Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Single Mothers to stage a protest at budget cuts

Options

Comments

TheZohan wrote: »
    For anyone that's interested in joining their protest they can join them this Saturday:

Where:

30 Harcourt Street
    Dublin 2

When:

10th December, 10pm 'til late.

.......... Usen't it be the first Tuesday of the month

• Closed Accounts Posts: 810 ✭✭✭Fear Uladh

Childrens allowance should be abolished for anyone earning over 40,000 a year and even that is a stretch.

Rich people don't have the right to childrens allowance, it should be safeguarded for the vulnerable in society. Not to mention means tested.

As for the "Career mammys", well there should be a system in place to monitor long term claimants and given the chance to up skill in a worthwhile profession.

The change in age to 7 is absolutely fair enough in my opinion, but for the needy as stated before.

Lastly, I like how certain female posters in this forum like to blame deadbeat dads for societys ills, how about the mothers that refuse or restrict access?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭billybudd

You know what. I'm fcuking sick of the attitude of people on these boards towards single mothers. That image you have in your head of a skanger with a can in one hand, a fag in the other and a 4 year old pushing the pram with the twins in it... They're not all like that.

There are single mothers, who don't want to be single mothers...but the father's fcuked off. The men can just leave and the woman are left holding the baby. They are raising the future of this country and they deserve our support, and our respect.

Right now, I'm a stay at home dad, and every day I wonder how on earth someone can do this, as well as all the washing and ironing etc, on their own.

For some keyboard warrior who probably lives with his mother and father to just dismiss them with a smart arse comment. Pisses me off tbh.

As tough as it is for a bona fide single parents, there is an atronomical amount of people taking advantage of the system and corrupting it not just for single parents but for all of us, you can hardly expect people to be supporting this cause when everyone if given a little thought knows someone scamming the state: our taxes. moan all you want but that is the way it is, sadly having 4 or five kids now is niche earner. pun intended

• Closed Accounts Posts: 253 ✭✭Pinklady11

Honestly, the ignorance of some people on this forum is disgusting.

I'm a single mother of 2 kids. I recently started a new job but thanks to this governments cutbacks I now stand to lose a further €70 a week on top of what I already lost on the means test. By the time I pay my childcare costs, petrol etc it's actually no benefit for me to go to work and one of the reasons I went to work was because I couldn't afford not to.

All I want is a little helping hand to get back on my feet and provide a better life for my children. If the government provided more incentives to get these mothers back to work they would do it but it seems they keep coming up against a brick wall.

Not many women set out to single mothers, I know I certainly didn't but thats the hand life has dealt me and I have to deal with it. Personally I can't wait for the day when I'll be able to support myself and my kids but at the moment the future looks bleak.

It's a disgrace the way people look down their nose at women like me. I'm a very good mother, my kids come first. I don't go out drinking or have any luxuries yet I struggle to pay for the essentials. People who think it's a great life with everything handed to us on plate is severely misled.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

At over 76k, there are more babies born (per capita) in Ireland than in any other EU country.
    32% of births are to single mothers.
    24% of mothers born outside Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

moco wrote: »
    Not like that obviously. I knew somebody would say that!:pac:

A normal apartment block where everyone goes about their business as usual, but they aren’t allowed to move partners in…and there’s a free crèche. It would take away the incentive for some people to get pregnant to get a free house.

You can repeat it as many times as you like, it still won't change what you've suggested.

Now I know there are some career babbay makers, but the majority of the single mothers that I know are decent girls that either got pregnant by accident and decided to have the child, or girls that were in relationships that they thought were secure and had a baby only for their relationship to break down afterwards or for the baby daddy to leg it because the responsibility of looking after a bambino for 18+ years was too much.

To think that the majority of single mothers wanted to be single parents or that these "apartment blocks" as you call them will stop single girls getting pregnant is absurd.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

For anyone that's interested in joining their protest they can join them this Saturday:

Where:

30 Harcourt Street
    Dublin 2

When:

10th December, 10pm 'til late.
    Nasty and uncalled for tut tut, Is there a happy hour there

• Registered Users Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Tayla

Gophur wrote: »
    Fair enough, but why should the taxpayer have to fund this sector?

Eh maybe because they already fund jobseekers and every other situation where the person can't work? Who's going to feed the children if the taxpayers don't fund them? Where will they live?

