Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC 12mb/25mb/50mb/100mb BB confirmed.

Options

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

How are people finding the 100mb service? On the old 30mb service atm, but think I will move to 100mb during the week as a "new" customer, in my own name this time. Any thoughts?

It seems to be cheaper with phone, but I don't want it. If I "take" the phone and never plug it in, I'll hardly incur any charges due to this?

I'm just naturally suspicious. :D

I've the 50Mb/s and the phone. I never use the phone even though it's plugged in. Just leave it behind the router .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

How are people finding the 100mb service? On the old 30mb service atm, but think I will move to 100mb during the week as a "new" customer, in my own name this time. Any thoughts?

It seems to be cheaper with phone, but I don't want it. If I "take" the phone and never plug it in, I'll hardly incur any charges due to this?

I'm just naturally suspicious. :D

You'll only be charged for out of bundle costs with the phone. Depending on what phone package you choose. I have paid max €4 in call costs each month, but this was for ringing 11850 and the likes of them. But if you don't plug it in then you won't have any charges at all. The 100mb service is great btw. I will have had it one year in June or July. In all that time it has been down once due to a fault in the area, but that is to be expected. I'm very happy with UPC and their customer service is a pleasure to deal with in my case.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

just never get a phone, don't get one from them as they will charge you 25e. Just say you 'are getting your own' and never do.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

just never get a phone, don't get one from them as they will charge you 25e. Just say you 'are getting your own' and never do.

I got mine for free :D. The offers might have changed since i got mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,724 ✭✭✭✭listermint

dont think they charge for them ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

Thanks for the info guys. I was just suspicious/worried some other charge would be incurred.
    listermint wrote: »
    dont think they charge for them ?

From UPC.ie
    There is a charge of €25.40 for the first phone handset at point of sale. The charge for each additional phone handset is €25.40.

It seems to be an avoidable cost though. If you have a handset already or just don't want one, don't select it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Yeah don't select it. They tried to bill us for one anyway and we had to ring them up.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Does anyone have experience from moving from 50mb to 100mb?

When I originally inquired the day the packages came out, moving from 30mb to 100mb would incur a 100 euro installation charge,so I said no and went with 50mb.

I'm very happy with the service, bar the downtimes that happen ever couple of months, and the issue with my net occasionally dropping in the house due to the poor router, I'm contemplating making a bump to 100mb.

I noticed a few people posting on Facebook they moved to 100mb for an extra €5 a month, but I wanted to askhas anyone any experience doing it, if its another 100mb charge for some lad to plug in a router, which is mandatory, **** that.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,520 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

TheDoc wrote: »
    When I originally inquired the day the packages came out, moving from 30mb to 100mb would incur a 100 euro installation charge,so I said no and went with 50mb.

You don't need a new router to move from 50mb to 100mb and therefore no extra charge.

The reason there is a charge when moving up from 30mb, is because 30mb uses DOCSIS 2 while anything above 30mb uses DOCSIS 3 and therefore requires a new router.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Would ordering anything above 30mb require them to clean up your line? Mine has constant problems over the years, I ring, they fix it, goes bad, I ring... etc for years.

• Advertisement

bk wrote: »
    You don't need a new router to move from 50mb to 100mb and therefore no extra charge.

The reason there is a charge when moving up from 30mb, is because 30mb uses DOCSIS 2 while anything above 30mb uses DOCSIS 3 and therefore requires a new router.

They didn't charge me anything moving from 30mb to 50mb.

They sent me out a router and siad it was self install.

The lady on the phone at the time mentioned that the installation fee was for new cabling required into the house, so this is ? Bull**** ?

Just rang

24 hours and the change will take effect

:) Happy camper :)

My bill also became €14 cheaper?!?!

To clarify I run with a phone and top tv bundle

• Registered Users Posts: 6,597 ✭✭✭zg3409

tried upgrading last night and was told id have to speak to tech support...got talking to them today and they have sent out the router. Cost me €40 for the router but then i was told that they couldnt upgrade the line for some reason and that i have to ring them when the router arrives and they will try upgrade my line to 50 meg then

50MB and upwards requires a different Cable Modem. They seem to be supplying a Cisco one. It is worth noting if you are on below 50 and want to upgrade, you will need to change your Cable modem.

Well it came on there Saturday and is consistently about 14ms ping, 98-99mbps down and 5-7mbps up

Thats on the main pc, funny enough mine is topping out at 25mb. The 50mb was literally showing 49mpbs to my machine.

Might be ok when I go home today after the machine has cycled and had a nights sleep ( wishful thinking) but is there anything I should check if it keeps capping at 25mpbs?

Pretty sure the ethernet cable I got ages ago was like, serious

TheDoc wrote: »
    Well it came on there Saturday and is consistently about 14ms ping, 98-99mbps down and 5-7mbps up

Thats on the main pc, funny enough mine is topping out at 25mb. The 50mb was literally showing 49mpbs to my machine.

Might be ok when I go home today after the machine has cycled and had a nights sleep ( wishful thinking) but is there anything I should check if it keeps capping at 25mpbs?

Pretty sure the ethernet cable I got ages ago was like, serious

Check if the ethernet cable has 8 wires in it, rather than 4, and check it your network settings your PC is connected at 1Gbps. Otherwise you may need to use a different cable or get a PC with gigabit ethernet.

Even testing a 100Mbps is a big ask for older/cheaper machines, let alone using all that data.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Brian017

Slightly OT, if I plug a phone line into the 2nd Phone output will it work with a Sky box?

Brian017 wrote: »
    Slightly OT, if I plug a phone line into the 2nd Phone output will it work with a Sky box?

Some say in Dublin it will, outside Dublin it will not. Have not tested it myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

Brian017 wrote: »

Does a phone work if you plug it in to the modem's 2nd Phone output?

Does a phone work if you plug it in to the modem's 2nd Phone output?

No. It is for a second line if you wanted a different phone nunmber. More for small businesses or a work and home number. It will not work under normal circumstances.

zg3409 wrote: »
    No. It is for a second line if you wanted a different phone nunmber. More for small businesses or a work and home number. It will not work under normal circumstances.

Ok, well then it wouldn't work with a Sky box..

• Advertisement

sorry mis-read your original post. A Sky box will only work if connected to normal first connection, in Dublin.

What's the difference between the modem being in Dublin and being outside of Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

What's the difference between the modem being in Dublin and being outside of Dublin?
    i know there's a culchie joke in there somewhere but i just can't get it out. :pac:

1915386132.png

For some reason my PC really wont kick past this. MY Das pc getting 99mbps and much higher up.

My lan connection showing 1gbps or whatever, any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,476 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

hmm just off the phone from UPC after a year of trying to find out when my estate in Lucan was getting the 100Mb infrastructure upgrade I've been told it's available now. the sales guy was saying there was a 30 euro charge for a new Thompson Modem which I told him is ****e is this right you have to pay 30 euros? Also as an existing customer do i have to go direct debit? Also because the 30Meg broadband max service I've been on for the last couple of years has suffered from congestion and they've admitted it your man told me he could do nothing for me and I'd have to contact the loyalty department, anyone any experience of this?

hmm just off the phone from UPC after a year of trying to find out when my estate in Lucan was getting the 100Mb infrastructure upgrade I've been told it's available now. the sales guy was saying there was a 30 euro charge for a new Thompson Modem which I told him is ****e is this right you have to pay 30 euros? Also as an existing customer do i have to go direct debit? Also because the 30Meg broadband max service I've been on for the last couple of years has suffered from congestion and they've admitted it your man told me he could do nothing for me and I'd have to contact the loyalty department, anyone any experience of this?

They gave me the router for free

But at the time they wanted €100 to install it, I'd take it and run :D

But yeah, the router seems poo, I'd be itnerested in alternatives

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

None as it doesn't make any sense.

The way the phone service is handled does however vary slightly. I noticed that when we were on a 25mbit/s package, we had different announcements (with a female British accent) and when we switched to 50Mbit/s we had the UPC-standard male voice on the announcements and more services like anonymous caller rejection were suddenly available.

UPC's helpline mentioned that there were different models of switch (telephone exchange) handling different groups of modems.

Whether your Sky box works or not on a UPC line seems to depend on the Sky box itself, not the line. Some Sky boxes seem happy enough, others aren't. It might also depend on the model of UPC modem rather than the service itself too.

I don't think the service varies from region to region, rather it just depends on what equipment you have installed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

So are most ppl generally happy with the service from UPC? I'm thinking of switching from Vodafone 20 meg to 50 meg from UPC as it is pretty much the same price.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

I'm on 100 Meg from the start with UPC. I'm very happy with it. There is little or no down time.

• Advertisement

So are most ppl generally happy with the service from UPC? I'm thinking of switching from Vodafone 20 meg to 50 meg from UPC as it is pretty much the same price.

If you have vodafone at home (via a landline) first check is UPC broadband available in your area. Then be aware of extra and hidden charges.

If you don't take TV then there is an extra charge of about 7 per month. There is also a minimum term of a year so if it does not work out it could be hassle.

Also consider you may be on a contract for a year already (or longer depending on contract). Also consider you probably need to give vodafone at least a months notice (UPC will not explain this to you) possibly in writing.

Then consider you may want to transfer over your landline number. This may be a hassle and there may be downtime.

If you want to donwgrade you speed (for a cheaper package) then there is a charge for this.

UPC broadband is generally considered better than landline, wimax, 3G and most fixed wireless.

But it does depend on how well it works for you, if things go well then it may be brilliant.

So once you have done your homework, it probably will be OK, but life has a way of causing delays, problems, catches. If keeping internet going 24/7 is very important then get one service to overlap the other and pay the extra. Cancel vodafone once you are happy.

Advertisement