Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Loungers on the run: Couch to 5k to marathon and beyond

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

panda100 wrote: »
    Poor paperclip,am really sorry to hear that! Just wondering If the doc said what caused it?

Thanks. Doc reckons its general wear and tear aggravated by a few different injuries over the years.
    It's a pain, literally and figuratively. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Right, started this on Tuesday, I'm rubbish at running but we do have a treadmill... I enjoyed the Ullrey podcasts and I think the boyfriend was relieved I was cursing Ullrey rather than him when I starting finding it tough! On wards we go! Will run again this eve for w1d3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Thinking of getting the gait analysis done as suggested on here. Theres an offer on livingsocial at the moment to get this done with bodymechanix?Anyone ever used them before, are they any good?

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭NCONTHEMC

Thinking of getting the gait analysis done as suggested on here. Theres an offer on livingsocial at the moment to get this done with bodymechanix?Anyone ever used them before, are they any good?

Sorry Panda100, never used bodymechanix, in fact, not sure I've ever heard of them?! Did a 6.5k yest, with a small break at 1.5k to wait for my run partner. She had new Brooke's on following a gait analysis at AmphibianKing and said she felt like she was bouncing along!! docklands 5k tomorrow, bring it on (but not too much warmth or sun please, the shock to my system might prove fatal!!!):cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,021 ✭✭✭✭tk123

From their FB
    "Its our one year anniversary here in Eastpoint!...to celebrate we are having a FREE assessment day...dodgy knees backs,necks,posture.....all injuries welcome!....we will also be doing gaitscan/feet analysis and acupuncture....tell friends,family and book an appointment ASAP.......9am-6pm Monday 27th June."

I've used them and found Shane really good. Don't know what I'm going to do now as I worked around the corner from him in East Point until I was redundant a couple of weeks ago!

The only thing I'll say is that the TOG orthotics they do are expensive - mine were €300-350 :eek: But they stopped me being in pain so worth it for me. I have ones I got in Eleverys for €45 for spares or say if I'm taking my dog to the beach and now I'll get wet feet :pac: and find them really good as well so maybe try these first?

Anyhoos I've done 2 days so far of c25k :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Popsy

hi all,

I didn't realise this thread was here. Delighted to see so many people all with similar stories to myself.

I'm doing my first 5k tomorrow (Docklands) and I'm terrified. I completed the NHS C25K a few weeks ago and have only managed to run the full 5k once since. I've been suffering with a sore IT band ( I think thats what its called) so haven't been able to get out as much as I'd like and as such the nerves are getting the better of me now.

On the plus side, we have sunshine forecast for tomorrow evenings run :)

Popsy wrote: »
    hi all,

I didn't realise this thread was here. Delighted to see so many people all with similar stories to myself.

I'm doing my first 5k tomorrow (Docklands) and I'm terrified. I completed the NHS C25K a few weeks ago and have only managed to run the full 5k once since. I've been suffering with a sore IT band ( I think thats what its called) so haven't been able to get out as much as I'd like and as such the nerves are getting the better of me now.

On the plus side, we have sunshine forecast for tomorrow evenings run :)

Don't be terrified popsy!Just do the best you can do. I find that on the day of the race you get really get caught up in the atmosphere and adrenaline of all the other runners, it really gives you that extra push.

Good few of us doing the docklands run tommorow.I'll be the lanky blonde looking red and out of breath after the first km :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,805 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I'll be there too!

But in addition to having ground to a halt on the training front, I've gone and got a cold now as well.

Tomorrow evening will most certainly NOT be one of my better runs.

However, the sun will be shining (hopefully), I won't need thermals on, and from reports of previous years it's a blast and a lovely flat course - so see y'all there :D

• Moderators Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

After a few stints of walking over the last week or so, I attempted W1D1 of C25K tonight. As I've had trouble with my knee I decided to do it on the treadmill and kept it at a slow pace to ease my joints back into the movement - walking at 3mph and running at 3.6-3.8mph.
    I'll admit it wasn't as hard as the first time I attempted this program so that is a major plus. :D

There was also a mini experiment, while out walking I was getting numb feet/toes and I had the same issue last time I did C25K, I've had a gait analysis done and I've a neutral gait (YAY!) but I've a fecking dodgy knee and I think that over the course of the 'run' my gait changes, as my feet accommodate my stoopid knee movements. On the nagging advice of the bf, I actually ran barefoot on the treadmill to see if that made any difference, and low and behold it does! There was no numbness, no unusual pain and no clicking in my knee or pain in my ankle or shins, considering I'm heavier now than when I first did this program I was expecting serious pain and huffing and puffing and so on, but there wasn't any.
    I may have to consider those vibram shoes he is raving about so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,021 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Oh while I think of it - if anyone needs runners check out javari.co.uk - they have offers on all the time and you can pick up some really good bargains. Day 3 of week one for me tomorrow! I :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,805 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

How did all the Docklands runners get on? I chickened out, took myself and my cold to bed :mad:

I'll make the 8K one if it kills me!

Went really well. It was such a lovely evening for a run,and the docklands is such a nice part of Dublin. I was quite pleased with my time,around 28minutes.

Anyone else have any runs coming up?

• Registered Users Posts: 20 RainbowDrops

Started week one last Friday, have to say the first day didn't go to well. Got about half way through it and had to stop because I was crippled with a stitch.. Was mortified to say the least and wanted to completely give up :o But I tried again two days later and I actually managed to complete the whole thing, so I was very happy. Just finished week 1 day 2 today and although it's still hard work I do feel like I'm (very slowly) getting somewhere :)

Thanks to everyone who posts in here, it's very motivating and is exactly what helped me to try again after the disaster of a first time :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Back running tomorrow after a looooong...break. Now that college is over for the summer need to get fit again :) Can't wait to whip out my new ipod nano yay!

Doing a 10k on the 14th of July so that's something to aim for I guess..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭JimmyCrackCorn

Making progress but its slow and painful. May be due to my fondness for beer and turning 30.

Im old now.

Hey Runners!
    Well done all on getting off the couch!
    I did Docklands last night and am delighted to have got in under the 30mins, 29.38! A personal best for me. Delighted cos 1) I is old 2) have a croupy toddler so am seriously sleep deprived. Weather really helped but I had worn my under armour top so was way too hot but nice flat ish course so am delighted I dragged myself in to do it.

JimmyCC? 30? You are only a young wan. I hit 40 this year and am determined not to let it hold me back, you have no excuse. Mind you I can't drink alcohol anymore to save my life so perhaps I AM REALLY old?!!!

Lia Lia good on you! Panda100 excellent time. Heidi don't worry, that cold will be well gone for the 8k!!!!

There were a good few white t shirted folks at the race last night, on the back of the t shirts it said "I might be slow but I'm still ahead of you" :P I thank a lot of them for my PB!

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭timewilltell

I feel so motivated just by reading this thread!

I've only taken up running in the last few months. SO far Im only really averaging 2 kilometres without falling to the ground in a heap but I am also in the process of giving up cigarettes so I think it might all come together soon.

Seiously addicted though, and I feel I could be up to 3km in maybe a month. COuch to 5k has been excellent, very easy to follow.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,206 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Beautiful day out there, will have to go out for a run later. Don't forget the sun block.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

Small sign of improvement at last. Did a mile and a half in 14 mins last night without major back pain. Even better, I could stand up straight this morning without Difene. :)
    Victory!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭JimmyCrackCorn

Birthday week and I have been a big slacker. Only got out once during the week.

Currently away on business so using that as an excuse to do nothing till Tuesday.

I could lie to myself and say that I surfed Saturday. Need to step it up :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

1 week countdown the the flora mini marathon, booked my self into the maldron for the weekend. Anyone else walking the flora mini marathon?

I cant run, after 100 meters i go dizzy and weak, i have low bp and i think running lowers my bp and makes me all funny, ive came close to fainting a few times, but stop before i do. I cant jog either after around 600 meters i have to same thing happen to me as when i run 100 meters..

Ive raised 241 euro for diabetes ireland thanks to my hubby for helping out at his work..

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

1 week countdown the the flora mini marathon, booked my self into the maldron for the weekend. Anyone else walking the flora mini marathon?

I cant run, after 100 meters i go dizzy and weak, i have low bp and i think running lowers my bp and makes me all funny, ive came close to fainting a few times, but stop before i do. I cant jog either after around 600 meters i have to same thing happen to me as when i run 100 meters..

Ive raised 241 euro for diabetes ireland thanks to my hubby for helping out at his work..

Yeah I'm walking it with the mammy. I'm too heavy right now to run - destroys the knees. Tbh I'm kinda dreading it as all the crowds will just make it a pain in the bum, but I've already agreed and got my sponsors *sigh*

I might be seeing you there!

look out for race numbers 28259 and 28260 My self and my daughter... IM going to try to stick to the back of the back so i wont get crowded, what charity did you go for?

Fair play to you doing it with bad knees, hope they will be ok at the end... take it wasy and enjoy the day, thats what i plan to do :D

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

We're walking for Brainwave. Ah my knees are fine the vast majority of the time, it's just the running that makes them go poopy. Considering I'm only 20 now, I'm not looking forward to my old age :(

Good on you mini marathoners! Am going to attempt to run most of it but haven't run a 10k since LAST year so eh, we'll see. Am raising money for a local charity so will do my best. Haven't run since last week so seriously need to give myself a severe talking to! Fabulous weather =no exercising. Doh.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

I'll be running it :) My brother bet me on January 1st that I wouldn't be able to run 10km in under an hour - he's about to shell out €100 :cool::D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Slightly embarrassed posting my pitiful run, I have started C25K again, did a Week 2 session last night :o

Found it okay, I haven't run in a while but I walk 5k every other day so with the three days of running that should help me shift some of this 3 extra stone I am carrying around. :D

Run Fat Bitch Run has been a real eye opener for me even though I had run before. So I'm hoping that over the summer with the long evenings this works. I made it to Week 5 last time and I really want to better that.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Yazamalainia

this is my first fwmm and set the goal of jogging it back in january, was never a jogger before but used the c25k programme to help build myself and was completely on track until about a week ago when i started getting this twinge in my hip :( rested it but went for another jog today and now i cant walk properly since, don't want to do anymore damage so im thinking i might have to just walk it. all those months of hard work and at the 11th hour this is what happened..

SICKENED :mad:

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Go to a physio. They might be able to sort you out.

• Advertisement

this is my first fwmm and set the goal of jogging it back in january, was never a jogger before but used the c25k programme to help build myself and was completely on track until about a week ago when i started getting this twinge in my hip :( rested it but went for another jog today and now i cant walk properly since, don't want to do anymore damage so im thinking i might have to just walk it. all those months of hard work and at the 11th hour this is what happened..

SICKENED :mad:

OH NO...

i went shopping yesterday and went over on my ankle, hurt like hell, went kcick boxing last night and tried not to put to much pressure on it, last night it was killing me. I just went for a 6 k fast walk with arm weights and my foots fine, thankfully...

hope your leg/hip gets better soon. You can always join me on the walkers line :D

Advertisement