Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC 12mb/25mb/50mb/100mb BB confirmed.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

Ah cool didn't realise you had to order a phone with them thought they threw it in, if I don't connect a phone up to it they won't hassle me will they about it? If there is no phone my monthly price won't ever go up so :)

Nope - you won't have any problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

i got a very nice 3 pack of glossy black motorola dect home phones with an answer phone in argos for 55 quid a little while back, pretty good value.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭tylerdurden94

Obviously only brand new to the 100mb any tips or pointers?

I was maxing out my PC connection on 70-80odd and my Macbook Pro (2011) was maxing out at about 50odd wirelessly, have not used the Thompson has a wireless point but have my Airport Extreme running through it, since I have switched that to bridge mode my speeds have improved a good bit.

PC

1595139586.png

Macbook

1595132505.png

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Blanchguy

Ah cool didn't realise you had to order a phone with them thought they threw it in, if I don't connect a phone up to it they won't hassle me will they about it? If there is no phone my monthly price won't ever go up so :)

That's what I thought! You need to watch your bill, they keep adding the standalone charge back on my bill even though I have broadband and phone...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

I presume you're paying for the phone service? If not, it won't work. If you are paying, then any phone will do, you just connect it to the phone port on the modem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭tylerdurden94

jor el wrote: »
    I presume you're paying for the phone service? If not, it won't work. If you are paying, then any phone will do, you just connect it to the phone port on the modem.

Yeah took out the phone bundle as well as it reduced the price but have no intention on ever using the phoneline.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭00sully

I wonder is this FINALLY coming to my area. Received a notice in the post that UPC are performing upgrade works in my area. Is this indicative of this particular upgrade? anyone here receive the same notice previously and then were able to avail of the new 100mb? If so, how long from the upgrade works until it was available?

cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

00sully wrote: »
    I wonder is this FINALLY coming to my area. Received a notice in the post that UPC are performing upgrade works in my area. Is this indicative of this particular upgrade? anyone here receive the same notice previously and then were able to avail of the new 100mb? If so, how long from the upgrade works until it was available?

cheers.

For me it was a couple of months. The cabled up the area in about a week, and it was another month before it was up and running. Your best bet is to ring them to get an idea.

Edit: Info and maps up here: http://www.upc.ie/customer_support/network_improvements/

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭Maestro84

Did anyone try this offer and was there any catches?

bk wrote: »
    UPC have just updated their site with the confirmed new packages, so I thought I'd start a new thread, as their is a lot of misinformation in the old thread.

Download - Upload - Cap - Price - Price with phone
    12Mb/s - 1.2Mb/s - 120GB - €25 - €32
    25Mb/s - 2.5Mb/s - 250GB - €35 - €42
    50Mb/s - 5.0Mb/s - 250GB - €45 - €47
    100Mb/s - 7.0Mb/s - 500GB - €65 - €57

Note there is a €7.75 charge if you don't get either TV OR phone. BUT if you get phone, then this charge no longer applies :)

Let me restate that, if you take their phone service you do NOT pay the standalone charge. So really there is no reason not to take their phone service, even if you never use it, as it is 75 cent cheaper. And you actually save €8 on the 100mb BB!!

Yes, that isn't a typo, 100mb BB + phone is only €57, fantastic price.

Bundles:
    Fibre Power Starter - €60 - 25Mb BB - Digital Value TV with Digital+ - Home Phone with Freetime World.
    Fibre Power Essential - €65 - 25Mb BB - Digital Select Extra TV with Digital+ - Home Phone with Freetime World.
    Fibre Power Ultimate - €75 - 50Mb BB - Digital Max TV with Digital+ - Home Phone with Freetime World.

Use the following link to get a €50 voucher when you sign up to one of these new packages:
    http://www.upc.ie/boardsoffer/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭PrzemoF

Maestro84 wrote: »
    Go for it if you can - have 100Mb/s and it's _fantastic_

• Advertisement

yes and ditto to this:->
    PrzemoF wrote: »
    Go for it if you can - have 100Mb/s and it's _fantastic_

the only real catch is the 500gb limit which you could wipe out in around 12-13 hours if you really tried. but realistically, you're not going to use that much on a regular basis unless you are a household with lots of people using it at once or a very heavy user.

i'd consider myself in the latter category and i've only come within 50gb of the 500gb limit twice since i had it installed in may this year and i hardly even check my usage any more tbh, unless i know i've been thrashing it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭dogpile

Just ordered the 50 meg to double my speed from 25m.....added phone to take away the standalone charge and set up DD.....which all in all means I'm paying less than I was and doubled my BB speed...sweet as a nut :)

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭Maestro84

bk wrote: »
    UPC have just updated their site with the confirmed new packages, so I thought I'd start a new thread, as their is a lot of misinformation in the old thread.

Download - Upload - Cap - Price - Price with phone
    12Mb/s - 1.2Mb/s - 120GB - €25 - €32
    25Mb/s - 2.5Mb/s - 250GB - €35 - €42
    50Mb/s - 5.0Mb/s - 250GB - €45 - €47
    100Mb/s - 7.0Mb/s - 500GB - €65 - €57

Note there is a €7.75 charge if you don't get either TV OR phone. BUT if you get phone, then this charge no longer applies :)

Let me restate that, if you take their phone service you do NOT pay the standalone charge. So really there is no reason not to take their phone service, even if you never use it, as it is 75 cent cheaper. And you actually save €8 on the 100mb BB!!

Yes, that isn't a typo, 100mb BB + phone is only €57, fantastic price.

Bundles:
    Fibre Power Starter - €60 - 25Mb BB - Digital Value TV with Digital+ - Home Phone with Freetime World.
    Fibre Power Essential - €65 - 25Mb BB - Digital Select Extra TV with Digital+ - Home Phone with Freetime World.
    Fibre Power Ultimate - €75 - 50Mb BB - Digital Max TV with Digital+ - Home Phone with Freetime World.

Use the following link to get a €50 voucher when you sign up to one of these new packages:
    http://www.upc.ie/boardsoffer/

Just got my UPC installed on Saturday. I applied for the boards offer to get the 50 euro voucher before I ordered it. I was chatting to 1 of the customer care on the UPC website, she assured me if I ordered it online I would still get the voucher. After getting it installed a customer care rep leaves a message on my phone saying I'm not entitled to it as i ordered online. What should I do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭Cork24

So since I have UPC before they brought the cap in those this mean I still have unlimited data

Cork24 wrote: »
    So since I have UPC before they brought the cap in those this mean I still have unlimited data
    you didn't ever have unlimited data with them, it's always been there, just not publicised and hidden behind phrases like fair use or acceptable use policies deep within their T&C's, even though they advertised the top products as unlimited and comreg let them get away with it.

it was even there in the T&C's even before UPC was UPC (i.e. NTL & Chorus), it just wasn't ridgedly enforced until the start of 2009 when they decided that the 'fair use' amount as 250gb per month for the (then) 20mbps broadband ultra product, which they advertised as unlimited.

if you went over 250gb, you got a letter from them saying you were unfairly crippling the internet for your neighbours and to kindly stay within their acceptable usage guidelines in future or risk being put up to their (unpublished) broadband extreme package which as basically the same thing, just at double the cost.

it wasn't until towards the end of 2010 that they started including the cap amount (although still well hidden deep in the T&C's) and afaik they didn't openly publicise the limits for all products until the 100mbps was rolled out and they updated all their packages and the usage limits for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

Just got my UPC installed on Saturday. I applied for the boards offer to get the 50 euro voucher before I ordered it. I was chatting to 1 of the customer care on the UPC website, she assured me if I ordered it online I would still get the voucher. After getting it installed a customer care rep leaves a message on my phone saying I'm not entitled to it as i ordered online. What should I do?

Ask for the recording of the conversation you had with the customer care rep.

EDIT: Ah it was an online chat? My mistake - misread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

dogpile wrote: »
    Just ordered the 50 meg to double my speed from 25m.....added phone to take away the standalone charge and set up DD.....which all in all means I'm paying less than I was and doubled my BB speed...sweet as a nut :)

Did this only cost the €5 difference between 25Mb & 50Mb? I have the phone package already but not sure if those prices relate to new customers only?

EnterNow wrote: »
    Did this only cost the €5 difference between 25Mb & 50Mb? I have the phone package already but not sure if those prices relate to new customers only?
    generally it applies to new customers and old customers who give out about it and (politely) threaten to quit (ask to speak to the customer loyalty team). ;)

vibe666 wrote: »
    generally it applies to new customers and old customers who give out about it and (politely) threaten to quit (ask to speak to the customer loyalty team). ;)

I rang them there, & they looked at my old made-to-measure package (basic tv, multiroom, 25Mb bb & basic phone system).

After holding for a while, I was put through to a more senior guy who said there packages/pricing has totally changed from when I signed up. He said he could put me on a package with included the same tv package I'm getting, multiroom, 50Mb bb, & a better value phone package all for an extra €2 a month.

Happy days, doubled the broadband speed & got a better phone package all for the sake of a phone call. Cheers lads

I was paying 45.7 odd for the 25 meg .....didn't have DD and there was the standalone charge

was told over the phone 50meg and phone would be 45 flat needed to set up DD, standalone charge dropped......got the new modem within 2 days setting up was a doddle, great

Then notice the "my details" on their webpage is still showing standalone charge plus BB/phone :cool:

• Advertisement

I was paying 45.7 odd for the 25 meg .....didn't have DD and there was the standalone charge

was told over the phone 50meg and phone would be 45 flat needed to set up DD, standalone charge dropped......got the new modem within 2 days setting up was a doddle, great

Then notice the "my details" on their webpage is still showing standalone charge plus BB/phone :cool:

Is that the standing charge that applies if you get bb without a tv or phone package? If so that should be pretty easy to rectify

Is that the standing charge that applies if you get bb without a tv or phone package? If so that should be pretty easy to rectify

That's it, but don't see why I should have to ring them again after been told it won't apply when ordering

mind you I didn't actually order a handset which costs 15 quid as I've really no intention of using the phone, was told I could get that anytime...but I'm still showing as having BB and phone

That's it, but don't see why I should have to ring them again after been told it won't apply when ordering

Well its quite straight forward to ring them & they'll see quite obviously that the standing charge won't apply to you given you have more than just bb. Best do it now rather than letting the bill get processed & it getting messy with overcharging etc.

You'll prob find its already removed, & that the log-in system just hasn't picked it up yet. Either way, I was on & off the phone in a matter of minutes, its not a big deal

• Registered Users Posts: 7,805 ✭✭✭Calibos

The sales Reps finally arrived in my area of Bray to announce that we've gone active on the network and to start taking orders. I wasn't at home at the time though. Can I ask a few questions to prepare me for when they come back.

We already have Digital TV and 3 STB's with them. I wanted a minimum of 50mb BB from them to give a nice boost from the 17mb and p[itiful upload we currently get from Eircom with the bonus of getting the Thomson Router which is better than the Cisco on the lower packages if I read correctly. We are going to take the phone too. Are there any catches to the 'Anytime' phone option. Free local and National calls anytime I understand but what does selected International Destinations mean. We've relatives in Austrailia, the UK, Canada and the US that would be the most likely international call destinations. Would those calls be free anytime??

Looking at the pricing, it seems like a no brainer to actually get the 100mbit package. ie. €55 for 100mb with Anytime or €50 for 50mb with Anytime. Or have I misunderstood something?

Also, is it a special dect handset the provide you or can you use your own if you already have one?

I networked my house with a gigabit Lan so am well capable of doing the 'plug it in yourself' self install option, however with only one Coax coming in from the UPC box outside which goes into a 3-way splitter to feed the 3 STB's around the house (single Coaxfeed and splitter installed by UPC last year) am I precluded from taking the self install option. ie. can't take another feed off the splitter for the router and am not allowed to interfere with the UPC wiring to add a 4-way myself nor take in a new feed from the box outside myself. Does this mean I can't take the self install option?

Just received my 1st bill since upgrading and it seems information on this thread and from UPC doesn't ring true.....having been told on the phone when ordering my bill for 50mb + phone would be 45 euro pm (no standalone charge) self install and from separate calls saying there would be no standalone charge my bill totals ....59.06! :rolleyes:

not happy with that I must say...

Again looking at their site...50mb BB is priced 45 euro I've been charged 47.12...it says add Freetime world at 0 extra cost, I've been charged 11.80! plus the standalone charge FFS

Just received my 1st bill since upgrading and it seems information on this thread and from UPC doesn't ring true.....having been told on the phone when ordering my bill for 50mb + phone would be 45 euro pm (no standalone charge) self install and from separate calls saying there would be no standalone charge my bill totals ....59.06! :rolleyes:

not happy with that I must say...

Again looking at their site...50mb BB is priced 45 euro I've been charged 47.12...it says add Freetime world at 0 extra cost, I've been charged 11.80! plus the standalone charge FFS
    Yeah I had that problem too. I rang customer service and explained to them, and they credited the account the next month. Now the bill €45 a month (excluding phone calls).

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Blanchguy

Yeah I had that problem too. I rang customer service and explained to them, and they credited the account the next month. Now the bill €45 a month (excluding phone calls).

You're lucky, I have to ring them every single month to get the standalone charge taken off my billl - I have broadband and phone...

Rang up and got the stand alone taken off this bill....said the extra was because of changing mid month and future bills will be 45 euro....we shall see

• Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭Teclo

I had all three until May when I got rid of the TV package and began paying the stand alone charge. Is it new that just having the TV or phone drops the stand alone charge?

• Advertisement

officially, existing customers still need to have triple play (i.e. all 3 services) to get the standalone charge, whereas new broadband customers only need one other service (either phone or tv) to get it dropped.

however, if you complain and ask to speak to the customer loyalty team, a lot of people here (myself included) have gotten the standalone charge dropped for just the broadband and phone. not sure about broadband and tv, but i imagine it would be a similar story.

Advertisement