There are hundreds of thousands on the dole and if they didn't give single parents this payment they would have to give them the dole or a different payment. What do you think is going to happen when these women have their lone parents payment cut when their child turns 7? Yep that's right, they're all going to go on the dole and claim increases for the children. It's not actually going to save any money.
    Gophur wrote: »
    Why does Ireland not have something like the Child Support Agency, chasing the errant fathers? It's ll too easy in Ireland. It doesn't matter if a girl gets caught, the State is expected to pick up the tab.

There are plenty of single mothers where the father does pay the maintenance required by the state, I'm open to correction on this but I think a lot of people pay less than €50.

Then of course there are the men who won't pay at all.

Women bring these fathers to court when they won't pay court ordered maintenance which can build up to thousands and the judge wipes all the arrears! Blame the judges!

Pinklady11 wrote: »

I'm a single mother of 2 kids. I recently started a new job but thanks to this governments cutbacks I now stand to lose a further €70 a week on top of what I already lost on the means test. By the time I pay my childcare costs, petrol etc it's actually no benefit for me to go to work and one of the reasons I went to work was because I couldn't afford not to.

All I want is a little helping hand to get back on my feet and provide a better life for my children. If the government provided more incentives to get these mothers back to work they would do it but it seems they keep coming up against a brick wall.

Not many women set out to single mothers, I know I certainly didn't but thats the hand life has dealt me and I have to deal with it. Personally I can't wait for the day when I'll be able to support myself and my kids but at the moment the future looks bleak.

It's a disgrace the way people look down their nose at women like me. I'm a very good mother, my kids come first. I don't go out drinking or have any luxuries yet I struggle to pay for the essentials. People who think it's a great life with everything handed to us on plate is severely misled.

For some its very hard, but for others it is a walk in the park.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

Have you sought maintenance from the father?

• Advertisement

Tayla wrote: »
    Eh maybe because they already fund jobseekers and every other situation where the person can't work? Who's going to feed the children if the taxpayers don't fund them? Where will they live?

There are hundreds of thousands on the dole and if they didn't give single parents this payment they would have to give them the dole or a different payment. What do you think is going to happen when these women have their lone parents payment cut when their child turns 7? Yep that's right, they're all going to go on the dole and claim increases for the children. It's not actually going to save any money.

There are plenty of single mothers where the father does pay the maintenance required by the state, I'm open to correction on this but I think a lot of people pay less than €50.

Then of course there are the men who won't pay at all.

Women bring these fathers to court when they won't pay court ordered maintenance which can build up to thousands and the judge wipes all the arrears! Blame the judges!

Do not believe any judge has just wiped away arrears. if thats the case why would they not do it on mortgages!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭Glenster

A large conglomeration of certified 'easy cluge'? Count me in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

No Tax payers should not have to pay for abortions nor should anyone be forced to abort.

You know dozens of girls who became pregnant using various different contraceptive methods?

Ah here now yee cant be all that unlucky in fairness. Or do you need condoms made of asbestos?

I can bet that if mickey money wasn't so handy available you'd see how careful people would be.

All but one of the girls I'm talking to were either from well off families, or had decent jobs in the first place - and only 2 of them were single (not anymore).
    I'm just saying that it happens ALOT!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

Glenster wrote: »
    A large conglomeration of certified 'easy cluge'? Count me in.

Think the word you're looking for is "clunge"

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭moco

You can repeat it as many times as you like, it still won't change what you've suggested.

Now I know there are some career babbay makers, but the majority of the single mothers that I know are decent girls that either got pregnant by accident and decided to have the child, or girls that were in relationships that they thought were secure and had a baby only for their relationship to break down afterwards or for the baby daddy to leg it because the responsibility of looking after a bambino for 18+ years was too much.

To think that the majority of single mothers wanted to be single parents or that these "apartment blocks" as you call them will stop single girls getting pregnant is absurd.

I didn't say it would stop single girls getting pregnant, but it would take away the incentive for the few who get pregnant deliberately for a free house and a handy existence.

If I was single and found myself pregnant with nowhere to live, I'd be very glad of a free apartment and childcare so I could work and give myself and my child a better future.

billybudd wrote: »
    [/B]

Do not believe any judge has just wiped away arrears. if thats the case why would they not do it on mortgages!

There's always threads on rollercoaster.ie about it, women waiting for months and months to get their day in court when the ex won't pay a cent, owed hundreds or thousands in some cases, judge wipes it a lot of the time.

