Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Single Mothers to stage a protest at budget cuts

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭Newaglish

If there were equal rights in this area there would be a lot more single fathers than there are now. It's a bit hyprocritical to be criticising people for branding single mothers as welfare spongers on one hand and then on the other, blaming all the fathers for abdicating their responsibilities once the woman got pregnant. In reality the majority of cases I know of consist of a mutual break-up and zero possibility for the father to get custody of the child.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

it takes two to tango

There is a legal responsibility in Ireland on parents, whether married or unmarried, to maintain dependent children and on spouses/civil partners to maintain each other in accordance with their means. Maintenance can be paid periodically (i.e., weekly or monthly) or in a lump sum. In Ireland, paying maintenance does not in itself give a parent access or guardianship rights.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/birth_family_relationships/separation_and_divorce/maintenance_orders_and_agreements.html

Fathers/Mothers are responsible for paying for all the needs of child/children

Yeah, it's just that it is very difficult for a single mother to work and pay for childcare, and pay all the bills and so on.
    So if the father does not pay his full share for the child, plus also pay his share for childcare, how is the mother expected to work?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭Sitec

Why don't the government just give them free childcare and let them up-skill/work?

The way it is at the moment it's not worth the mothers while working.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭scholar007

Sitec wrote: »
    Why don't the government just give them free childcare and let them up-skill/work?

If they aren't working - what do they do to pass the time all day?:D

scholar007 wrote: »
    If they aren't working - what do they do to pass the time all day?:D

I'd imagine look after their child/children??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Exactly its a poverty trap

People here should really look into how this backward system works before commenting on it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

I don't mind the payment, it is needed in a lot of cases, however what pisses me off is when the boyfriend and father doesn't put his name on the birthcert and is still around and lives with them however pretends not too and only keeps a few clothes around.

If you know people like this report them !

I'd imagine look after their child/children??

Kids have to go to school so I'd imagine there is a fair bit of free time.....

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

Fittle wrote: »
    My guess is there are alot of AH posters who thought 'Meh, this isn't for me'..and walked away.
    :pac: Good one!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

Seriously some peoples opinions are simply disgusting. I know some career dole bags, but very rarely single mothers. So they are supposed to feed and clothe these kids themselves by working every hour god sends, that if they can find a job and then only to have people complain about their little tearaways because aren't around rearing them like they should be.

Some of the single mothers I know are the finest, most upstanding members of their community and often raise their kids to be so. You will very rarely find a girl in secondary school who would want that kind of life for themselves but **** happens, that is the way life goes. I also know plenty of sperm donors, men who were in relationships and decided they didn't want kids and left. So why don't people admonish them instead of those they chose to leave behind.

Regardless of where they came from these are kids at the end of the day and I would never like to see a kid go hungry,without medication, without clothes because this country decided it wasn't worth it.

And for those of you who think that we should take after the American model, I suggest you look again, of all the social systems in the world that is not the one I would be looking to. Since ye are all so happy to follow it I suggest ye move there and good luck paying for health insurance if you have a pre-existing condition and if not then good luck getting money out of them when you do get ill. Actually when pretty much anything goes wrong for you, because there is no safety net for anyone, so have fun surviving.

"A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Ghandi

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I'll contribute a few condoms to their cause........

You don't sound like you'll ever need them anyway.

Yeah I've wondered about this for years.
    The average single parent claiming opfa gets what €200/€300 per week?
    Plus rent allowance up to about €850 a month?

Childcare costs about €800-€1000 per month.

So it is actually better for the tax payer if they were to get free childcare.
    And obviously better for the parent, the child, and society in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭tonycascarino

I'd say that's the similar story behind alot of them

Kids have to go to school so I'd imagine there is a fair bit of free time.....

True true, forgot about that, I was referring to younger children.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭Kasabian

Yeah!!! A Milf parade.

Will there be a viewing area?

stovelid wrote: »

:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭Kanoe

Yeah I've wondered about this for years.
    The average single parent claiming opfa gets what €200/€300 per week?
    Plus rent allowance up to about €850 a month?

Childcare costs about €800-€1000 per month.

So it is actually better for the tax payer if they were to get free childcare.
    And obviously better for the parent, the child, and society in general.
    (unemployed) single parents get the same as those on unemployment assistance + 20 euro think about it, 20 euro to cover the cost of a child.
    If they are unemployed they get the same rent assitance as other unemployed afaik, the difference being children are prioritised when it comes to housing. Thats the difference.

Kanoe wrote: »
    (unemployed) single parents get the same as those on unemployment assistance + 20 euro think about it, 20 euro to cover the cost of a child.
    If they are unemployed they get the same rent assitance as other unemployed afaik, the difference being children are prioritised when it comes to housing. Thats the difference.

Yeah I know, it's ridiculous.
    I think it is even a bit less actually, maybe €18 or something?

It's one thing for the average Joe to sit about bashing single parents, but you really would expect more from the government.
    Time and time again, they pick the most vulnerable in society, and make them more vulnerable, which has a knock off effect in every day life for all of society- medical expenses, education, special needs, crime rates, addiction rates etc...
    For once - look at the bigger picture you pack of gombeens.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,411 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

stovelid wrote: »

Says the chap who has 22,000 odd posts on boards.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭DoesNotCompute

It's one thing for the average Joe to sit about bashing single parents, but you really would expect more from the government.
    Time and time again, they pick the most vulnerable in society, and make them more vulnerable, which has a knock off effect in every day life for all of society- medical expenses, education, special needs, crime rates, addiction rates etc...

RABBLE, RABBLE, RABBLE

Do you've a better idea of how to close the gap in the deficit? Didn't think so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭moco

I don’t think single mothers should be given houses. I think there should be special accommodation, with crèches. They can work, and have their child minded there. Instead of them being given a house, they live in purpose-built apartment blocks. If they want to live with a new partner, they move as a family into their own accommodation, paid by themselves and their partner.

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

RABBLE, RABBLE, RABBLE

Do you've a better idea of how to close the gap in the deficit? Didn't think so.

Yeah, so that was a load of unintelligible nonsense.
    I never claimed to be an economist, like most people seem to believe they are. :rolleyes:

moco wrote: »
    I don’t think single mothers should be given houses. I think there should be special accommodation, with crèches. They can work, and have their child minded there. Instead of them being given a house, they live in purpose-built apartment blocks. If they want to live with a new partner, they move as a family into their own accommodation, paid by themselves and their partner.

Not necessarily a bad idea, if done right.

There are plenty of genuine girls who for genuine reasons are single parents and need help and assistance.

And then there are sprog machines who have kids for multiple lads and couldn't even hazard a guess as to who the actual father is.
    Why should the state prop up their lifestyle.

If your on lone parents allowance you realistically cannot afford the child/children you have already.

There should be no bonus or extra money for having more.

Fúcking Mickey money is all it is.

There are plenty of genuine girls who for genuine reasons are single parents and need help and assistance.

And then there are sprog machines who have kids for multiple lads and couldn't even hazard a guess as to who the actual father is.
    Why should the state prop up their lifestyle.

If your on lone parents allowance you realistically cannot afford the child/children you have already.

There should be no bonus or extra money for having more.

Fúcking Mickey money is all it is.

Should the tax payers pay for a forced abortion then?
    No contraception is 100% effective, and I personally know dozens of girls who have become pregnant while using various contraceptive methods.
    Or should they be expected to abstain completely, or have their tubes tied?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭Fittle

Gophur wrote: »
    How can you possibly come out with such a statement, unless you have conducted a survey on the subject?

Pure speculation and conjecture on your behalf I guess.

I have masses of surveys and research on the subject. Would you like me to pm it to you?

Should the tax payers pay for a forced abortion then?
    No contraception is 100% effective, and I personally know dozens of girls who have become pregnant while using various contraceptive methods.
    Or should they be expected to abstain completely, or have their tubes tied?

No Tax payers should not have to pay for abortions nor should anyone be forced to abort.

You know dozens of girls who became pregnant using various different contraceptive methods?

Ah here now yee cant be all that unlucky in fairness. Or do you need condoms made of asbestos?

I can bet that if mickey money wasn't so handy available you'd see how careful people would be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

moco wrote: »

That's a great idea. Maybe something along the lines of a laundry service. Maybe we could call them after one of the more famous wimmins from the bible, Mary Magdalene laundries Inc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

RABBLE, RABBLE, RABBLE

RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE

If theyd kept their bleedin legs closed they wouldn't have this issue in the first place....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭moco

TheZohan wrote: »
    That's a great idea. Maybe something along the lines of a laundry service. Maybe we could call them after one of the more famous wimmins from the bible, Mary Magdalene laundries Inc.

Not like that obviously. I knew somebody would say that!:pac:

A normal apartment block where everyone goes about their business as usual, but they aren’t allowed to move partners in…and there’s a free crèche. It would take away the incentive for some people to get pregnant to get a free house.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement