Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC 12mb/25mb/50mb/100mb BB confirmed.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 988 ✭✭✭IsThatSo?

I am just off the phone to them and there is no charge to upgrade my router.

Getting my package upgraded was another ball game, but thanks to this thread I didn't get too het up, just asked to be transferred to Loyalty Dept. where they just made the changes.

Don't get why they are saying this isn't available to existing customers. When I queried it I was told that I couldn't have a bundle because I didn't already HAVE a bundle.......just all three services seperately :eek: I signed up for a bundle years ago that now no longer exists............Loyalty Dept were great though :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭Cork24

What is the point in some people Running on 100 mb line ?

when your WiFi Card only run a Speed of 54 Mbps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Theres ways around that, 802.11n or power line connectors. Or simply connect directly to your router. Also there maybe more than one person using the connection at the same time.

I know people can buy USB N power ones.. but for people who think that they will have that kind of speed from their PC alone. im talkin about

Sorry what?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

Cork24 wrote: »
    I know people can buy USB N power ones.. but for people who think that they will have that kind of speed from their PC alone. im talkin about
    speak for yourself mate, my (wired) gigabit ethernet and 300mbps Wireless N is doing just fine thanks. :)

1391941523.png

oh, and that was just done just now from a nettop pc that cost less than 200 quid that i'm using as a htpc. :)

here's one i did from my main desktop pc a while ago.

1292357487.png

what was your question again? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

vibe666 wrote: »
    speak for yourself mate, my (wired) gigabit ethernet and 300mbps Wireless N is doing just fine thanks. :)

what was your question again? :D

You've just made him bitterly jealous. :pac:

roast wrote: »
    You've just made him bitterly jealous. :pac:
    yeah, but what else is it for? :pac:

yeah, but what else is it for? :pac:

LOL. Green with envy here too :D

BostonB wrote: »
    LOL. Green with envy here too :D
    it's surprising what a difference it actually makes in every day usage.

i wasn't expecting a huge speed increase with torrents since it wasn't maxxing out the 30mbps when i had that, but i'm downloading much much faster (probably 4x as fast) than i was with the 30mbps. it seems like, even though torrents are never going to fully utilise your connection, they will still utilise a certain percentage of whatever you have, so the faster your connection gets, the faster you can download stuff.

i quite often use public trackers which aren't known for their high speeds, but i quite regularly download some 350mb 'files' *cough* (:D) in less than 5 minutes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Trojan00

I just got a text to say that my speed has been increased from 10Mb to 20Mb. I already got a free upgrade from 10 to 12 only a few weeks ago. From the UPC speed test I am getting 25/2.5.

Did anyone else get this too?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,965 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

1392258548.png

Installed this morning and this is what I'm getting connected by ethernet to my workstation.

1392263509.png

This is the result from my Laptop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Crackity Jones

/\/ollog wrote: »
    Made both those points thor and vibe, that was the reply to thor's.
    Still waiting on a reply to what vibe said, but only sent that about 25 hours ago.

Twitter guys must be on a break or something.

Twitter's a Godsend.

Did you hear back on this? Just noticed I'm still getting charged the standalone charge and am not on the freetime world package. UPC Twitter person looking into it.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

In the same boat here.

I've an email confirming that I was supposed to be an a bundle rate of €47 pm but now they've added a standalone charge and a telephony charge.

parsi wrote: »
    In the same boat here.

I've an email confirming that I was supposed to be an a bundle rate of €47 pm but now they've added a standalone charge and a telephony charge.

I should have being paying only 52 for phone and bb they had me down for 18 for phone 52 for bb and 7.50 for stand alone charge i told them cancel it right away as i was told i have no stand alone charge and ill be only paying 52 for Every thing within 2mins she put me onto some one else and he updated my account

Dirty fu**kers

twitter person came back to me and is cancelling standalone charge and posting a credit to my a/c. they are v helpful on twitter!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭Pdfile

I just got a messege today From UPC saying my Net was upgraded also.

On 100 atm but Can i actually Get faster ?? i live roughly 100-150 meters away from the hub so happy days i guess ?

zero downtime also so Cheers upc i guess :cool:

twitter person came back to me and is cancelling standalone charge and posting a credit to my a/c. they are v helpful on twitter!

What their twitter account so i could follower them

What their twitter account so i could follower them

@UPC_HelpsYou_IE

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭PrzemoF

Pdfile wrote: »
    I just got a messege today From UPC saying my Net was upgraded also.

On 100 atm but Can i actually Get faster ?? i live roughly 100-150 meters away from the hub so happy days i guess ?

zero downtime also so Cheers upc i guess :cool:

I was told by UPC while upgrading that they are working on something faster than 100Mb/s. DOCSIS-3.0 can support up to 400Mb/ on 8 channels. UPC Thomson router can handle 8 channels.... :)

• Advertisement

the best thing to do is keep an eye on UPC in the netherlands as they will generally be the first place to get any further upgrades to UPC broadband services.

i imagine they'll probably do a bump up from 100mbps to 120mbps here and in their other territories that don't already have 120mbps already to equal the netherlands at some stage in the next year or so which i guess would count as 'something faster', but who can say really. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

PrzemoF wrote: »
    I was told by UPC while upgrading that they are working on something faster than 100Mb/s. DOCSIS-3.0 can support up to 400Mb/ on 8 channels. UPC Thomson router can handle 8 channels.... :)
    I'm afraid UPC don't use DOCSIS 3.0 ....... they use EURODOCSIS 3.0 which can handle closer to 450 on 8 channels :)

I'm afraid UPC don't use DOCSIS 3.0 ....... they use EURODOCSIS 3.0 which can handle closer to 450 on 8 channels :)
    damn, that's a shame. :pac:

Regardless... Even that, Is not going to happen in Ireland for a long time....

roast wrote: »
    Regardless... Even that, Is not going to happen in Ireland for a long time....
    that's what they said about the 100mbps! ;)

seriously though, yes you're right. :(

that's what they said about the 100mbps! ;)

seriously though, yes you're right. :(

Haha! Fair point...although we all knew it was gonna happen at some stage.
    And, In all fairness, we're going to have 500mbps broadband soon*. Fact!

*as long as you consider "soon" as being "a very long time" ;) Trust me.... I'm in the Industry... :D

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Same here - however this has been said to me before so ....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 dkraptor

What is the point in some people Running on 100 mb line ?

when your WiFi Card only run a Speed of 54 Mbps

True, but if you'd use a 803.11n card (Ralink 2860 for ex), everything changes, it goes up to 300Mbps. The only problem is I don't think the "amasing" Thomson TGW870UIR modem has any hardware support for the 40mhz bandwidth (default is 20mhz). At least you have the option on the modem's page, but nothing else. So, you'll be stuck with the 20mhz bandwith (144mbps). And this is just 1 of the many problems the modem has. Try to make some port forwarding with it, with at least 2 computers linked with RJ45 cables to it. Or try to activate the firewall, if you want to remember the dial-up speeds :D

dkraptor wrote: »
    True, but if you'd use a 803.11n card (Ralink 2860 for ex), everything changes, it goes up to 300Mbps. The only problem is I don't think the "amasing" Thomson TGW870UIR modem has any hardware support for the 40mhz bandwidth (default is 20mhz). At least you have the option on the modem's page, but nothing else. So, you'll be stuck with the 20mhz bandwith (144mbps). And this is just 1 of the many problems the modem has. Try to make some port forwarding with it, with at least 2 computers linked with RJ45 cables to it. Or try to activate the firewall, if you want to remember the dial-up speeds :D
    the thompson can indeed do 40Mhz channels as well as 20Mhz, although you won't make any friends with your neighbours for using it unless it's on 5Ghz with nobody else using any bandwidth as you will greatly reduce the available bandwidth and increase interference for other wifi networks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭UnleashTheBeast

Anybody got 100MB UPC in Galway City?

I'm absolutely gutted, rang UPC there, I live around the Shantalla/Taylors Hill area, very close to the City Centre. They said I'm not eligible to go over 30MB (my current package), was dead set on upgrading to 100MB. :mad: :(

Advertisement