Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Single Mothers to stage a protest at budget cuts

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Doom

I wonder would this meeting be a good place to pick up a woman.....with her own gaff and all;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

I work 24-7 looking after my babies, I need to be at home with them when they are this young.

Some mothers work 24/7 looking after babies and working outside the home. It is possible to have a job and be a mother.
    I have sympathy for some single mothers but not for those who have several children, not including separated mothers here btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

pragmatic1 wrote: »
    Why not get a job and work like everyone else mammy? hmmm.

xP1X4.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Concerned Mammy

hondasam wrote: »
    Some mothers work 24/7 looking after babies and working outside the home. It is possible to have a job and be a mother.
    I have sympathy for some single mothers but not for those who have several children, not including separated mothers here btw.

How am I supposed to work and look after 4 kids too? This is easy for you say because you are probably a man and dont know what its like to be a single mother!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

How am I supposed to work and look after 4 kids too? This is easy for you say because you are probably a man and dont know what its like to be a single mother!!

You tell him mammy.

Do none of the four fathers give you anything towards raising your babies?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

I reckon it's extremely difficult if not impossible unless there is some family support. Granny looking after the kids while the mam is out working or whatever.

Childcare costs a fortune. The average 2 parent family spend 29% of their income on it. So for a single parent family it could easilly cost half of what the person is making.

hmm, maybe that's what the government should be doing instead of just throwing money at the problem.. providing subsidised childcare facilities to single parent families.

I dunno, how does everyone else manage to work and look after kids.
    I am not a man. Motherhood does not entitle you to sit at home all day.
    You should be out working and providing for your children and teaching them a good example.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Not be a single mum?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

I think CM is taking the proverbial and lives under a bridge. And maybe even an alter ego somewhere here on boards ;)

I am not a man. Motherhood does not entitle you to sit at home all day.
    You should be out working and providing for your children and teaching them a good example.

How dare you! I teach them a good example by looking after them. This is just a typical attitude, get angry at the mothers but dont bat an eyelid about the fathers getting them pregnant! I work 24-7 looking after my babies, I dont sit around all day!! :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Boxoffrogs wrote: »
    What's your point?

For arguments sake (and this is certainly not the case), even if Rent Supplement was only paid out to lone parents and you add on fuel allowance and back to school payments for this category of claimant, you would still arrive slightly south of 2 billion. In reality it's well below that figure.

I billion fraudulently claimed? over 50% of claimants?

Well, its 25% so far and they're still investigating. http://www.independent.ie/national-news/1in4-lone-parent-claims-are-bogus-2886884.html

Not counting the "legal" fraud as I call it, the careerists who are perfectly entitled to have kids till they're into their 40's with no withdrawal of benefits after having that 2nd kid while claiming.

I reckon it's extremely difficult if not impossible unless there is some family support. Granny looking after the kids while the mam is out working or whatever.

I don't agree with this at all, everything is possible if you work hard enough.
    Hobbes wrote: »
    Not be a single mum?

Some single mum's work.

How dare you! I teach them a good example by looking after them. This is just a typical attitude, get angry at the mothers but dont bat an eyelid about the fathers getting them pregnant! I work 24-7 looking after my babies, I dont sit around all day!! :mad:

Oh shut up, you are sitting around now trolling on here. You let yourself get pregnant, no point in blaming the men.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

Did you have no part in the getting pregnant?

I don't agree with this at all, everything is possible if you work hard enough.

You don't have to agree with it.. it's a fact, unfortunately.

You don't have to agree with it.. it's a fact, unfortunately.

What is a fact? that single mothers cannot work? give me a break.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Hobbes wrote: »
    Abortions are legal now? When did that happen?

Fair enough. But they didn't force people to have sex and get pregnant. I'm all for abortion options being made available. If you want to take that stance, I'll back you up. But the government certainly did not force her to have 4 kids, did they? One could be a mistake you could be excused for, maybe two. But four?
    Yea lets get those kids working as soon as possible. It is called Child benefit for a reason.

