Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car hit, other driver drove off

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 669 ✭✭✭galait

Jimbob 83 wrote: »
    Im not the one giving off the "Shurrre it's grand cause everyone else does it vibe and wouldn't ya be a right eejit to leave a note/wait around when you can be down the road"

It's doesn't make a person perfect it makes them a member of the majority

I observed a Ford Transit do Serious Damage to a Parked recently , The driver got out had a look around and thought nobody witnessed his action's, He jumped back into the Van and drove off , I got his details and called the Gardai on my way back to work .
    I also left a note on windscreen of the damaged car with my mobile number, The owner called me to thank me and I never heard another word from the Gardai, Then 2 weeks later I get Parking Fine Issued by the Gardai for Parking in an unused Taxi Rank late on a weekend evening, I went into the Garda Station to appeal and when I mentioned that I was responsible for identifying the driver who damaged a car that were indifferent and I had to pay the fine.
    I will think twice the next time I see a similar incident...

• Registered Users Posts: 22,257 ✭✭✭✭endacl

galait wrote: »
    Im not the one giving off the "Shurrre it's grand cause everyone else does it vibe and wouldn't ya be a right eejit to leave a note/wait around when you can be down the road"

I observed a Ford Transit do Serious Damage to a Parked recently , The driver got out had a look around and thought nobody witnessed his action's, He jumped back into the Van and drove off , I got his details and called the Gardai on my way back to work .
    I also left a note on windscreen of the damaged car with my mobile number, The owner called me to thank me and I never heard another word from the Gardai, Then 2 weeks later I get Parking Fine Issued by the Gardai for Parking in an unused Taxi Rank late on a weekend evening, I went into the Garda Station to appeal and when I mentioned that I was responsible for identifying the driver who damaged a car that were indifferent and I had to pay the fine.
    Fair play for reporting the transit.

Why would the guards wipe the fine though? You weren't doing them a favour. You were doing the owner if the damaged car one. If you were illegally parked, you were illegally parked. End of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Mind reading again? Where did i say its fine to do what the woman did? And where did I say everyone else does it? I dont know how many would or wouldn`t do it.
    I think there are plenty of people who would report such an incident, but if then in the same situation themselves, would try get away with it.

Not a single person in this thread would of course. But there are many tips and scrapes in car parks. I would be surprised if the majority notify the other car owner.

And before you start more assuming, I am not condoning what the woman did, which I have said already.

No relevance at all there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

Why would you hear from the gardai they had no reason to contact you obviously.
    What has a parking fine got to do with you reporting something, you think you should be excused from all traffic offences from now on?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

hondasam wrote: »

@tbh, I am not for a moment condoning what she did and driving without insurance is a big no for me but I would give her the benefit of maybe forgetting to renew her policy, it does happen.
    We all get side tracked sometimes and are busy and forget things.

don't worry HS, if our roles were reversed, I could quite easily be the guy on thread who's saying what you're saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,059 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Then 2 weeks later I get Parking Fine Issued by the Gardai for Parking in an unused Taxi Rank late on a weekend evening, I went into the Garda Station to appeal and when I mentioned that I was responsible for identifying the driver who damaged a car that were indifferent and I had to pay the fine.

I fail to see why you think that you'd get off a fine for a completely unrelated offence due to having done that?

phill106 wrote: »
    Can't we all get along!

No:mad:
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

How did she pay for this insurance? you have no idea how she paid or if she could afford it or not. I'm not in favour of calling her names because I don't know her and she could be a very nice person caught in a difficult situation.

@tbh, I am not for a moment condoning what she did and driving without insurance is a big no for me but I would give her the benefit of maybe forgetting to renew her policy, it does happen.

She didnt forget though, she was shopping for insurance 2 weeks before so she knew full well she had no insurance but drove anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 669 ✭✭✭galait

What has a parking fine got to do with you reporting something, you think you should be excused from all traffic offences from now on?

One good turn deserves another and all that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,059 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Life, and the law, don't work that way

Did you even get the parking ticket from the Guards to begin with? They have absolutely no control or influence over council tickets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

You did not do a good turn for the guards. I cannot imagine why you thought it would make a difference.
    In future you will not report anything unless you get a favour in return from any guard that gives you a ticket?

Civic responsibilities and all that?

I've given up my seat on the bus loads of times to old ladies. How many parking tickets do I get let off for doing what I'd have been a tosser not to have done...?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,983 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

endacl wrote: »

I've given up my seat on the bus loads of times to old ladies. How many parking tickets do I get let off for doing what I'd have been a tosser not to have done...?

You reported the van for one reason alone. That if somebody hit your car in a similar situation, you wouldn't be left out of pocket either and the prick would get their just desserts. Its a selfish reason at the end of the day but a justified one.

I'm not sure how you equate that being let off a bad parking ticket afterwards.

endacl wrote: »

You reported the van for one reason alone. That if somebody hit your car in a similar situation, you wouldn't be left out of pocket either and the prick would get their just desserts. Its a selfish reason at the end of the day but a justified one.

I'm not sure how you equate that being let off a bad parking ticket afterwards.
    Think you might be getting your posters a bit muxed ip. I was saying the same thing...

