Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car hit, other driver drove off

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

pcardin wrote: »
    My post was not anyhow intended as an offence to you OP and shouldn't be taken as that. I was more talking in general.

don't worry PC - no offense taken, I was talking generally too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

People are probably not defending her, maybe just somehow understand why she panicked. She hit the car un the only thing she could think was massive €€€€ bill so panicked and drove off. And as we can see it is massive. I'm not defending nor attacking either party here, don't get me wrong just trying to point out that it's just sad result of the fcuked up system people here in Ireland creatd themselves during many years by claiming enormous amount of money by garage qouting unreal costs for fixing scratches and dents. And if on the top somebody was in car when accident occured...ho la la! Go home open irish injuries board website and they have an etimator there (how dumb is that?) showing how much money you can try to "earn" from accident. Then to doctors and solicitors and voila! :mad:

I would think a poll taken here on whether people would leave the scene like the woman did here, would differ greatly from what actually happens in reality.

Its not a nice thing to do. But imagine if everyone only did nice things, wouldn`t it be great.

Maybe boards does genuinely have members that are on average more decent than the overall population.

Anyway, it was a good outcome in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,671 ✭✭✭brian_t

FullRetard wrote: »
    FullRetard wrote: »
    I think maybe you should have retard in your name and not me...it was relating to the persons behaviour and not their sex.
    brian_t_retard....with the t standing for THE............

No thanks.

You chose the name obviously as a reflection of who you are - you keep it.

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭kennM

People are probably not defending her, maybe just somehow understand why she panicked. She hit the car un the only thing she could think was massive €€€€ bill so panicked and drove off. And as we can see it is massive. I'm not defending nor attacking either party here, don't get me wrong just trying to point out that it's just sad result of the fcuked up system people here in Ireland creatd themselves during many years by claiming enormous amount of money by garage qouting unreal costs for fixing scratches and dents. And if on the top somebody was in car when accident occured...ho la la! Go home open irish injuries board website and they have an etimator there (how dumb is that?) showing how much money you can try to "earn" from accident. Then to doctors and solicitors and voila! :mad:

Hey pcardin,

Sounds very much like the opinion of someone who's never been injured in an accident. If you'd suffered, had life long issues imposed on you, short term/long term suffering, severe pain, major financial pressure put on due to the consequences, put major pressure on your family life, etc. due to someone elses actions you'd have a very different viewpoint..... its not a case of how much you "earn" from an accident.

Makes my blood boil frankly having been on the receiving end.

The reality is the system is stacked against the person who's on the receiving end. You suffer the consequences, hospital time, out of pocket expenses, disruption, physio etc. etc. etc. often for years before seeing a penny!!!

I hope to God you never go through something like it but respect the people who have.

Just to enlighten you, anything going through the injuries board etc. needs to be backed up with medical reports etc. etc. The VAST majority of people who receive compensation for injuries are more than entitled than it. There is a tiny minority who try to scam the system, its like that in everything though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭Barr

kennM wrote: »
    Hey pcardin,

Sounds very much like the opinion of someone who's never been injured in an accident. If you'd suffered, had life long issues imposed on you, short term/long term suffering, severe pain, major financial pressure put on due to the consequences, put major pressure on your family life, etc. due to someone elses actions you'd have a very different viewpoint..... its not a case of how much you "earn" from an accident.

The reality is the system is stacked against the person who's on the receiving end. You suffer the consequences, hospital time, out of pocket expenses, disruption, physio etc. etc. etc. often for years before seeing a penny!!!

I hope to God you never go through something like it but respect the people who have.

Just to enlighten you, anything going through the injuries board etc. needs to be backed up with medical reports etc. etc. The VAST majority of people who receive compensation for injuries are more than entitled than it. There is a tiny minority who try to scam the system, its like that in everything though.

Injury awards in Ireland are way over inflated. You mite want to check the average award in the UK to compare for similar injuries.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,261 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Barr wrote: »
    kennM wrote: »
    Hey pcardin,

Injury awards in Ireland are way over inflated. You mite want to check the average award in the UK to compare for similar injuries.
    You might want to consider free gp and physio visits on the NHS. The cost of ongoing treatment is factored into Irish awards. I'm still paying a physio long after the original compensation ran out. 6 years later, and my right hand is at about 90%. Sounds OK, but I make my living from music...

You're comparing apples and oranges.

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭kennM

Barr wrote: »

Two points:
    1) Based off your response I would assume that you've never been seriously injured through the fault of someone else?
    2) Average UK award... and who says they have it right? As pointed out its apples and oranges. Whats the average in USA? Whats the average in China, Whats the average in Switzerland..... its irrelevant. Awards are related to the specific economics of a country.

If you ask someone who has suffered a life long ailment or issue who has received compensation which would they prefer I guarantee they'd prefer the accident didn't happen in the first place!!!

just heard the car is being fixed and should be ready tomorrow. Also, MIBI have been in touch with my insurers and have told me there should be no problem getting my excess back.

The insurance company tell me they've still had no contact from the guards..

So, what does 1600 worth of damage look like?

Wheel Arch:
    IMG_20120515_063935_thumb.jpg

Door:
    IMG_20120515_063943_thumb.jpg

Door close up:
    IMG_20120515_063948_thumb.jpg

Not very dramatic, but more than I could afford to fix.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

tbh wrote: »
    So, what does 1600 worth of damage look like?

Not very dramatic, but more than I could afford to fix.

If that's what a garage quoted you for a professional job then that's what it costs. Its not like your brother in law is getting the money or something. She disappeared after damaging your car so fair enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

Ah come here, there is not a chance in HELL that she did not know that she hit your car. That is no light tough scratch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,399 ✭✭✭Damien360

Those are really nasty deep scratches. Cannot believe somebody would not notice doing that over half a body length of a car. If they just caught the bumper you would say something but the door to wheel arch is criminal.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I love those ads "One careful lady owner" !! Cracks me up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

I love those ads "One careful lady owner" !! Crack me up.

careful not to get caught more like .

So will this thread keep going to the much anticipated court case ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Ah come here, there is not a chance in HELL that she did not know that she hit your car. That is no light tough scratch.

my exact reaction. she dragged along the side of the car, she (and anyone around) would have heard it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭dharn

thats a lot of damage i would not be surprised if it cost more the whole side of the car would need to be resprayed to ensure a good colour match

dharn wrote: »
    thats a lot of damage i would not be surprised if it cost more the whole side of the car would need to be resprayed to ensure a good colour match

And that is indeed what happened, got the car back yesterday in better condition than it was in before the prang! Gonna have to save up and get the other side done now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Could just park in the 'most likely' spot in a supermarket car park!

/runs....

• Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭wonski

And that is indeed what happened, got the car back yesterday in better condition than it was in before the prang! Gonna have to save up and get the other side done now!

At least - after all this - you got something in return...
    You deserved it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭Buffman

I've been following the thread since your first post, great to hear you finally got sorted and aren't out of pocket.

Hopefully in a few months you'll hear how the court case goes and let us know.

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles to avoid the DRS fee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

Buffman wrote: »
    I've been following the thread since your first post, great to hear you finally got sorted and aren't out of pocket.

Hopefully in a few months you'll hear how the court case goes and let us know.

Er....we're all going to the court case and for pints afterwards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Only the regular posters will star in the film. The rest can be extras.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,261 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Bugger. Best get back on board so...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

I want to be the driver.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭phill106

hondasam wrote: »
    I want to be the driver.

Dibs on being the witness!
    Who wants to be the gardai?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

I'll play the jeep.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,867 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

I had Spielberg ring me asking to direct it, but I told him to sod off, as he wasn't a boardsie....:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭FullRetard

can I be the c*nt? I'm not female but I can certainly behave like one:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

I think we may be able to get Tom Cruise at a discount rate for this one. He'll be going cheap once Katie is done with him & all their dirty laundry gets aired in court. He could play the OP as long as the OP is ok with someone who is vertically challenged playing him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

I posted in this thread quite a few times so should be allowed to star. But am shy so will accept being an extra......as long as I get a decent mention and proper pay :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭cats.life

i,ll do the gardai, its only a small part cos she was never there to answer him when op called :D

Advertisement