Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Single Mothers to stage a protest at budget cuts

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

I think its more the stupididy of getting pregnant with no plan in place to support the kid etc,that's what annoys people.

As someone already pointed out - Two to tango.
    You rarely hear the father being bashed to the same degree as the mother in these cases.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭billybudd

You see the VAST majority of single moms are like this.
    Only very few are actually scamming the system, having fancy holidays, or getting pregnant on purpose etc...

But for some reason, there are just so many absolute idiots who can't see the wood from the trees and believe all this nonsense and tar everyone with the same brush.

Why oh why are people so stupid? It physically pains me.

Oh come on, 1 billion in false claims is not widespread?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

- Give equal rights to fathers, including giving dads proper paternity leave

- Start forcing absent parents to pay for the child

- Cut child benefit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

Tayla wrote: »
    Maybe not but all I know is that people on that forum say that it happens all the time, they can only go after 6 months arrears.

6 months is plenty. Why would you not bring proceedings against him before that?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

billybudd wrote: »

But I have talked to so many people who have ended up pregnant through no fault of their own.

Takes two to tango ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 253 ✭✭Pinklady11

There is no benefit to going back to work except for knowing that you're contributing towards our society rather than just taking.

By not going back to work you excempt yourself from career growth thus reducing your future potential take home pay

Were in a bad situation financially now because we've given way to much in benefits and now people have become reliant on them.

The only thing this means is we're living still beyond our means.

This country has to be one of the worst for not only benefit fraud but over spending and living on the brink.

I'm not going to quit my job. (Took me long enough to get one!) I'm more than happy to go out and contribute to society. I want to better myself. I have put myself through 2 years of college already and it's all to try better myself and get off social welfare. Most of the changes will come in the new year. I'm going to keep working with the hope that maybe things will get better but I'm very doubtful at the moment.

Pinklady11 wrote: »
    Yes and that too is means test which further reduces the payments

So your pay cheque, maintenance, child benefit and lone parents allowance is not enough?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 905 ✭✭✭FUNKY LOVER

I think its more the stupididy of getting pregnant with no plan in place to support the kid etc,that's what annoys people.

As someone already pointed out - Two to tango.
    You rarely hear the father being bashed to the same degree as the mother in these cases.
    That's because in most cases the mother gets custody and so the benefits etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Tayla

MagicSean wrote: »
    6 months is plenty. Why would you not bring proceedings against him before that?

Maybe because there's a waiting list, I don't know much about it to be honest but I think there was some kind of reform in the system in the last year or so which led to a lot of court actions being delayed while the new system was implemented.

Anyway, why would such a restriction even be in place? Surely it should be judged on an individual basis?

That's because in most cases the mother gets custody and so the benefits etc.

Not only that, it is also completely the mothers choice as to wether they have the child in the first place. The father has no input.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

I'm not going to quit my job. (Took me long enough to get one!) I'm more than happy to go out and contribute to society. I want to better myself. I have put myself through 2 years of college already and it's all to try better myself and get off social welfare. Most of the changes will come in the new year. I'm going to keep working with the hope that maybe things will get better but I'm very doubtful at the moment.

That's good to hear and I applaud you for it. We're all in financially tough positions and there's very little we can do about it and yes realistically things are going to get worse in the years to come.

The only thing I can say is continue to work hard and reward will eventually come (at least that's what I keep telling myself)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

ted1 wrote: »
    Make the babies daddy pay for them. if they can't name the baby daddy they get nothing.

if the baby daddy doesn't pay, take it at source via reduced tax credits or from his doel.

Women have no obligation to support their children, why should men?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭Orando Broom

Think the word you're looking for is "clunge"

That, or he is tyring to cheat in a Thlreasure Hlunth.

MagicSean wrote: »
    So your pay cheque, maintenance, child benefit and lone parents allowance is not enough?

My pay cheque (with the new cutbacks) will be completely absorbed by childcare costs and travel for work, lunch etc. My payment off one parent has been reduced substantially because it has been means tested by my wages and maintenance.

Yes I still struggle to cope with paying bills, putting food on the table etc.
    Just because I have incomes from 4 different sources doesn't mean I'm loaded...they are small amounts from each source.

goose2005 wrote: »
    Women have no obligation to support their children, why should men?

Takes 2 to make a baby, both should be equally responsible for bringing it up.

