Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Loungers on the run: Couch to 5k to marathon and beyond

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭NCONTHEMC

Well Done Heidi and NCOMTHEMC. Heidi, at least you started the race that's something! Hope the injury is improving. Also Rainbow Kirby.. 10km is but a dream to me.

And thus I would like to announce.... 5km has been ran for the first time! Woo! Myself and the running partner finally did it this evening. Took 35 minutes but we were quite consistent overall which we are very happy with! We did it!!!

Yay!!! 5k! Well done you(and running partner) :D:)Awesome. :D
    The first 5k is the worst! Keep it up, now all you need to do is download the bridge to 10 k application/podcasts.....I should really do the same!

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

NCONTHEMC wrote: »
    Strawberries?! There's posh... Still, I think you should do dun Laoghaire 10k and see my post above, I could be waiting on the line with chocolate AND strawberries..... Seriously though, why are we so hard on ourselves? As I came over the line last week I thought to myself, "crap could have done better" AND I was retching!!! My spirit is Olympic standard, shame about my legs, lungs, hip flexors etc etc etc :P
    I suppose that's one of the motivators to keep training - the fact that there's always another goal just around the corner.

Just a warning there - Dun Laoghaire 10k has a very hilly course!

I suppose that's one of the motivators to keep training - the fact that there's always another goal just around the corner.

Just a warning there - Dun Laoghaire 10k has a very hilly course!

Don't I bloody know it..... It was the first 10k I ever did. Sigh. I had to go home and lie down afterwards!! Anyway, as you say, there's always room for improvement AND I have new sauconys so now I have to keep going!:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭Unregistered39

Anyone know of any 5k runs during the last week of July in the Dublin area? I had a look on runireland but don't seem to be any that week. Have done a general Google search but are there any other sites I should be checking? Sis is home for the week and we thought we'd try a bit of family bonding/passing out from exhaustion while she's here.

If you were willing to head out to Donadea in Co Kildare, there's a 5k on Friday 27th at 8pm. There are also 2 mile races run by the Raheny Shamrocks club on Tuesday 24th and 31st.

• Advertisement

Btw - if anyone here would be interested, I've started a thread in the LL private forum about trying to organise a running meetup (most likely in Dublin).

Btw - if anyone here would be interested, I've started a thread in the LL private forum about trying to organise a running meetup (most likely in Dublin).

Do you mean a running meet up where we do running :eek: or a running meet up where we talk about running (and other stuff?!):D

NCONTHEMC wrote: »
    Do you mean a running meet up where we do running :eek: or a running meet up where we talk about running (and other stuff?!):D

A running meet-up where we actually run, and maybe go for a coffee afterwards :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,862 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

A running meet-up where we actually run, and maybe go for a coffee afterwards :)

Oooh, I'd be on for that - hip and other achey bits permitting.

Might actually persuade me out training again - I've got awfully lazy, I'm having trouble imagining getting back into it!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭clappyhappy

Hi, have enjoyed reading this thread for many weeks now. I tried the c25k last year and gave up after week 3. Last month said I was going to do it again and am really focused this time. I did week 1 for 2 weeks until I was comfortable with it, now onto week 3 and am much more confident in myself.
    Usually get up at 6 am to do it, before hubby goes to work, he issometimes away Tue, Wed home thur night, and with 3 kids its easy to put it off,but no excuses this time.
    Told my sister on Sunday, she is a great runner think I wanted her encouragement, which I got. Only she and hubby know, don't want others knowing in case I fail, but really have my mind focused now. The thoughts of running 5k seem impossible but getting there slowly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭Unregistered39

I'd be on for that too, assuming I keep up the training. Wouldn't like to be Paddy (or Patricia) last.

It's not a competitive thing at all - it's just an excuse to run as a group and maybe meet some new people and have a chat. The pace would of course depend on who runs that day, as can the distance.

Possibly something like a 10km run, maybe where the route looped back to the start point after 5-8km for those who wanted a shorter distance, and maybe in the Phoenix Park with a little trip to the tea rooms afterwards? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14 rcoffey

eviltwin wrote: »
    Thanks guys, its not sharp pains more like muscle ache or something. The only thing I can compare it to is the pain you get in your feet when you have been walking for ages.

Never thought of massage, I am prepared to give anything a go at this stage.

I had a feeling the only way to stop it was to keep running :D I guess I just have to keep going as I am and build myself up and it will happen in the end.

I feel your pain, am having the same pain myself have been running a while having started out on a treadmill, I just keep on lashing on the deep heat before running on diclac or volterol after, hoping it will not stop me running as am completely addicted

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭jinxremoving

hi ladies!

hope no one minds me jumping in here, enjoying keeping up with this thread. training for this years Dublin City Marathon at the moment, been running for about a year ( to my shame not consistently until now!)

Good luck with the training :) There's a novices thread on A/R/T which might be useful to you in terms of training for DCM.

Did a 10k urban trail at the weekend. Very hard work, ground was soft and there were hills and loads of mud!!! New runners haven't forgiven me yet. Note to self: do more training before next attempt! I didn't come last, but not far off! :o back on the road tomorrow I hope!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I have bitten the bullet and entered my first race. Its only a 5k fun run but its a start and hopefully its the start of bigger things. I never so much as thought I would ever be in the frame of mind to even think of doing a run let alone actually enter one for real. :D

Yay, good luck :)

Which race are you doing?

Yay, good luck :)

Which race are you doing?

Its the Great Pink for Breast Cancer Ireland in September. :)

good on ya Eviltwin! I find I need a race to aim towards, otherwise I slack off terribly! I might look into that one too!:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

Off to run the 5km O'Hanlon Race near Navan in 2 hours, it's raining so I'm pleased as I won't overheat :D

I've done a few of these 5km and 10 km races, and they're keeping me motivated - and my weight down!

• Registered Users Posts: 13 nibzc22

I started the couch to 5k Monday for the 1st couple of minutes I was thinking is it over yet but after a while I felt great, I'm really hoping I stick to it, I'm dying to get fit just find it so hard to motivate myself!

nibzc22 wrote: »
    I started the couch to 5k Monday for the 1st couple of minutes I was thinking is it over yet but after a while I felt great, I'm really hoping I stick to it, I'm dying to get fit just find it so hard to motivate myself!

Fair play, its a great plan. I'm on week 7 and finding it great. I've about 3 stone to lose so carrying a lot of extra baggage around as well :D Don't be afraid to repeat weeks if you need to. You will be amazed how much you can do in a few weeks from now.

Fair play, its a great plan. I'm on week 7 and finding it great. I've about 3 stone to lose so carrying a lot of extra baggage around as well :D Don't be afraid to repeat weeks if you need to. You will be amazed how much you can do in a few weeks from now.

Thanks! Just to ask you or anyone else reading do you find its helping you lose weight, tone up, get fit? Which ones or all? Are you only doing 3 sessions a week or other exercise too? Thanks for your response :)

Thanks! Just to ask you or anyone else reading do you find its helping you lose weight, tone up, get fit? Which ones or all? Are you only doing 3 sessions a week or other exercise too? Thanks for your response :)

I've lost a bit of weight, not as much as I thought I would be but I'm not dieting so that's possibly why.

I do look a lot better though, much more toned all over and my legs and bum look great :D

Most of all I feel a lot better, I can do more and have more stamina and that is the biggest kick of all, I get more of a buzz knowing I am getting fitter than I do knowing I am getting slimmer.

I run about three times a week, I try and walk 4-5k on the other days depending on the weather and how I feel, I take at least one day off a week to rest.

I've lost a bit of weight, not as much as I thought I would be but I'm not dieting so that's possibly why.

I do look a lot better though, much more toned all over and my legs and bum look great :D

Most of all I feel a lot better, I can do more and have more stamina and that is the biggest kick of all, I get more of a buzz knowing I am getting fitter than I do knowing I am getting slimmer.

I run about three times a week, I try and walk 4-5k on the other days depending on the weather and how I feel, I take at least one day off a week to rest.

Thank you, i am also dieting at the moment, how long that will last i dont know :D im looking forward too feeling good again, i will keep updated with my progess! thanks again :)

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭ArtOfEscape

W1D1 over!
    Felt like dying halfway through but got better towards the end ... trying not to think too far ahead, just taking one session at a time. Fingers crossed, and thank you all for your encouraging posts! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Yay completed my first ever 10K today :D In just over an hour. I trained twice this summer so maybe if I actually trained I coulda done better...ah well!

Was in Killarney National Park. VERY hilly. You'd think with it being in my hometown I'd practice the route...but nooooo. Nice medals!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

OMG, I've after being on my holidays - we were in the south of France for a few days and the weather was glorious, I'm trying to get used to being back in comparatively Siberian conditions here!

Anyway, I haven't done any running in eleven days- only some Aqua aerobics classes and Step Aerobics. So I'll have to knuckle down to it later on this evening or those lovely French pastries will stay on my hips :D

I have a 5km in Oldcastle on Wednesday to keep me motivated!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Got new runners today :D Gonna test them out tomorrow. That 10K has motivated me a lot!

Advertisement