Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC 12mb/25mb/50mb/100mb BB confirmed.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,384 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

You think the 100mb is good?

A little birdy told us today that the minimum service from Autumn 2012 will be 50mb and UPC will then have speeds up to 200mb!!!

now shhhhhh ;)

vibe666 wrote: »
    officially, existing customers still need to have triple play (i.e. all 3 services) to get the standalone charge, whereas new broadband customers only need one other service (either phone or tv) to get it dropped.

however, if you complain and ask to speak to the customer loyalty team, a lot of people here (myself included) have gotten the standalone charge dropped for just the broadband and phone. not sure about broadband and tv, but i imagine it would be a similar story.

the only way you have to pay the €7.75 standalone charge is if you only have Broadband. - bb and tv, bb and phone, just tv, tv and phone, there is no SA charge

The Standalone charge is going to be phased out early 2012 btw

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

callaway92 wrote: »
    the only way you have to pay the €7.75 standalone charge is if you only have Broadband. - bb and tv, bb and phone, just tv, tv and phone, there is no SA charge
    tell that to all the existing UPC customers (including myself) in this thread who have been paying it until they complained. there's pages of them if you look back in the thread.

if UPC have changed this then they really need to sort their sh*t out with their billing system (again) as there are lots of people STILL paying the standalone charge who have more than just the broadband packages alone.

tell that to all the existing UPC customers (including myself) in this thread who have been paying it until they complained. there's pages of them if you look back in the thread.

if UPC have changed this then they really need to sort their sh*t out with their billing system (again) as there are lots of people STILL paying the standalone charge who have more than just the broadband packages alone.

fact is, you get it all credited back from when the new system was brought in, so I don't see the problem here.

I'm not in the billing department, but I would admit myself that the way billing is done is shoddy. Easily our busiest department.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Blanchguy

I can tell you for a fact, that's not true. I have broadband and phone, I have to ring every single month to get the standalone charge taken off my bill..

• Advertisement

fact is, you get it all credited back from when the new system was brought in, so I don't see the problem here.
    the problem is that customers keep getting billed for it until they notice it and complain. how many people don't even know they shouldn't be paying it and are going to keep getting billed for it?

it's obviously not all automatic or people wouldn't still be getting billed for it now would they?

Blanchguy wrote: »
    I can tell you for a fact, that's not true. I have broadband and phone, I have to ring every single month to get the standalone charge taken off my bill..

just unlucky with the CSRs you are getting so, not knowing what they are doing. Once something is cancelled. It should be cancelled, and that's a fact.

How many months has this been ongoing for you?

the problem is that customers keep getting billed for it until they notice it and complain. how many people don't even know they shouldn't be paying it and are going to keep getting billed for it?

it's obviously not all automatic or people wouldn't still be getting billed for it now would they?

nobody said it was automatic.

nobody said it was automatic.
    you really are the poster boy for UPC aren't you? :rolleyes:

so you don't see a problem with repeatedly overcharging thousands of people indefinitely until they complain about it because your billing system is fcuked?

for anyone in UPC management reading this (and I'm sure they will be before too long) i'm sure you can see that callaway92 is a senior manager in the making, you better snap him up. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭dogpile

Was told by the guy on the phone yesterday the cancellation needs to be put in the system manually after me saying previous calls to them I'd been assured it would be dropped....he said it wasn't put in manually, they just relied on the system which is why I was billed for it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭Teclo

I rang them this morning and they told me that it only applies to new customers after May 14. :mad:

just unlucky with the CSRs you are getting so, not knowing what they are doing. Once something is cancelled. It should be cancelled, and that's a fact.

How many months has this been ongoing for you?

5 so far, and every CSR has guaranteed that it has been canceled for once and for all.... :rolleyes:

Overcharged for a 6th month in a row. Got passed on to the loyalty department without asking, even though last month's CSR said she couldn't do this. This month's bill credited and another promise that everything is now sorted...

Overcharged for a 6th month in a row. Got passed on to the loyalty department without asking, even though last month's CSR said she couldn't do this. This month's bill credited and another promise that everything is now sorted...

