Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mr Slow: The Return

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

RayCun wrote: »
    ...but, but... you didn't ask me for a training plan? :confused:
    :(

Precisely! :P

claralara wrote: »
    In return for what? Filthy...

De what now?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭chinguetti

And you didn't ask me either. i'm hurt so i am

chinguetti wrote: »
    And you didn't ask me either. i'm hurt so i am

I would certainly have asked you, but as you neither train nor follow plans I thought you mightn't be best placed to help with this one! :)

Course Map is here: http://www.donoreharriers.com/images/_client_specific/JingleBellsMap2011(1).jpg

Looks fast enough to me!!!:D:D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Great that it's staying on the upper glen this year, much faster than going down the lower glen.

You're welcome for my help with your training plan btw! :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Mr Slow wrote: »
    The normal one, through the Glen.

that's last year's route! You're just trying to confuse matters, aren't you? :pac:

(I like this route btw - it's about the same net downhill as the route through the Glen, but much flatter. Bit of a drag up Chesterfield near the start, but a long fast downhill finish)

that's last year's route! You're just trying to confuse matters, aren't you? :pac:

(I like this route btw - it's about the same net downhill as the route through the Glen, but much flatter. Bit of a drag up Chesterfield near the start, but a long fast downhill finish)

It's just gone live on the website, so shoot me.

It's as close to a gimme as you'll get, take it!

It's a good course to go for your sub-20 - I'd still be inclined to go for a slightly ahead-of-pace first k, because I think a certain amount of drop-off in the middle of the race is inevitable, but on this course you can get away with running very close to even. On the regular course you have that hill out of the glen near the end, and it's hard to estimate how much you will lose there and how much to compensate. On this course, you shouldn't lose time anywhere, and if you reach 4k under 16 you've made it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

Will you be disposing of the drinks belt for the sub 20 shoe in? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭chinguetti

Ah lads, anyone trying to beat a pb is never a shoe in. And if you go into a race thinking that, you'ld probably end up in trouble.

I know people will laugh at this but i think that course would make someone go out too fast if they weren't clever. You could have the wind in your face for the first km which could feck things up later on.

But its a lightening fast course on paper and you could knock a right hole in a time alright, if one is clever.

It's just as well that one is clever! ;)

I'm going to run the first 2k in just under 8 mins, then open it up for the last 3, even if I'm flagging with a km to go, the downhill gets more favourable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

I'm going to run the first 2k in just under 8 mins, then open it up for the last 3, even if I'm flagging with a km to go, the downhill gets more favourable.

I had decided not to try a sub 20 5k so soon after DCM but sense may be going out the window.....

Go on go on go on go on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

It depends on the goal. the first 2k are the toughest. If you can run the first 2k in 8 minutes flat, I would expect you to run the next 3k well under 12 minutes. Even if you are out on your feet for the last 2k, you could pretty much roll down the hill in 4 min/km :p

Of course if you are going out to go well under 20 minutes than maybe yeay, it would be best to go out at slightly under 4min/km pace.

menoscemo wrote: »
    It depends on the goal. the first 2k are the toughest. If you can run the first 2k in 8 minutes flat, I would expect you to run the next 3k well under 12 minutes. Even if you are out on your feet for the last 2k, you could pretty much roll down the hill in 4 min/km :p

Of course if you are going out to go well under 20 minutes than maybe yeay, it would be best to go out at slightly under 4min/km pace.

My pb is 20:13 and I ran the first 2k of that in 8 mins, this course is very favourable to shave a good bit off of that, subject to the legs being fully recovered of course!

My pb is 20:13 and I ran the first 2k of that in 8 mins and I was wearing a hydration belt with four gels, Chia seeds, Jelly Beans and a bottle of flat Coke, this course is very favourable to shave a good bit off of that, subject to the legs being fully recovered of course!

:D;)

Go on go on go on go on

I did I did I did I did

digger2d2 wrote: »
    :D;)

How's Weight Watchers going for you? :pac:

6.2 miles in 48:42 average pace 7:53

Spent the first half of this run into the wind and feeling absolutely shattered at 8:30 pace, then I turned a corner and everything got easier, by 4.5 miles I hit lap on the Garmin because although it felt good it felt faster than 8:20 pace,and it was!

First 5k: 26:36 average pace - 8:33
    Second 5k: 22:08 average pace -7:07

Legs feel good! :D

• Advertisement

5 reps of this courtesy of Krusty, only problem I had was with the bicycle crunches, will do 10 reps next time.

4 miles in 36 mins, enjoyable recovery run today, it's warm out there!

Drove like a maniac to get to the Dunleer AC cross country event in Darver Co. Louth on time and with 5 mins to spare my little princess Sarah was lined up with the U7's for her first race (200m) and is thrilled with her shiny new medal which is now hanging alongside her Daddy's.

She did a fantastic job and I would like to thank everyone involved, Dunleer AC made us feel very welcome.

Thanks to Ray for the heads up, I'm a very proud Daddy! :D:D:D:D

Raheny have kids' races before the 5 mile, she could probably run in the first of those

Raheny have kids' races before the 5 mile, she could probably run in the first of those

Perfect!!!;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Drove like a maniac to get to the Dunleer AC cross country event in Darver Co. Louth on time and with 5 mins to spare my little princess Sarah was lined up with the U7's for her first race (200m) and is thrilled with her shiny new medal which is now hanging alongside her Daddy's.

She did a fantastic job and I would like to thank everyone involved, Dunleer AC made us feel very welcome.

Thanks to Ray for the heads up, I'm a very proud Daddy! :D:D:D:D

Great stuff for the little one and fair play to you for bringing her out, these are the same brain washing happy memory tactics I went for :D

I'd imagine we could fill a pretty good boards juniors team

Woddle wrote: »

Genius!!!

Woddle wrote: »

Genius!!!

Will claralara qualify for the under 7's ;)

5.06 miles in 42:15 average pace 8:21 min miles.

This was to be 5 x 8:30's but I set off too fast assuming the Garmin was playing up, it wasn't until I passed 1 mile that I realised I was in fact running a low 7:xx pace and I pulled back to run the last 4 @ 8:30.

The strength/speed are returning but the endurance isn't quite back yet.

• Advertisement

Handy run with one wu and cd and 2 @ 8:00 pace.

I started getting a niggle around my hip and to the front of my right leg leading to a loss of form/power at times, I'll get a sports massage in the next little while and hopefully that'll be the end of it!

Advertisement