Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Loungers on the run: Couch to 5k to marathon and beyond

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭flossie

I'm going to jump in and say hi....been runnign on and off (more off!) for a few years. Injury took me out for a couple of years but i'm back now since January time. Found a running partner, adn we did an hour and a half run on Sunday morning....was glorious! Damn hard work and i was a little heavy legged on the last couple of km, but so glad i did it (and an hour and a half walk in the afternoon to stretch!). I'm running to tone up, get healthy, lose a little weight (yet still allow myself treats) and also helping on the recovery from bulimia. It's working so far :)

I'm based in the South East and want to start entering some 10km races - is there a website i can check where races are?

Edited to add: Got new runners form the Asics shop in Kildare Village - Asics Landreth, they are like running on air! Pain has drastically reduced, as has callouses (pretty!) on my big toes!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭JimmyCrackCorn

Ups and downs.

Been a big slacker for 3 days before hitting the road again. Moved house so tried a new route.

So far:

Was doing well doing week 5 over beach road and with lots of hills, before moving.

Runs with horrible shin splints from running down hill. Running through is a bad idea it just gets worse

Started circuit training tore up some mussel, have a aches and pains pretty much everywhere

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

Any one doing hell and back in bray, looks like great fun.

http://www.hellandback.ie/Hell-and-Back-Location.html

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Pomplamousse

Any one doing hell and back in bray, looks like great fun.

http://www.hellandback.ie/Hell-and-Back-Location.html

Hadn't heard of it til now, but it looks like so much fun, thanks for the link:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

flossie wrote: »

I'm based in the South East and want to start entering some 10km races - is there a website i can check where races are?

Hi, Flossie

The events calendar on the Run Ireland website shows all the races around the country

http://www.runireland.com/events

• Advertisement

Hadn't heard of it til now, but it looks like so much fun, thanks for the link:D

Im signing up for it later today, no one will do it with me :( .

it looks like great fun and hard work, ive always wanted to do an army assult course and now i get my chance.....

Edit: I just signed up for it... early bird entry is 33 euro after that its 45 euro... cant wait, have to get some training in, kick boxking should help with that :D

Yikes, just signed up for it too!!! Thanks for the link, looks awesome!

[Quoute=flossie;79812249]Yikes, just signed up for it too!!! Thanks for the link, looks awesome![/Quote]
    Yeah, I'll see you up there, will pm you closser to the time if you want too, but I'll properly be at the back of the pack, not a great runner but ok at obstacles...

I'm the other way around! Maybe we could get some LL training sessions in! I have also signed up for the Kilomarathon 10k in Moone on 11th August....i am running more than that already but just want to keep the motivation going as much as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭NCONTHEMC

Hello runners! I've fallen off the running wagon since the kids got summer holidays. Struggled through an urban trail 10k at end of June (came second last, yay me :( ) went away for a week and have only done a 4k loop since then. Am worried I'll have lost any fitness I previously had :mad:Anyway will struggle on, have Dun Laoghaire 10k to come in August :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

NCONTHEMC wrote: »
    Hello runners! I've fallen off the running wagon since the kids got summer holidays. Struggled through an urban trail 10k at end of June (came second last, yay me :( ) went away for a week and have only done a 4k loop since then. Am worried I'll have lost any fitness I previously had :mad:Anyway will struggle on, have Dun Laoghaire 10k to come in August :rolleyes:

I did 10 k. Today for the fun if it, took about 1h 15... I was sweating though.

Cynder formally know as grindelwald....

cynder wrote: »

Good woman, 10k is like the Holy Grail to me! Am aiming to get up to about 8k in training and hope adrenaline kicks in for the other 2k! Scientific approach!
    :eek: ps you'll always be Grindelwald ! Did you drag your daughter round 10k too?!

Good woman, 10k is like the Holy Grail to me! Am aiming to get up to about 8k in training and hope adrenaline kicks in for the other 2k! Scientific approach!
    :eek: ps you'll always be Grindelwald ! Did you drag your daughter round 10k too?!

No she is in Dublin with her auntie... Had my beloved iPod though listening to some good tunes... :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

Well done, Grindelwald - that's a massive improvement from the mini-marathon 6 weeks ago! I'll now have to get used to your new name, I'll prob have to think Cinderella...

I did 8.5km on Friday evening, 6km on Saturday morning, 14km on Sunday morning and about 7km this morning. Tomorrow is my rest day! I was delighted with Sudnay's run, knocked off 3 minutes from last Sunday's time - 1.22. Legs feeling surprisingly OK, was good to stretch out this morning.

flossie wrote: »
    I did 8.5km on Friday evening, 6km on Saturday morning, 14km on Sunday morning and about 7km this morning. Tomorrow is my rest day! I was delighted with Sudnay's run, knocked off 3 minutes from last Sunday's time - 1.22. Legs feeling surprisingly OK, was good to stretch out this morning.