Does the standalone charge still show in the "My details" on their web site?

Mine has since disappeared and wasn't included in the actual DD.....like I said earlier it needs cancelling manually, if you're on the phone again try get it done that way

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

If you pay by dd remember that under the dd scheme disputed amounts should not be debited so if you are disputing charges the company concerned has absolutely no right to go ahead and debit such charges.
    Originators must put in place reliable systems and which will ensure:
    o the issuance of correct advance notification as appropriate of amounts to be debited
    o that Direct Debits as issued conform to Payer instructions and the Rules of the Scheme
    o that disputed amounts are not debited
    o that procedures for terminating the Direct

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭h57xiucj2z946q

My router is still on "TWG870U-B9.01.30-101026-F-1C1.bin", there is no way to force upgrade the firmware?

My router is still on "TWG870U-B9.01.30-101026-F-1C1.bin", there is no way to force upgrade the firmware?
    yup, ring UPC and give out stink to them.

not sure how much luck you'll have with 1st line support, i guess it depends on who you get, but if you get it escalated they should be able to push out the updated firmware to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

yup, ring UPC and give out stink to them.

not sure how much luck you'll have with 1st line support, i guess it depends on who you get, but if you get it escalated they should be able to push out the updated firmware to it.

I doubt they'll even discuss that with you to be honest. Technical support departments usually have a scope of issues they will and will not deal with, and I'm pretty sure the firmware doesn't come anywhere near that as its not something a normal user would even know or care about.

DarkJager wrote: »
    I doubt they'll even discuss that with you to be honest. Technical support departments usually have a scope of issues they will and will not deal with, and I'm pretty sure the firmware doesn't come anywhere near that as its not something a normal user would even know or care about.
    not true. UPC are the only ones who CAN upgrade the firmware on a UPC router. its not like a regular router where you can put whatever firmware you like on it, with cable modems, firmware updates are pushed out by the ISP from their end, so if you want it upgraded to the current version that is doing the rounds, they are the only place to go to get it sorted.

however, getting it done is going to be very much pot luck depending on the person you end up on the phone to, which is why i mentioned getting it escalated as advanced support departments would have the knowledge and tools to do more than the undertrained and underpaid phone monkeys who initially pick up the call.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Stevie_D_D

Hi all,

I'm a UPC customer with the old 30mb fibre freedom ultimate pack. I did a little research today and it turns out I can get my same phone and tv package but with 100mb broadband for the same price now. My question is how are people faring with the Thompson router compared to the Cisco one? I had a fair few teething problems with the Cisco but it is at the stage now where it seems to work properly all the time (touch wood :)). So, although it seems obvious that I should move to 100mb rather than 30mb at no extra cost, is there a chance it'd be more trouble than its worth? I work from home a bit so I just need reliable internet although of course I'd always want the fastest available. I also use Xbox Live a fair bit. Anyone else moved from the cisco to thompson and could share their opinions?

• Advertisement

Stevie_D_D wrote: »
    Hi all,

I'm a UPC customer with the old 30mb fibre freedom ultimate pack. I did a little research today and it turns out I can get my same phone and tv package but with 100mb broadband for the same price now. My question is how are people faring with the Thompson router compared to the Cisco one? I had a fair few teething problems with the Cisco but it is at the stage now where it seems to work properly all the time (touch wood :)). So, although it seems obvious that I should move to 100mb rather than 30mb at no extra cost, is there a chance it'd be more trouble than its worth? I work from home a bit so I just need reliable internet although of course I'd always want the fastest available. I also use Xbox Live a fair bit. Anyone else moved from the cisco to thompson and could share their opinions?

For what it's worth I've had the Thompson for 2 months and never a problem..... I just use it as a straight modem not a router, don't have wireless or xbox but it's never reboot once and delivers 50 mb speed constantly, I could say the same with the Cisco before that.....UPC bb is brill!!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Had my Thomson modem replaced with a new Cisco EPC3925 just today. I signed up with UPC in November, got the Thomson and had no end of problems with it. It just kept disconnecting itself and would on occasion, affect the quality of the television signal - in that, if I was using the internet the signal with break up. The biggest problem though was the weak wifi signal, I'm in a two bedroom ground floor apartment and I couldn't get any signal in the bedrooms at all. Even moving 10 foot away from the modem in the same room would see the signal drop by two bars or so.

Anyway, an engineer came this morning and replaced the cable splitter which he seemed to think was responsible for the TV issues (and said that he'd seen many similar problems because they were using the wrong types of splitters). Even with that the wifi signal was the same. So he replaced the Thomson modem with the EPC3925 and it's perfect now. Full strength signal everywhere, and touch wood, no resets or other issues so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭yellabelly

I just signed up and got delivery of the EPC3925. While it seems a nice piece of kit and delivered speeds of over my 50Mbps package I couldn't see where to switch off the router functionality. I want just a "bridged mode" modem to swap with existing DSL modem that connects to Netgear BB router.
    Will UPC support upgrade my firmware to do this or will they send out a different modem if I get onto them?

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭mfdc

yellabelly wrote: »
    I just signed up and got delivery of the EPC3925. While it seems a nice piece of kit and delivered speeds of over my 50Mbps package I couldn't see where to switch off the router functionality. I want just a "bridged mode" modem to swap with existing DSL modem that connects to Netgear BB router.
    Will UPC support upgrade my firmware to do this or will they send out a different modem if I get onto them?

You don't need to get on to UPC at all - I just did exactly this yesterday, swapped out my DSL modem for the UPC cable modem and kept my router and everything else exactly as it is. I followed the instructions in this post almost exactly, and it works fine. The only change I had to make was in #3, the Cisco EPC wouldn't let me assign a static IP outside the range of the DHCP pool like the Thomson apparently does.

Thanks for the info. I had a go at this with UPC support. It didn't work because the routers hadn't been put on separate subnets.
    I will give it another try over the weekend. I'm using Tomato firmware in my own router which is rather good.
    I started a separate thread because I didn't think I would get a reply here. I'll send in an update.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭mfdc

yellabelly wrote: »
    Thanks for the info. I had a go at this with UPC support. It didn't work because the routers hadn't been put on separate subnets.
    I will give it another try over the weekend. I'm using Tomato firmware in my own router which is rather good.
    I started a separate thread because I didn't think I would get a reply here. I'll send in an update.

My router is using tomato too :) Since the situation's so similar, I've attached screenshots of everything I had to change to make things work. Only other things - the MAC address on the Cisco's "Fixed CPI IP Assignment" page is the one under WAN on the Overview tab in tomato, and also if you're using the tomato router for wireless you'll need to disable the cisco wireless (set access point to disabled under Wireless/Basic). Hope this helps!

mfdc, thanks for all your great help. I have it working just as you described. The only issue that I haven't had time to investigate is the drop in performance. Speedtest was showing ~60Mbps direct to the EPC3925 but through the Netgear/Tomato router it drops down to around 20.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

Sorry if a little aside here but the direct debit with upc was a sore point if i did'nt have the full amount in my Bank account there were charges that benefited bank and upc so i stopped it .The "Catch" has been discussed on boards somewhere not long ago .

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭doodio

How can I get 300mbps wireless from this router? the max I'm seeing is 144 with my wireless n devices....

This is unfortuante as I can only get around 6-7MB download via wireless. When I plug in I'll push 10. Is this router not a n300 router?

I've set it to 40mhz, lower, turned off g protection and xpress, n protection is on. I'm not sure what i'm doing wrong. wpa tkip+aes.

there's some sort of setting for nphy rate set to auto, but even on 15, where it says up to 270mbps, i won't connect any higher than half that.

Thank you!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

How are people finding the 100mb service? On the old 30mb service atm, but think I will move to 100mb during the week as a "new" customer, in my own name this time. Any thoughts?

It seems to be cheaper with phone, but I don't want it. If I "take" the phone and never plug it in, I'll hardly incur any charges due to this?

I'm just naturally suspicious. :D

Advertisement