Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Single Mothers to stage a protest at budget cuts

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Says the chap who has 22,000 odd posts on boards.ie

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Tayla

IvySlayer wrote: »

I wonder if it wouldn't better to pay the cost of children rather than just handing out money though. Vouchers for school uniforms books etc.

Do you mean instead of any payment at all? They would just go on jobseekers then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭deisedave

Their really is no right or wrong, some single mothers are just people down on their luck who are in between jobs or their partner ran off but some are women who have 4 children with 4 different fathers and make a career out of it. But its sort of unfair to think all single mothers are skanger scumbags who want nothing more than to live of the social, Their is an good percentage of the single mothers who are slappers with loads of different fathers but I would say the majority are not anything like that.

edit: Even the ones who are scumbags it is not fair to make their kids suffer from no food or heat becuase of their parents alot of people born to scumbags grow up to be really good people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 356 ✭✭hoorsmelt

This thread is very sad, the government is raping the country to pay bonds to international financial institutions who deserve to take a hit, and all you lot can do is attack single mothers? A plague on your houses and shame on you all for for buying into stupid stereotypes. Can any of you d1ckheads who go on about 'career mothers' actually provide any facts/figures as to how many of these 'career mothers' there are and how much they cost the country compared to the banks and politicians? If you can't find any, then I'd suggest you all put up and shut up, single mothers aren't the cause of the economic collapse and deficit, corrupt politicans, bankers and cowboy developers are and you all seem more than happy to subsidise them via recapitalisation and NAMA.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

I dont think many people in this country realise just how much trouble we're in. This budget was soft compared to what will have to be done in future years.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 458 ✭✭Boxoffrogs

billybudd wrote: »
    Oh come on, 1 billion in false claims is not widespread?

With the entire scheme costing 1.1 billion? Where did you pull that figure from, pray tell?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

MagicSean wrote: »
    Not only that, it is also completely the mothers choice as to wether they have the child in the first place. The father has no input.

I think you'll find the father had plenty of "input" :P
    Can any of you d1ckheads who go on about 'career mothers' actually provide any facts/figures as to how many of these 'career mothers' there are and how much they cost the country compared to the banks and politicians? If you can't find any, then I'd suggest you all put up and shut up, single mothers aren't the cause of the economic collapse and deficit, corrupt politicans, bankers and cowboy developers are and you all seem more than happy to subsidise them via recapitalisation and NAMA.

*Sigh* Why do some people insist in topics like this like acting as if people are either for their side of the arguement or pro-bankers?

I'd love to see the bankers and politicans who landed us in this mess done in as well. I'd love to see them punished and I'd love to see those punishments dished out in financial form. But this isn't a topic on bankers. It's a topic on single mothers and the benefits they recieve. If you want to talk what we should do to bankers, create another topic. But meanwhile they don't change the fact there are single mothers who do abuse the benefit system and their are aspects of said system which were crazy in the good times, let alone the bad times.

Whatever arguement you have about single mothers with one kid (and again I say I don't want to punish people who genuinely need the help), what about the ones with two and upwards? Who make the "mistake" multiple times? To have one kid when you cannot financially support it is unfortunate. To have more is idiotic, if it is a "mistake". Why should there be rewards for having three, four or five kids when you don't have a job and cannot provide for them? Why should the government raise your kid?

There's this desire in some people to want to shirk responsibility and try and leave it with someone else, be that the absetee parent, the government or whoever. The truth is that if you have a kid, it should be because you can provide for it and can give it a fair life. If you have a kid by accident, fair enough, you should be helped but you should not be given a crazy abundance of help and there should be NO incentive to have further kids when you cannot even afford the first.

Children's allowance should be means tested; the richest in society should not be getting help when they don't need it. And the benefits being increased per kid should not exist in the first place. To reward people for living beyond their means is crazy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

Boxoffrogs wrote: »
    With the entire scheme costing 1.1 billion? Where did you pull that figure from, pray tell?

One-parent family payment , agree with that

but

don't forget about extras

http://www.welfare.ie/EN/Policy/ResearchSurveysAndStatistics/Documents/statsa2010.pdf

Page 4

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

hoorsmelt wrote: »
    This thread is very sad, the government is raping the country to pay bonds to international financial institutions who deserve to take a hit, and all you lot can do is attack single mothers? A plague on your houses and shame on you all for for buying into stupid stereotypes. Can any of you d1ckheads who go on about 'career mothers' actually provide any facts/figures as to how many of these 'career mothers' there are and how much they cost the country compared to the banks and politicians? If you can't find any, then I'd suggest you all put up and shut up, single mothers aren't the cause of the economic collapse and deficit, corrupt politicans, bankers and cowboy developers are and you all seem more than happy to subsidise them via recapitalisation and NAMA.

Of course they are a cause of the deficit. where do you think child benefit comes from? Money trees?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

It's called child BENEFIT, so it should benefit the CHILD. I think it should be put on a credit card type thingy that can be used in shops like a laser. And not for booze or fags, adult clothes etc and it should be cut completely over a certain income.

IMHO.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

I guess that it is not really a case of "through no fault of their own" because everyone knows that every time you have sex - protection or no protection - you risk getting pregnant.
    So I guess they could always abstain - not particularly realistic though.

Here's an idea, as a woman carries the huge risk of pregnancy, Try having sex after marriage instead of before marriage?

That way these single mothers would get the bulk of a man's assets by law. You know, entitlement to the man's house if he walks away. Sorta helps plug the budget deficit :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

pragmatic1 wrote: »
    I dont think many people in this country realise just how much trouble we're in. This budget was soft compared to what will have to be done in future years.

With some certainly. The rest of us just think that the burden is being spread somewhat unfairly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

This thread is very sad, the government is raping the country to pay bonds to international financial institutions who deserve to take a hit, and all you lot can do is attack single mothers? A plague on your houses and shame on you all for for buying into stupid stereotypes.

The financial sector really has no relevance to welfare fraud.
    Can any of you d1ckheads who go on about 'career mothers' actually provide any facts/figures as to how many of these 'career mothers' there are and how much they cost the country compared to the banks and politicians? If you can't find any, then I'd suggest you all put up and shut up,

Yeah I believe they all sign on the "Raping the System" register.
    single mothers aren't the cause of the economic collapse and deficit, corrupt politicans, bankers and cowboy developers are and you all seem more than happy to subsidise them via recapitalisation and NAMA.

Greed is the cause of the collapse and welfare fraudsters are on a par with greedy bankers in my view. I dislike both. It's not an either/or.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Concerned Mammy

How DARE the government do this! We are ENTITLED to these things, they make it sound like we are robbers. We have to support our babies and feed and cloth them. This is what happens when you get a government run by MEN, they dont know whats it like for a single mother trying to raise her babies on the allowance. Im more than entitled to the allowance and a place to stay to raise my babies, im a good mother and they do not deserve to go hungry. How DARE this government, they dont care about women.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

How DARE the government do this! We are ENTITLED to these things, they make it sound like we are robbers. We have to support our babies and feed an cloth them. This is what happens when you get a government run by MEN, they dont know whats it like for a single mother trying to raise her babies on the allowance. Im more than entitled to the allowance and a place to stay to raise my babies, im a good mother and they do not deserve to go hungry. How DARE this government, they dont care about women.

Go away troll

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

This is what happens when you get a government run by MEN,

Joan Burton, the Social Protection minister....is a woman. Unless she had a sex change previously? :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

How DARE the government do this! We are ENTITLED to these things, they make it sound like we are robbers. We have to support our babies and feed and cloth them. This is what happens when you get a government run by MEN, they dont know whats it like for a single mother trying to raise her babies on the allowance. Im more than entitled to the allowance and a place to stay to raise my babies, im a good mother and they do not deserve to go hungry. How DARE this government, they dont care about women.

Out of interest, where does this entitlement come from? Exactly why are you entitled to anything? It wasn't as if the government forced you to have a child, did they? You are "entitled" to nothing but what you earn, but then you some up a major problem in Ireland; after living in the good times, people think they are entitled to everything and there is no such thing as "luxury" benefits....

Where does this entitlement come from?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

Where does this entitlement come from?

God.

One-parent family payment , agree with that

but

don't forget about extras

http://www.welfare.ie/EN/Policy/ResearchSurveysAndStatistics/Documents/statsa2010.pdf

Page 4

What's your point?

For arguments sake (and this is certainly not the case), even if Rent Supplement was only paid out to lone parents and you add on fuel allowance and back to school payments for this category of claimant, you would still arrive slightly south of 2 billion. In reality it's well below that figure.

I billion fraudulently claimed? over 50% of claimants?

• Advertisement

God.

Since when does God give out cash?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Boxoffrogs wrote: »

He took the population of ireland and multiplied by 225

• Registered Users Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

Since when does God give out cash?

Since he invented money trees.

(That poster only has the 1 post. Most likely a troll if you hadn't realised)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

It wasn't as if the government forced you to have a child, did they?

Abortions are legal now? When did that happen?
    You are "entitled" to nothing but what you earn

Yea lets get those kids working as soon as possible. It is called Child benefit for a reason.

Also to nitpick, you are entitled to get some of your taxes back on benefits.

Hobbes wrote: »
    He took the population of ireland and multiplied by 225

:pThe scientific method, should have guessed

• Registered Users Posts: 4,411 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

Single Mother: I'm not taking this lying down.

What's your favourite position then?!? Doggy.

Out of interest, where does this entitlement come from? Exactly why are you entitled to anything? It wasn't as if the government forced you to have a child, did they? You are "entitled" to nothing but what you earn, but then you some up a major problem in Ireland; after living in the good times, people think they are entitled to everything and there is no such thing as "luxury" benefits....

My babies have the right to go to bed at night not feeling hungry. This is a typical male response, NO idea how hard it is to raise children. Do you consider basic human rights like food, clothing and houses to be a luxury!! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

My babies have the right to go to bed at night not feeling hungry. This is a typical male response, NO idea how hard it is to raise children. Do you consider basic human rights like food, clothing and houses to be a luxury!! :mad:
    Why not get a job and work like everyone else mammy? hmmm.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

This season I'll mostly be responding to troll posts

• Advertisement

pragmatic1 wrote: »
    Why not get a job and work like everyone else mammy? hmmm.

I work 24-7 looking after my babies, I need to be at home with them when they are this young. I do not want them to grow up with their mammy absent during their development.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement