Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 2012 PW Draft *Discussion thread - voting info post 2048*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭Cactus Colm

Tbh, if someone has spent a pick on him, I think it's only fair everyone else not use him then...

I'd agree with that. There's plenty other commentators to use instead (if they have to be named at all).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

I'd agree with that. There's plenty other commentators to use instead (if they have to be named at all).
    Well Michael Cole is gone too. I have Tazz but no way am I using him as a commentator, Vince is gone too.

While it may sound pedantic, I think JR is somewhat more apt at capturing moments of high intensity and I've always used him as my commentator in my write ups without having drafted him. I know I'm not the only one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭waltersobchak

If someone Drafts Michael Cole or JR as onscreen talent, then we have no right to use them as commentators in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,491 ✭✭✭thebostoncrab

Dejavu!!!! I knew there was a debate from last year that never got settled.

I don't understand the rationale behind not using a commentators name. A commentators name in a write up won't add to a storyline, take away from it or anything important to the draft. I mean who here honestly will say something like "Oh, I was going to give him my number one spot, but he had Michael Cole as a commentator."

At the same what, if a commentator is drafted then I think you should use them in your own write ups if they are going to be involved in an angle somehow. For example, Dolph Ziggler looses a match and then assaults JR out of frustration. That should only be allowed if you drafted said commentator.

To sum, I think it's perfectly ok to use a commentators name in your write ups if they have been drafted since its not something that will get you or loose you votes. However it's not ok if you decide to use the commentator in an angle since that could get you votes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭Garseys

If someone Drafts Michael Cole or JR as onscreen talent, then we have no right to use them as commentators in my opinion.

yup, I fully intend to use Sir Michael Cole as an on-air personality...

If I had my choice of commentary team, it would have been Gorilla/Ventura or Ventura/McMahon hence why I was disappointed he was drafted (good pick though (TSC?)

• Advertisement

BREAKING NEWS

Fusion Pro Wrestling has come to terms with the release of Stan Hansen. When Fusion Pro Wrestling revealed the location of its PPV, Mr. Hansen revealed that he has visa problems with the country, and thus will not be able to travel. Because all of our contracts with the venue had been signed and flights booked, we had no choice but grant Mr. Hansen his release.

However, Stan has ensured that our fans are not left in the dark, and worked out a deal with his new home. We are pleased to announce that Marafuji Naoimichi has joined our roster.

Fusion Pro Wrestling:
    1) Alberto Del Rio
    2) The Great Sasuke
    3) 'Stone Cold' Steve Austin
    4) Vampiro
    4) The Great Muta
    5) Sin Cara/Místico
    5) El Hijo Del Santo
    6) Low Ki
    6) 'The Fallen Angel' Christopher Daniels
    7) Colt Cabana
    7) El Generico
    8) Chavo Guerrero Jnr
    9) Marafuji Naoimichi

• Registered Users Posts: 45,558 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

The rule of thumb in previous years was not to include commentators to avoid a situation where a person could say, 'Vote for my roster because I have the greatest announcer ever unlike the other rosters.'

I think this is the right mindset as we want the winning roster to be determined by the on-air talent and not people that are secondary to that.

I would agree that no one should use J.R. in an on-air capacity now, i.e. like a GM or manager since he has been drafted, but I don't see an issue in people writing their commentary J.R.-style because so many of us are conditioned into thinking this way from years of listening to the guy. As tbc says, the commentary won't win or lose votes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

Well I assumed because Michael Cole was chosen that Jim Ross would be chosen too and I really need JR for commentary. I woudnt have picked JR until I seen Michael Cole had been drafted! And so I thought JR would be picked at some point too. Can I pick again for this round. I know who I want and its not who the person after me chose. I am new to this draft afterall.:)

again, I'm new like Primal, I've drafted Cole specifically as a non-announcer and wanted to do so since I picked Heyman earlier on.

if I need to remake my pick I will but he has been written into my story in a crucial role.

Garseys wrote: »
    again, I'm new like Primal, I've drafted Cole specifically as a non-announcer and wanted to do so since I picked Heyman earlier on.

if I need to remake my pick I will but he has been written into my story in a crucial role.

No. Your pick is fine. However I dont want to waste a pick on someone who I just want as commentator for now. If I want him onscreen I would pick him in a later round as I have other priorities now. Now I understand that commentators can be used by anyone I would like to pick again. Please! :D

• Advertisement

Oh noononoono, if you want to use him in an on-screen role then draft him! We are just talking about the actual write up side of things, for example someone writes the names of their commentators, that's all. Just that if you see his name on someone else commentating team during their writes up don't feel like they are stealing your pick because it won't actually make a difference to the votes.

Oh noononoono, if you want to use him in an on-screen role then draft him! We are just talking about the actual write up side of things, for example someone writes the names of their commentators, that's all. Just that if you see his name on someone else commentating team during their writes up don't feel like they are stealing your pick because it won't actually make a difference to the votes.

One last question, who the hell would want Michael Cole commentating?:pac:

The rule of thumb in previous years was not to include commentators to avoid a situation where a person could say, 'Vote for my roster because I have the greatest announcer ever unlike the other rosters.'

I think this is the right mindset as we want the winning roster to be determined by the on-air talent and not people that are secondary to that.

I would agree that no one should use J.R. in an on-air capacity now, i.e. like a GM or manager since he has been drafted, but I don't see an issue in people writing their commentary J.R.-style because so many of us are conditioned into thinking this way from years of listening to the guy. As tbc says, the commentary won't win or lose votes.

Hold on. That's a bit unfair isn't it? If commentators can be picked, then they should be restricted to the roster they were picked on.

IF people started writing their shows with certain commentators in mind, then that's their tough luck.

Otherwise, what's to stop me from having a commentating team of JR, Randy Savage, and JBL, Steve Austin as a ring announcer, and The Rock as a time keeper.

The rules are a bit vague on whether or not commentators are eligible to be picked:
    - Managers and female wrestlers are eligible if people wish to pick them. Commentators have not been included in recent years.
    It doesn't say that they are eligible, or ineligible for picks, just that previously they weren't.

If they're eligible to be picked, then they should be treated the exact same as any other pick and be restricted to the roster / shows in question.

If they're not eligible to be picked, then Primal should be allowed to pick again.

Hold on. That's a bit unfair isn't it? If commentators can be picked, then they should be restricted to the roster they were picked on.

IF people started writing their shows with certain commentators in mind, then that's their tough luck.

Otherwise, what's to stop me from having a commentating team of JR, Randy Savage, and JBL, Steve Austin as a ring announcer, and The Rock as a time keeper.

The rules are a bit vague on whether or not commentators are eligible to be picked:

It doesn't say that they are eligible, or ineligible for picks, just that previously they weren't.

If they're eligible to be picked, then they should be treated the exact same as any other pick and be restricted to the roster / shows in question.

If they're not eligible to be picked, then Primal should be allowed to pick again.

One question, simple yes or no and it should explain why writing down a commentators name, providied they have no involvement with a angle other than helping with the writing. If someone write that they had JR and Macho Man as their commentators, would that actually make you give them a point or take away a point from them?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭Spongey1975

The rule is there so people dont draft commentators to be used exclusively as a commentator. If they have been used as on air talent then they become available as on air talent but people like to use commentators names on their write ups and i see no problem with that. Feel free to use Stone Cold as a time keeper as long as he doesnt get involved in the storylines, it certainly wont get you any extra votes

PS....can someone put up draw for round 9 and will it be a stip round?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭D2D

Just a head up, I'll be doing the draw for Round 9 in a while and it'll be a stip round

On the commentator thing, I think that if someone has used a pick on a commentator, the commentator should only be allowed on that persons brand. On the whole, it's a bit of a grey area on commentators in the draft but if someone feels like the commentator would be an asset as an on-screen talent, then, imo, it's only fair that the rest of us doesn't use him :)

