Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Loungers on the run: Couch to 5k to marathon and beyond

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

NCONTHEMC wrote: »
    Did a 6.5km loop this morn. At least I think that's the distance, really must get a proper tracking thingy. If a voice told me I had only 1km to go it might stop me easing off on the last hilly bit! Mind you, it might also result in me telling the voices to piss off! Anyone else doing any running?

Did 7.3k this morning. Did most of the loop of the 5m race series one, up the length of the furze road, up chesterfield avenue, cut across to go down the Kyber pass, up the hill behind magazine fort, through the S-bends, across the top of the triangle, up the hill at st. marys and then back to the car at the furze road via the top of the glen , the hill behind magazine fort and up past St. Marys are absolute killers. Feel good to have gotten up and done it though, I'd probably still be in bed until I have to go to work otherwise :o

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭timewilltell

Everyone's getting on great! I don't know if I explained this but myself and the running partner use the running track in the local GAA pitch. It's about 1.1km all around. We're now running 4 laps without stopping which we're delighted with.
    Yesterday we decided to go fro a morning run on the road instead. HOLY MOTHER OF GOD it was torture! We were only planning on doing aout 3km but we reached 2.5 and i genuinely thought the end was nigh! Think we were going a bit faster than we usually do though so not really that worried! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭NCONTHEMC

I should try running laps around the local pitch, would be easier on the joints....have a feeling I might be going for a run at 19.48 tonight or whenever Ireland concede their second goal to Spain, whichever comes first :mad:

I should try running laps around the local pitch, would be easier on the joints....have a feeling I might be going for a run at 19.48 tonight or whenever Ireland concede their second goal to Spain, whichever comes first :mad:

Yeah the surface is kinda gravelly (it is a word!) and it's designated for running/ walking. It is comprised of 2 smaller pitches and the big pitch, and it has loads of corners and markers that are handy, as each time we pass one we remind each other we are making more and more progress. Tonight we braved the elements and did 4.49 kilometres in 32 minutes. It is a little slow but I don't mind about that at all as it is the furthest we have ran so far! We were initially only going to run 4 but we added on that little extra and it really helps, as I can definitely see 5km being within reach! Im having a few difficulties with my breathing every now and again but nothing to worry about.

Anyone have any races coming up soon? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭Unregistered39

Yeah the surface is kinda gravelly (it is a word!) and it's designated for running/ walking. It is comprised of 2 smaller pitches and the big pitch, and it has loads of corners and markers that are handy, as each time we pass one we remind each other we are making more and more progress. Tonight we braved the elements and did 4.49 kilometres in 32 minutes. It is a little slow but I don't mind about that at all as it is the furthest we have ran so far! We were initially only going to run 4 but we added on that little extra and it really helps, as I can definitely see 5km being within reach! Im having a few difficulties with my breathing every now and again but nothing to worry about.

Anyone have any races coming up soon? :)

Did run three of week 6 of the NHS podcast. Five-minute warm up and 25 minutes running non-stop. Holy crap! Did it in the local park and the paths are just wrecked from the rain so I may have to head out to the running track in UCD. My incredibly slow pace was highlighted by the two lads who lapped me four times! My breathing is a bit of a problem too. I'm breathing in through my mouth way more than I should be and keep correcting myself.

I did it though and like you can see that elusive light at the end of the 5k-long tunnel! Must sign up for one to keep me motivated.

• Advertisement

Docklands 8k tomorrow night! Shoite, that came around fast! :eek: I nearly dehydrated at the Docklands 5k so am going to saunter round tomorrow:P that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it.... Anyone else running anywhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,862 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I'm doing the Docklands 8k tomorrow as well - or at least I hope I am! I wrecked my hip doing the MM, and haven't trained since. It'll either warm up and be fine tomorrow, or I won't make it past the 500 yard mark.

Honestly, if I manage to heave myself around this half-marathon in October, I'm seriously thinking I need to find some other way of keeping fit.....

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    I'm doing the Docklands 8k tomorrow as well - or at least I hope I am! I wrecked my hip doing the MM, and haven't trained since. It'll either warm up and be fine tomorrow, or I won't make it past the 500 yard mark.

Honestly, if I manage to heave myself around this half-marathon in October, I'm seriously thinking I need to find some other way of keeping fit.....

