for my wife to come back and gave her the details, including the reg of the drive off.

Just wondering what happens next? My wife reported it at blanch garda station and the guard gave her her number and told her the insurance company would be looking for it. We want to get this sorted as quickly as possible, but obviously want to wait to see if the cops can find the other driver - anyone have any idea how long that normally takes? will the guards give us her details? what if she denies knowledge of it?

any info appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Faolchu

dont suppose she checked with the centre security office to see if it was caught on tape as proof for the gardai?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

I rang the centre and told them where and when it happened, and they said they'll take a look and make anything they find available to the guards. Just as I typed that last sentence, Blanch rang me and told me they have it on video and will give it to the guards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭UL_heart_throb

does this count as a hit and run or leaving the scene of an accident?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

wow good for the person who hung around! I hope you get everything sorted..sorry dont know how long it would take though

yeah - we're very grateful. If we can claim off the other drivers insurance, it'll save us about a grand between excess and loss of NCB I'd say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭pred racer

Far play to the witness!
    Hope the cops treat this seriously, blanch and liffey valley are disasters for this!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I would buy witness a pint and a card, which says: " for the best witness in my life".

Please let's us know how it will all end up. For once I want these scumbag hit and run bastards to pay. Every single car I own was a victim of those feckers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

Give all details to your insurance company including the witness contact details and let them look after the rest. Very sound of that person hangin around for an hour

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

Give all details to your insurance company including the witness contact details and let them look after the rest. Very sound of that person hangin around for an hour
    DO NOT DO THIS.

Pursue the matter yourself. Contact the OTHER PARTY's insurance.

If you request that your insurance does this it will leave an open claim on your policy which will affect your premium on renewal if its not sorted beforehand. Also you cannot move insurers if there is an open claim on your policy.

Max Power1 wrote: »
    DO NOT DO THIS.

Pursue the matter yourself. Contact the OTHER PARTY's insurance.

If you request that your insurance does this it will leave an open claim on your policy which will affect your premium on renewal if its not sorted beforehand. Also you cannot move insurers if there is an open claim on your policy.

thanks - I called the insurance company early on to see what to do, and they have all the details and they said they'd get back to me today. I know that we'll lose our ncb and pay an excess if we claim on ours, so told your man on the phone that obviously I want to go through the other parties...but take your point, will make sure there's no outstanding claim.

• Advertisement

quick update for any interested parties: the reg of the driver who hit us was on my own insurance companies files - they are going to give them a ring and let them know the score, and to see what they say.

tbh wrote: »
    quick update for any interested parties: the reg of the driver who hit us was on my own insurance companies files - they are going to give them a ring and let them know the score, and to see what they say.

*sharpening his pitchfork

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭pred racer

I'd love to be a fly on the wall when they get that call:D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Are the Guards doing anything about the driver driving off as he did?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Interesting case. I'd almost wager €5 the jeep driver denies everything. Fair play to your witness though.

Person who answered the phone was shocked, defensive and argumentative, and then hung up. Hopefully the guards will have better luck.

Person who answered the phone was shocked, defensive and argumentative, and then hung up. Hopefully the guards will have better luck.

What a scum!!!

I guess it will be the hard way now. Court etc? What did insurance plan to do now?

What a scum!!!

I guess it will be the hard way now. Court etc? What did insurance plan to do now?

gonna wait to hear from the guards. he rang her to give her the chance to settle herself, but according to him, it's just a case of finding out who she's insured with - if she is - and claiming from them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Obviously it's not resolved yet, but it's great to see someone like this getting caught for a change.

Obviously you can't reward the person that waited right now for fear of adversely affecting a court case down the line, but make sure you send them a gift when it's all wrapped up.

dahamsta wrote: »
    Obviously it's not resolved yet, but it's great to see someone like this getting caught for a change.

Obviously you can't reward the person that waited right now for fear of adversely affecting a court case down the line, but make sure you send them a gift when it's all wrapped up.

will deffo - it's almost worth this happening just so the other driver gets caught. I'm more and more sure that the other driver isn't insured.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭UL_heart_throb

I bet it was the 'witness' who damaged the car and doctored the cctv.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

I bet it was the 'witness' who damaged the car and doctored the cctv.

Sweet jesus...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Similar thing happened to me many years ago. After they drove off a witness left the details of the offending car on my window, plus their own contact details. I went to Garda, as you did, they contacted the witness and got a statement from him, then contacted the person who drove off and informed them that "... It was in their interest to co-operate with the repairs to the car, as leaving the scene of an accident without leaving contact details was a serious offence, and by the way we have a witness"
    They paid up pretty quickly!

K.Flyer wrote: »
    Similar thing happened to me many years ago. After they drove off a witness left the details of the offending car on my window, plus their own contact details. I went to Garda, as you did, they contacted the witness and got a statement from him, then contacted the person who drove off and informed them that "... It was in their interest to co-operate with the repairs to the car, as leaving the scene of an accident without leaving contact details was a serious offence, and by the way we have a witness"
    They paid up pretty quickly!

surely she denied it already, so that means she should be prosecuted already for that alone? Evidence there, witness there. i am pretty sure she is diging quite a deep hole for herself.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

I would buy witness a pint and a card, which says: " for the best witness in my life".

Whilst I principally agree with what you're saying, nothing should be given to the witness until it is all settled and finalised.

tbh - Glad you're getting sorted. I hope that the Gardai string the other driver up for this.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

will deffo - it's almost worth this happening just so the other driver gets caught. I'm more and more sure that the other driver isn't insured.

MIBI claim if that's the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭TheZ

Based on something similar happening to me before where other driver denied hitting my car in a car park the insurance company should appoint an investigator

Take photos of damage to your car and send them to the insurance company

Ended well in my case and got paid out

Your insurance company may give you option of claiming on your own insurance pending investigation. If you do that you will lose NCB (but it gets restored if claim against other driver is successful) so if you can wait to get it fixed then wait until investigation is complete and (hopefully) other driver's insurance is hit

So heard from the guard today - she rang the owner of the suspected car, who is coming into the station today at 5pm. fingers crossed we're in the endgame now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,805 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

Sounds like you lucked out there dude, delighted to hear it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

Good to see updates on this, hopefully you get it sorted.
    Looking forward to the final outcome, should be an open and shut case given the evidence.

Advertisement