:( I think you've just guilted me into a run this evening! :pac:

Lol, i've just eaten a packet of white chocolate buttons to help undo some of the work! I'm lucky that i've got a running partner i met randomly so we cpur each other on :)

:( I think you've just guilted me into a run this evening! :pac:
    Did a hilly 5k last night, bloody weather is killing me, if I'm not suffering with the hay fever I'm half dead cos of the heat. Summer me a**e :mad:

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I've been suffering brutally with hayfever the last few days too (had to stop my run on Sunday 5km into a 20km run because I just couldn't take a deep breath at all)... kinda hoping that the rain this evening has dropped the pollen out of the air because I want to do speedwork tomorrow!

I've been suffering brutally with hayfever the last few days too (had to stop my run on Sunday 5km into a 20km run because I just couldn't take a deep breath at all)... kinda hoping that the rain this evening has dropped the pollen out of the air because I want to do speedwork tomorrow!

Did fit for life session at local track, couldn't face sprints so did long aerobic one instead. Wrecked BUT pollen didn't bother me as rain overnight had dampened things down. Result. Nose is not running at all but one eye :eek: is really itchy?! :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭sunshine and showers

I've been contemplating doing C25K for the longest time - just need to find the motivation to actually get myself out the door!

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Morgase

sunshine and showers, just get out there and do it! Now is the best time of year to start and get in the habit, imo. Long daylight hours and when it rains at least it's warm rain on you :pac:

I'm just back from a bit of a jog, started a few weeks ago. Had to take a small break as hayfever knocked me for six but back into it now again. I bought some gear from Lidl (so relatively cheap) and have convinced myself that I need to exercise a lot so that it wasn't a waste of money :o

I'm really loving the running clothes as it's so good at wicking away the sweat. The first couple of weeks running I wore a cotton tshirt and tracksuit pants and they got so heavy and uncomfortable. Yes, I am a Sweaty Betty.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭sunshine and showers

Morgase wrote: »
    sunshine and showers, just get out there and do it! Now is the best time of year to start and get in the habit, imo. Long daylight hours and when it rains at least it's warm rain on you :pac:

I'm just back from a bit of a jog, started a few weeks ago. Had to take a small break as hayfever knocked me for six but back into it now again. I bought some gear from Lidl (so relatively cheap) and have convinced myself that I need to exercise a lot so that it wasn't a waste of money :o

I'm really loving the running clothes as it's so good at wicking away the sweat. The first couple of weeks running I wore a cotton tshirt and tracksuit pants and they got so heavy and uncomfortable. Yes, I am a Sweaty Betty.

Ok, I will start it then. There's actually no rain where I am (not in Ireland for the summer), so I've absolutely no excuse!:p

I'll report back! :D

40 minute run this morning, went from my parents house and took a different route. Was glorious - the time flew, the sun was shining, the country roads were peaceful, colours amazing and the smells were great. Really enjoyed it, and could have carried on for longer. I'm doing somehting in life coaching at the moment called 'practice the presence' where i focus on something right there, right now, for a few minutes to escape the pressure of everything, and just lately i have been using my running to do that - looking at what i see, smell, hear etc. and i find it relaxes me. We sure as hell live in a wonderful part of the world!

Went for a 50 min stroll this evening, managed 7k. Weather was fab, a few midges out though :( they must have been attracted to my yellow vest.

Going to do 10k tomorrow evening if it's good, emerdale, corrie and eastenders can go take a hike, have my route planned out all I need is for the sun to shine, gonna try and do it in 1 hour 15...in fact i Will try to beat it.

Did fit for life session at local track, couldn't face sprints so did long aerobic one instead. Wrecked BUT pollen didn't bother me as rain overnight had dampened things down. Result. Nose is not running at all but one eye :eek: is really itchy?! :confused:

I got 2 gnats in my eye and a few flew in my mouth :(

I got 2 gnats in my eye and a few flew in my mouth :(

Ah yeah, tasty buggers. That happens to me all the time, I like to think of it as added protein. You're doing great, I will defo run tomorrow morning :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I started the C25K last week with my OH. Am about to do W2D2 tomorrow. I'm starting to really enjoy it. It's hard, and I'm probably running more slowly that I'd walk, but I feel great after each session. Am actually looking forward to the run tomorrow! Aiming to be able to run 5K in 30 minutes by the end of it, and eventually 10K in an hour :).

Although I am really struggling with the humidity! I find it hard to breathe properly, and I finish up absolutely drenched in sweat.

Going to my parents again tomorrow morning to do another run around there - hoping the weather holds out. Felt very good with myself today afetr the mornign run, although the sun meant i wasn't overly motivated in work, and now sat in my office doing a bit of catch up (benefits of working form home ;)). I did go up Mount Leinster this evening with the dog and brother to treat myself to a takeout - probably had four of them in two years, so it's justified. It's a big achievement to be able to eat one at the moment, so go me :)

Will update tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

Faith wrote: »
    I started the C25K last week with my OH. Am about to do W2D2 tomorrow. I'm starting to really enjoy it. It's hard, and I'm probably running more slowly that I'd walk, but I feel great after each session. Am actually looking forward to the run tomorrow! Aiming to be able to run 5K in 30 minutes by the end of it, and eventually 10K in an hour :).

Although I am really struggling with the humidity! I find it hard to breathe properly, and I finish up absolutely drenched in sweat.

Yeah I find it easier to run in the winter. The air just feels so heavy or something in the summer time.

Best of luck with C25k - it's a brilliant program :D

Advertisement