Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Loungers on the run: Couch to 5k to marathon and beyond

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭JimmyCrackCorn

lola.bella wrote: »
    Hi

I am total c25k lucker but never actually do it(in awe of ye).. I tried day 1 and gave up, useless.. feel totally stupid running / walking etc with all these amazing people gliding past me.. Did anyone feel embarrassed when they started?

Don't let that discourage you. Everyone has to start somewhere. What worked for me was the 10K runner app as it stops me overdoing things and pushing too hard too quickly and feeling like crap.

Yes i felt a little self concious but I jog at night and feel more comfortable. I had to give myself no choice but to do it and now seeing any improvement is enough to keep me going. (I also keep a photo of my full beer belly while holding a mars bar in my phone)

I have tried many times to run before and failed every-time as I tried to take on too much too soon.

As for looking good while running im the guy holding his knees regretting every kebab, pitza order and snack box at 4am.

APPS:
    http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/10k-runner-couch-to-5k-to/id456591673?mt=8 (overpriced but works great for me. Run, Walk, Your haf way there, Cooldown on top of my music. Perfectly for me)
    http://www.abvio.com/runmeter/ (i only bought it as i want to log route and pace, im not good enough to get value out of it yet.)

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭NCONTHEMC

Thanks for your quick response.
    Unfortunately this will be my first race so I won't be able to prove my times. When I go to collect my number I will inquire about being moved up to the fast joggers category but I won't be too hopeful about them allowing it. At least I know now what to expect and won't be too disappointed if I don't make the hour mark.
    Think I will definitely be grateful for the firemen hosing everyone, I hate running in the sun so my family and friends are not too happy that I'm hoping for rain on the June bank holiday weekend! Thanks again:)

Hi! I walked it last year and the crowd was massive and am running it this year but have no sub 70 min 10k proof so am going to be lumbered in with the walkers too. TBH am not going to even think about the finish time too much as think the crowd will be too big to allow for speedy time. Will attempt better time at another 10k later in summer. If you check out the Flora Mini M Facebook page you might get an email address there? If you want to change category am pretty sure you would need a sub 70min time at an accredited race..... Good luck!

Hi

I am total c25k lucker but never actually do it(in awe of ye).. I tried day 1 and gave up, useless.. feel totally stupid running / walking etc with all these amazing people gliding past me.. Did anyone feel embarrassed when they started?

I used to always run in residential area in evenings (in the dark!) in order to minimise chances of seeing :eek:(even worse, BEING seen by :eek:) someone I knew! it used to kill me to run 3 mins, used to think I was going to die, heart would clank alarmingly against ribs, thought I'd faint cos wasn't able to get enough oxygen into lungs etc etc. I just made sure I had some fave music on iPod and that seemed to really distract me. The only way for me to do it was to just do it, I loathe exercising and never did any sport so if I can do it you defo can. Good luck!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Guys you are all so inspiring. I did the C25K last year, got to week 6 and then busted my ankle. Have tried to get back into it but its hard to fit it in around work and kids and things. I just bought "Run Fat Bitch Run" so hopefully that will give me the kick up the arse I need to get back into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭saraocallaghan

Hi

I was exactly the same when I started! I used to run with my head down and a baseball cap on!! (I can't do that anymore because as I exercise more, it seems like my blood runs hotter & I sweat so quickly!) I used to think that I had had the worst run in the world as both my knees turn in. But my dad watched me run one day (he trains a rugby team up at home) and he said that I looked absolutely fine. I still run really slowly but I look at the people running around me on the Green in Dublin and I don't feel embarrassed anymore. I'm one of them, just running really slowly! :) Everyone is different and I know when I pass other runners, they give me a nod or a thumbs up.

And if you think that people are looking at you, going "look at her, only running for 60 seconds" no one will know! You'll be gone past them and they won't know. And when you stop for a walk, they don't know that it was only 60 seconds running, for all they know you are at the end of your daily 10k and are cooling down.

I say go for it, take it so slowly and easy and in no time at all you'll be doing 5k.

No one will notice you, I promise!

• Advertisement

Hi EvilTwin! I have 2 kids, one who insists on sleeping in my bed nearly every blinking night, he's a loveable fella but is waaaaay too fond of mama! He's also the main reason I've been running recently, it gets me away from kids, husband and house, win,win,win!!!!! Good luck getting back into it!

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

NCONTHEMC wrote: »
    I used to always run in residential area in evenings (in the dark!) in order to minimise chances of seeing :eek:(even worse, BEING seen by :eek:) someone I knew!
    I was the same when I started running - I was about 4 stone overweight and running for more than 2-3 minutes at a time was enough to make me want to keel over! I ran in the evenings, wearing an old football jersey and tracksuit bottoms, in a park near my house which was well away from the road. Doing a race (my first 5k, Rathfarnham in 2008) gave me confidence though - mostly because I realised I wasn't the fattest or the slowest person there and nobody else cared how red my face was (seriously, it matched my Man U jersey) or how hard I was breathing.

