Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car hit, other driver drove off

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 77 ✭✭Lord Bafford

Woman driver in car park crash shocker. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

robbie7730 wrote: »
    MugMugs wrote: »
    She didn't have it, she crashed, she had it.
    I cant afford to pay out 5k tonight for a car. If a serious emergency came up, i would have it, but would then be in serious difficulty, as an example.

Again, don`t read into this as if I condone leaving the scene of an accident.
    How do insureds tap the MIBI when they claim? I don't follow?

What I meant was not really to do with the MIBI. In any insurance market, we pay a premium based on the cost of claims. More claims in general, higher premiums for everyone in general, even for people that never claimed. So other people`s insurance covered claims cost everyone to some extent.

A portion of every insureds persons premium is used to invest and in turn added to the claim pool, correct.

Uninsureds however don't fall into that category.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

If she did buy it that day, how does that not show she can clearly afford it?

If i have 400 in the bank today, and 500 mortgage is going out tomorrow, can I afford to spend that 400 today?

I guess it depends on how you look at it. Or maybe someone gave her a loan.

Or maybe she could easily afford it.

Doesn`t really matter now anyway.

Isurance is not somethign you decide you can do without for a while to save money.
    I never said It was.

If having your car insured when you drive it is perfect, then yes, yes there are.
    But no, no that does not make you perfect. But you`re on boards, where perfection seems easy for many.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

If she did buy it that day, how does that not show she can clearly afford it?

If i have 400 in the bank today, and 500 mortgage is going out tomorrow, can I afford to spend that 400 today?

I guess it depends on how you look at it. Or maybe someone gave her a loan.

Or maybe she could easily afford it.

Doesn`t really matter now anyway.
    She had enough money to go shopping and enough money to fill her tank.... If she needed the car that badly then direct debit wouldn't have been the end of the.world. fact is, she was able to afford it after the accident then she was able to afford it before the accident too

• Advertisement

She had enough money to go shopping and enough money to fill her tank.... If she needed the car that badly then direct debit wouldn't have been the end of the.world. fact is, she was able to afford it after the accident then she was able to afford it before the accident too

Maybe, but I dont know that. So I am at a disadvantage to you`re extra knowledge of facts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

Will you not look at the possibility she might have though she was insured?
    It could be a simple error on her side or the insurance company could have made a mistake with her policy.
    You are making a lot of assumptions about someone you don't know.

Who cares whether she could afford it or not. She was illegally driving an SUV. Its not like it was an emergency or anything as she was in a shopping centre.
    She deserves everything she gets!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

hondasam wrote: »

It could be a simple error on her side or the insurance company could have made a mistake with her policy.

Can I just say? I agree with giving her the benefit of the doubt and everything and there's nothing to be gained from slagging her off, but she did have a policy with another company prior to this accident, which had been expired over a month before the accident. She took out a new policy with a new company in the hours after she hit my car. My insurance company had her details because she had rung them looking for a quote a couple of weeks before she hit me. In fairness, I would say its a safe bet that she knew she wasn't insured. I accept totally that she may have struggled to afford it, but as others have pointed out, this didn't happen in the car park of a hospital, it was a shopping centre on a Monday afternoon. The reason I'm driving a focus and not a mondeo is that I have a limited budget which also has to include insurance. Before I had the cash to pay for everything, I took the bus.

I do respect you for giving her the benefit of the doubt but she would have seen there was a baby seat - two actually - in the back of my car. She took a chance, she did the damage and even when she knew she was caught fair and square, she tried to pass the bill for her actions onto my family. I've made a fair few assumptions about her in my time, but they are all based purely on her actions. Times are tough for everyone and I don't exactly have a load of cash left at the end of the month. If I'd had to pay this bill myself, then we'd couldn't just absorb that, we'd have to decide to sacrifice something else we have to pay for, and the amount of money means that that would have probably been. Ore that just discretionary spending, it would have meant having to sacrifice something we actually need.

Who cares whether she could afford it or not. She was illegally driving an SUV. Its not like it was an emergency or anything as she was in a shopping centre.
    She deserves everything she gets!

What was it that made her take out the insurance policy that evening?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭dougie-lampkin

All true, apart from this nugget:
    tbh wrote: »
    Just heard from my insurance company. Other driver took out her policy at 1745 on the 14th of May, six hours or so AFTER she'd dinged me. We now have confirmation that she wasn't insured when she hit me and she's as good as admitted she hit me by taking out the policy on the day.

She took out a policy 6 hours after having a tip that she denied being involved in. It was hardly coincidence, now was it. I'm all for the benefit of the doubt but trying to come up with a rational explanation for that chain of events is just taking the piss.

She knew well she wasn't insured, and that she had a tip. And she could obviously afford the insurance, since she paid it within 6 hours. Those who cannot afford insurance but still drive out of necessity are bad enough, but what she did is the lowest of the low. Pure scum.

She took out a policy 6 hours after having a tip that she denied being involved in. It was hardly coincidence, now was it. I'm all for the benefit of the doubt but trying to come up with a rational explanation for that chain of events is just taking the piss.

She knew well she wasn't insured, and that she had a tip. And she could obviously afford the insurance, since she paid it within 6 hours. Those who cannot afford insurance but still drive out of necessity are bad enough, but what she did is the lowest of the low. Pure scum.

How did she pay for this insurance? you have no idea how she paid or if she could afford it or not. I'm not in favour of calling her names because I don't know her and she could be a very nice person caught in a difficult situation.