Yikes, hip sounds ow. Did you have physio? I have weak left hip, it's a constant battle to keep self moving! I'll keep an eye out for hobbling types tomorrow, I could be hobbling too! Hope they have water at the finish this time!:rolleyes:

Yikes, hip sounds ow. Did you have physio? I have weak left hip, it's a constant battle to keep self moving! I'll keep an eye out for hobbling types tomorrow, I could be hobbling too! Hope they have water at the finish this time!:rolleyes:

My sister is a physio, and I have her demented with my various ailments! I was hoping that this would settle down, but it hasn't really - I'll see what happens tomorrow and go and see someone about it after if it's still bad.

Very warm these days! Are there no water stations along the way? I haven't seen anything about where the start is or what the route is! (although I think ignorance is bliss as regards the route.....)

My sister is a physio, and I have her demented with my various ailments! I was hoping that this would settle down, but it hasn't really - I'll see what happens tomorrow and go and see someone about it after if it's still bad.

Very warm these days! Are there no water stations along the way? I haven't seen anything about where the start is or what the route is! (although I think ignorance is bliss as regards the route.....)

There was a water station at 3k last time BUT by the time I fell across the finish all the bottled water had gone!? And I finished in under half an hour, some bird handed me a mingin red bull but it was warm & totally disgusting :mad: Anyhoo the 8k goes out to Ringsend I think ? Actually I'm not even going to look into it too much, will only terrify self! :eek:

• Advertisement

There was a water station at 3k last time BUT by the time I fell across the finish all the bottled water had gone!? And I finished in under half an hour, some bird handed me a mingin red bull but it was warm & totally disgusting :mad: Anyhoo the 8k goes out to Ringsend I think ? Actually I'm not even going to look into it too much, will only terrify self! :eek:

That's a swizz! If they promise water, they should have enough. I got caught out twice in the GIR where they said they'd have water at the 7 or 8k mark, but didn't - I'd have carried a bottle from the previous station (about 5k) if I'd known, but the website and reality didn't meet :mad: I'll know the next time!!!

Agh good luck with the Docklands guys :)

Went out for a run yesterday evening, was feeling very unmotivated throughout. However I;m lucky in that my running mate is very enthusiastic and even though she was nursing a hangover, she was motivating me! We did 4.49 in a half an hour. Today we went out again and did around the same but slightly quicker! I honestly don't think I'd do it without her it's just a bit hard. I've found that we are now running at a speedier pace but we're still able to chat (which many experts say you should be able to do).

We're also adding on a little bit extra each day, as we achieved 3k quite quickly and easily, and now we've reached 4k, so we want to make 5k a real achievement!

Did it. It was hot. Was no water at 6k mark :mad:. Had to stop a few times as went off too fast (when will I learn?!). Stewards at every km marker shouting out the time since gun so that was very useful. Wrecked.ie today!

Anyone else do it? HeidiHeidi? You still in one piece? :eek:

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Well done :)

Happy with how you got on?

Well done :)

Happy with how you got on?

Yes, as finished under 50mins so pretty happy (48mins 33!)
    never done a road 8k before so was always going to be a personal best! Have to keep going now!:rolleyes:

Did it. It was hot. Was no water at 6k mark :mad:. Had to stop a few times as went off too fast (when will I learn?!). Stewards at every km marker shouting out the time since gun so that was very useful. Wrecked.ie today!

Anyone else do it? HeidiHeidi? You still in one piece? :eek:

Nope :mad:

Had to pull up before the 2K mark. I am beyond disgusted, and depressed. Have been told to REST, REST, REST until this hip sorts itself out (and get a physio to see can they see what the actual problem is). Trouble is, it's 16 weeks to the bloody half marathon - I don't have time to rest :eek:

It'll be the exercise bike, cross trainer and pool (if I can persuade myself) for the foreseeable for me :mad:

Nope :mad:

Had to pull up before the 2K mark. I am beyond disgusted, and depressed. Have been told to REST, REST, REST until this hip sorts itself out (and get a physio to see can they see what the actual problem is). Trouble is, it's 16 weeks to the bloody half marathon - I don't have time to rest :eek:

It'll be the exercise bike, cross trainer and pool (if I can persuade myself) for the foreseeable for me :mad:

Ah pants, so sorry to hear it. :( Off to physio with you, best of luck with it all. Keep us posted.

Ah pants, so sorry to hear it. :( Off to physio with you, best of luck with it all. Keep us posted.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Guys I love reading your posts, I find it very inspirational. Hopefully some of you more experienced runners can help me out with something.

I'm doing the c25k at the moment, only on Week 4 so very little running, I'm also about 3 st overweight which probably doesn't help :( I find I have the stamina but my legs - they are in bits!! Sometimes the pain in my calves is so bad I have to stop. I tend to do most of my running at night and go to bed soon after and in the mornings my legs are so sore its hard to walk.

I have proper running shoes, do the warm up so I don't really know what more I can do to prevent it. Is it the extra weight I am carrying?

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

Shin splints, you have to work through it. Took me 12 weeks of 3 times a week to get through it.

• Advertisement

It can sometimes help to massage your calves with a tennis ball, golf ball or sliotar. It'll help to loosen out the tight muscles a bit, but it's not the most pleasant thing while you're doing it. There will be some aches as the body settles into running, it's just part of getting used to it, but if there are sharp pains or you suspect an injury then get it checked out (doctor or physio).

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Thanks guys, its not sharp pains more like muscle ache or something. The only thing I can compare it to is the pain you get in your feet when you have been walking for ages.

Never thought of massage, I am prepared to give anything a go at this stage.

I had a feeling the only way to stop it was to keep running :D I guess I just have to keep going as I am and build myself up and it will happen in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭sara-lou

eviltwin;
    are you stretching after your run?? a great tip i found was using the shower hose on its fastest setting and shower your legs, itl loosen up your calves no end. Used to do it after football

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭sara-lou

eviltwin;
    are you stretching after your run?? a great tip i found was using the shower hose on its fastest setting and shower your legs, itl loosen up your calves no end. Used to do it after football

sara-lou wrote: »
    eviltwin;

A hot shower is an absolute must after a run IMO. Well I couldn't move the next day without a hot shower, but then I am pretty old ..... Anyone running at the mo? I've had a sick toddler who then kindly passed bug on to me so have been sleeping instead of running.... Maybe tomorrow......:rolleyes:

Raced a 10k on Saturday night. Finished in a hair over 50 minutes. Don't think I've ever been so gutted at a 2 minute PB.

Raced a 10k on Saturday night. Finished in a hair over 50 minutes. Don't think I've ever been so gutted at a 2 minute PB.

:eek::eek: eh hello? 10k in 50mins? Does. Not. Compute. Are you disappointed because you didn't get in under the 50min mark? I didn't even know 10ks CAME in 50minute packages..... Tell you what why don't we both sign up for a 10k this summer, then I'll just ask you kindly to run the race with MY number pinned on top of yours! I'll be waiting at finish line with ice cream/ water/ crisps/*insert favourite snack here. :D:D:D

Seriously though if you got a PB aren't you a little hard on yourself ? <<<steps away from the laptop>>>

My previous PB was very soft - set in really bad conditions 2 years ago. Had been hoping for 48-49 mins, but it wasn't to be. Going to do the Fingal 10k in July and try again, just to try and get that goal out of the way.

This 10k had strawberries at the end. A certain cheeky fecker pinched most of them on me :p

Well Done Heidi and NCOMTHEMC. Heidi, at least you started the race that's something! Hope the injury is improving. Also Rainbow Kirby.. 10km is but a dream to me.

And thus I would like to announce.... 5km has been ran for the first time! Woo! Myself and the running partner finally did it this evening. Took 35 minutes but we were quite consistent overall which we are very happy with! We did it!!!

• Advertisement

My previous PB was very soft - set in really bad conditions 2 years ago. Had been hoping for 48-49 mins, but it wasn't to be. Going to do the Fingal 10k in July and try again, just to try and get that goal out of the way.

This 10k had strawberries at the end. A certain cheeky fecker pinched most of them on me :p

Strawberries?! There's posh... Still, I think you should do dun Laoghaire 10k and see my post above, I could be waiting on the line with chocolate AND strawberries..... Seriously though, why are we so hard on ourselves? As I came over the line last week I thought to myself, "crap could have done better" AND I was retching!!! My spirit is Olympic standard, shame about my legs, lungs, hip flexors etc etc etc :P

Advertisement