I was the same when I started running - I was about 4 stone overweight and running for more than 2-3 minutes at a time was enough to make me want to keel over! I ran in the evenings, wearing an old football jersey and tracksuit bottoms, in a park near my house which was well away from the road. Doing a race (my first 5k, Rathfarnham in 2008) gave me confidence though - mostly because I realised I wasn't the fattest or the slowest person there and nobody else cared how red my face was (seriously, it matched my Man U jersey) or how hard I was breathing.

You must be delighted with yourself RK, from being 4 stone overweight to running half marathons?!!! Bloody hell, I'd take my cap off to you if I had one! Unfortunately, now that I know you are a Man U fan I'm going to have to ignore your posts from now on!! Ah no seriously, good luck (through gritted teeth) wresting the title off Man C......:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Pomplamousse

Hi! I walked it last year and the crowd was massive and am running it this year but have no sub 70 min 10k proof so am going to be lumbered in with the walkers too. TBH am not going to even think about the finish time too much as think the crowd will be too big to allow for speedy time. Will attempt better time at another 10k later in summer. If you check out the Flora Mini M Facebook page you might get an email address there? If you want to change category am pretty sure you would need a sub 70min time at an accredited race..... Good luck!

Thanks, have just sent them a message on facebook on the off chance they'd let me switch, but I'm not too hopeful at all!

On the subject of being embarrassed when running, I was the exact same when I started. Was convinced people were staring at me while I panted past them, I still get laughed at when I get home from a run with my beetroot coloured face, but I really don't care anymore. I just stopped caring after about a week of running. If anyone ran past me while walking down a street, I wouldn't think twice about thinking they look a state, would just admire them for actively trying to improve their fitness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Me! Did you do the half marathon :eek: ? Good for you re running bug, am still waiting for it to get me :cool: I have been slacking off on the running so signed up for Docklands to eh, motivate myself. Have you done Docklands before? A friend did it last year and loved it cos it was flat!!

Nah I just did the 10k. It was a big achievement for me though as It was the longest distance I have ever run in my life!
    I decided that I had to sign up for something straight away after Sunday, or otherwise I would lose my fitness. I find it very difficult to train without a goal to motivate me, Hence signing up for the Docklands run.
    I've never done the Docklands before, but the idea of running in Dublin city centre in the evening time sounds like it will be a lot of fun.
    When I originally signed up I hadn't done much running so wasn't sure how my training would go, so I chose the slowest possible category after walkers (can't remember the exact name, joggers maybe). Training has gone well enough though and I am hoping to run the 10km in roughly 1 hour. I've heard now though that people in the category I am in get put in the same starting area as the walkers, and so can get held up quite a bit at the beginning due to all the crowds, is this true? Are the crowds really that bad? How long roughly would it take to break through and run at my own pace?
    (I know it is primarily a race for raising money for charity rather than a serious competition, but I would still like to do my best).

Why don't you just go into the joggers section on the day? I've never done the mini marathon before but they will be so busy I doubt anyone will stop you from going into that section.
    Hi

Yes 100%. You just have to stop focusing on other people and just focus 100% on yourself. Focus on your breathing,focus on the music your listening too and focus on getting fit. If I was you I would sign myself up for a 5k run, and that will keep you motivated and focused to keep going.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

You must be delighted with yourself RK, from being 4 stone overweight to running half marathons?!!! Bloody hell, I'd take my cap off to you if I had one! Unfortunately, now that I know you are a Man U fan I'm going to have to ignore your posts from now on!! Ah no seriously, good luck (through gritted teeth) wresting the title off Man C......:cool:

As well as half marthons, RK has run 3 full marathons and went under 4 hrs last year ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Pomplamousse

panda100 wrote: »
    Why don't you just go into the joggers section on the day? I've never done the mini marathon before but they will be so busy I doubt anyone will stop you from going into that section.

I've never run the mini marathon either but I was under the impression that you would only be able to enter each section based on the colour of your race number. The organisers got back to me anyway saying I would need proof of my race time from another race to be allowed switch categories, as expected really, oh well.

menoscemo wrote: »
    As well as half marthons, RK has run 3 full marathons and went under 4 hrs last year ;)

Ah ffs, RK is practically Sonia O Sullivan!! Or do I mean Catherina McKiernan??!!! Either way I'm still mighty impressed.... Shame about the Man U affiliation tho!:P

Ran for about 5k, into the wind and it was sh1t. Feel wrecked! Am beginning to wonder if perhaps running isn't for me. I need some exercise plan that doesn't require quite so much effort :p anyone else off the couch or are you all hungover?!

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Being hungover and running are not mutually exclusive :) An easy run can help to sweat the beer out...

Windy days are a bit crap for running. Last 4 miles of mine today into a headwind over rolling hills, felt like running on the spot at times.

Am not au fait with the easy run - is there any such thing?! Have tender spot above left knee cap, am on sofa. There's a chance I'll never move again:eek:

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭jenizzle

I just started the C25K from the NHS website, and I'm finding it great! I've been trying to sort myself out the last few months, but had been doing strength and HIIT stuff, but now it's time to get some endurance going. Might aim towards a race maybe at the start of Autumn :eek:

Hi Jenizzle! Welcome to the couch to 5k world, hope you enjoy it. I aim to enjoy it too, some day :o am pretty sure I have slightly tweaked my knee so am going to skip Pilates and see how knee feels tomorrow. Might take tomorrow off from running and go back to it on wednesday. Am doing mini marathon on June bank hol weekend so need to get moving. Eek :eek:

Hi Jenizzle! Welcome to the couch to 5k world, hope you enjoy it. I aim to enjoy it too, some day :o am pretty sure I have slightly tweaked my knee so am going to skip Pilates and see how knee feels tomorrow. Might take tomorrow off from running and go back to it on wednesday. Am doing mini marathon on June bank hol weekend so need to get moving. Eek :eek:

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭jenizzle

Thankoo :) I'm coughin' like mad all day today, chest is in bits now. Dunno whether to head out and potentially make it worse, or stay in and feel bad for not going out :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭Unregistered39

jenizzle wrote: »
    I just started the C25K from the NHS website, and I'm finding it great! I've been trying to sort myself out the last few months, but had been doing strength and HIIT stuff, but now it's time to get some endurance going. Might aim towards a race maybe at the start of Autumn :eek:

Me too! Am on third run of first week tomorrow. Really hope I keep this up as I'm a devil for starting things and getting bored/making excuses. Must invest in good sports bra though...

• Moderators Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

Right so I went for a 5.6km walk this evening to ease myself in, attempted a brief jog, but wasn't feeling right on the knee, so I'll persist with the walking for the time being until I get back into the swing of exercise.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

Haven't posted in here in ages but feel the need to vent :(

Haven't been able to run decently for ages and it looks like that's not going to change anytime soon.
    Latest MRI showed the L4 & L5 vertebrae are very worn (Doc used the word was 'crumbling' :eek:) and impinging on the nerve causing the sciatica I've had for months now. Can't run more than a couple of miles and then only on a treadmill or flat, level, soft surface. Been going to physio and little improvement. Doc reckons it has to get worse before they can do anything more with it.

:mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭Unregistered39

These stories are worrying! Did my third Cto5k run this morning and lower shins/ankles are bothering me. Hoping it's just using bits of me I've never used before but will be taking it handy...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

paperclip2 wrote: »
    Haven't posted in here in ages but feel the need to vent :(

Haven't been able to run decently for ages and it looks like that's not going to change anytime soon.
    Latest MRI showed the L4 & L5 vertebrae are very worn (Doc used the word was 'crumbling' :eek:) and impinging on the nerve causing the sciatica I've had for months now. Can't run more than a couple of miles and then only on a treadmill or flat, level, soft surface. Been going to physio and little improvement. Doc reckons it has to get worse before they can do anything more with it.

:mad::mad:

Poor paperclip,am really sorry to hear that! Just wondering If the doc said what caused it?

My sympathy is going your way paperclip2 how frustrating for you, are you having a lot of physio? Take care.

Did a hilly 7.5k approx this morn. Totally wrecked. And the sun shone! At least I presume it was the sun, some yellow thing in the sky......

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Smashhits

Ok I've just started the C25K on Sunday.....don't know how long I'll be able to keep it up but going to give it a shot. My 1 question is running shoes...any particular recommendations? Never really ran before in my life (unless being chased by a big dog counts:D) so I'm not sure what I should be looking for. As funds are pretty stretched I don't want to spend a fortune.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,805 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

OhGodohGodohGodohGod - I've done it again. Trailed my training off to nothing in the lead up to a race. Doing the Docklands run on Tuesday, and haven't run a step in about two weeks (was up to over 6k at that point). Am now nearly afraid to start up again in case it sends my hip/calves into overdrive.

Why do I always, always do this???

Think I'll just leave it now and do my worst on Tuesday evening. And I had hoped to do well (for me!).

To the previous poster (sorry, can't see your name while typing this) - into Elvery's on Suffolk Street, or Runways on Parnell Street, or Amphibian King in Bray (I think, never been there but have used the other two) with you, get your gait analysed, and you'll be recommended a suitable shoe. Won't necessarily be the most expensive one, but don't skimp!

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭saraocallaghan

Smashhits wrote: »
    Ok I've just started the C25K on Sunday.....don't know how long I'll be able to keep it up but going to give it a shot. My 1 question is running shoes...any particular recommendations? Never really ran before in my life (unless being chased by a big dog counts:D) so I'm not sure what I should be looking for. As funds are pretty stretched I don't want to spend a fortune.

Your shoes are the most important thing you are going to buy. I'd recommend going to get a gait analysis done, in somewhere like Amphibian King in Bray or Ballymount. Don't go into Champion sports or similar, they won't know what to tell you.

Runners are not cheap but you might be able to get them on sale

• Advertisement

Or get the gait analysis done and tell them you'll be back to get the shoes another time. Then, I've heard, theres a thing called the Internet, where you can buy shoes online and hopefully cheaper. I'm not recommending this of course, just saying ...........

Advertisement