Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Loungers on the run: Couch to 5k to marathon and beyond

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

Took a wrong turn today when out in the park and did nearly 8.5k instead of 7.3k! 55 minutes though so very happy with that! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭NCONTHEMC

Serious lack of motivation to run today..... Or yesterday. Flora mini marathon isn't even terrifying me enough to get out and run!!! What the f is wrong with me?! When that 10k hits me on Mon I'll be blubbing and whinging about not doing enough practice/"training"...... AAAARRRRRGGGGHHHHHH :eek:

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

If you get out for a 30 minute run now you'll have the whole evening of feeling good about it. If you spend the whole evening thinking you should go for a run but procrastinating about it, you'll just feel guilty.

TL: DR - out you go :)

Went out, ran a very hilly 5k ! Wrecked! Thanks RK, I think. :p

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭jenizzle

Had to calm down the running as I got some weird lung thing over the last few weeks. Have week 2 done though, so delighted that I can actually run for longer than 100 metres :D Those NHS podcasts are a godsend though. Even if the music is a li'l 'High School Musical' and 'Go Team'-like, it does the job.

Also can't emphasize the difference a decent pair of shoes makes. I had crappy ones and my knees and feet were in bits. Since I've invested in a better pair, running is so much less-impact and there's no random aches and pains.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

We're walking for Brainwave. Ah my knees are fine the vast majority of the time, it's just the running that makes them go poopy. Considering I'm only 20 now, I'm not looking forward to my old age :(
    Hi Fluorescence. I have to say I was totally unfit at your age, I could not even run 100 yards without getting out of breath and crying out with aches and pains in my hips and knees for days afterwards.

Now I'm 21 (again:( ) next Friday and regularly running 7-8km non-stop and with very little pain afterwards, I hope to do the mini-marathon in under 60 minutes - fingers crossed!

So don't despair, you may become another Sonia O Sullivan yet!

look out for race numbers 28259 and 28260 My self and my daughter... IM going to try to stick to the back of the back so i wont get crowded, what charity did you go for?

Good luck to you and your daughter, Grindelwald - I'll be able to search your number and check your time in the Herald :D ! Brainwave is a good organisation, they've been very useful for my work colleague who thankfully hasn't had a seizure in a while. I'm running for Make A Wish.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭OakeyDokey

Might start this on Monday, a lot of workouts done inside so I'd like to get myself out the door.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,021 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Was a slacker this week and only did one session and now it's lashing rain! :( A thread mill would make life easier lol!

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Pomplamousse

Good luck to everyone doing the women's mini marathon tomorrow!! Roll on the finish line:D

• Registered Users Posts: 28,805 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Hear hear!

Not sure that doing it at all after no training for four weeks, and lungs that aren't really recovered after a stinker of a cold is the wisest thing to do, but it'll hardly kill me (I hope!).

At least it's not going to be 25 degrees- that's what I was most afraid of.

Enjoy, everyone!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭JimmyCrackCorn

Best of luck to all the ladies running the flora mini marathon in a few hours.
    Also best of luck to the guys in drag.

Hope ye get good weather for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭Unregistered39

Watched a good bit of it from the sidelines (I was too late to enter) and was well impressed. One thing I would say is a good sports bra is essential ladies! I couldn't get over the amount of serious bouncing going on! I have a Berlei one that is brilliant, guarantees 'no bounce' and it works a treat (and I'm 34DD).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

Finished it, delighted, think we did it in less than 1.5 hours. Oh my 12 year old daughter did it with me too. Its for over 14s but where there is a will there is a way and we found a way. I hope we beat the 1 hour 30 min mark. We both got our medals. Delighted 1st of many, can't wait for the paper tomorrow. 28259 and 28260.

Well done Grindelwald and mini Grindelwald :-) I didn't see you?! Was hot hot hot out there, don't think I hit my target time of 70mins, :cool:, will find out tomorrow! Still, great experience and well done all the women!!!! Anyone else do it?

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭timewilltell

Didn't do the mini marathon but I'm on Week 5 Day 2 and totally loving it! Have totally waved goodbye to the cigarettes, but hello to the runners high! Found today a little hard, but overall, Delighted!

Fair play to you Timewilltell! Kicking the dreaded weed AND taking up running is very impressive :D hope you keep enjoying it! Have bald patches on soles of runners, time for new pair soon !

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭bambera

NCONTHEMC wrote: »
    Well done Grindelwald and mini Grindelwald :-) I didn't see you?! Was hot hot hot out there, don't think I hit my target time of 70mins, :cool:, will find out tomorrow! Still, great experience and well done all the women!!!! Anyone else do it?
    Sure was hot. was gasping the whole time. This was my third year to do it and it gets better every year. seeing the difference training makes each year as i get that little bit faster makes all those early morning still half asleep runs worth while. Also have to give credit to the people out watching today, they really know how to make a girl feel good.:)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,206 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Running apathy doing the rounds at the moment. :( :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭JimmyCrackCorn

Went out last night again after yesterday and Saturday.

Now need a rest day. I'm walking a little funny but the fact I got out and saw some real progress helped.

Finished today in just over 65 mins. Very disappointed tbh. The heat really got to me. Absolutely no shade whatsoever around ballsbridge, not used to that at all so I think it held me back. Happy though that I completed it. Considering just over 2 months ago I could barely cover 5k in under 40 mins I think 10k running non-stop in 65 mins isn't bad going.

• Advertisement

I finished in 1 hour 4 minutes, so you musn't have been far behind me Michellenman! My best time before that was 1 hour 9 mins so I'm pleased as punch! But never mind, we can aim for under 60 minutes next year!

And well done to Grindelwald and everybody else who participated!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭tan11ie

bambera wrote: »
    Sure was hot. was gasping the whole time. This was my third year to do it and it gets better every year. seeing the difference training makes each year as i get that little bit faster makes all those early morning still half asleep runs worth while. Also have to give credit to the people out watching today, they really know how to make a girl feel good.:)

It was my first year doing it and boy it was great!!! & hot lol....what a turn out.I agree the support was excellent ...so encouraging.

Well done to everyone who took part.:)

Re mini marathon; Herald is on sale now ladies.

Finished 19 seconds faster than I had thought which means I ran exactly 5 mins faster than last year. Now if I can knock those 5 mins off every year, I'll be finished before I even start!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

came 18,136th daughter came 18, 156th with times of 1:37:29 and 1:37:32. we could have done better but it was still fun and a good work out for our first mini marathon.

next year we will be in under 1:20 as we plan to jog half of it.

suppose we could have done better if we didnt have to zig zag through the crowd but still thats half the fun.

came 18,136th daughter came 18, 156th with times of 1:37:29 and 1:37:32. we could have done better but it was still fun and a good work out for our first mini marathon.

next year we will be in under 1:20 as we plan to jog half of it.

suppose we could have done better if we didnt have to zig zag through the crowd but still thats half the fun.

Well done :)
    I like to think of the first 4km as an obstacle course. Only 6km to go then before you know it.

how' d you figure out where you came grindelwald?

Michellenman, if you use this link http://apps.florawomensminimarathon.ie/past-results/
    then put in your race number, it will list your name, your county, your time and what position you came in.

Ah i looked there earlier but they werent up ! Thanks! :-) 4198th, happy with that! :-)

Ah i looked there earlier but they werent up ! Thanks! :-) 4198th, happy with that! :-)
    You were in the top 10 - well done!

• Advertisement

Hahaha :D when you put it like that it sounds great!!

Advertisement