Just a head up, I'll be doing the draw for Round 9 in a while and it'll be a stip round

On the commentator thing, I think that if someone has used a pick on a commentator, the commentator should only be allowed on that persons brand. On the whole, it's a bit of a grey area on commentators in the draft but if someone feels like the commentator would be an asset as an on-screen talent, then, imo, it's only fair that the rest of us doesn't use him :)

I think if the rules in previous years were that anyone can use any commentator they want then you shoud keep thise rules and let me pick again. No point changing the rules halfway through this draft from what they were in previous years.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,558 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Well when I did the first draft I put it out there if people wanted commentators and the overwhelming answer was no. People wanted commentators to essentially be free-for-all.

If we take the example of Lawler, often people were using him on their commentary team but only the person who had drafted him could utilise him as the wrestler.

The rule is basically suggesting to participants not to bother picking a commentator because you can have access to them anyway.

I'm not dead set on it one way or another to be honest. What I would feel strongly about is like I said earlier - someone arguing for their roster on the grounds that they have the best commentary team. I think that misses the point entirely.

The rules are hazy like but I agree with the sentiments in TBC's post. Also have no issue with you picking again

• Registered Users Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭D2D

Round 9 draw is up!

• Advertisement

Perfect! This round is one that I needed a high number for, here's hoping my pick doesn't go between the first four lads!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

Last year I opened my shows with cole and lawler calling the action, I didn't think it was a problem because they would be no way involved with the stories. I briefly touched on lawlers attitude and personality when I was using the beautiful people.
    I think the same should be done this year. Didn't flah give announcing duties to Michael o murtaig a year or two ago?
    He wasnt drafted but could be freely used as a commentator. But a decision should be made this year so everyone knows where they stand.

jeeze another low pick, myself and Liz have had back luck this end of the draft I have to say...

One question, simple yes or no and it should explain why writing down a commentators name, providied they have no involvement with a angle other than helping with the writing. If someone write that they had JR and Macho Man as their commentators, would that actually make you give them a point or take away a point from them?

probably not... but I don't plan on picking any commentators either. I just think if you have picked a person they should be completely off limits to everyone else.
    Well when I did the first draft I put it out there if people wanted commentators and the overwhelming answer was no. People wanted commentators to essentially be free-for-all.

If we take the example of Lawler, often people were using him on their commentary team but only the person who had drafted him could utilise him as the wrestler.

The rule is basically suggesting to participants not to bother picking a commentator because you can have access to them anyway.

I'm not dead set on it one way or another to be honest. What I would feel strongly about is like I said earlier - someone arguing for their roster on the grounds that they have the best commentary team. I think that misses the point entirely.

In the first draft it didn't matter as much though, as people doing write ups wasn't much of an issue .... I think they've only really become important over the last few years.

I should say I might be coming across stronger than I mean to in some posts, I'm not that pushed on the situation, just think it should be clear for Primal. (I'll keep my mouth shut about it from here on in though)

• Registered Users Posts: 85,686 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Garseys wrote: »
    jeeze another low pick, myself and Liz have had back luck this end of the draft I have to say...

This was the one round really needed a high draw number :(

Was hoping for a high draw here to compensate for the the low draws I got in the first three. Not to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭Machismo Fan

And now a dilemma, I had no intention of picking a pre-1970's wrestler but the great draw could change my mind in that regard.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭campo

Voltwad wrote: »
    Was hoping for a high draw here to compensate for the the low draws I got in the first three. Not to be.
    Getting good luck with the draws this year

• Registered Users Posts: 85,686 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

And now a dilemma, I had no intention of picking a pre-1970's wrestler but the great draw could change my mind in that regard.

If u dont want your high draw I'll swap u ;) or u could make a pick for me and trade later :) (I thought I'd chance asking)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭Machismo Fan

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    If u dont want your high draw I'll swap u ;) or u could make a pick for me and trade later :) (I thought I'd chance asking)

Nah, there's still some post-70's people I want to ensure I get so the high draw is still useful.

Advertisement