Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car hit, other driver drove off

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Macers

tbh wrote: »
    the guard did say the other driver would be summonsed, the question is, is that for not producing, or for not having, the documents. Based on everything that's happened, I'd say if the other driver goes to the guards and produces now, they'll probably let it drop.

It will be for not having insurance. She has been given ample time to produce and has not done so.

I'd be amazed if she does produce. Even still she'd have to produce documents to show insurance was in place at the time of the incident...not in place now...

Whatever you do please don't let this go - it's people like her driving up car insurance prices...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭Colonel Sanders

the guard did say the other driver would be summonsed, the question is, is that for not producing, or for not having, the documents. Based on everything that's happened, I'd say if the other driver goes to the guards and produces now, they'll probably let it drop.

My wife was stopped one night on the way home. Hadn't her docs with her so was given the 10 days to produce. Did so & we thought that was the end of it.

Not long after a summons came. Mix up in the Garda station. She called up & it was all sorted , Guard involved apologised etc. But she did originally get a summons when it was thought she hadn't produced

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

endacl wrote: »
    When this ends, where are we all meeting for pints?

Naas, there is loads of free parking to accommodate us all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭Colonel Sanders

endacl wrote: »
    When this ends, where are we all meeting for pints?

Naas, there is loads of free parking to accommodate us all.

Ha!

Remember to bring a few spare car jacks & hand wash!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

Macers wrote: »

I'd be amazed if she does produce.

she's given us her policy number and insurance company. My guy is ringing them today..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

she's given us her policy number and insurance company. My guy is ringing them today..

My guess is that the policy is in her husband's name and that she is bluffing and not insured herself at all. Why would someone who is actually insured want to act the prat otherwise? She will play the old card " God, I really thought i was covered" and probably only has a Provisional licence too.

At the end of "The Film" I want to be the one who says to the teary eyed old bag " Frankly my dear, I don't give a damn" as she is taken away in chains.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭dharn

and there was i thinking this had run it course, it has just got real interesting again, john grisham could not write stuff this good ,will definitely have to made in to a film

Well my friends, we've travelled a long road together but this is where we part ways, at least for a while. Just heard from my insurance company. Other driver took out her policy at 1745 on the 14th of May, six hours or so AFTER she'd dinged me. We now have confirmation that she wasn't insured when she hit me and she's as good as admitted she hit me by taking out the policy on the day. So my claim has been approved, car is in next week to be repaired and its been confirmed that the excess I pay will be refunded. Result!

I'll let you know if I hear anything else in terms of action taken against the other driver and how long it takes to get the excess back. Thanks again for all the good wishes during the whole process and safe driving to ye all :)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,240 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Result! Delighted for you tbh. What's in the pipeline for the next epic thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

I really hope she loses her licence.

The fact she could afford to incept a policy post incident shows she could afford it in the first place and that she knew she was wrong for driving uninsured.

Kudos tbh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭phill106

Well my friends, we've travelled a long road together but this is where we part ways, at least for a while. Just heard from my insurance company. Other driver took out her policy at 1745 on the 14th of May, six hours or so AFTER she'd dinged me. We now have confirmation that she wasn't insured when she hit me and she's as good as admitted she hit me by taking out the policy on the day. So my claim has been approved, car is in next week to be repaired and its been confirmed that the excess I pay will be refunded. Result!

I'll let you know if I hear anything else in terms of action taken against the other driver and how long it takes to get the excess back. Thanks again for all the good wishes during the whole process and safe driving to ye all :)

Delighted! Did you ever post a pic of the damage? Maybe put up a before and after?
    Also that witness deserves a nice present or lots of karma points :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭TheBody

Back of the net!! Glad it worked out for ya.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭wayne0308

Fantastic news! This woman sure was a slippery one. She got the insurance 6 hours after the incident? This was way before she knew she was caught right? I wonder if she saw the thread here on boards or was it just paranoia?

Doesn't matter much now though as she's caught rotten. Congratulations on the great result. Hope the excess comes back to you without too much delay.

phill106 wrote: »
    Delighted! Did you ever post a pic of the damage? Maybe put up a before and after?
    Also that witness deserves a nice present or lots of karma points :)

No - been waiting till the car gets fixed before posting any pics, just in case. The damage probably isn't as bad as you think, it really is only cosmetic. The guy doing the estimate summed up what I thought - It's nasty enough to need to be fixed, but not that bad that you have to fix it (if you know what I mean). I will post pics.
    wayne0308 wrote: »
    Fantastic news! This woman sure was a slippery one. She got the insurance 6 hours after the incident? This was way before she knew she was caught right? I wonder if she saw the thread here on boards or was it just paranoia?

Assuming she didn't see the thread on boards, the first contact we would have had with her was two days later, when both my insurance company and the guards got in touch. She obviously knew she hit us.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,002 ✭✭✭Wossack

wow, great ole read throughout, thanks for taking the time to keep us all informed tbh :)

glad it all worked out so well for you, and so horridly for the hit-and-runner

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭brian_t

The damage probably isn't as bad as you think, it really is only cosmetic.

Maybe she took your Avatar (Tag) a bit too literally. :)

"Ah sure no-one will notice, it's grand"

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Macers

Have you asked the guard if she is being prosecuted? She could have been driving for months without insurance...

Macers wrote: »
    Have you asked the guard if she is being prosecuted? She could have been driving for months without insurance...

she is being prosecuted alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 mimsy

Delighted you've gotten to the bottom of it for once and for all.

Since the insurance company now know she isn't covered for this accident how will they recoup the costs of the repair to your car? Will they claim through the uninsured drivers policy they have? If so will it left as an outstanding/open claim on your policy?
    Genuinely curious how this is done - especially on such an open and shut case as your own.

Well done again!

mimsy wrote: »
    Delighted you've gotten to the bottom of it for once and for all.

Since the insurance company now know she isn't covered for this accident how will they recoup the costs of the repair to your car? Will they claim through the uninsured drivers policy they have? If so will it left as an outstanding/open claim on your policy?
    Genuinely curious how this is done - especially on such an open and shut case as your own.

Well done again!

claims guy said that they go after her for it, but he said the most usual thing that happens is that the court will award them the cost, but she won't have the money to pay. Not sure what happens after that. My excess gets refunded from the MIBI.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭TheBody

Will this affect your no claims bonus?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,002 ✭✭✭Wossack

TheBody wrote: »

I highly doubt it, as he's claiming off someone elses, rather then someone claiming off his

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭rob180

Delighted to hear this, hope they throw the book at her in court.

TheBody wrote: »

No.

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭cats.life

omg op, ive read this since the start of your thread now i can cook lunch for me kids:D,what a bitch, have you kept in contact with witness to tell that you got her?id say witness would laugh her head off.. so glad you stuck to your gunns and done the right thing, to many has gotten away with it. people who do that should not be driving at all,wheelbarrow would suit them better, now i realy must go and again best of luck with fixed car;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

Also the fact that she took out this insurance policy after she had hit someone, it is highly unlikely she divulged that she had an accident in the last 5 years when she was taking it out. That would mean her insurance company will cancel her policy or heft the premium up. If it gets cancelled it's once for her as they all ask if you have ever had a policy cancelled by an insurer before. If so what reasons etc. She'll be screwed for a few years.

She'll prob lie again and if she gets found out like what happened here I hope she gets banned. She should get banned now anyway for not driving with insurance and taking the policy out afterwards. Hope a good judge sees through her.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

She will be summonsed for Non production and Non display and now with having no Insurance.
    She will get her day in court for sure.

well done, is the guard off the hook now?

hondasam wrote: »

She will be summonsed for Non production and Non display and now with having no Insurance.
    She will get her day in court for sure.

well done, is the guard off the hook now?

Well in as much as I don't need to hassle her anymore, she is :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

Well in as much as I don't need to hassle her anymore, she is :)

Looks like your woman is good at avoiding everyone but she was caught out in the end and her insurance company could cancel her policy if she did not tell them the truth which she probably didn't.

Advertisement