;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭FullRetard

brian_t wrote: »
    Your use of the word c*nt and cu*t to refer to a women tells us a lot about your character too.

:rolleyes:

I was refering to her behaviour,as you well know,and not what she has between her legs...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭stoneill

How did she pay for this insurance? you have no idea how she paid or if she could afford it or not. I'm not in favour of calling her names because I don't know her and she could be a very nice person caught in a difficult situation.

I think that the fact there was no insurance disc in at the time of the collision means she knew that her insurance was up. Maybe it was a decision she made just to save a few quid for a month, but that's they way things go - either you are insured or you not, and if you are not then don't be on the road.
    Best thing for her to do in the beginning was to own up and admit it, easier said than done I suppose, she probably panicked a bit and then couldn't find a way out and save face at the same time.
    Lesson learnt for everyone here - if you find yourself in a position where you hit another car, and it can happen to anyone, make sure that you make every reasonable effort to contact the owner and make amends.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

MugMugs wrote: »
    She had enough money to go shopping and enough money to fill her tank.... If she needed the car that badly then direct debit wouldn't have been the end of the.world. fact is, she was able to afford it after the accident then she was able to afford it before the accident too

Will you not look at the possibility she might have though she was insured?
    It could be a simple error on her side or the insurance company could have made a mistake with her policy.
    You are making a lot of assumptions about someone you don't know.

I thought I won the Lotto once. Had visions of cheap hookers, coke and a bar in Thailand. When I bothered my ass checking I realised that I.was wrong and I had not won the Lotto. Good job I hadn't bought that bar before checking in the hope that if I didn't have the cash everybody else would pay for it for me.

Are you catching my drift. She is OBLIGED to ensure she HAS insurance before getting behind the wheel. If she didn't check then tough sh1t bit frankly I think we all know she knew she had none. Irrespective of whether she could afford it or not, I frankly don't care. I can't afford lots of things in this life so I go without..... And not to financial detriment of other people.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭brian_t

FullRetard wrote: »
    I was refering to her behaviour,as you well know,and not what she has between her legs...
    FullRetard wrote: »
    well from what we do know it would be safe to call her a c*nt.Cos thats what a cu*t would do

You used the term in the context I stated.

brian_t wrote: »
    You used the term in the context I stated.

I think maybe you should have retard in your name and not me...it was relating to the persons behaviour and not their sex.

• Advertisement

blah

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭alphabeat

wow what a c.unt

the figures are in - cost of repair is 1600.

tbh wrote: »
    Ouch...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

That does not seem like a small tip. Regardless of her buying insurance later, she had to know that she hit you.

So this (I'll be polite) "lady" hit you hard enough to cause that damage, drove off, THEN tried to deny everything and people here are defending her???

WTF people!!:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭cats.life

so it would take more than a hammer to fix it? fr ted comes to mind when their car had a dent in it, they decided to fix it themselves.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭pcardin

That does not seem like a small tip. Regardless of her buying insurance later, she had to know that she hit you.

So this (I'll be polite) "lady" hit you hard enough to cause that damage, drove off, THEN tried to deny everything and people here are defending her???

WTF people!!:eek:

People are probably not defending her, maybe just somehow understand why she panicked. She hit the car un the only thing she could think was massive €€€€ bill so panicked and drove off. And as we can see it is massive. I'm not defending nor attacking either party here, don't get me wrong just trying to point out that it's just sad result of the fcuked up system people here in Ireland creatd themselves during many years by claiming enormous amount of money by garage qouting unreal costs for fixing scratches and dents. And if on the top somebody was in car when accident occured...ho la la! Go home open irish injuries board website and they have an etimator there (how dumb is that?) showing how much money you can try to "earn" from accident. Then to doctors and solicitors and voila! :mad:

just two observations:

I know myself that the size of the bill doesn't necessarily reflect the force of the impact. A slight tip can easily cost a grand, especially when paint matching is involved. The whole door has to be done, not just the scrape.

I'd say that the fact it's an insurance job has probably added 10-20% to the final bill. I've no doubt that if I shopped around, I could probably get it done cheaper, and if the other driver had admitted it, I would definitely have been willing to try to make some effort to save her the cash..As it is, she's already made me wait a month, so screw her, frankly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭pcardin

just two observations:

I know myself that the size of the bill doesn't necessarily reflect the force of the impact. A slight tip can easily cost a grand, especially when paint matching is involved. The whole door has to be done, not just the scrape.

I'd say that the fact it's an insurance job has probably added 10-20% to the final bill. I've no doubt that if I shopped around, I could probably get it done cheaper, and if the other driver had admitted it, I would definitely have been willing to try to make some effort to save her the cash..As it is, she's already made me wait a month, so screw her, frankly.

My post was not anyhow intended as an offence to you OP and shouldn't be taken as that. I was more talking in general.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

just two observations:

I have had body work done and paint matched perfectly for a lot less. Level of work must be a bit more than what I did to my own car and I knew immediately that I had a scrape.

When you get a chance to post the pic it would be great to see but in my experience, to have caused a scrape like that on the door means that she knew that she had hit your car

Advertisement