Also to nitpick, you are entitled to get some of your taxes back on benefits.

Continuing the nitpicking, you missed my point. My problem is with the word "entitlement". The kids are helped, aided, and benefit from assistance. They are given benefits. They are not "entitled" to anything. We help them because as a society, we value our children, but that value is not the same as entitlement.

I'm 24 with a few degrees. I deserve a job in my opinion but I'm not entitled to one. I have to work hard and prove myself. Entitlement is a big problem in Ireland; everyone believes its some God-given right to get everything they want when the truth is we have to work hard for it. This belief that everything should come free and easy was propagated by the Celtic tiger but we need to get over it quickly.

My babies have the right to go to bed at night not feeling hungry. This is a typical male response, NO idea how hard it is to raise children. Do you consider basic human rights like food, clothing and houses to be a luxury!! :mad:

*Yawn* How bout dropping the sexism line and trying to come up with logical responses rather than trying to attack the poster. Personal attacks is the sign of a lazy debater or one with a weak point.

Of course your baby has the right to not starve to death. No one is saying otherwise. But you claimed you were entitled to something because you made the decision to be a single mother with four kids. If you cannot provide for them, you should not have had them. You are entitled to nothing but rather you are asking the government to do what you refused to; take responsibility for your kids and give them an upbringing. I have the utmost respect for stay at home mothers. I have no respect for people who think they are entitled to something because they made a decision and expect others to pay for it.

MagicSean wrote: »
    Did you have no part in the getting pregnant?

Of course I had a part!! I never said I didnt:mad:

The same sexist pigs who run this government and bail out millionaires are the first to target some of the most vunerable in society, mothers and children! I hope this protest teaches them we mothers are not going to take this! :mad:

What is a fact? that single mothers cannot work? give me a break.

Did I say that? Give yourself a break and stop reacting so childishly to what people are posting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 458 ✭✭Boxoffrogs

gurramok wrote: »
    Well, its 25% so far and they're still investigating. http://www.independent.ie/national-news/1in4-lone-parent-claims-are-bogus-2886884.html

Not counting the "legal" fraud as I call it, the careerists who are perfectly entitled to have kids till they're into their 40's with no withdrawal of benefits after having that 2nd kid while claiming.

From that article;
    As revealed by the new report, as a part of a targeted investigation of lone parent payment recipients, who receive up to €188 per week, more than one quarter of those examined had payments terminated on the basis that they were bogus.

I've bolded some of the text as I think it's very telling. Looks like the 'report' engendered the response it was intended to judging by the comments I've read here today.

• Advertisement

Did I say that? Give yourself a break and stop reacting so childishly to what people are posting

Yes you did, that is the quote you replied to, was it not what you meant?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

Of course I had a part!! I never said I didnt:mad:

The same sexist pigs who run this government and bail out millionaires are the first to target some of the most vunerable in society, mothers and children! I hope this protest teaches them we mothers are not going to take this! :mad:
    How are mothers vunerable? sure children need a break but you decided to have a child on a planet with over seven billion people YOU decided to add another mouth it is YOUR responsibilty not the tax payers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

Can anyone give me a link to stats on how many fathers receive the Lone Parent payment?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

I read somewhere that they are actually protesting the 25c increase on smokes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

Childcare costs a fortune. The average 2 parent family spend 29% of their income on it. So for a single parent family it could easilly cost half of what the person is making.

hmm, maybe that's what the government should be doing instead of just throwing money at the problem.. providing subsidised childcare facilities to single parent families.

Once the children reach school age it becomes less of a problem, my sister was able to complete a degree raising two kids on her own once they started in school.

How are mothers vunerable? sure children need a break but you decided to have a child on a planet with over seven billion people YOU decided to add another mouth it is YOUR responsibilty not the tax payers.

I did NOT decide this, it is men who walk out and leave the WOMEN to look after the babies ALONE, should we women and mothers struggle through life because all these men are not willing to support and look after their kids? Its men who get us into this situation, and now its men in this government who are going to punish us for struggling through life! If you had to look after babies on your own then youd know how hard it is. And we have the right to fight and protect our entitlements because a lot of us couldnt get by without them, some sexists here make out that we just go out to make babies to get more money off the government, how DARE you!!!. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

EGAR wrote: »
    Can anyone give me a link to stats on how many fathers receive the Lone Parent payment?

Don't have the latest stats

Key facts about One Family:
    One Family has been supporting one-parent families in Ireland for 35 years.
    One Family Services provide direct training and support to one-parent families.
    One Family Policy works for fundamental change in Ireland, lobbying to ensure equality for one-parent families in Ireland.
    One Family believes that happy families build happy futures so we work continuously to empower lone parents to create positive futures for themselves and their families.
    Key facts about one-parent families in Ireland:
    1 in 8 people in Ireland live in a one-parent family (Census 2006).
    1 in 6 families in Ireland is a one-parent family (Census 2006.)
    Nearly half a million people live in one-parent families (Census 2006).
    The number of one-parent families increased by 35,350 since 2002 (Census 2006)
    The number of lone-parent families with children under 18 years of age increased by 41% between 2002 and 2006.
    14 per cent of one-parent families are headed by a father (Census 2006).
    1 in 5 children live in a one-parent family (Census 2006).
    8% of one-parent families have a child with a disability compared to 5% of two-parent families
    There are 190,000 one-parent families in Ireland today – 18 per cent of all families (Census 2006).
    One-parent families are at greater risk of poverty than most other families. You are 4.5 times more likely to live in poverty if you live in a one-parent family (EU-SILC 2006).
    10 per cent of one-parent families are living ‘with other persons’ (Census 2006).
    Overall in 2006, 36 per cent of lone parents were single, 30 per cent were separated or divorced and 29 per cent were widowed.
    Key Facts about the One-Parent Family Payment:
    84,364 people are currently receiving the One-Parent Family Payment (December 2007). This has increased from 59,000 in 1997.
    76.7% of current recipients are unmarried; 11.7% separated; 7.6% divorced; 3% deserted
    98% of recipients are women
    60% of those receiving the OPFP are in employment
    58% of recipients have one child; 27% have two children; 10% have three children
    The percentage of OPFP recipients under 30 years of age is falling (41.6%)
    The percentage of OPFP recipients over 30 is increasing (currently 58.4%)
    The number of teenage mothers fell from 4.4% in 1997 to 2.2% in 2007
    29, 600 OPFP recipients (35%) are on reduced personal rate due to income- vast majority down to earnings
    Social Welfare Facts & Figures

http://onefamily.ie/media-statistics

• Registered Users Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

Anyone wrote: »
    I read somewhere that they are actually protesting the 25c increase on smokes.

If there is a protest for that - I'm there! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,714 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

Why are they protesting? Im aware that the increased payments for third and subsequent kids has been removed but is there something else? It never made sense anyhow, surely with hand me downs etc costs go down, not up.

I think that the very well off shouldnt get child support and everyone else should get it via a laser card only redeemable against products and services that benefit a child.

Many single mothers are productive members of the economy and most others wish to be unfortunately there are others that bring discredit to them. Some people seem to be picking on the women here but the men are just as bad. If a woman is getting a home as a single parent and has an undeclared partner living there he is just as fraudulant as she is.

Unfortunately we can no longer give hand outs so easily and we have to balance making people resposible for their own actions and choices while at the same time protecting the most vulnerable people in society children.

Allowing parents spend child benefit on whatever they want rather then what its intended for makes no sense and puts a lot of kids in danger of being deprived of necessities.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

I did NOT decide this, it is men who walk out and leave the WOMEN to look after the babies ALONE, should we women and mothers struggle through life because all these men are not willing to support and look after their kids? Its men who get us into this situation, and now its men in this government who are going to punish us for struggling through life! If you had to look after babies on your own then youd know how hard it is. And we have the right to fight and protect our entitlements because a lot of us couldnt get by without them. :mad:

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.

Fancy going for a drink sometime Mammy?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement