Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC 12mb/25mb/50mb/100mb BB confirmed.

Options
1394041424345»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

So are most ppl generally happy with the service from UPC? I'm thinking of switching from Vodafone 20 meg to 50 meg from UPC as it is pretty much the same price.

I can't get it at the moment but I had it in my previous place and the positives are:

1) Internet is just light years ahead. Until Eircom rollout fibre to home, there's no comparison at all. It's just like being on a corporate network or a campus network or whatever. The internet just flies along.
    We never had any issue with it ever!

2) Phone service is more advanced than eircom e.g. has annoymous caller rejection (tells people who block their number to get lost) and caller ID on call waiting so you actually know who's trying to get through to you while you're on the phone (just like on your mobile) (which works, with any decent DECT phone, including eircom branded ones oddly enough!)

3) Their customer care is actually pretty good in my experience of it anyway. I was very impressed.
    (Chorus used to be SOOOOOO bad, but UPC's a whole different ball game entirely)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,128 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Still cant get over 50mb on my line.

Dad just tested at got 97mbps down and 6.9 up

I just got 48mbps down and 5 mbps up

Really annoying, its like the improved speed wont go to my pc :'(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

TheDoc wrote: »

Try this. Beboot the connection to the house -turn of the router and restart it after 5 minutes. This will involve dad's PC and any other devices connected.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

So I got a letter through the other day offering me the modem to allow me to get 100mb broadband. They claim it's free and after six reads through I've finally caught the catch - they're not offering me 100mb broadband juist the capability to get 100mb broadband.

So if I take the offer of the newer router what sort of higher price would I be looking at it if upgraded to 100mb broadband as an existing customer? And would they tie me into a new 12 month contract?

Just want to get an idea of what I'm being offered before I have the phone conversation with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭00sully

hells yeah FINALLY! been waiting for this in my area D15 for ages :D I ring up UPC every now and then and ask for it always "not available" the last time I check a few weeks ago same story. then I get a call out of blue offering me tv services I said no but give me 100mb will ya? sweeeeet.

1930299062.png

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭Creasy_bear

Upc's standalone charge......my bill is every 2 months.

On the site it says the charge is €7.88.......is that every month or every bill?

Upc's standalone charge......my bill is every 2 months.

On the site it says the charge is €7.88.......is that every month or every bill?
    Monthly.

Take out the phone with them. It's €6.10 a month. Don't use it, and you're saving €1.78 every month ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭Cork24

Did any one get a letter saying UPC will be upping their bb speed to 100mb ? I got none

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭Creasy_bear

Thanks man....

Looked at the bill there.

It reads.......standalone charge €16.65 23% €20.48
    25 Mb broadband €57.85 23% €71.16
    Total for internet €74.50 €91.64

Total for Subscriptions €98.08

7.88 x 2 = €15.76 not €16.65 :confused:

You might think I'm being tight but I went throught the tv bill and that's €36 more that it should be.

What's the €6.44 they're charging for subscription? Never showed up on any other bill?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭h57xiucj2z946q

Your connected to the internet via Ethernet or wireless adapter?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Ranicand

You will never get full speed over wireless try a wired test.

1935001439.png

• Registered Users Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Oracle

Anyone know if the UPC student offer (4 months free) is still available, or will be available in September, and how to get it? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭zg3409

The thread re the student offer is here:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055654980

the link no longer works so it may not be available.

There are other offers:
    http://www.upc.ie/boardsoffer/

250 euro voucher
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=77348164&postcount=2

• Registered Users Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Oracle

Thanks zg3409, I didn't know about the Currys offfer, looks good. Although I don't need phone or TV. I think I'll hold on and wait for the student deal nearer to September.
    I found more on the Currys promo here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056604722

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Oracle wrote: »
    Thanks zg3409, I didn't know about the Currys offfer, looks good. Although I don't need phone or TV. I think I'll hold on and wait for the student deal nearer to September.
    I found more on the Currys promo here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056604722

You get a €125 voucher for signing up for broadband and phone. The broadband and phone packages are cheaper than getting the broadband on it's own so it's a win win.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

Clever advertising for new customers but i've been with UPC a long while and i'm not getting the Rates i see advertised . Free Phone there is a catch there with direct debit i believe .
    I AM PAYING € 46.48 PER MONTH NO PHONE OR TV
    FOR 24 MB P/S BY CABLE AND I AM A LONG STANDING CUSTOMER ...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

paddyandy, unless you specifically ask to be put onto newer packages at the newer rates, they will usually leave you where you are.

i've been a customer since 2008 originally on 20mbps broadband and phone, and i'm now on 100mbps with phone paying €43.39 for the broadband and €12.19 for phone with the freetime world pack.

if you don't ask, you won't get.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭Dues Bellator

paddyandy wrote: »
    Clever advertising for new customers but i've been with UPC a long while and i'm not getting the Rates i see advertised . Free Phone there is a catch there with direct debit i believe .
    I AM PAYING € 46.48 PER MONTH NO PHONE OR TV
    FOR 24 MB P/S BY CABLE AND I AM A LONG STANDING CUSTOMER ...

i too am a long standing customer and i pay 34.96 pm for the same speeds you are getting , i have rang them and asked to be put tru to there loyalty team . i got reduced rates across the board as i said i was thinking about moving to sky .

• Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

On a thread here on Boards some time back somebody said that the 'phone ' part of the deal means you HAVE to be on direct debit with the bank .Now the problem there is if you miss the dd date you are HIT TWICE once by the bank and also by UPC at the same time .Say you have an unforseen deduction (happened) come in and upc are left short 1 cent then you are double hit .upc and bank .Please update or correct me on this and that was why i never took the free phone .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,180 ✭✭✭ZeroThreat

vibe666 wrote: »
    paddyandy, unless you specifically ask to be put onto newer packages at the newer rates, they will usually leave you where you are.

i've been a customer since 2008 originally on 20mbps broadband and phone, and i'm now on 100mbps with phone paying €43.39 for the broadband and €12.19 for phone with the freetime world pack.

if you don't ask, you won't get.

I've been with them since 2005, checked my account details on their website the other day, I seem to be on the 30mb broadband service and basic analogue tv package.

The broadband (monthly) works out at 42.50, while the tv (including seperate charge for the point) comes to 28.70

I want to cancel the tv service, but will I be hit with an extra monthly charge for having broadband only?

Is it better for someone with light phone useage to choose their phone service over eircoms?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 246 ✭✭mrbrown69

ZeroThreat wrote: »
    I've been with them since 2005, checked my account details on their website the other day, I seem to be on the 30mb broadband service and basic analogue tv package.

The broadband (monthly) works out at 42.50, while the tv (including seperate charge for the point) comes to 28.70

I want to cancel the tv service, but will I be hit with an extra monthly charge for having broadband only?

Is it better for someone with light phone useage to choose their phone service over eircoms?

Get the phone and just use it for incoming calls, I assume you've a moby of some description

I took their phone service....have never had an actual phone connected to it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭00sully

got upgraded to 120mb for same cost of €52/month (after I was originally incorrectly billed €62 per month!!) haven't even rebooted my modem to get the new speed - must do so this evening :D

Advertisement