Mortgage arrears are different, they're owed to the bank.
    The maintenance arrears are owed to the parent who has custody of the children so it's completely different.

All but one of the girls I'm talking to were either from well off families, or had decent jobs in the first place - and only 2 of them were single (not anymore).
    I'm just saying that it happens ALOT!

I can understand a mistake like this happening once, its massive the birth of a child with alot of needs emotional, physical and mental and if the parent is in difficulty they should be helped and no one would begrudge that.

But 2,3,4 and so on mistakes?

You see the VAST majority of single moms are like this.
    Only very few are actually scamming the system, having fancy holidays, or getting pregnant on purpose etc...

But for some reason, there are just so many absolute idiots who can't see the wood from the trees and believe all this nonsense and tar everyone with the same brush.

Why oh why are people so stupid? It physically pains me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 253 ✭✭Pinklady11

MagicSean wrote: »
    Have you sought maintenance from the father?

Yes and that too is means test which further reduces the payments

There's always threads on rollercoaster.ie about it, women waiting for months and months to get their day in court when the ex won't pay a cent, owed hundreds or thousands in some cases, judge wipes it a lot of the time.

The maintenance arrears are owed to the parent who has custody of the children so it's completely different.

They are both legally binding, i am not saying its not true, i have just never heard of a judge wiping away arrears and would be shocked if this was true.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭KindOfIrish

scholar007 wrote: »

I'll contribute a few condoms to their cause........
    You are an idiot. Have you ever been to a normal developed country? Do you know that in every civilized and developed country exists a comprehensive childcare from 7am till 7pm? Thanks God, I was born and raised abroad and my mother was able to work full time since my age of 3. Single mother's problem, is a problem of barbaric anglo-saxon capitalist countries.:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

I propose a counter taxpayers demonstration.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,411 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

Obvioulsly everyones situation is different. You're one of the few single mothers I would imagine actually trying to work and make a life for themselves.

Majority of women do not set out to be single mothers But we're all adults and make adult decisions when hopping into bed with someone. We are all well aware of the consequences.

They are both legally binding, i am not saying its not true, i have just never heard of a judge wiping away arrears and would be shocked if this was true.

They do, apparently they can only go after the last 6 months in arrears so if someone doesn't pay for years then they get away with most of it.

If only all other bills were like that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 905 ✭✭✭FUNKY LOVER

Only very few are actually scamming the system, having fancy holidays, or getting pregnant on purpose etc...

But for some reason, there are just so many absolute idiots who can't see the wood from the trees and believe all this nonsense and tar everyone with the same brush.

I think its more the stupididy of getting pregnant with no plan in place to support the kid etc,that's what annoys people.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

By the time I pay my childcare costs, petrol etc it's actually no benefit for me to go to work and one of the reasons I went to work was because I couldn't afford not to.

There is no benefit to going back to work except for knowing that you're contributing towards our society rather than just taking.

By not going back to work you excempt yourself from career growth thus reducing your future potential take home pay

Were in a bad situation financially now because we've given way to much in benefits and now people have become reliant on them.

The only thing this means is we're living still beyond our means.

This country has to be one of the worst for not only benefit fraud but over spending and living on the brink.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

I've observed a lot of family court and I've rarely seen this happen

It's not about scamming the system or getting pregnant on purpose. The majority of single parents are responsable for their situation to some degree. If you are not in a stable or secure relationship then you shouldn't have a child and expect the state to fund you when things go bad.

I can understand a mistake like this happening once, its massive the birth of a child with alot of needs emotional, physical and mental and if the parent is in difficulty they should be helped and no one would begrudge that.

But 2,3,4 and so on mistakes?

I'm not a single parent, but I am a young parent (well I think maybe I'm getting old now? :( )
    Anyway, I have had 2 (happy?!) mistakes!
    My own stupidity though - nothing to do with contraception.

But I have talked to so many people who have ended up pregnant through no fault of their own.

I have never heard it happening to the same person twice though - they would just have to be extremely unlucky!

MagicSean wrote: »
    I've observed a lot of family court and I've rarely seen this happen

Maybe not but all I know is that people on that forum say that it happens all the time, they can only go after 6 months arrears.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭carfiosaoorl

mickdw wrote: »
    Why are single mothers with one kid given 3/4 bedroom houses from social welfare?

They're not :rolleyes:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement