Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC 12mb/25mb/50mb/100mb BB confirmed.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 dkraptor

vibe666 wrote: »
    the thompson can indeed do 40Mhz channels as well as 20Mhz, although you won't make any friends with your neighbours for using it unless it's on 5Ghz with nobody else using any bandwidth as you will greatly reduce the available bandwidth and increase interference for other wifi networks.

Dude, we tried everything, in 20Mhz, 40 Mhz, all the settings possible, spent 3 days reading tech forums and still nothing. Mostly I've tried with 5Ghz. No results. The only way to make it work in 802.11n was in 2.4 Ghz band, with 20 Mhz bandwidth, on channel 11 and WPA/WPA2 AES encryption, to get 144 Mbps. And the port forwarding? Don't ask. 3 computers with remote desktops, 3 IT "brains" trying for 8 hours continiously, with no firewalls activated. Still nothing. I manageed to configure lots of routers till now, but this one is the cherry on the top. If you have any ideeas, feel welcome to post them here :) But i still think a firmware upgrade will rezolve some of the problems (hopefully). And my neighbours love me :P

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Rafloution

Hi all, just signed up to 50MB from 25MB and the courier rang me and said UPC want me to hand over the old modem too, is this normal?

I presume they mean the modem and not the router as that is long in the bin as it was cheap ****e.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

Rafloution wrote: »
    Hi all, just signed up to 50MB from 25MB and the courier rang me and said UPC want me to hand over the old modem too, is this normal?

I presume they mean the modem and not the router as that is long in the bin as it was cheap ****e.
    yes, just have it unplugged and ready for when they arrive and hand them the modem in exchange for your new scaffold plank modem/router combo. :)

dkraptor wrote: »
    Dude, we tried everything, in 20Mhz, 40 Mhz, all the settings possible, spent 3 days reading tech forums and still nothing. Mostly I've tried with 5Ghz. No results. The only way to make it work in 802.11n was in 2.4 Ghz band, with 20 Mhz bandwidth, on channel 11 and WPA/WPA2 AES encryption, to get 144 Mbps. And the port forwarding? Don't ask. 3 computers with remote desktops, 3 IT "brains" trying for 8 hours continiously, with no firewalls activated. Still nothing. I manageed to configure lots of routers till now, but this one is the cherry on the top. If you have any ideeas, feel welcome to post them here :) But i still think a firmware upgrade will rezolve some of the problems (hopefully). And my neighbours love me :P
    oh dear, sounds like you're having fun with it. :)

my only tip really is to do what i did and use your own router and use the thompson as a modem.

there's no bridge mode on it (yet), so you just have to turn absoltely everything off on the thompson, then connect the WAN port of your own router to any of the LAN ports on the thompson and give it a static IP and put that IP into the DMZ on the thompson and you're all set.

personally i favour the linksys e3000 running the 3rd party tomato firmware as you get dual band dual radio 300mbps wireless N and gigabit ports all round with tomato giving you plenty of configurable options and built in bandwidth monitoring as well as being rock solid stable no matter what you do with it.

i've been using it with my 100mbps (and 30mbps before that) and i can happily leave my torrent client running rampant and still use dual vpn connections to mine and my wife's work and skype video calls without anyone even noticing that anything is going on other than their own thing. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭mr_fruitbowl

Is it possible to get the full 100 MB off of the Wireless USB Adapter that you can purchase from them?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭Cork24

Is it possible to get the full 100 MB off of the Wireless USB Adapter that you can purchase from them?

Does it stat Ian adapter G or N if its an N Yea you will get 100 if its a G your max is going to be 54

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭mr_fruitbowl

Cork24 wrote: »
    Does it stat Ian adapter G or N if its an N Yea you will get 100 if its a G your max is going to be 54

I'm not too sure what it is. When buying the broadband online there's an option for a wireless adapter. I'd assume it's N seeing as I bought the 100MB option.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

In short no its not possible

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭donutheadhomer

bealtine wrote: »
    In short no its not possible

not theirs but a lot nearer with others

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Finally got our new modem for the 50mb working after a few phonecalls to tech support,turns out they forgot to change our mac address or something!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

Can you upgrade your speed without extending your contract?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭MartMax

Baza210 wrote: »
    Can you upgrade your speed without extending your contract?

I got confirmed by phone and also twitter that upgrading speed will not get you to enter into a new a contract.
    Hi there. If you are already a broadband customer then upgrading your speed doesn't enter you into a new contract.

The only thing holding me off is the crappy modem provided for 50Mbps/100Mbps customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭arknine

just ordered 100mb now - delighted I found this!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

MartMax wrote: »
    The only thing holding me off is the crappy modem provided for 50Mbps/100Mbps customers.

The Thomson is better than the Cisco EPC2425 provided for the lower packages, whats putting you off it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭MartMax

roast wrote: »
    The Thomson is better than the Cisco EPC2425 provided for the lower packages, whats putting you off it?

Currently have the Scientific-Atlanta (Cisco EPC2203) which is working perfectly fine with my own Wi-Fi setup. From what I read on the Thomson modem thread, I understand that there's no simple way to get it work as a modem only instead of model/router.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

MartMax wrote: »
    Currently have the Scientific-Atlanta (Cisco EPC2203) which is working perfectly fine with my own Wi-Fi setup. From what I read on the Thomson modem thread, I understand that there's no simple way to get it work as a modem only instead of model/router.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=71665694&postcount=452

Still working perfectly for me, and for a good few others. Aye, it's no "bridge mode" but it's still working great. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭mariotr87

What do you guys think about the 250 GB monthly cap? Is it enough?.
    I use Netflix, Spotify and Dropbox pretty often...I've been wondering about whether It'll be enough for me. Any heavy user have been having problems with the cap?

depends on your definition of heavy i guess. :)

i had to monitor my usage on the 30mbps before i upgraded to 100mbps so i had the 250gb cap, but it wasn't like i was choking myself. even now, with 500gb i'm hovering around the 350-400gb per month mark.

the other thing is, they're supposed to be upgrading all the caps for the higher packages next month to 500gb anyway, so you'll be grand. even if you got it installed today, you'll have 250gb to play with for the rest of this month and 500gb next month. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭mariotr87

vibe666 wrote: »
    depends on your definition of heavy i guess. :)

i had to monitor my usage on the 30mbps before i upgraded to 100mbps so i had the 250gb cap, but it wasn't like i was choking myself. even now, with 500gb i'm hovering around the 350-400gb per month mark.

the other thing is, they're supposed to be upgrading all the caps for the higher packages next month to 500gb anyway, so you'll be grand. even if you got it installed today, you'll have 250gb to play with for the rest of this month and 500gb next month. :)

Thank you vibe666, I think that I'd probably download as much as you do, so 500 GB would be great for me. I'd start the contract in October though.
    You say "higher packages"...does that include the 25Mb one? Because I hope so!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭ArthurG

I moved over today - modem appeared to be provisioned when delivered, as I plugged it in and went online immediately.

Getting this on wireless, so very happy. Bye bye EPC, you won't be missed.....

1440981396.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭Dues Bellator

ArthurG wrote: »
    I moved over today - modem appeared to be provisioned when delivered, as I plugged it in and went online immediately.

Getting this on wireless, so very happy. Bye bye EPC, you won't be missed.....

1440981396.png

could you please post a ping test .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭ArthurG

Sure:

45566313.png

roast wrote: »

Again, as i said before, I had the Cisco, and no problems at all, everything worked fine with it. If you have the Thomson TWG870UIR, with the firewall turned off, again, you won't have any problems. But if you try installing a network between 2 or more PCs, I can give you 3 major problems examples, including the firewall, wireless, portforwarding. I don't have any problems forwarding torrents or anything else, but if you try a custom port (29000 for example) with at least 2 PCs, that's it. Try useing 5 Ghz wireless band. Try after the 40 Mhz bandwidth and see what's happening (the one you need for the 300 mbps wireless network) and tell me what's your result. Try to google it, and you'll find people all over Europe having the same problems. I spent my last month reading forums everywhere. So, they are giveing/selling you a Ferrari (of course, at the same price) but limited from the factory to be a Daewoo. Would you be happy about? You need another router to make it work. I hope a firmware update will make at least one of the problems disapear, but I doubt. The one they are useing now is pretty old, sometime at the beginning on 2010, as I remember. But a new firmware won't be compatible with UPC networks (UPC's answer). It's not about the money you need to spend afterwards, or the modem itself, it's just about the idea of them selling us crap and us beeing grateful for it.

ArthurG wrote: »
    Sure:

45566313.png
    Try with other foreign internet servers, the dublin one is supposed to be metropolitan (sort of) The external speeds and pings are important, not the local ones. Try some other US or european servers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭Tiesto

looking at the upgrade plan http://www.upc.ie/media/2011/1/13/2011BuildPlanV13.png it seems Terenure is covered , but when i put my address into the checker, it says broadband isnt available..
    Is it that the checker isnt up to date?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭tylerdurden94

Quick question, has there been an upgrade in the D12 area in the last while been about 5/6 months since I inquired last.

I am on the 30mb for €42 a month and would love to be on the higher speeds.

Also I see you can get 100mb for €55 and get it for €50 with a phoneline, my father would never switch from Eircom pretty set in his ways, could I take this option and pay just the €50 as the phoneline would never be used to get the reduced rate does anybody know?

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭urbanachiever1

Is anyone on UPC 25mb package in Cork city. Is it a good service? reliable? fast as it should be? good customer service?
    Many thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Markronan

Quick question, has there been an upgrade in the D12 area in the last while been about 5/6 months since I inquired last.

I am on the 30mb for €42 a month and would love to be on the higher speeds.

Also I see you can get 100mb for €55 and get it for €50 with a phoneline, my father would never switch from Eircom pretty set in his ways, could I take this option and pay just the €50 as the phoneline would never be used to get the reduced rate does anybody know?
    You can get 50mb for an extra 5euro a month or 10euro extra for 100mb. Also 50mb is only 45 a month anyway so extra 3 euro. You should downgrade to 25mb for 35euro a month and then upgrade to 100mb for a tenner extra. So basically you can get 100mb for 45euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Markronan

Is anyone on UPC 25mb package in Cork city. Is it a good service? reliable? fast as it should be? good customer service?
    Many thanks in advance
    Im on it in galway and i always get full speed when downloading from filesonic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭tylerdurden94

Markronan wrote: »
    You can get 50mb for an extra 5euro a month or 10euro extra for 100mb. Also 50mb is only 45 a month anyway so extra 3 euro. You should downgrade to 25mb for 35euro a month and then upgrade to 100mb for a tenner extra. So basically you can get 100mb for 45euro.

Cheers for the reply appreciate it, could you explain how to get 100mb for €45 a month?

Advertisement