Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mr Slow: The Return

Options
  • 24-11-2010 1:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭

I only started running in April 2010, so this year has been about growing the distance, getting a lot of miles into the legs and completing DCM without dying. Now I'm ready to move up a level or two, so from Monday next I'll be following Hal Higdon's 5k advanced schedule, then his 10k followed closely by the half marathon and finally the advanced marathon training plan.

Current times:
    1. Dunshaughlin 10k - 54:07
    2. Adidas Half Marathon - 153:19
    3. Adidas Marathon - 4:15

Goals for 2011:
    1. Sub 20 min 5k
    2. Sub 45 min 10k
    3. Sub 1:40 Half
    4. Sub 3:50 Marathon

Let the games begin.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Some of those targets look familiar - and one looks a little unambitious :)

Any races targetted yet? Jingle Bells/New Years Day/MSB St Patrick's day for a 5k? Raheny 5 mile?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

RayCun wrote: »
    Some of those targets look familiar - and one looks a little unambitious :)

Any races targetted yet? Jingle Bells/New Years Day/MSB St Patrick's day for a 5k? Raheny 5 mile?

Which one?

Nope, I'm not racing this side of Christmas. I'd like to do the Navan AC 10k on St Stephen's Day but the diet the day before may kill that one;)

Which one? Well, if you plug a 19.59 5k into Macmillan you get 41.31 for a 10k, 1.32 for a HM, and 3.14.49 for the marathon.

Which one? Well, if you plug a 19.59 5k into Macmillan you get 41.31 for a 10k, 1.32 for a HM, and 3.14.49 for the marathon.

Don't mind Macmillan, there's too many variables.

Twice your half time plus a half hour for your marathon and the same ratio in reverse seems to be reasonably accurate for me at least.

Sure its ages away yet anyway. But I bet if you hit those other targets, you'll start revising that marathon target...

• Advertisement

Sure its ages away yet anyway. But I bet if you hit those other targets, you'll start revising that marathon target...

You're probably right, but I wanted an early marker as this year I only really got fit through Marathon training - my last 2 miles of training were done in 14:30 and my marathon target became unrealistic so I want to have all my speed/fitness sorted before I start training for DCM when I'll have a real idea of what's achievable and what's not. (Remind me of this when next year comes around and I start quoting Declan Moffit of Tommy Tiernan fame.)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Best of luck with the new log and achieving new PBs :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

That Macmillan lad :mad:.......It's his fault I ran the last 10 miles of the DCM like I was playing Twister.....;)

Good luck with the goals mrslow.....It's looking like there's a bunch of us aiming for the same sort of times so it should be interesting to see how we get on!

digger2d2 wrote: »
    That Macmillan lad :mad:.......It's his fault I ran the last 10 miles of the DCM like I was playing Twister.....;)

Good luck with the goals mrslow.....It's looking like there's a bunch of us aiming for the same sort of times so it should be interesting to see how we get on!

I feel a group training thread coming on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭RubyK

Best of luck with the new log and future goals mrslow! No bother to ya :)

• Advertisement

RubyK wrote: »
    Best of luck with the new log and future goals mrslow! No bother to ya :)

Thanks Ruby, how goes it with you?

mrslow wrote: »
    Thanks Ruby, how goes it with you?

Still no running for me mrslow! But I'm back with the physio later today, so I'm hoping he'll give me some positive news. This non-running lifestyle is not good for the mind, not to mention the body :pac:

RubyK wrote: »
    Still no running for me mrslow! But I'm back with the physio later today, so I'm hoping he'll give me some positive news. This non-running lifestyle is not good for the mind, not to mention the body :pac:

Touch wood you'll be back out there just in time for all of the sleet and snow;)

Touch wood you'll be back out there just in time for all of the sleet and snow;)

Bring it on!!

I feel a group training thread coming on.

There was a 'marathon improvers' thread this year, but it didn't seem to have a lot of traffic. maybe next year in a '3.29 to 3.59' thread?

We should definitely do more group runs on Saturdays though, for next year's marathon training. We could have two or three pace groups going...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

Did I see you organising a group run for Sunday morning? Whether I'm there or not depends on how good a night I have on Sat and whether the temp on Sunday morning has risen above -5! Would love to get a long run in but don't think it's very likely...

Best of luck with the goals, some look ambitious (nothing wrong with that), some bang on and one in particular looks conservative based on the others. It'll be interesting to see how soon you hit them and how quickly they get revised ;)

Any plans to get out for some XC in the new year? I found it added hugely to my fitness and mental toughness last year, and therefore to my speed as well. Knocked out 4 PB's (5m, 2x10k & HM) in 15 days a few weeks after my last XC race of the season.

xebec wrote: »
    Did I see you organising a group run for Sunday morning? Whether I'm there or not depends on how good a night I have on Sat and whether the temp on Sunday morning has risen above -5! Would love to get a long run in but don't think it's very likely...

Best of luck with the goals, some look ambitious (nothing wrong with that), some bang on and one in particular looks conservative based on the others. It'll be interesting to see how soon you hit them and how quickly they get revised ;)

Any plans to get out for some XC in the new year? I found it added hugely to my fitness and mental toughness last year, and therefore to my speed as well. Knocked out 4 PB's (5m, 2x10k & HM) in 15 days a few weeks after my last XC race of the season.

As always excuse my ignorance but 'XC'?

cross country, aka rolling around in the mud

cross country, aka rolling around in the mud

Oh no! I might get my soon to be purchased shiny new runners all dirty.

I'll suffer the extra 10 or so mins in the marathon to stay pretty:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

Oh no! I might get my soon to be purchased shiny new runners all dirty.

I'll suffer the extra 10 or so mins in the marathon to stay pretty:D

Ah go way out of that, get a cheap pair of spikes and they'll be a great investment for spring and summer racing!

• Advertisement

Sneachta, now that puts the training out a touch!

Decided to run 4 miles this evening, ended up doing them in 33 mins which I was very happy about given it was the first time I had trained on snow, gait and form went out the window though and I'd say if I had been on dry ground I'd have knocked a minute off of each mile.

Yesterday went for some cross training, Mrs. Slow, the kids and I decided to go for a long walk in the snow (3 miles out and back to be precise), stopping in to a lovely pub for lunch midway, all was going well until we were leaving and the sun had gone down taking any bit of warmth with it and I carried my 3 year old the three miles home while Mrs. Slow battled through with my 5 year old in the buggy. -5 degrees all the way, happy times :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

So, are you coming to the beers on saturday?

Weather permitting:D

No running so far this week and I'm going nuts!!!

looks like it will all be melted by tomorrow, thank ****

Amen Brother!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Amen Brother!

Group run planned for tomorrow lads if you're interested.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055449727

menoscemo wrote: »
    Group run planned for tomorrow lads if you're interested.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055449727

Thanks but I have the kids tomorrow, will have to catch ye next week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

I did 2 x 5 milers (too quickly) in the snow/ice over the last while and suffered for it...Slightly sore knees and hips...Guess it was all the dodgy footing. I am now completely cabin fevered and the heavy cold I got followed by the recurrence of same has not helped....I need a plan Dan and quickly!!

• Advertisement

digger2d2 wrote: »
    I did 2 x 5 milers (too quickly) in the snow/ice over the last while and suffered for it...Slightly sore knees and hips...Guess it was all the dodgy footing. I am now completely cabin fevered and the heavy cold I got followed by the recurrence of same has not helped....I need a plan Dan and quickly!!

Soundin pretty down there dude, would a 12 mile stretch of the legs on Saturday morning help?

Advertisement