Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC 12mb/25mb/50mb/100mb BB confirmed.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Markronan

Cheers for the reply appreciate it, could you explain how to get 100mb for €45 a month?
    See you are on old prices of 42euro for 30mb. There is no 30mb on the upc website anymore. It is 35euro a month for 25mb for 5euro extra you can upgade to 50mb and for a tenner extra you can have 100mb. Alot dont know this because it doesnt say it on the site. Im on 25mb and if i rang them up and wanted to double it, it would be 5 extra a month and then 10 extra for 100mb. This is the way it used to be im not sure if they changed it. Ring customer care on 1908. I just looked at the bundle section on upc website if you click on 50mb and phone for 45euro amonth and underneath it says double your speed for a fiver extra.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭tylerdurden94

Markronan wrote: »
    See you are on old prices of 42euro for 30mb. There is no 30mb on the upc website anymore. It is 35euro a month for 25mb for 5euro extra you can upgade to 50mb and for a tenner extra you can have 100mb. Alot dont know this because it doesnt say it on the site. Im on 25mb and if i rang them up and wanted to double it, it would be 5 extra a month and then 10 extra for 100mb. This is the way it used to be im not sure if they changed it. Ring customer care on 1908. I just looked at the bundle section on upc website if you click on 50mb and phone for 45euro amonth and underneath it says double your speed for a fiver extra.

Thank you so much for the tip that is fantastic, I suppose my other main question is about the phone.

I know my Dad is pretty set in his ways and probably wouldn't switch to UPC phoneline, so if I take up this offer and I will be 99% sure the phoneline would never be used will the monthly price still stay at €50?

Now I just have to get onto UPC and see if my area has been upgraded to 100mb in the last 6 months, the price for the 100mb is sick good :) feel like I'm getting ripped off a bit :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Markronan

Thank you so much for the tip that is fantastic, I suppose my other main question is about the phone.

I know my Dad is pretty set in his ways and probably wouldn't switch to UPC phoneline, so if I take up this offer and I will be 99% sure the phoneline would never be used will the monthly price still stay at €50?

Now I just have to get onto UPC and see if my area has been upgraded to 100mb in the last 6 months, the price for the 100mb is sick good :) feel like I'm getting ripped off a bit :pac:

Yes it would stay at 50 plus you get Free off-peak and weekend calls to local, national and selected international fixed lines and it would still stay at 50euro after making these calls. Not sure what time off peak is. For 5euro extra on top of that you get all free calls at all times to landlines in ireland and all over the world

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

bk wrote: »
    UPC have just updated their site with the confirmed new packages, so I thought I'd start a new thread, as their is a lot of misinformation in the old thread.

Download - Upload - Cap - Price - Price with phone
    12Mb/s - 1.2Mb/s - 120GB - €25 - €32
    25Mb/s - 2.5Mb/s - 250GB - €35 - €42
    50Mb/s - 5.0Mb/s - 250GB - €45 - €47
    100Mb/s - 7.0Mb/s - 500GB - €65 - €57

Note there is a €7.75 charge if you don't get either TV OR phone. BUT if you get phone, then this charge no longer applies :)

Let me restate that, if you take their phone service you do NOT pay the standalone charge. So really there is no reason not to take their phone service, even if you never use it, as it is 75 cent cheaper. And you actually save €8 on the 100mb BB!!

Yes, that isn't a typo, 100mb BB + phone is only €57, fantastic price.

Bundles:
    Fibre Power Starter - €60 - 25Mb BB - Digital Value TV with Digital+ - Home Phone with Freetime World.
    Fibre Power Essential - €65 - 25Mb BB - Digital Select Extra TV with Digital+ - Home Phone with Freetime World.
    Fibre Power Ultimate - €75 - 50Mb BB - Digital Max TV with Digital+ - Home Phone with Freetime World.

Use the following link to get a €50 voucher when you sign up to one of these new packages:
    http://www.upc.ie/boardsoffer/

Can the very first post in this thread be updated as it's not accurate.

Markronan wrote: »
    Yes it would stay at 50 plus you get Free off-peak and weekend calls to local, national and selected international fixed lines and it would still stay at 50euro after making these calls. Not sure what time off peak is. For 5euro extra on top of that you get all free calls at all times to landlines in ireland and all over the world

Legend thank you so much for all the info :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

n97 mini wrote: »
    Can the very first post in this thread be updated as it's not accurate.
    it actually is in some cases depending on if you are an existing customer or not, and depending on how friendly UPC are feeling on any given day.

they aren't dropping the standalone charge for existing customers in all cases unless they have all 3 services. some of us have been lucky and gotten them to drop it by getting referred to customer loyalty, but it's by no means guaranteed unfortunately. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Blanchguy

You need to watch your bill like a hawk. I signed up for a years contract in order to get rid of the standalone charge, UPC add it back on every month. I have to ring them and argue to get it taken off. Takes about 20 minutes a time. They are very poor at answering emails. I've told them that if they get it wrong again I'm going to comreg and the NCA. I'm sure they realise that most people don't check their bill/dd. Very very shoddy behaviour I think.

vibe666 wrote: »
    it actually is in some cases
    It doesn't tally with what is currently on UPC's website.

It doesn't tally with what is currently on UPC's website.
    why would it though, given UPC's history?

all the bumph on the website is geared towards new customers. as an existing customer, you don't always get the same deals.

you are basing your viewpoint solely on the UPC website, i'm basing mine on the actual experiences of UPC customers that have posted on the forum and in this thread and we (i.e. the broadband forum users) have already gone through it many times at this point with other users to try and help them get the standalone charge dropped. sometimes it has worked, other times it hasn't.

Ok, if I can get the prices and terms and conditions in the 1st post, I consider it accurate. If I can get the price and terms and conditions on UPC's website, I consider the 1st post inaccurate. I phoned them, they quoted the prices and terms and conditions on the website. These are not mentioned in the 1st post.

• Advertisement

Ok, if I can get the prices and terms and conditions in the 1st post, I consider it accurate. If I can get the price and terms and conditions on UPC's website, I consider the 1st post inaccurate. I phoned them, they quoted the prices and terms and conditions on the website. These are not mentioned in the 1st post.
    are you talking about the bits in bold in the post you quoted or the prices?

if you are talking purely about the prices listed in the first post, UPC's prices have changed since it was made, so they will be out of date by now but the OP would not be able to edit the post after such a long time.

if you want them changed, you will need to contact a mod about it so they can edit the post.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Shorty11857

I was originally planning on trying it when they introduced this but time got away from me; is it easy enough now to switch from my current package 30MB + TV + Phone to 50 or a 100MB?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Maybe not, only 50%-60% of UPC customers can get 100mbit.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Shorty11857

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Maybe not, only 50%-60% of UPC customers can get 100mbit.

Anyway to check if you can get it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

Anyway to check if you can get it?

Ask UPC?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

I was originally planning on trying it when they introduced this but time got away from me; is it easy enough now to switch from my current package 30MB + TV + Phone to 50 or a 100MB?

One phone call will do it.

Rang up this morning to find the good news that my area was now available for 100mb broadband, sweet as when I rang them up a few months ago they said maybe not till the new year.

Ordered it today got confirmation email so just waiting for call to see when its gonna be delivered :)

Quick question, it said in the email that I have to give back the old hardware I take it that they mean the old router and that's it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

Rang up this morning to find the good news that my area was now available for 100mb broadband, sweet as when I rang them up a few months ago they said maybe not till the new year.

Ordered it today got confirmation email so just waiting for call to see when its gonna be delivered :)

Quick question, it said in the email that I have to give back the old hardware I take it that they mean the old router and that's it?

lucky guy...i called them today and been told that D15 is not ready for 100m,they are still upgrading,is a big job...confirmed back to her that yes,is a big job if is taking a more than 1 year and i can see vans every week working on that central node here...

yes,i pressume you have to return the old cable modem,as you'll get a new one !

enjoy it 100 times...

depending on the age of your cable connection point on the wall and cabling to the street, they may decide to replace that as well when the engineer comes, but as far as handing stuff back it'll be your modem/router they are interested in, as it's still of use to them, but no use to you and officially (afaik) still their property if it was originally supplied by them (i.e. not like DSL).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

depending on the age of your cable connection point on the wall and cabling to the street, they may decide to replace that as well when the engineer comes, but as far as handing stuff back it'll be your modem/router they are interested in, as it's still of use to them, but no use to you and officially (afaik) still their property if it was originally supplied by them (i.e. not like DSL).

Would it not be just the modem, Unless its a modem with built in router.

Depending on what they gave you when you first signed up, But generally the router is yours and you more than likely had to pay for it, But sometimes its free if you sign up online or whatever deal is going on at the time.

My friend was told he was allowed to keep his, I was told the same aswell.

• Advertisement

Thor wrote: »
    Would it not be just the modem, Unless its a modem with built in router.

Depending on what they gave you when you first signed up, But generally the router is yours and you more than likely had to pay for it, But sometimes its free if you sign up online or whatever deal is going on at the time.

My friend was told he was allowed to keep his, I was told the same aswell.
    sorry, by modem/router i meant modem (the epc2203) or modem with built in router (epc2425) not the separate netgear router they used to give out before they went all-in-one with the cisco jobbie.

if you have one of those old white netgear routers then you can keep it as it's yours, although they were pretty abysmal so i'm not sure why you'd want to, esp. if you're getting 50-100mbps, you're not going to want it anyway unless it's propping up a bookshelf in your study or something. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

sorry, by modem/router i meant modem (the epc2203) or modem with built in router (epc2425) not the separate netgear router they used to give out before they went all-in-one with the cisco jobbie.

if you have one of those then you can keep it, although they were pretty abysmal so i'm not sure why you'd want to, esp. if you're getting 50-100mbps, you're not going to want it anyway unless it's propping up a bookshelf in your study or something. :D

I sold mine the day i got it, They are terrible, But okay for Eircom connections.

DD-WRT FTW!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

The courier who delivered the new Thomson router took our old Cisco router back from us when we upgraded to the 50mb a few months back,he didn't even want the plug from the Cisco back,which I thought was weird.

Got a call from the delivery company and they will be out between 10-2 tomorrow, opted for the self install so don't have to pay any extra charges when I am finished putting it all together (assuming its straight forward??) do I ring UPC when finished so they can then switch me over?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Yeah no harm in ringing them to speed things up,we had a problem with the new thomson modem not being able to connect to the internet for a few hours after we installed it.We rang UPC up and it turned out that they hadn't updated the mac address on their system for the new modem they sent us.Once they did over the phone it worked perfectly.

Got a call from the delivery company and they will be out between 10-2 tomorrow, opted for the self install so don't have to pay any extra charges when I am finished putting it all together (assuming its straight forward??) do I ring UPC when finished so they can then switch me over?

Just installed it there myself a few minutes ago, connected it all up and it worked right from the off :)

Gotta try a FTP Heanet site to see whats what really.

Just wondering thou if anybody can help, there was no phone delivered today do they send that out separate? Just curious as I don't wanna get stung by them if they are ever looking for it again and try sting me with some penalty.

257n80w.jpg

Just wondering thou if anybody can help, there was no phone delivered today do they send that out separate? Just curious as I don't wanna get stung by them if they are ever looking for it again and try sting me with some penalty.

257n80w.jpg
    silly question, but did you order a phone with the phoneline? it's a separate addon as some people would rather use their own phone.

i had an engineer do my install, so he bought the phones and modem with him, but if you ordered one and it didn't arive then the only thing to do is call them and see where it's gotten to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

They won't give you a phone unless you requested one, and even then you pay for it. Any phone will do, there's not need to pay inflated prices from UPC for a bog standard phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

jor el wrote: »
    They won't give you a phone unless you requested one, and even then you pay for it. Any phone will do, there's not need to pay inflated prices from UPC for a bog standard phone.

I got a Panasonic DECT phone in Power City for €30. Works perfectly.

• Advertisement

silly question, but did you order a phone with the phoneline? it's a separate addon as some people would rather use their own phone.

i had an engineer do my install, so he bought the phones and modem with him, but if you ordered one and it didn't arive then the only thing to do is call them and see where it's gotten to.
    jor el wrote: »

Ah cool didn't realise you had to order a phone with them thought they threw it in, if I don't connect a phone up to it they won't hassle me will they about it? If there is no phone my monthly price won't ever go up so :)

Advertisement