Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Must Have Android Apps and Games?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Is there a Chrome browser for Android?
    If there is has anyone got a link? Its not showing up in play store for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭Nolimits

KoolKid wrote: »
    Is there a Chrome browser for Android?
    If there is has anyone got a link? Its not showing up in play store for me.
    You need to be on ics...

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

No good here so. Thanks anyway.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

Any one have any good apps for profiles for rings tones. Just say like power controlled style app where I can change to work and then back to normal in one motion?

Audio Manager Pro.

Enables you to set your various volume levels (Alarm, Media, Alerts, Ringer, System, Voice Call), create profiles with different audio and create shortcuts for the profiles, so that you can change with a single tap.

Doesn't let you change the actual ring tone, it that's what you are after, but it's one of the most useful apps I've ever installed.
    Just seen the reply there going to give it a shot now. Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭s_carnage

Aodan83 wrote: »
    Used to use Dolphin HD. Very good browser, I loved the gestures.
    Just started using chrome as well and I like it. Pretty quick, but is it just me or does it have problems with flash?

Chrome doesn't support flash. Must give it a try though as was using Opera for the past month but got hugely frustrated with it as it takes a age to open and is quite slow.

Gone back to stock since I've upgraded to ICS and must say it's speedy enough. Just a shame you can't organise your bookmarks into folders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Zagato

Jackobyte wrote: »
    This just reminded me of Hide It Pro. It's an app that appears in your app drawer as an Audio Manager but if you know what you are doing, you can access a hidden vault where you can hide pictures, videos, audio or apps away from prying eyes.

You can just stick a file called .nomedia in the folder with the pictures, videos etc you want to hide and then it won't show up in Gallery etc.

This file is in a lot of the system folders, fust copy and paste, it stops android scanning that folder for media

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

s_carnage wrote: »
    Aodan83 wrote: »
    Used to use Dolphin HD. Very good browser, I loved the gestures.
    Just started using chrome as well and I like it. Pretty quick, but is it just me or does it have problems with flash?

Chrome doesn't support flash. Must give it a try though as was using Opera for the past month but got hugely frustrated with it as it takes a age to open and is quite slow.

Gone back to stock since I've upgraded to ICS and must say it's speedy enough. Just a shame you can't organise your bookmarks into folders.
    I installed this today. It's lightning fast. I'm very Impressed with it. Shame about the lack of flash support though because no matter what they say, flash isn't going away for some time yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

xxyyzz wrote: »
    I installed this today. It's lightning fast. I'm very Impressed with it. Shame about the lack of flash support though because no matter what they say, flash isn't going away for some time yet.
    In relation to mobile it is. Adobe is abandoning development

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭Aodan83

s_carnage wrote: »

Was thinking that alright, it's not a huge deal to be honest though. I quite like how Chrome syncs your bookmarks and stuff, very handy if you use it as your main browser on PC as well (although admittedly Opera does this too I think).
    I tried Opera Mobile and Opera Mini for a while as well. They are both pretty good, though Mini is a bit snappier I felt. Always reverted back to Dolphin though until Chrome came out.
    Kind of trying to decide between Chrome and Dolphin now though, Chrome is good but I liked how Dolphin managed tabs over how it's done in Chrome.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

In relation to mobile it is. Adobe is abandoning development

I'm aware that Adobe is abandoning mobile development but any website with embedded streaming video is using flash and they are not going to change in a hurry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭28064212

xxyyzz wrote: »
    I'm aware that Adobe is abandoning mobile development but any website with embedded streaming video is using flash and they are not going to change in a hurry.
    A large proportion of them have already moved to HTML5 (or at least provide it as a fallback)

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Playing New Star Soccer at the moment, finding it very very addictive

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭Patsy fyre

Football manager works really well, definitely worth the money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

Patsy fyre wrote: »
    Have they updated the screen sizes yet? Was visually very disappointing on tablet on launch.

Jackobyte wrote: »
    Have they updated the screen sizes yet? Was visually very disappointing on tablet on launch.

Works perfect on SG S II. Haven't tried to use it on a tablet.

Recently started using an app called Voxer, its a walkie talkie app that works quite well.
    Check it out. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.rebelvox.voxer&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEsImNvbS5yZWJlbHZveC52b3hlciJd

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Keith186

Try Unified Remote.

Using this now pretty good but couldnt figure out how to rewind on vlc. The buttons youd normally use slowed or sped up the playback speed.

Skygo is back working on ics

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

Wished it worked over wifi but good to know at least its working on ICS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 602 ✭✭✭one man clappin

Is it available on the market? I cannot seem to find it.:o

Just type skygo into the market.

It does work with wifi!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 602 ✭✭✭one man clappin

I found it on the store through my laptop. When I sent the link to my phone it said that my "device is not compatible with this version". Hopefully it will be updated soon enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41 Comrade Zed

probably a bit late to the party....

I installed Gmote yesterday... what a great app - now I can control over 1TB of music/movies from the comfort of my sofa...
    All I need now is an app to get me a cold beer from the fridge and pour it for me. :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭tonc76

It does work with wifi!

on ICS and can't see it in market tried skygo sky go?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Is there anything like grooveshark? It's a great site but the android app for it is crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭limpdd

tonc76 wrote: »

Pretty sure it only works with 4 or 5 handsets.
    I have a GN on ICS and it is incompatible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭omg a kitty

Does the browser Store say it's incompatible with your phone?
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.bskyb.skygo

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭leemurta

Is there anything like grooveshark? It's a great site but the android app for it is crap.

Try Tinyshark it links with your Grooveshark account so you can bring across playlists.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.exigo.tiny&hl=en

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

+1, Tinyshark is awesome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

It does work with wifi!

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.bskyb.skygo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

Music junk is great for getting songs.
    Better than tunee as you can quickly select a discography etc.
    It's not on the any more but easily found on Google.

Airpush supported so make sure you have a blocker if you are rooted

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭tonc76

subway wrote: »

Thanks incompatible with ICS on G Nex :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

llama is one of those apps that when you install it you wonder why your smartphone wasn't delivered with it by default. It's a location/time based app which changes your phone settings based on where you are or when you are. It's much similar to Tasker, an app which does pretty much the same thing but Llama is free, has more updates and more support from the devs.

Mine is set up to turn on wifi when I'm at home, turn it off when I leave home and turn it back on when I'm at work. It sets the ringer to silent from 11pm except for certain numbers (wife/parents), turns the screen brightness down once the battery life drops beheath 20% and turns bluetooth on when plugged in and charging, turning it off as soon as I unplug.

It's not GPS based (works better in towns) and so uses very little battery life. Well worth the €1 donation if you choose to keep and use it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Saadyst

Bought this as soon as it came out... but I get the feeling it's not optimised yet.

Battery gets very very hot after a while with this, and the battery drain is much higher than if I was playing games that are much more demanding (graphically)

Haven't seen much about this tho, anyone else experience it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Saadyst wrote: »
    Bought this as soon as it came out... but I get the feeling it's not optimised yet.

Battery gets very very hot after a while with this, and the battery drain is much higher than if I was playing games that are much more demanding (graphically)

Haven't seen much about this tho, anyone else experience it?

What device? I have it on my SGS II and haven't experienced the battery getting hot. Haven't passed any remarks of battery drain but I'll keep an eye on it tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Saadyst

draffodx wrote: »
    What device? I have it on my SGS II and haven't experienced the battery getting hot. Haven't passed any remarks of battery drain but I'll keep an eye on it tonight.

Oh yeah, forgot to mention that - HTC One X

Heats much more likely to be coming from the 4(5) cores than the Ardueno GPU.

If it were to be programmed without a cap(each phone runs to best of its ability) the X would manage ridiculous rates, but heat the hell up(quad in a phone is a stretch for cooling).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

subway wrote: »
    Music junk is great for getting songs.
    Better than tunee as you can quickly select a discography etc.
    It's not on the any more but easily found on Google.

Airpush supported so make sure you have a blocker if you are rooted

Can't seem to get mine to work, every search comes up with the result 'network error':confused: e

Edit. Working fine, very Very good app!

Second Edit, coming up with 'network error' once again.

Grrrrrr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Craigels

Is there anywhere i can get a list of games that can be played on my phone against other friends eg draw something, scramble

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,408 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Craigels wrote: »
    Is there anywhere i can get a list of games that can be played on my phone against other friends eg draw something, scramble

http://bit.ly/ysPhi8

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

For anyone doing any electronics work, I found Electrodroid great. Handy for looking up resistor values and for doing all sorts of calculations. There's even a circuit simulator available as a separate download.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Saadyst wrote: »
    Oh yeah, forgot to mention that - HTC One X

Looks like the battery drain is pretty bad on the SGS II, phone doesn't heat up though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Craigels

dulpit wrote: »
    Craigels wrote: »

http://bit.ly/ysPhi8

There was no need to be smart i asked the question here explain a reason to get your thoughts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭kiddums

Does anyone know either a way to have the videos on youtubes watch later playlist one after another, or an alternative to the youtube app that lets you do that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Anyone know if there's a way of renaming starred places on google maps? Really annoying having places named simply as "n2", "co meath", "co cavan".

Obvious thing is the option to rename when you star it. Or to long press on it when it's saved.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Only way that I know of at the minute is to go to google.com/bookmarks and edit them there.
    Kinda obvious but seemingly overlooked functionality from the maps/navigation app.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Only way that I know of at the minute is to go to google.com/bookmarks and edit them there.
    Kinda obvious but seemingly overlooked functionality from the maps/navigation app.

This will do for now, cheers!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,408 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Super useful page, cheers Damo \aj/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

I'm useing a tablet (HTC flyer) and I basically want a way to organise the apps I use most on my front screen something similar to lanuch controll app.launch controll doesn't look right too small.
    Any one have ideas.

Back on topic why isn't this thread sticked?

You could use widgetsoid and make a switcher bar with like 10 apps on it, would only take one "row" but have all the apps you need.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement