Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Loungers on the run: Couch to 5k to marathon and beyond

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭NCONTHEMC

Hi! Anyone been reading the FBook Flora Mini Marathon page? Interesting comments / debate raging about safety issues, categories, and whether a certain Ms R Davison actually completed the 10k or not!? I didn't wear make up on the day but am pretty damn sure I wouldn't have looked so fresh after slogging round the course .....:confused: haven't run since, note to self: get arse off sofa tonight!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

NCONTHEMC wrote: »
    Hi! Anyone been reading the FBook Flora Mini Marathon page? Interesting comments / debate raging about safety issues, categories, and whether a certain Ms R Davison actually completed the 10k or not!? I didn't wear make up on the day but am pretty damn sure I wouldn't have looked so fresh after slogging round the course .....:confused: haven't run since, note to self: get arse off sofa tonight!
    It's a boardie who highlighted it, on the a/r/t forum.

Oh right, thanks Grindelwald. mind you I don't think I have time to follow another thread on Boards.ie. :o Am so addicted already that A/R/T might stop me collecting a kid to two from school! And as for the running, well why put in the effort when I could read all about it on boards!! <sneaks off to look at A/R/T>

Oh right, thanks Grindelwald. mind you I don't think I have time to follow another thread on Boards.ie. :o Am so addicted already that A/R/T might stop me collecting a kid to two from school! And as for the running, well why put in the effort when I could read all about it on boards!! <sneaks off to look at A/R/T>

linky!

read from post 52!

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=79048189#post79048189

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭timewilltell

I love this little community on this thread, and all those mini marathon times are great.

I'd just like to say..........
    WEEK 5 WORKOUT 3!! Done! 2 miles (or 3.3 km) in 20 minutes... done ! :)

• Advertisement

Well done Timewilltell , are you addicted to running now?! I went out once rain eased, ran a km. Rain came back with a vengeance. Got soaked for another 2k. Went home! Was first run since MM so was just making sure legs still work. :rolleyes: Got new runners! Yay. New runners had baptism of deluge today!:(

Well done Timewilltell , are you addicted to running now?! I went out once rain eased, ran a km. Rain came back with a vengeance. Got soaked for another 2k. Went home! Was first run since MM so was just making sure legs still work. :rolleyes: Got new runners! Yay. New runners had baptism of deluge today!:(
    I think I am! Slightly! I was dreading going out today but my running partner is in the same boat so we motivate each other!

In fairness. wet weather + new runners is bound to end in disaster!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭JimmyCrackCorn

I have 15 weeks left to get silly fit.

I ran the full length of the beach last night with no stopping and did a happy dance. Some people walking looked on with awkward smiles.

1236681958_hammer-time.gif

Now running as much as I can about 4 days a week and some gym work to see can I speed up the process a little without doing myself damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭Unregistered39

I love this little community on this thread, and all those mini marathon times are great.

I'd just like to say..........
    WEEK 5 WORKOUT 3!! Done! 2 miles (or 3.3 km) in 20 minutes... done ! :)

You're one run ahead of me! Did Week 5/2 today and was dreading the 8 minute run but it actually wasn't too bad, hailstones and all. I just wish 'Laura' wouldn't tell me I'm only at 4 minutes when it feels like 15...

My self and daughter before the mini marathon

picture.php?albumid=1382&pictureid=13037

• Advertisement

Great pic Grindelwald! You look like sisters?! Are you planning on running or walking anymore races this summer? I foolishly signed up for Docklands 8k in Dublin. Only positives being 1) is not 10k 2) is flat course :-) Am loathe to stop training for races as am lazy sod who relies on motivation through fear to keep me moving!!:eek:

Great pic Grindelwald! You look like sisters?! Are you planning on running or walking anymore races this summer? I foolishly signed up for Docklands 8k in Dublin. Only positives being 1) is not 10k 2) is flat course :-) Am loathe to stop training for races as am lazy sod who relies on motivation through fear to keep me moving!!:eek:

Not sure yet, we are working in getting our white belts for kickboxing, we will do a few runs but nothing competitive. Well I won't, my lady might sign up for something at secondary school, she has won gold at her school every year since 1st class, she did athletics in athlone IT and came 2nd, she done the schools county cross country and came 24th. She qualified for a few other things too, she is great at hurdles.

She sports day is coming up next week. considering she is diabetic she is very sporty. Doesn't get it from me, my first ever medal was the on I received on Monday for the mini marathon.

On the train home 2 women across from us thought we were both around 16 and sisters. They are my new best friends ;)

I'm 32 on the 28th of this month... That's knocking a whole 16 years off me :)

One thing us for sure we will do the flora mini marathon for a few years maybe even every year. Might see how my fitness is and work up to a half marathon.

Jeez your girl IS sporty!! I'm like you, sport phobic until MM medal last year! But I have gone WAY past 32 unfortunately :-( Fair play to her coping with diabetes, is she Type 1? My best friends boy was diagnosed 18 months ago as Type 1, he's 5 now and on the pump. He's doing really well, but god it's not easy. Especially on the mums. Sounds like your girl doesn't let Diabetes stop her, fair play to her,& you! Note to self: Grindelwald kickboxes, don't piss her off. Or her daughter!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

Anyone signed up to more races over the summer? Registered for the 8k race series one in the park. Not sure if ill do them all, probably the 5mile 10k and then 10mile. Seriously doubt i could manage running 21k as much as i'd love to try it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

Doing a 5km this evening, I'm going to keep trying to do these races to keep myself motivated - though they don't match up to the atmosphere of the mini-marathon!

You're one run ahead of me! Did Week 5/2 today and was dreading the 8 minute run but it actually wasn't too bad, hailstones and all. I just wish 'Laura' wouldn't tell me I'm only at 4 minutes when it feels like 15...

Yay it's great to have someone around the same stage! Is Laura your timers name? I have that RUn Keeper app and it's absolutely brilliant. Though I do call the womans voice all the names under the sun when she tells me Ive only beein running 10 minutes. I skipped ahead a bit just to test myself today and did 4km in 27 minutes! Im very proud of myself!
    Anyone signed up to more races over the summer? Registered for the 8k race series one in the park. Not sure if ill do them all, probably the 5mile 10k and then 10mile. Seriously doubt i could manage running 21k as much as i'd love to try it.

Im going to sign up for for the DOnadea 5km at the end of July... and then a half marathon nearer the end of the year. I think if I keep my levels up I can do it!
    kelle wrote: »
    Doing a 5km this evening, I'm going to keep trying to do these races to keep myself motivated - though they don't match up to the atmosphere of the mini-marathon!

Hope all goes well!

Yay it's great to have someone around the same stage! Is Laura your timers name? I have that RUn Keeper app and it's absolutely brilliant. Though I do call the womans voice all the names under the sun when she tells me Ive only beein running 10 minutes. I skipped ahead a bit just to test myself today and did 4km in 27 minutes! Im very proud of myself!

Yep, Laura, the wagon! Am doing the NHS podcast. Must find an app or something to measure distance as I have no idea. Nearly died this morning when I discovered they leapt from running 8 mins to 20!!! I looked like I was hitting the marathon 'wall' at around the 15 minute mark but managed to do it. Go us!

Yep, Laura, the wagon! Am doing the NHS podcast. Must find an app or something to measure distance as I have no idea. Nearly died this morning when I discovered they leapt from running 8 mins to 20!!! I looked like I was hitting the marathon 'wall' at around the 15 minute mark but managed to do it. Go us!

I have Run Keeper and it measures distance. It's not 100% accurate, it's about 100 metres give or take. Yeah that wall does kill, but I feel if you just run past it it's fine! Im thinking of doing a bit of interval stuff no the nect run, just to give myself a break!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭JimmyCrackCorn

I'm currently using runmeter. Works as well as gps allows. Does mapping time heart rate pace and more than I will ever use

I have Run Keeper and it measures distance. It's not 100% accurate, it's about 100 metres give or take. Yeah that wall does kill, but I feel if you just run past it it's fine! Im thinking of doing a bit of interval stuff no the nect run, just to give myself a break!

Will check it out. Ta.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

Just registered for the race series 5m/8k :)

Just registered for the race series 5m/8k :)

Hi there,

Is it in the Phoenix Park? Does it have an official name? I downloaded the Runkeeper app so will try it tomorrow and see what I'm able for!

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

It's the Irish Runner 5 Mile, and it's on 30 June in the Phoenix Park (earlier than usual this year because of the new 10k out in Swords that has been added in July).

It's the Irish Runner 5 Mile, and it's on 30 June in the Phoenix Park (earlier than usual this year because of the new 10k out in Swords that has been added in July).

Thanks a mill. I'll see how I go but since I haven't even done a 5k yet I might be overdoing it a bit.

I volunteered at that race last year. Even if you have to run-walk sections of it, you'll be fine - we still had finishers coming through at around 80-90 minutes. Race day adrenaline will help on the day anyway :)

Would have done that 5miler but have foolishly signed up for an Urban Trail in Borris that day, a 10k Urban trail what's more :eek: don't know why I did that! Welcome back RK were you in Poznan?

Yeah, was over for the Croatia game. Early flight out this morning, it's been a long day!

I volunteered at that race last year. Even if you have to run-walk sections of it, you'll be fine - we still had finishers coming through at around 80-90 minutes. Race day adrenaline will help on the day anyway :)

I could have the distinction of coming last! Thanks a mill, will look into it.

Did a 6.5km loop this morn. At least I think that's the distance, really must get a proper tracking thingy. If a voice told me I had only 1km to go it might stop me easing off on the last hilly bit! Mind you, it might also result in me telling the voices to piss off! Anyone else doing any running?

• Advertisement

Did a 6.5km loop this morn. At least I think that's the distance, really must get a proper tracking thingy. If a voice told me I had only 1km to go it might stop me easing off on the last hilly bit! Mind you, it might also result in me telling the voices to piss off! Anyone else doing any running?

If you can, download the Runkeeper app. Timewilltell recommended it and I used it last night for the first time. It's great encouragement to hear your progress!

Advertisement