Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC 12mb/25mb/50mb/100mb BB confirmed.

Options

Comments

According to upc.ie, the dongles are €15 once off. You can get them in any tech/pc shop for similar/slightly more price.

Here one for €25.
    http://www.pcworld.ie/Product/EDIMAX-EW7811Un-Nano-USB-WiFi-Adapter/303841/148.3

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭thefishone

Desire. wrote: »
    How much does it cost, €15?

That's what was mentioned on the phone,didn't need it in the end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭aphex™

...my modem arrives tomorrow...is it possible to buy the dongle separately from UPC ?
    Or would it be better getting one off Amazon etc. for a similar price ?
    Just noticed one of my laptops isn't Wireless-N.

They didn't have an N one when I got installed today. I ordered 50mb. I don't think they actually have an N one. I think it's always a G, so I told them to keep it. I'm going to buy one from Elara

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

I ordered this one from amazon. Reviews are good and it's cheap.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B002SZEOLG/ref=oss_product

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

..sound. Given that the machine I use all the time is N enabled and the wee netbook is too- it's just stage nerves. Hope it all works tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭shootermacg

I just logged on and my details say i have the following:

− Go Digital Max Pack
    − Fibre Power Broadband 30Mb
    − Digital Video Recording HD

anyone know why this hasn't been upgraded to 50Mb? I didn't even think 30Mb existed anymore??

Anyone from goatstown been upgraded?

Mines the same(ish)
    • Go Digital Max Pack
    • − Call Barring
    • − Phone Service
    • − Call Forwarding
    • − Fibre Power Broadband 30Mb
    • − Digital Video Recording
    I'll assume when they upgrade me it will change ?

• Moderators Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

I just logged on and my details say i have the following:

− Go Digital Max Pack
    − Fibre Power Broadband 30Mb
    − Digital Video Recording HD

anyone know why this hasn't been upgraded to 50Mb? I didn't even think 30Mb existed anymore??
    Mines the same(ish)
    • Go Digital Max Pack
    • − Call Barring
    • − Phone Service
    • − Call Forwarding
    • − Fibre Power Broadband 30Mb
    • − Digital Video Recording
    I'll assume when they upgrade me it will change ?

It usually takes a few weeks to update your account.

When i upgraded from 15Mb to 30Mb it took a month to update.

Noting to worry about tbh.

Mine took a day or two to go from 20 to 25Mb.

Thanks....time for pub now___I'm sure I'll be back moaning tomorrow :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

At the end of the day, if you have what you ordered then there is noting to worry about.

Any issues with billing, UPC will sort it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Technoprisoner

tried upgrading last night and was told id have to speak to tech support...got talking to them today and they have sent out the router. Cost me €40 for the router but then i was told that they couldnt upgrade the line for some reason and that i have to ring them when the router arrives and they will try upgrade my line to 50 meg then

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Ronan

Got the 50mb self installed today, have to say hats off to UPC, very happy with the speed increase and lower price.

Here is what I am getting wireless

1300487384.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭The Left Hand Of God

I am having a pain in my bollix with all this :) Not having a go at UPC though. They have been nothing but brilliant to date.

My issue is that speedtest.net and the UPC version show a good speed on my 30MB, which should be going to 50 now they have been to the house and updated the line into the house, the stuff under the man hole outside and the box on the wall for the modem.

BUT

I am still getting a substandard download speed off http://ftp.heanet.ie/mirrors/gnuwin.epfl.ch/iso/gnuwinII_November_30_2004.iso of 3.0MBs and that is hooking a laptop directly into the modem. Good torrents get about 2.5MBs in accumulated total.

In theory if I can't get this sorted I might as well be on a 10MB line :(

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭kamin99

to be honest with you i filled the form pointed out in the forum and within 48h i got a call from a very helpful chap who upgraded me to the 100mb plus phone for 57 euro and will send a voucher for DID for 50 Euro no hassle , sending the techy thursday for installation, fingers crossed:D

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭paddyk

kamin99 wrote: »
    to be honest with you i filled the form pointed out in the forum and within 48h i got a call from a very helpful chap who upgraded me to the 100mb plus phone for 57 euro and will send a voucher for DID for 50 Euro no hassle , sending the techy thursday for installation, fingers crossed:D

I also followed the link here on boards, I had just TV, as area was only upgraded. Found my contact very helpful and no messing about with Loyalty department or anything else. Was told voucher would be posted out to me in a week or so. Good experience for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭lemd

Going slightly off topic here but currently i have analogue NTL (free, one of those lost connections from cablelink days), if i go with the BB & telephone package do i loose my tv? I don't really need the digital tv. This seems like a great chance to say goodbye to Eircom.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

You will still have the basic analogue TV channels.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭lemd

cheers, bye bye Eircom it is then

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Decaydub

Are you confusing your MB with your Mb? You're quoting 3.0MB from heanet which equates to 24Mb which would be pretty good for what was I presume a 30Mb connection.

Finally got mine sorted today after 4 visits (one for no work order for new modem, one for new modem, one to establish new modem didn't work, one to replace new modem :eek:) and it's settled down into the 45-48Mb range (for a 50Mb connection) so pretty happy with that.
    I am still getting a substandard download speed off http://ftp.heanet.ie/mirrors/gnuwin.epfl.ch/iso/gnuwinII_November_30_2004.iso of 3.0MBs and that is hooking a laptop directly into the modem. Good torrents get about 2.5MBs in accumulated total.

In theory if I can't get this sorted I might as well be on a 10MB line :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

KoolKid wrote: »
    You will still have the basic analogue TV channels.

Not legal to watch them though!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,814 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Quick post, I had the standalone charge on my account despite going for the €57 BBand/Phone package so phoned up to have it removed, customer service could not change it but admitted it was an error so transferred to loyalty who sorted me out (well, I assume until I get my next bill), thanks for the heads up guys, deffo worth checking your account and nipping it in the bud.

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭Arciphel

Slave1 were you an existing customer? Or did you just sign up to UPC to get the package? Cheers.

I am still waiting for them to resolve this for me :rolleyes: fuming.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,814 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Existing customer, went from 20mb/all phone calls to 100mb/evening calls package, they didn't make any sort of issue out of it

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭Arciphel

OK it is sorted - I told the guy on customer service desk I was going to cancel the lot, got put through to mark in loyalty dept who told me that the official story is that the standalone charge doesn't apply to customers with broadband and phone, that is both new and existing customers. He took the charge off with immediate effect and apologised to me for all the hassle. He also said they will be automatically removing all these standalone charges over the next few days, but they are doing it in batches. I wonder if the fact i said I was ging to leave made them fix it for me, not sure. In any case this is the first guy I was speaking to who had some customer service skills, knew what he was talking about and sorted me out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 fitzy94

tried to get upgrade but they would not give me the new prices mad.gif they kept refering me back to the website which states

"Prices shown are for new broadband and phone customers only" mad.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 fitzy94

fitzy94 wrote: »
    tried to get upgrade but they would not give me the new prices mad.gif they kept refering me back to the website which states

"Prices shown are for new broadband and phone customers only" mad.gif

And 10 minutes later got a phone call from them saying they will get the loyalty team to call me tommorrow biggrin.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Brian017

1301846059.png

50mb wired connection

50 Mbs installed and working fine on a netbook and an older laptop.
    However...
    My Windows 7 64 bit os wireless-n enable laptop doesn't seem to work with it though. It sees the Thompson alright but won't go online. Anybody got any ideas ?

nb. The older laptop is in an upstairs bedroom well away from the modem so its not a distance problem.
    The problem laptop works fine when connected by wire. Thats not a logistical possibility lonterm.

It was the DHCP settings on the bloody computer. I must try reading the manual next time before I meltdown :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭Log-on

do the d.i.d and carphonewhere house sign up offers apply to old customers? i looked at the link explained the terms and conditions and wasn't sure if i was reading it wrong but i thought it said existing customers who upgrade a service can do the offer to get the 250 voucher etc.

Advertisement