@tbh, I am not for a moment condoning what she did and driving without insurance is a big no for me but I would give her the benefit of maybe forgetting to renew her policy, it does happen.
    We all get side tracked sometimes and are busy and forget things.

Why did she take out the policy that day? Did she know she was gong to be identified, 6 hours after the tip?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Jimbob 83

How did she pay for this insurance? you have no idea how she paid or if she could afford it or not. I'm not in favour of calling her names because I don't know her and she could be a very nice person caught in a difficult situation.

@tbh, I am not for a moment condoning what she did and driving without insurance is a big no for me but I would give her the benefit of maybe forgetting to renew her policy, it does happen.
    We all get side tracked sometimes and are busy and forget things.

It's still illegal, im sure there are lots of "Nice people" in mountjoy but i doubt it counts for tuppence tbh, she was in the wrong and attempted to leave the scene of an accident and leave the OP with a damaged vehicle.

Jimbob 83 wrote: »
    It's still illegal, im sure there are lots of "Nice people" in mountjoy but i doubt it counts for tuppence tbh, she was in the wrong and attempted to leave the scene of an accident and leave the OP with a damaged vehicle.

If you are going purely on doing illegal things to indicate a persons character, is that anythig illegal, or just some things?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭dharn

tbh you are a decent human being and very understanding, im glad this has turned out well for you

If you are going purely on doing illegal things to indicate a persons character, is that anythig illegal, or just some things?

A persons character is defined by their actions :pac:

Especially those when they are in a situation where they think they can do something unnoticed

I know it's illegal.
    She did leave the scene as it happens as do lots of people who scrape a car while parking or exiting a parking space, it's not that uncommon actually.
    I don't think she will be visiting mountjoy over this incident, do you?

A persons character is defined by their actions :pac:
    Which is why I keep saying boards seems to have nothing but flawless people on it. I never seen a community with such perfection filled people.
    Especially those when they are in a situation where they think they can do something unnoticed

And did she think she did this, unnoticed?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,257 ✭✭✭✭endacl

endacl wrote: »
    She clearly could afford it and clearly knew she was wrong for driving uninsured.

How is it clear she could afford it? Maybe she could, but how has it been clearly shown here?
    If I couldn't pay for insurance, I wouldn't. Then again I wouldn't drive.

I'm not a cnut...

I didn't call you one.
    No. I did. Call her a nut-with-a-silent-c that is.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 77 ✭✭Lord Bafford

Some pretty thinly veiled sexism being propagated in this thread...

I know it's illegal.
    She did leave the scene as it happens as do lots of people who scrape a car while parking or exiting a parking space, it's not that uncommon actually.
    I don't think she will be visiting mountjoy over this incident, do you?

Who said she was going to mountjoy, it was just a loose comparison. She could have left a note/been insured/not attempted to leave the scene of the incident on the chance she could "get away with it" or generally behaved like an responsible adult with any kind of decency would have in the situation.

Or do you just like defending the indefensable for the craic ?

Which is why I keep saying boards seems to have nothing but flawless people on it. I never seen a community with such perfection filled people.

And did she think she did this, unnoticed?

How would i know what a jackass w/o insurance would be thinking ?

She probably paniced and bolted as quick as she could

Who said she was going to mountjoy, it was just a loose comparison. She could have left a note/been insured/not attempted to leave the scene of the incident on the chance she could "get away with it" or generally behaved like an responsible adult with any kind of decency would have in the situation.

Or do you just like defending the indefensable for the craic ?

I would not damage someone's car and drive off, that's me but I know people who would and lets face it there are lots of people who would.
    I am defending her I suppose or I would prefer to say trying to see it from another point of view rather than just assuming she is scum, low life etc.
    She should have come clean once she was caught but that's the thing with a little lie it gets bigger and bigger.

How would i know what a jackass w/o insurance would be thinking ?
    Can you tell what people with insurance are thinking?

I would not damage someone's car and drive off, that's me but I know people who would and lets face it there are lots of people who would.
    I am defending her I suppose or I would prefer to say trying to see it from another point of view rather than just assuming she is scum, low life etc.
    She should have come clean once she was caught but that's the thing with a little lie it gets bigger and bigger.

Never said she was scum, irresponsable/untrustworthy maybe but that doesn't make her actions any less nor your view any more based in fact than mine.

Who knows maybe she just liked having a windscreen as clean as a kitchen window, those silly insurance and tax discs were only getting in the way anyway.

Can you tell what people with insurance are thinking?

I don't know where you are going with this exactly :pac:

But fair play on the +1, if you agree with her actions and would do the same thats your view, it's also why everyone else pays a premium on our car insurance (unless you like paying more?)

I don't know where you are going with this exactly :pac:
    You asked how are you supposed to know what a jackass without insurance is thinking, as if having no insurance would have a bearing on you failing to mind reading her. So I asked can you mind read people with insurance.
    But fair play on the +1, if you agree with her actions and would do the same thats your view, it's also why everyone else pays a premium on our car insurance (unless you like paying more?)

You seem good at assuming there.

You seem good at assuming there.

Im not the one giving off the "Shurrre it's grand cause everyone else does it vibe and wouldn't ya be a right eejit to leave a note/wait around when you can be down the road"

It's doesn't make a person perfect it makes them a member of the majority

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭phill106

Can't we all get along!

Advertisement