I wonder if some these single mothers even thought of fighting for fathers rights. Ohh it's ok to have sexist system that some women abuse but when handouts from the state are affected kick up a fuss!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭Orando Broom

I'm not a single parent, but I am a young parent (well I think maybe I'm getting old now? :( )
    Anyway, I have had 2 (happy?!) mistakes!
    My own stupidity though - nothing to do with contraception.

But I have talked to so many people who have ended up pregnant through no fault of their own.
    I have never heard it happening to the same person twice though - they would just have to be extremely unlucky!

Buwhahahahah!!! You have the temerity to call other posters stupid!

How did this happen did the fella trip and fall?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭D-Generate

Is there any actual news story behind this or was it a post just to get a one-liner joke in?

Takes two to tango ;)

That was qoute by someone else.

Adoption is an option if you have not got the means to raise a child, plenty of people who cant have children have the means.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

D-Generate wrote: »
    Is there any actual news story behind this or was it a post just to get a one-liner joke in?

AH? Missing an opportunity to be misogynistic and angry? Never :pac:

Toilet seat

• Advertisement

Fear Uladh wrote: »
    Childrens allowance should be abolished for anyone earning over 40,000 a year and even that is a stretch.

Rich people don't have the right to childrens allowance, it should be safeguarded for the vulnerable in society. ....................

So a family earning €40,000/annum shouldn't get children's allowance? So a hardworking family, paying the mortgage etc get none?

Unreal.

If alot of single parents had your attitude then his thread would not be happening. well done and i hope you reach a level of comfort soon.

RoverJames wrote: »
    So a family earning €40,000/annum shouldn't get children's allowance? So a hardworking family, paying the mortgage etc get none?

Unreal.

Why take a massive mortgage if they were gonna struggle to pay it? And have kids on top of that too!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

Oh you are still taking something general I said about an hour ago personally are you?
    Right you are.

Anyway, so you believe that because I said that it was through no fault of their own, that this means I believe it to be the guy's fault?
    No, I mean that condoms split, and sometimes whatever contraceptive method you have chosen just fails.
    (Beginning to see why you took my comment personally actually seeing as you need points spelled out to you twice :rolleyes:)

I guess that it is not really a case of "through no fault of their own" because everyone knows that every time you have sex - protection or no protection - you risk getting pregnant.
    So I guess they could always abstain - not particularly realistic though.

billybudd wrote: »
    If alot of single parents had your attitude then his thread would not be happening. well done and i hope you reach a level of comfort soon.

Thanks billybudd. I just don't like when people tar everyone with the same brush.

IvySlayer wrote: »
    Why take a massive mortgage if they were gonna struggle to pay it? And have kids on top of that too!

I said nothing about a massive mortgage (no couple on €40,000 would have gotten one anyway), replace mortgage with rent if you like, I'm all for childrens allowance to be means tested but having the cut off at €40,000 is madness. There are couples with two kids getting €500+/week off social welfare, paying €20 or less towards their corporation house and getting childrens allowance, why should a self sufficient couple who survive on much the same after their housing is paid for after working for their money not receive the children's allowance?

AH? Missing an opportunity to be misogynistic and angry? Never :pac:

Who is being this? better to be angry than placid.

Thanks billybudd. I just don't like when people tar everyone with the same brush.

I know, but such is life, anyway the only person who can bring you down is yourself.

With your attitude you will be alright, you will breez through the next few yrs.

RoverJames wrote: »
    I said nothing about a massive mortgage (no couple on €40,000 would have gotten one anyway), replace mortgage with rent if you like, I'm all for childrens allowance to be means tested but having the cut off at €40,000 is madness. There are couples with two kids getting €500+/week off social welfare, paying €20 or less towards their corporation house and getting childrens allowance, why should a self sufficient couple who survive on much the same after their housing is paid for after working for their money not receive the children's allowance?

A self sufficient couple wouldn't need the allowance then.

I wonder if it wouldn't better to pay the cost of children rather than just handing out money though. Vouchers for school uniforms books etc.

• Advertisement

IvySlayer wrote: »
    A self sufficient couple wouldn't need the allowance then.

I wonder if it wouldn't better to pay the cost of children rather than just handing out money though. Vouchers for school uniforms books etc.

By self sufficient I meant not being in a state subsidised home and being in receipt of JSA, ie a working family not in receipt of social welfare.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement